PDA

View Full Version : Has Ceroc Spoilt Me?

drathzel
6th-November-2004, 10:11 PM
I am just about to go clubbing in my VERY favorite club called bamboo in Glasgow. Its an RnB Nightclub and i just love it, ie no kids and lots of lovely eligble bachelors! Now to get myself in the mood i have put on a few RnB tracks, and low and behold i start cerocing (yes by myself, i looked very odd) Its all i seemed to want to do! I am now worried that Ceroc has spoilt me and i will no longer be able to enjoy RnB the way i used to :tears: ! Has anyone else come across this or am i just really odd?

Scotch Bonnet
6th-November-2004, 10:22 PM
I am just about to go clubbing in my VERY favorite club called bamboo in Glasgow. Its an RnB Nightclub and i just love it, ie no kids and lots of lovely eligble bachelors! Now to get myself in the mood i have put on a few RnB tracks, and low and behold i start cerocing (yes by myself, i looked very odd) Its all i seemed to want to do! I am now worried that Ceroc has spoilt me and i will no longer be able to enjoy RnB the way i used to :tears: ! Has anyone else come across this or am i just really odd?
I think you've just crossed over from being a handbag dancer................after doing Ceroc for a while most people go through that

Minnie M
6th-November-2004, 10:22 PM
On the contrary - it has given me a better appreciation of music :clap: It took a while to get to that stage though, but now I am quite happy to 'handbag' dance - and enjoy it too :rofl:

(just noticed my quote was posted exactly the same time as above forumite) - have to say the first couple of years of dancing Ceroc/Modern Jive, I hated disco dancing - it took confidence (and a couple of drinks) to make me enjoy all :whistle: forms of dance (me doing it that is)

philsmove
6th-November-2004, 11:02 PM
I am just about to go clubbing in my VERY favorite club called bamboo
It, not run by Tony Bullimoor :worthy: :waycool: :cool: is it

De Bamboo club used to be THE Place in Bristol in the 70s

MartinHarper
6th-November-2004, 11:26 PM
Ceroc (et al) has given me a new appreciation of nightclub dancing, and a greater confidence in doing it. For example, I can now dance with both my feet and my hands at the same time! Gimme a decent tune to get in some decent solo Charleston, and I'm well happy. :)
On the other hand, a couple of friends have told me that they find it impossible to nightclub dance any more, because they find it so boring in comparison with partner dancing. Quoth one: "I learnt Ceroc to get away from all that!".

Back in uni, a friend told me, after a night dancing, that "you dance ok, but you weren't dancing with me". Didn't understand at the time: after all, I was smiling at her, making eye contact - what more could there be? In retrospect, I guess she was talking about that "dance communication" thing, which applies just as much to nightclub dancing as to Ceroc. It all ties together.

Matthew
7th-November-2004, 12:47 AM
Ceroc (et al) has given me a new appreciation of nightclub dancing, and a greater confidence in doing it. For example, I can now dance with both my feet and my hands at the same time!

I stepped onto a dancefloor at a party last night, for the first time since I started ceroc, and my feet just fell straight into step footwork. This was surprising and -- I hope -- better than what I usually do which is plant my feet and bounce the rest up and down.

But I kept wanting to take the hand of the girl who'd invited me onto the floor (just a random stranger) and start leading her. Which brings me to my question: how do you teach someone to follow, in the space of a few songs, and in a way that doesn't seem like a lesson?

PretzelMeister
7th-November-2004, 01:19 AM
I am just about to go clubbing...~SNIP~
Again! - You dirty stop-out!
:wink:

bigdjiver
7th-November-2004, 02:04 AM
... But I kept wanting to take the hand of the girl who'd invited me onto the floor (just a random stranger) and start leading her. Which brings me to my question: how do you teach someone to follow, in the space of a few songs, and in a way that doesn't seem like a lesson?I have never had the slightest problem, except for a couple of times where I had not realised that the lady was very drunk.

Hand jive, Manspin, Return, Basket walkaround. You have done four moves with no hint of a lesson in sight, and you are in a position to give any verbal encouragement and advice that she may need. If the lady is not up to doing full spins or returns, you can walk around her to help cut down the travel distance. In and outs, are easy, and side to side is too .Once again, the guy can travel part way to get the right positioning until she gets the idea.

MartinHarper
7th-November-2004, 02:54 AM
I kept wanting to take the hand of the girl who'd invited me onto the floor (just a random stranger) and start leading her. Which brings me to my question: how do you teach someone to follow, in the space of a few songs, and in a way that doesn't seem like a lesson?

