PDA

View Full Version : 3 moves then some style

stewart38
9th-November-2004, 04:43 PM
I've attended a few ceroc venues now which instead of teaching the '4th' move in the intermediates ,are teaching some 'styling points' in its place

I think this is a great idea

If this has appeared on an old thread sorry :blush:

Zebra Woman
9th-November-2004, 06:08 PM
Yes, I think this is an excellent idea. Very often the 4th move overloads us to the point where we have forgotten all of the moves taught in the intermediate class by the following week. Plus very ofter the intermediate class is a lot longer than 30 minutes. I have known them last 50 minutes on freestyle nights :angry: . I like them to stop on time, but with everything covered properly, so 3 moves plus style would be great for me :clap:
ZW :flower:

philsmove
9th-November-2004, 06:15 PM
I have to admit, by the time I get to the 4th or sometimes the 5th move, the memory bank is beginning to overload :sick:

So yes this gets my vote :clap: :clap: :clap:

Another variation is to repeat a move form last week. This can be an opportunity to put a bit of style, into a move you have already learnt

Gus
9th-November-2004, 09:52 PM
I've attended a few ceroc venues now which instead of teaching the '4th' move in the intermediates ,are teaching some 'styling points' in its placeWhat?? Has Ceroc started copying the Blitz format :wink: :devil: :devil: Sorry for the dig but Blitz gave been doing this for a couple of years. Having taught under both models I say that the "3 moves + style" option wins hands down. :grin:

Jive Brummie
9th-November-2004, 09:55 PM
Have to admit, I've never seen this before, but can say that i like it.

Sounds like a great idea.

So what exactly do they teach in the bit that the 4th move would normally have been in?

JB x x

Gus
9th-November-2004, 10:03 PM
So what exactly do they teach in the bit that the 4th move would normally have been in? urrr ... we teach the first three moves PROPERLY! :whistle: :wink: Seriously, I dont see how you ca teach four moves well in 30 minutes. By the time I've tried to explain the feel of the move, the usual errors and how to meld the moves together, I'm hard pressed to teach even 3 moves in the allotted time.

DavidB
9th-November-2004, 11:59 PM
Seriously, I dont see how you ca teach four moves well in 30 minutes. By the time I've tried to explain the feel of the move, the usual errors and how to meld the moves together, I'm hard pressed to teach even 3 moves in the allotted time.
The last time we taught MJ, we did 3 moves in 30 minutes, together with a lot of safety, technique and style points.
We were told after the class that several people in the class thought we wasted too much time talking about safety and technique. After all we were just teaching dance moves, not drops or lifts.

Gus
10th-November-2004, 12:10 AM
The last time we taught MJ, we did 3 moves in 30 minutes, together with a lot of safety, technique and style points.
We were told after the class that several people in the class thought we wasted too much time talking about safety and technique. After all we were just teaching dance moves, not drops or lifts.Ah well ... I've always been slow.....

MartinHarper
10th-November-2004, 12:23 AM
Heh. In a one hour weekly lesson, TRDC teaches one new move, then some revision. Or, in the case of the first beginner lesson of the term, they teach the "First Move" for an hour. Fantastic stuff, if completely inapplicable to the "Ceroc model". :)

stewart38
10th-November-2004, 12:41 AM
Have to admit, I've never seen this before, but can say that i like it.

Sounds like a great idea.

So what exactly do they teach in the bit that the 4th move would normally have been in?

JB x x

This week they showed how to dance to the tempo of a fast song listening to the beat and then every other beat, so didnt review other 3 moves

I think its good because we do 100s of moves in ceroc and so little of 'style' in its very broad sense.

Its going to be repeated next week. It doesnt cut into free style time as your omitting 4th move.

Its good because after 6 weeks you can do intermediate but years down the line what are you learning ?

Whitebeard
10th-November-2004, 12:46 AM
Heh. In a one hour weekly lesson, TRDC teaches one new move, then some revision. Or, in the case of the first beginner lesson of the term, they teach the "First Move" for an hour. Fantastic stuff, if completely inapplicable to the "Ceroc model".
TRDC = JazzJive Swing.

Yes, looking back, and being a very slow learner, JazzJive got me off to a good start with MJ despite problems with an echoey venue and barely audible teacher.

Unfortunately the nights clash, and I enjoy the buzz and companionship of the Ceroc nights which are better attended and 'clubby', so that's where I end up at present.

Since you obviously attend both, I wonder how you rate the music which, for me, is the one downside of the Ceroc nights.

Gojive
10th-November-2004, 01:02 AM
Katy at Rebel Roc teaches just the 3 moves in intermediates, which I have to say I prefer.

As Philsmove mentioned, repeating a move from the previous week would be good as a refresher (possibly to start the set?), together with perhaps one 'core intermediate' move (not covered enough in many venues IMO), and one of a more challening nature.

That should provide something for all levels, and a bit of time for styling/safety etc as well :).