PDA

View Full Version : Moves that you don't like

Cornish Pixie
11th-November-2004, 01:29 PM
Do any men here lead moves that they don't like just to add variety to their routine?

djtrev
11th-November-2004, 01:57 PM
Half windmill.Dont like it,dont use it!!!

Bigger Andy
11th-November-2004, 02:00 PM
Do any men here lead moves that they don't like just to add variety to their routine?

There are too many moves to remember them all.
I guess that you remember the ones that you like
and forget the ones that you dislike.

Once you have a sufficiently large repertoire of moves
you don't use the moves that you don't like as you have
forgotten them already !

:whistle:

Graham
11th-November-2004, 02:20 PM
Not for that reason, no. I wouldn't normally do an armjive in freestyle, but will do it with beginners, or sometimes to start a dance with an improver. I don't particularly dislike it, it just doesn't do much for me. I also sometimes do moves I don't like because I want to practice something I'm having problems with. Generally speaking I can get plenty of variety with moves I do like.

Cornish Pixie
11th-November-2004, 02:55 PM

:yeah:

Gadget
11th-November-2004, 04:36 PM
I don't like doing the same move more than twice in a dance - no matter what the move:

I can't count the number of times I have went "noooo... I didn't want to do this..." when I realise I have just entered into yet another shoulder-slide or man-spin or crossed-hands-yo-yo... :tears:

latinlover
11th-November-2004, 05:19 PM

:yeah: :yeah:

me too

I don't use the hallelujah much - I don't particularly mind it but Sue hates it and it really winds her up! :rofl:

Stuart M
11th-November-2004, 06:04 PM
Generally I only do push spins when I'm taxiing. In freestyle I think they're naff.

(IMHO)

ChrisA
11th-November-2004, 06:51 PM
Generally I only do push spins when I'm taxiing. In freestyle I think they're naff.

.....:yeah:

And the arm jive too. Hate it. Never do it except if I have to teach it in the review class. And never in freestyle.

And the side-to-side-shoulders. I mean, what kind of stupid name is that? Shoulders don't enter into it (he said in a shrill, Pythonesque tone).

If I'm going to start with anything totally simple for a new beginner, then rather than an arm jive, I'll just do a couple of in-and-outs (without the stupid, ugly :( :eek: :innocent: :whistle: horrible double semicircle, obviously - except when it's Viktor) which starts to teach her to actually step back and forwards again, and also starts getting her to recognise the feel of compression.

Chris

Whitebeard
11th-November-2004, 09:39 PM
And the arm jive too. Hate it. Never do it .....
I used to feel this way but now they've added the swizzle ending I've brought it into my limited repertoire.

And the side-to-side-shoulders. I mean, what kind of stupid name is that?
Stupid name, but beginners' can't be choosers, especially as it's so simple and as the initial move is good for getting into the feel and rythm of the music. It's quite a good ice-breaker and at least sets me off with a feeling of some confidence.

philsmove
11th-November-2004, 11:03 PM
I try to avoid doing anything I don’t like

Despite lots of request to put “the tunnel” in room 101, it still reappears in the odd class

So to back you questing, YES I have done moves I don’t like
But I would never lead them to add variety
Dancing is all about enjoyment
So I would add a move, I don’t like, for my partner enjoyment, but this would be very rare

ChrisA
11th-November-2004, 11:24 PM
I used to feel this way but now they've added the swizzle ending I've brought it into my limited repertoire.

It certainly improves it!!

But the swizzle can be led quite nicely after any time you've stepped her back, on her right foot, naturally :innocent: , and then forward again.

So any time she comes forward on her right foot you can use it as a prepare for the clockwise turn into the swizzle.

The reason the swizzle works as an exit from the arm jive is becuase it gets her slightly forward on her right foot with her weight on it, prior to a clockwise turn into the half-nelson.

Chris

PS Note that the only difference between the swizzle exit and the original exit from the arm-jive is that you dont let go with your right hand. Obviously this requires more care, in order not to inflict any pain during the swizzle (half nelson) bit.

Whitebeard
12th-November-2004, 12:09 AM
So any time she comes forward on her right foot you can use it as a prepare for the clockwise turn into the swizzle

The reason the swizzle works as an exit from the arm jive is becuase it gets her slightly forward on her right foot with her weight on it, prior to a clockwise turn into the half-nelson..
I'm afraid I barely know what my own feet are doing, let alone my partners', so I pretty well stick to 'as taught' moves/variations where someone else has already done the thinking for me.

PS Note that the only difference between the swizzle exit and the original exit from the arm-jive is that you dont let go with your right hand. Obviously this requires more care, in order not to inflict any pain during the swizzle (half nelson) bit.
I would only attempt this move to slower music and I really think I've moved on from the grippy yanky stage and developed quite a relaxed and gently progressive lead. That, and some musicality and style is what I'm going for at present. But, if I hear scrunching noises or a scream, I'll detach immediately and completely !!!!

Jon L
12th-November-2004, 12:31 AM
The beginners moves I avoid using these days are the shoulder slide, the half windmill, and the step across. I may use the armjive if I want a breather, but I usually turn it into a gate, womans half mangle or a deck chair seducer after.

For reasons due to my height the archie spin isn't used much, On one occasion I hit a woman (who was 5'7'' and I am only 5'5'') on the nose accidentally :tears: :sad: so after that I rarely use it

Whitebeard
12th-November-2004, 12:50 AM
On one occasion I hit a woman ....... on the nose.
Wheee ..... I'm not alone. It was in a class a fair time ago and I can't remember the move but I haven't got the excuse of any great disparity in heights (I've ruined a few hairdos too in my time!). A few weeks later she unaccountably declined my offer of a freestyle dance with a limp excuse about a bad knee ..... next thing I knew she was up there with someone else. And every time we come together in the line-up this prior experience hangs between us. Maybe it's time I asked her again.

MartinHarper
12th-November-2004, 01:35 AM
Just goes to show how tastes vary... the push spin, arm jive, side to side, and in and out are amongst my favourite moves. :)

To answer the original question, I don't like moves I can't lead properly, and yet I often try them, because I figure it's a good way to learn to lead them, and thus turn them into moves I might potentially like. I also often try moves I don't particularly like because I expect that eventually I'll find ways of dancing them that I do like. So I guess in those situations I am leading moves that I don't like as a way of increasing variety. I don't particularly care about variety over the course of an individual dance (indeed, I can think a few occasions when I have danced a entire song with only one move). I'm more interested in variety over the course of a week.

Incidentally, there are lots of other reasons I might lead a move I don't particularly like. For starters, it might be a move my partner likes. :)

Lou
12th-November-2004, 10:49 AM
I loathe the Full Nelson. I must have bad technique, as everytime it's taught in a class I manage to put my shoulder out. If a man leads it in freestyle, I'll let him do the first Half Nelson & then simply return. :D ;)

Gadget
12th-November-2004, 01:46 PM
But the swizzle can be led quite nicely after any time you've stepped her back, on her right foot, naturally :innocent: , and then forward again.
One of my 'normal' moves is to go directly from a basket-unwrap into a swizzle.

Most common error I have seen in this move is the lady's not coming round far enough to face you (or if leading, not extending the arm to the left enough)