Folks who know me will know how hypocritical it is for me to say this, but.... wouldn't it be better to dance the dance she's invited you up to dance with her? Maybe she's trying to teach you how to follow in club dancing... :)

Graham
7th-November-2004, 10:44 AM
I think it's just a phase you're going through. Since you started dancing a few months ago you have been learning intensively and enthusiastically. You are still basically in practice mode most of the time, so you're automatically going into that. You've just recently started improvising, and as this develops you should find that it puts you back in touch with the way you used to dance before. Otherwise you'll just need to take one of us along to your club :wink:

Matthew
7th-November-2004, 01:10 PM
Folks who know me will know how hypocritical it is for me to say this, but.... wouldn't it be better to dance the dance she's invited you up to dance with her? Maybe she's trying to teach you how to follow in club dancing... :)

It's a good question. I took up ceroc in the first place because I suck at the dance she invited me up to dance. I figured I might learn some things that would generalise into better club dancing. But now I know a bunch of beginner ceroc, which I'm not too bad at, I think I'd like to try it out. I'd welcome any suggestions on how/how not to work a bit of ceroc into club or party situations.

Also I am a lousy follow so it's better that I lead. :-)

drathzel
7th-November-2004, 02:08 PM
On the contrary - it has given me a better appreciation of music :clap: It took a while to get to that stage though, but now I am quite happy to 'handbag' dance - and enjoy it too :rofl:

(just noticed my quote was posted exactly the same time as above forumite) - have to say the first couple of years of dancing Ceroc/Modern Jive, I hated disco dancing - it took confidence (and a couple of drinks) to make me enjoy all :whistle: forms of dance (me doing it that is)

While i have to say that rythym was never really a problem, i found it so much easier last night to find the beat! I still enjoyed it but i kept thinking, oh we could ceroc to this!

drathzel
7th-November-2004, 02:09 PM
Again! - You dirty stop-out!
:wink:

Of course!!! Wasn't going to end up going but got dragged out! Sooooo tired today!

drathzel
7th-November-2004, 02:14 PM
I think it's just a phase you're going through. Since you started dancing a few months ago you have been learning intensively and enthusiastically. You are still basically in practice mode most of the time, so you're automatically going into that. You've just recently started improvising, and as this develops you should find that it puts you back in touch with the way you used to dance before. Otherwise you'll just need to take one of us along to your club :wink:

Maybe this is the case and in a few songs last night i really got back into my dancing! As you all know RnB is very much aimed at dancing with Soul and lots of hip wiggling and i was wiggling me hips at some points with the best of them! But only to my very favorite songs!

You can all come with me to Bambbo anytime you like!

:hug:

Andy McGregor
7th-November-2004, 03:00 PM
It isn't just the dancing at nightclubs that is different from MJ.

At a typical MJ night everyone is friendly, sober(ish), nice, has taken no drugs (I take the odd ibuprofen :tears: ), is unlikely to pick a fight with you (the only two acts of voilence I know of at MJ were the same guy and he has to travel miles to find somewhere he's welcome - so you could see him in Scotland sometime soon :tears: ), unlikely to drug your drink, etc, etc. AND, at most venues, there's NO SMOKING :clap:

So, MJ does spoil you in the same way as driving a better car or eating a better meal spoils you. And like those changes, you can always go back and remind yourself why you made the change :flower:

Lynn
7th-November-2004, 03:00 PM
Its given me more awareness of dance, how my dancing reflects the music, how I move my body, arms, place my feet etc. Yes it can be frustrating sometimes at a muggles event when you want to MJ and there isn't space/music etc (the music the DJ plays can be just as frustrating for me!) but you can still respond to the music. On Fri night I was at a 'social' (ceilidh type party) and I noticed I was even dancing differently at that (OK yes, I did drag the only other MJ man there up for a couple of dances in a quiet corner when a couple of decent tracks came on!)

drathzel
7th-November-2004, 03:06 PM
It isn't just the dancing at nightclubs that is different from MJ.

