PDA

View Full Version : Raffles

MartinHarper
6th-November-2004, 11:39 PM
Is there any point to raffles at dance events, except to cut into my freestyle time?

bigdjiver
7th-November-2004, 01:49 AM
Is there any point to raffles at dance events, except to cut into my freestyle time? :devil: If someone gives out a free lucky admission ticket to every entrant, and you use 153 tickets, and the door person says only 137 came in ...

An unpleasant answer, but you did ask. :sad:

Otherwise I think they are totally naff.

Jive Brummie
7th-November-2004, 12:56 PM
Doesn't the money normally go to charity?

That must be worth a 10 mintue break?

Dance Demon
7th-November-2004, 01:18 PM

That must be worth a 10 mintue break?

Sometimes it does James, sometimes it's used to help cover organisers costs. Depending on where your event is held and the overheads incurred, raffle proceeds can sometimes make the difference between making a loss or breaking even. Most organisers put a lot of time and effort into providing a dance night, and also try to keep ticket prices as reasonable as possible. In these instances a short break is not too much to ask IMHO...could make all the difference as to whether a venue stays open or not.

MartinHarper
7th-November-2004, 02:00 PM

At some of my local Ceroc venues, one is given a "free" raffle ticket after coughing up the six quid to get in, and that was the sort of raffle I was thinking of. So, in these cases, the short break is helping neither charity, nor the venue, as far as I can tell.

DavidY
7th-November-2004, 02:15 PM
At some of my local Ceroc venues, one is given a "free" raffle ticket after coughing up the six quid to get in, and that was the sort of raffle I was thinking of. So, in these cases, the short break is helping neither charity, nor the venue, as far as I can tell.I've seen this before too. But I've also seen a variant where you only get a ticket if you arrive by a certain time (eg. before 9:00). I could see this helps the venues and dancers by encouraging people to turn up earlier.

bigdjiver
7th-November-2004, 05:26 PM
I go to a dance class to learn and to dance, not to gamble. I donate to charity as it suits me. Selfish as it may be, I am not willing to donate dancing time to charity. I would give watching TV time, sleeping time, playing games time, but not dancing time.

Andy McGregor
7th-November-2004, 06:22 PM
I have strong feelings about having my night interrupted by raffles. The drawing of a raffle is not remotely entertaining - so why stop the night so that everyone can listen to it? The best organisation of a raffle I've seen is where the winning tickets are drawn and stuck onto envelopes in which a piece of paper has the prize you've won written on it. These envelopes were stuck on a board and people claimed their prize when they took a break from dancing. Money was raised for the charity, nobody go their dancing interrupted :clap:

Baruch
9th-November-2004, 12:59 AM
At some of my local Ceroc venues, one is given a "free" raffle ticket after coughing up the six quid to get in, and that was the sort of raffle I was thinking of. So, in these cases, the short break is helping neither charity, nor the venue, as far as I can tell.
At my local venue (Planet Le Roc, Cardiff), everyone who comes to a freestyle night is given a free raffle ticket, but there isn't a raffle draw in hte conventional sense. Instead, everyone is called onto the dance floor and the tickets are drawn while we're dancing. If your number is called you have to leave the floor. The last couple left dancing wins the prize. Much more fun than a normal raffle.