PDA

View Full Version : Signalling excuses

MartinHarper
9th-November-2004, 11:52 PM
We've all been there: dancing happily away when suddenly you get pulled over by the dancing police and ticketed for excessive signalling. However, thanks to this forum I now know a number of wonderful excuses for pretending that I wasn't signalling at all, such as:

"It's just for emphasis"
"I'm moving my hand to the right place early"
"I'm just keeping my hand out of the way"

And of course, my number one favourite excuse:
"It's not really a signal!"

Any more? :)

DavidB
10th-November-2004, 12:11 AM
"Bloody mosquitos!"

"It looked cool when Viktor did it."

"It's the only way I could stop you taking my hand."

"It's 'Jai Chi' - a blend of modern jive and tai chi. There's a workshop this weekend if you are interested?"

Graham
10th-November-2004, 12:18 AM
"Sorry, Windy Miller's just been to Trumpton"

"I wanted to practice double trouble even though I couldn't find a second partner"

"I was just waving to the barman to get my next pint ready"

"G'day, mate!"

Gojive
10th-November-2004, 12:45 AM
"I wasn't signalling, I was just pointing out my lovely new B&Ws"

"Yes I was signalling, but not at my partner. Look again at my fingers :devil: "

MartinHarper
10th-October-2005, 04:01 PM
"My partner is covered in contact poison, and I'm being hunted by the Russian mafia".

New threads, same old arguments. :)

CJ
10th-October-2005, 04:05 PM
I wasn't signalling, I'm a mason....

Oh, my trouser leg has rolled up...:blush:

I was just conducting the band...:D

Lou
10th-October-2005, 04:06 PM
That's not a signal - it's style!

David Bailey
10th-October-2005, 04:16 PM
I was just picking my nose / scratching my bum.

(Well, it's less of a faux pas than signalling)

Asif
10th-October-2005, 04:37 PM
We've all been there: dancing happily away when suddenly you get pulled over by the dancing police and ticketed for excessive signalling.....etc.
Nee Naw Nee Naw Nee Naw (well, i don't know how to do that new police siren noise!!) ..... Amongst a display of blue flashing lights, Frank and Dave (the Dance Police) stop suddenly at the side of the dance floor. They quickly walk on an drag MartinHarper off the dance floor, in hand-cuffs, kicking and screaming "It wasn't a SIGNALLLLL...!!!".

They take him round the back of the dance hall and, under the thump thump thumping noise of the current track being played, a muffled gunshot noise is heard from their direction.

"Good", says Frank turning to Dave. "That's one less we have to worry about. Let's get back and check on the others".

:innocent:

Lou
10th-October-2005, 04:57 PM
drag MartinHarper off the dance floor, in hand-cuffs,
I see you've danced in Worcester before, then...

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2005, 05:01 PM
is that WOO-ster or WOO-ces-TER like the adverts for the sauce ? I'm confused you see.

ooh shiny :)

Asif
10th-October-2005, 05:18 PM
drag MartinHarper off the dance floor, in hand-cuffs, I see you've danced in Worcester before, then...
No i haven't actually. Is this a pre-requisite? Will i be given some at the door if i turn up without any? :wink:

killingtime
11th-October-2005, 01:41 PM
We've all been there: dancing happily away when suddenly you get pulled over by the dancing police and ticketed for excessive signalling.

Hang on. I'm not meant to signal anymore :confused:? I always assumed that signaling was a good thing but I haven't been dancing that long so... is there a stage where you shouldn't be signaling anymore?

ducasi mentioned to me that very few teachers teach the Neck Break signal as it isn't really required and looks a bit naff (Edinburgh does) but should I not be signaling on the Man Spin and such?

:confused: :(

spindr
11th-October-2005, 01:57 PM
Hang on. I'm not meant to signal anymore :confused:? I always assumed that signaling was a good thing but I haven't been dancing that long so... is there a stage where you shouldn't be signaling anymore?
Well, just don't get confused -- even if you signal you still need to lead the move -- the problem comes when you rely on the signal and don't lead the move.

Oh, and there are some other problems :) (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/the_lead_and_follow_connection.html#signalling_is_ not_leading)
SpinDr.

P.S. A list of signals if you really want one (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/modern_jive_signals.html)

Lou
11th-October-2005, 02:15 PM
Oh, and there are some other problems :) (http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/the_lead_and_follow_connection.html#signalling_is_ not_leading)
What do I win for knowing that signal 47 was a Dropkick? :D

Asif
11th-October-2005, 08:51 PM
What do I win for knowing that signal 47 was a Dropkick? :D
What's football got to do with it?? :confused:

Asif
11th-October-2005, 09:09 PM
Hang on. I'm not meant to signal anymore :confused:? I always assumed that signaling was a good thing ... blah blah blah (
Blamn - killingtime falls onto his left knee, blood pouring out of his left thigh. Prrrt - a hail of bullets hit him squarely in the chest.