At a typical MJ night everyone is friendly, sober(ish), nice, has taken no drugs (I take the odd ibuprofen :tears: ), is unlikely to pick a fight with you (the only two acts of voilence I know of at MJ were the same guy and he has to travel miles to find somewhere he's welcome - so you could see him in Scotland sometime soon :tears: ), unlikely to drug your drink, etc, etc. AND, at most venues, there's NO SMOKING :clap:

So, MJ does spoil you in the same way as driving a better car or eating a better meal spoils you. And like those changes, you can always go back and remind yourself why you made the change :flower:

I was at the club last night and i was so aware of these things! Especially when i was eventually giving it large on the dance floor and i turned round to smell an excessive amount of dope! Now if i could smell it you would think that the bouncer et all could too! Maybe i am just too naive for my own good but these things do make me realise how good we all have it at mj venues!!!

Piglet
7th-November-2004, 05:26 PM
I find that all I want to do is ceroc at the moment, but could be cos I'm still pretty new at it and loving it loads.

baldrick
7th-November-2004, 06:16 PM
While I want to ceroc at every oppertunity, I'm now more confidant when Muggling. Just feel more flamboyent (help forum spelcheck please) and less inhiibted by my own inhibitions. Spoilt no, improved? Maybe aye, maybe no.

Graham
8th-November-2004, 12:46 AM
While I want to ceroc at every oppertunity, I'm now more confidant when Muggling. Just feel more flamboyent (help forum spelcheck please) and less inhiibted by my own inhibitions. Spoilt no, improved? Maybe aye, maybe no.
As requested, I've run your post through the forum spellcheck. :wink: opportunity, confident, flamboyant, spellcheck :wink:

drathzel
8th-November-2004, 09:54 AM

While i take your point i still think that the muggling just makes you feels like you are moving your limbs as apposed to actually dancing!

baldrick
8th-November-2004, 10:30 PM
While i take your point i still think that the muggling just makes you feels like you are moving your limbs as apposed to actually dancing!
True but moving in a creative and expressive way. Rather than shuffling round handbag/car sterio.
The reinforcement of self belief brought on by being told "you can dance" works. Like any skill, dancing inproves with encouragment. I probably always could, just didn't know/belive it. Now I just do, puts me several steps infront of them standing and watching. :waycool:

Thank you Graham :worthy:

ToeTrampler
8th-November-2004, 11:16 PM
Now I just do, puts me several steps infront of them standing and watching. :waycool:

Well said!

Yes they can stand there sneering, laughing, pointing, ...throwing things :eek:
But when you look them closely in the eye, you can see it - ENVY :waycool:
(note to self: must buy decaf next time :blush: )

baldrick
8th-November-2004, 11:33 PM
Well said!

Careful, you'll spoil my reputation as a waste of forum space

MartinHarper
9th-November-2004, 12:11 AM
I'd welcome any suggestions on how/how not to work a bit of ceroc into club or party situations.

Some ideas...

An important part of being a good lead in MJ is noticing what your partner is doing (or trying to do), and generally being aware of her movements. Focus on some dancer you like the look of, and watch her movements, try to work out where her weight is, what sort of patterns she's dancing, how she's feeling the music, how much fun she's having.

In MJ once you are aware of your partner's movements, and what she's trying to do, you then can try to alter your own dancing to complement hers (note spelling). Similarly in nightclubs: get on the dance floor, and try to dance in a style that imitates, mirrors or contrasts with the person you've been watching. Make eye contact. Good "muggle" dancers will notice and do the same thing right back at you. Congrats: one dance "conversation" going.

Another aspect of MJ dancing is moving your body to match the music. For starters, dance to the beat. Assuming you have that, listen out for breaks and suchlike, and try to get your body doing something that reflects that. When you have that down instinctively, go for the subtler stuff. All this is considerably easier without having to worry about the million and one other things the guy has to think about in MJ, so take advantage of all the extra thinking time you have.

Finally, work on, and borrow from, your MJ style. Important style points transfer straight across: don't look at your feet, don't slouch, smile, make eye contact, relax the body, don't leave your arms dangling, etc, etc. In the unlikely event you've been taught any MJ footwork, do some of that. You can also practice spins and turns, in moderation.

Gadget
9th-November-2004, 01:42 AM
I was dancing in nightclubs for years before Ceroc; and can only really echo Martin's advice on how to dance with the muggles -

Form the male's perspective:
- Watch the beat that their foot goes down and place yours in time with it.
- Watch the pattern; if they are regular handbag dancers, they may have developed a 1-2-12-1-2-12 pattern (or similar)
- If they have, don't match every move; just those that are marked by the music
- Use forward and back for inteperating some musicality. (don't use too much of the dance floor or lateral movements, and don't keep pressing forward if they move back unless it's in charicter with the dance)
- Simple spins or freezes will emphisise breaks without too much posing.
- Use basic steps and the time to actually listen to the music without having to think on anything else; try to avoid thinking "this bit would be great for a double handed prezel waltz" and just listen to where the music goes.

