PDA

View Full Version : A walk and pose dance?

Cornish Pixie
8th-November-2004, 11:25 AM
A website i recently visited stated Ceroc as this. Do you agree. How can it be a serious of poses if you are constantly moving and these "Poses" are intergrated into this movement. E.g. the flowing of a womans arm from a return into a first move.

Also any tips for dancing instead of walking. Does anyone incorparate salsa steps or lindy etc into their basic step?

spindr
8th-November-2004, 01:34 PM
A website i recently visited stated Ceroc as this.

Oooh, which site was that?

Gadget
8th-November-2004, 02:02 PM
A website i recently visited stated Ceroc as this. Do you agree. How can it be a serious of poses if you are constantly moving and these "Poses" are intergrated into this movement. E.g. the flowing of a womans arm from a return into a first move.

Also any tips for dancing instead of walking. Does anyone incorparate salsa steps or lindy etc into their basic step?
I agree with the "pose" bit, but perhaps not as you are thinking - on every change of direction and barrier type move, there is a "window of opportunity" {:wink:} that should see both dancers posed - if you took a picture of dancers at these points during a dance it would look like a seres of poses. {well, it should look like that :(}

The "walk" bit I am a bit confused with; yes, there are a few walks and prominades that can be inserted into your dance, but most dancing uses the same floorspace from start to finish.

And to answer your question, yes - lots of people incorporate salsa/lindy/wcs... into their MJ. It works better when the men can lead it and the lady's match them.

MartinHarper
8th-November-2004, 05:03 PM
I don't know about poses, but "walking dance" seems accurate. There are quite a few walk-like moves that keep the same floorspace: eg mambo walks and walkarounds. Also, there's a lot of "step back", "step forward" in move descriptions, and when you do lots of steps in a row, it tends to look like walking. Like Spindr, I'd love to read the original website you took that from.

Andy McGregor
8th-November-2004, 05:19 PM
I think that the way many people dance a better description would be 'walk and wave' :whistle:

MartinHarper
8th-November-2004, 07:36 PM
Found it...

http://www.thethirdrow.co.uk/About%20dance/Dance;%20ten%20commandments.htm

Cornish Pixie
10th-November-2004, 02:44 PM
The "walk" bit I am a bit confused with; yes, there are a few walks and prominades that can be inserted into your dance, but most dancing uses the same floorspace from start to finish

I don't mean walk as in mambo walks etc.

I mean because unlike salsa etc where you are taught the basic step and incorparate moves from this you can basically do what you want with your feet within certain boundaries.

The only problem with this is that the footwork taught in mj is very blocky and sometimes looks like walking.

How can walking to the beat be converted to dancing?Especially when i read on one thread that "bouncing to the music" was a bad thing to do?

MartinHarper
10th-November-2004, 04:00 PM
How can walking to the beat be converted to dancing?

Learn some other dance that has footwork. Use that footwork in MJ. You've given examples of salsa and lindy, but there are lots of alternatives, including non-partnered dances. I tend to use swing-ish footwork, because that's what I get taught in JazzJive. If you don't want to learn another dance, just take out all the standard "steps" in your dance and replace them with other stuff: hops, skips, jumps, kicks, kick-downs, taps, triple steps, swivels, slides, etc.