He falls to the floor, clutching at his chest. Two shadowy figures walk towards him lean over his bleading body. "Go on Frank, finish him off", says one of the hoods, beaconing to his accomplice. The other man lifts his Colt 45 and lines up the sight. "I told you not to do that signal with the manspin ... didn't I ... punk!!"

Boom - killingtime falls to the floor. There is hushed momentary slience, broken only by the words from the DJ "And now for a bit of Charlotte Church". killingtime is dragged off the floor, his partner worridly looking for someone new to dance with. Everyone else carries one like nothing happened ..... !!

David Bailey
11th-October-2005, 09:30 PM
Blamn - killingtime falls onto his left knee, blood pouring out of his left thigh. Prrrt - a hail of bullets hit him squarely in the chest.
Blimey, when you said you two were going to have a bump-off to determine who owns that avatar, I didn't think you meant it so literally.

David Franklin
11th-October-2005, 09:34 PM

He falls to the floor, clutching at his chest. Two shadowy figures walk towards him lean over his bleading body. "Go on Frank, finish him off", says one of the hoods, beaconing to his accomplice. The other man lifts his Colt 45 and lines up the sight. "I told you not to do that signal with the manspin ... didn't I ... punk!!"

Boom - killingtime falls to the floor. There is hushed momentary slience, broken only by the words from the DJ "And now for a bit of Charlotte Church". Oh come on, no self-respecting venue manager would ever let that happen! Have you ever tried to get blood out of the grooves in a wooden floor?

ducasi
11th-October-2005, 11:30 PM

ducasi mentioned to me that very few teachers teach the Neck Break signal as it isn't really required and looks a bit naff (Edinburgh does) but should I not be signaling on the Man Spin and such?

:confused: :( I don't regard anything I do as a signal, but I'll usually stick my hand out in the proscribed manner for a man-spin. I don't for a moment think it's telling the lady anything, but it makes for a nice preparation for the move, so whatever...

(I also can't remember the last time we've been taught to do this in a beginner's class, so maybe it's another dropped signal...)

And as I said, other placing of hands to allow the girl to connect with them aren't signals in my book...

The only other ones might be the catapult hand-hold (which I think just makes the move easier) and the preparation for the archie spin, and I'm unsure whether it's a signal or a lead...

(Oh yeah, I don't think the different handhold for a yo-yo vs a hatchback is a real signal either – if you're going to let go, sooner is better than later.)

Thinking more... Is a flat hand a signal for a push spin? Not always, but I guess it usually signals we're about to do something different... Hmm...

killingtime
12th-October-2005, 10:05 AM
The only other ones might be the catapult hand-hold (which I think just makes the move easier) and the preparation for the archie spin, and I'm unsure whether it's a signal or a lead...

Thinking more... Is a flat hand a signal for a push spin? Not always, but I guess it usually signals we're about to do something different... Hmm...

Well the flat hand both indicates a push spin and also stops you pushing a woman's fingers when they are curled. In the case of the archie spin I'd say it's a bit of both. The hand needs to be in that position to allow the spin but at the same time it's a signal of what she is about to do.

killingtime
12th-October-2005, 10:08 AM
Blamn - killingtime falls onto his left knee, blood pouring out of his left thigh.

Not the knees! How will I dance :eek:?

Prrrt - a hail of bullets hit him squarely in the chest.

Oh well; that sorts that question :(.

Asif
12th-October-2005, 10:16 AM
Oh come on, no self-respecting venue manager would ever let that happen! Have you ever tried to get blood out of the grooves in a wooden floor?
Nope but it sounds like you have :eek: . Better send Frank and Dave round for some "floor-cleaning" practice!

David Franklin
12th-October-2005, 10:28 AM
Have you ever tried to get blood out of the grooves in a wooden floor?
Nope but it sounds like you have :eek:If you're a serial killer, it's very important to be aware of such things, lest you leave vital DNA evidence that could be used to link you to the victims.

Umm... I'm told... :blush:

Asif
12th-October-2005, 02:17 PM
If you're a serial killer, it's very important to be aware of such things, lest you leave vital DNA evidence that could be used to link you to the victims.

Umm... I'm told... :blush:
Hmmmm.....thanks for that. I'll tell Dave and Frank.