Ladies can get away with much more - stalking your partner, turning, posing, flamboyant arms... even some physical contact :what: try to turn rather than spin - it's more aluring to your partner and you can practice controll.

drathzel
9th-November-2004, 09:58 AM
Use basic steps and the time to actually listen to the music without having to think on anything else; try to avoid thinking "this bit would be great for a double handed prezel waltz" and just listen to where the music goes..

I like your thoughts on this matter. Maybe thats whats wrong. I have gone from thinking wow this song is really good to thinking wow you could (or we do) ceroc to this song, then you spend the whole song thinkning, I coud be cerocing to this and you dont enjoy the dance for what it is actually worth!

Ladies can get away with much more - stalking your partner, turning, posing, flamboyant arms... even some physical contact :what: try to turn rather than spin - it's more aluring to your partner and you can practice controll.

:yeah: :worthy:

BeeBee
9th-November-2004, 10:29 AM
Don't worry - you're not the only one! Fellow Jumpin Jaks Cerocer Maggie, and I, were only last week lamenting the fact that we can now no longer dance anything other than Ceroc. :what: It doesnt seem to matter what type of music is being played . . .I'm not worrying about it anymore, I was never that good a dancer in the first place!! :sad: At least you know its not just you out there floundering on a Saturday night when a great song comes on and its one you've ceroc'ed to in class or at the dance nights . . .

drathzel
9th-November-2004, 03:03 PM
Don't worry - you're not the only one! Fellow Jumpin Jaks Cerocer Maggie, and I, were only last week lamenting the fact that we can now no longer dance anything other than Ceroc. :what: It doesnt seem to matter what type of music is being played . . .I'm not worrying about it anymore, I was never that good a dancer in the first place!! :sad: At least you know its not just you out there floundering on a Saturday night when a great song comes on and its one you've ceroc'ed to in class or at the dance nights . . .

I'm glad i'm not alone! Sorry to be rude but i have no idea who you are! come and say hello tonight so that i can put a face to the name!

BeeBee
9th-November-2004, 04:25 PM
I don't know who you are either!!!! If you are going tonight to Jumpin' Jaks I'll be sitting opposite the bar with the twins, Baldrick, MR and Paul (Pretzlemeister) - say helloo! :hug: :grin:

PretzelMeister
9th-November-2004, 07:42 PM
Careful, you'll spoil my reputation as a waste of forum space
Don't worry Baldrick - long way to go before even APPROACHING that! :wink:

drathzel
10th-November-2004, 02:58 PM
I don't know who you are either!!!! If you are going tonight to Jumpin' Jaks I'll be sitting opposite the bar with the twins, Baldrick, MR and Paul (Pretzlemeister) - say helloo! :hug: :grin:

Sorry i didn't get to say more than hi to you! Its funny when things like that happen, that you know someone in class and have no idea who they are on the forum and visa versa!

Ninka got mistaken for me (poor girl) a couple of weeks ago. I wont mention by who as i dont want to embarress the person!!

Graham
10th-November-2004, 02:59 PM
Poor Ninka! :really: She seemed okay last night though, so she must have got over it! :wink:

drathzel
10th-November-2004, 03:02 PM
Poor Ninka! :really: She seemed okay last night though, so she must have got over it! :wink:

:yum: I am strangely insulted by that

Graham
10th-November-2004, 03:37 PM
What was strange about it? :yum:

baldrick
10th-November-2004, 07:26 PM
That just makes it a higher class of insult. You wouldn't want an ordinary one?

Ninka
10th-November-2004, 08:57 PM
Ninka got mistaken for me (poor girl) a couple of weeks ago.

Just want to clarify that I have recovered from the previous mistaken identity, and I thank you all for your concern :hug:

drathzel
11th-November-2004, 09:49 AM
That just makes it a higher class of insult. You wouldn't want an ordinary one?

Your right!!! However just because i have said that doesn't mean you can all go around insulting me on a higher level! :yum:

drathzel
11th-November-2004, 09:50 AM
Just want to clarify that I have recovered from the previous mistaken identity, and I thank you all for your concern :hug:
Good good, glad to hear it! :clap: :rofl: