PDA

View Full Version : Role Reversal

filthycute
1st-November-2002, 03:47 PM
With all the talk of Bill promising DS a dance it got me thinking. Do guys ever get the urge to follow?
I can dance a few man moves...enough to get me through a couple of tracks...nothing special, and sometimes i'll just feel like asking Heather or Denise to dance with me. It's a nice change sometimes doing what i want to do. Although of course my variety is limited to beginners and a couple of intermediate, but throw in a couple of improvisations and it's good fun :D
I think it's been mentioned some where before about women dance with a lot of guys, therefore dancing a lot of different moves. Whereas guys are restricted to their own resources and abilities. So Bill, Franck, DS, guys.......Do you ever feel like, "I can't be arsed thinking/brain is dead/fed up dancing these moves over and over, etc," and just want someone else to do all the work and check out the moves that they have??
BTW I don't mean "Do you think about dancing with other guys?" ...thats too creepy :sick: I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy :wink:

filthycute x x

Actually did this to Sherwin on Wednesday. We did a role reversal for a move so i could help show him how it was led. It's a great way to learn from each other. :)

CJ
1st-November-2002, 03:59 PM
Maybe it's a hair thing, but........

Was led for a dance on Wed. @ Glasgow.

Not unpleasant though was hard work. Did enjoy it and it was easier for me to follow my partner when she does the man bit than it is for me to follow her when she's doing the "woman" bit!!!:wink:

Yeah, would do it again. Dance with a man? Only if he asked nicely!!

DavidB
1st-November-2002, 04:33 PM
I've only followed a couple of times. I find myself doing exactly what I don't want to do - ie thinking "I'm being led into a yoyo, so lets do a yoyo". I find it hard to know how much tension to give in my arm. At least in Ceroc I don't have to think about what foot to start with.

Leading other men is strange at first, but if you ever take private lessons with a male teacher, you don't have the option. I don't usually mind doing it, but I don't hold back. I will change the moves, do completely non-standard moves, play with the timing, and invite my partner to improvise. If anything, I would tend to be less forgiving than I would with a lady - for example he would get several chances to improvise even if he didn't appreciate the first one. Men (especially teachers) learn to follow to improve their dancing - they're not going to improve by just doing a first move and a yoyo.

David

Gadget
1st-November-2002, 05:08 PM
For all my postings on leading and following, I haven't seriously considered it. Might be interesting, from a curiosity point of view - may also help comprehension of what it should 'feel' like
to be led.
Do I ever get the urge to be led? Not really; I'm a control freak.
I would probably have to do it with my eyes closed so that I didn't try to anticipate the moves. Dunno - but if someone asked me to dance as the follower, I would give it a go.

Just missed Rocky Horror, so the bask and fish-nets will have to stay in the closet I'm afraid.:D (just doesnÕt look as good with short hair...Eugh! just got a mental image of Curtain as Frankenfurter!:sick: )

Franck
1st-November-2002, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
So Bill, Franck, DS, guys.......Do you ever feel like, "I can't be arsed thinking/brain is dead/fed up dancing these moves over and over, etc," and just want someone else to do all the work and check out the moves that they have??
BTW I don't mean "Do you think about dancing with other guys?" ...thats too creepy :sick: I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy :wink: Yeah, I think following is great fun, but as DavidB says, I find it hard to follow properly, ie I anticipate and assume things :sad:
All in all, I am not a very good follower.
As part of the Ceroc teacher training, we learn to dance both sides of every move, and it is really good... I sometimes wish men did not have such hang-ups about dancing with other men (or being led), it does make a huge difference to your dancing and your understanding of Leading/following...

Actually did this to Sherwin on Wednesday. We did a role reversal for a move so i could help show him how it was led. It's a great way to learn from each other. :) Funny that, I was having a dance with Sherwin myself on Saturday, and he was following very well!
The only problem was when he started leading, and I refused to follow, giving him concussion in the process :sorry :sick:

Franck.

filthycute
1st-November-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Funny that, I was having a dance with Sherwin myself on Saturday, and he was following very well!
The only problem was when he started leading, and I refused to follow, giving him concussion in the process :sorry :sick: Yeah he's quite good at it actually....but what do you expect when he dances with me so much :yum: :wink:
Ah my little prodigy....i trained him well hahaha

filthycute x x

Bill
1st-November-2002, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by filthycute
With all the talk of Bill promising DS a dance it got me thinking. Do guys ever get the urge to follow? Not so much an urge........more the opportunity for some fun ! I've been led by Avril, big Derek ( in my red shoes !!) and a couple of times by Scot doing double trouble. It took a while but if the lead is good I can just about follow but do still make a lot of mistakes
:sorry :sick:
I know there's a few women out there who dance great 'man' who would be more than happy to lead a guy :wink: And don't we just know it !!!!!!!!!

Actually did this to Sherwin on Wednesday. We did a role reversal for a move so i could help show him how it was led. It's a great way to learn from each other. :) Well FC - you said you might be up in Aberdeen next week so I'll expect a dance and you can lead ( properly I mean :D ) and I'll do my best to follow:wink: Look forward to it.

But as Franck points out it's a very good opportunity for men to learn what a good lead is/should be and can really improve your style and lead. It may feel odd at first ( we are so uptight about this aren't we - yet in S America the 'macho' men think nothing of learning to salsa or tango together !)

Odd eh !!!???

Jon
1st-November-2002, 06:29 PM
I dance the lady moves alot but with a lady doing the man moves. I find it is a really good laugh being led, and makes a change not to have to think!. When one of my female teachers leads and I follow she puts me into all sorts of moves including Seducers, and I have to say the first seducer I was put into kept a smile on my face for a week. Cheers Kel.

I now appreciate what moves feel nice from the ladys point of view and how many spins (take note Sharon after yesterday! :wink: ) you can do before getting giddy. Also my spinning has improved so much by doing the lady moves since nearly every move has a spin in it.

Ever tried swapping leaders during a song. What a hoot. I did it to Sharon yesterday and it took a second for her to realise. :sorry

Graham
1st-November-2002, 06:57 PM
Previously, I had followed a couple of times with a teacher to learn a move, but we had a short section in our team cabaret routine where we reversed roles. I was pretty awful at it, as I've never learned how to spin properly (well, you don't really have to as a leader, and I've certainly got enough other style points to improve before this is going to make a big difference!). However, it did make me realise how useful it would be to do this occasionally.

Personally, I wouldn't have a problem dancing with a man (okay, seducers and combs might be awkward :wink: ), and in fact it might be a little easier than being led by a woman, as most women are shorter than I am.

However, to answer the original point, I don't have any urge to do it in freestyle - I'm quite happy standing around letting the woman do the real dancing, while I just have to think about some moves. :grin:

Gus
2nd-November-2002, 04:54 AM
Do you not have role reveral competitions in Scotland? Both Stockport Blits and Ceroc Nantwich have held such events ... great fun ... and as Franck says, does wonders for guys really understanding just what they put their partners through.

Case in point was the Ball we've just had at Wellington ... Paul Tavansau (NZ/Aussie Champ) decided to handicap himself ... so garbbed me as his partner ..... might have got away with it except the fact that I forgot that he's a drops and dips expert.

Guys, ever wondered what the lady feels when you do a dominator (layback) on her??? I can now say from personal experienece ... its 'interesting':sick: I'm not sure if all my vertebrae still fit together the same way .... mind you, still impressed that Paul could trow my deadweight of 13st into drops without leaving me on the deck ....

Franck ... fancy putting in a fun role reversal competition at your next freestyle?

Dancing Veela
4th-November-2002, 01:03 PM
I've lead men a quite a few times (and we are talking about me doing the 'male' lead as opposed to me leading when I'm not meant to be).

When I'm dancing to Fine Brown Frame, I REALLY have to urge to lead when the woman sings!!!! Especially when I'm dancing with Bill - he's really coming on as a woman - but I have been training him for years now :wink:

John S
4th-November-2002, 02:20 PM
I'm only a rank beginner at it, but whenever I've danced the "follower's" role I'm always amazed at how much spinning is involved (unless of course someone's just taking their revenge!!!!)

But when I was in the Dundee team cabaret, a fair chunk involved the lady leading the man, and I know that when it came to those parts - once I had learned them - I really felt I could relax more and enjoy the dance.

So I guess I'm game for a spot of role reversal (FC, DV, whoever - are you listening??). BUT BE GENTLE, PLEASE!!!

And I have quite a vivid recollection of a Ceroc Christmas party in Edinburgh, where Franck & Obi danced together in an extremely powerful routine that dominated the dance floor - swapping roles throughout and as far from being effeminate or gay as it's possible to imagine.

Bill
4th-November-2002, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Dancing Veela
When I'm dancing to Fine Brown Frame, I REALLY have to urge to lead when the woman sings!!!! Especially when I'm dancing with Bill - he's really coming on as a woman - but I have been training him for years now :wink: and that song's never been the same since for me :D :wink: I still feel as though the woman should be leading me when the female vocal comes on.

Yep...that was always fun....and sometimes I almost followed properly:p Have to do it again sometime soon :cheers:

Stuart M
5th-November-2002, 10:31 AM
Maybe there should be a rule at some parties that you're only allowed to dance to the following tracks if you gender-swap:

Fine Brown Frame
Man I Feel Like a Woman
Girls and Boys (Blur)

Any others?

That'd soon improve us guys, I think. My own attempts at dancing like a girl are related in the "Spinning Around" thread, along with the pelters I got for it :what:

Seriously though it's worth a go. Even attempting it helps you understand what you should be doing as the male half.

Jayne
5th-November-2002, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Stuart M
Even just trying it makes you begin to realise better what you should be doing when you're the male half.

Heather - do you want to do your English teacher bit here?

Sorry Stuart! :sorry

Jayne :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-November-2002, 11:33 AM
it would need to be in English first :)

Stuart M
5th-November-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Jayne
I'm scared :eek: - I edited the post...

Yellow doesn't come out very well, does it?

CJ
5th-November-2002, 12:29 PM
Just whilst we are being nice to Stuart, I think he dances very well like a girl... a pity it's when he's leading but there we have it.:wink:

:sorry

Stuart M
5th-November-2002, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Just whilst we are being nice to Stuart, I think he dances very well like a girl... a pity it's when he's leading but there we have it.:wink:

I can't believe it took almost 2 hours for that one - I was about to put it on myself!

Source was entirely predictable, though :o

Probably didn't read it properly first time because his hair got in the way or something... :D :p

Jayne
5th-November-2002, 02:07 PM
Oi!!! You two are just trying to hijack this thread and get to "take it outside", aren't you??? :wink:

My survival instinct tells me not to comment on Stuart's dancing like a girl... :wink:

Ho hum... Gus'll be back soon so that'll be the end of cat fights and onto some more serious debates... :wink:

I think I've developed a twitch at the end of my sentances... :wink:

Jayne....

Stuart M
5th-November-2002, 02:33 PM
I think I've developed a twitch at the end of my sentances... :wink:

That would be the dodgy spelling twitch, would it dear? :p

Sorry, couldn't resist it...:sorry besides I had to get it in before Heather did.

I'm now going to shut up, because I have to think of something interesting to say for my 100th post.

Graham
5th-November-2002, 02:35 PM

I think I've developed a twitch at the end of my sentances...

Need I say more? :wink:

Oi!!! You two are just trying to hijack this thread and get to "take it outside", aren't you???
Actually I thought Stuart was suitably restrained - I mean he could have posted something along the lines of "At least I don't look like a girl when I'm not dancing!". I agree about Robert being provocative, though - he's obviously missing Gus :sad: :tears: .

Graham
5th-November-2002, 02:36 PM

I'm now going to shut up, because I have to think of something interesting to say for my 100th post.
Careful you don't blow it on your 99th!

Jayne
5th-November-2002, 03:14 PM

That would be the dodgy spelling twitch, would it dear? :p

Sorry dear...

sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence sentence

:p

Jayne
:wink:

Heather
5th-November-2002, 07:23 PM
:D :D You'll never spell THAT word wrongly again now, will you!!!!!!!:wink: :wink:
:cheers:
Heather.

Jayne
6th-November-2002, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Heather
:D :D You'll never spell THAT word wrongly again now, will you!!!!!!!:wink: :wink:
Heather.

errrm, well, I cheated. I typed it incorrectly in Word, which automatically corrected it for me and then I copied and pasted from there....

The lesson was: always use the spell checker...:sorry

Jayne :innocent:

Bill
6th-November-2002, 10:53 AM

The lesson was: always use the spell checker...:sorry

Jayne :innocent:

ah....but...as many of my studnets find out - the spell checker won't spot the 'wrong' word if it's actually spelt correctly eg there, their and they're. Or if the checker is American !

But this is Heather's territory :D :p

Emma
6th-November-2002, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Bill

ah....but...as many of my studnets

Studnets sounds so much more interesting than students..the mind boggles. :wink: :grin: What on earth are you teaching them?

Bill
11th-November-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Emma

Studnets sounds so much more interesting than students..the mind boggles. :wink: :grin: What on earth are you teaching them?

teach them....:sick: :eek: ... is that what I'm supposed to do ???? well no-one ever told me that :sorry :rolleyes: Might give it a go and see what happens....they might even enjoy it !

But as mentioned on another thread....... and coming back to the issue on this one...:innocent: ....we men can 'swap'....had a lovely dance with Brady. What a lovely lead he is :yum: :D and lovely lad as well. :cheers:

Brady
12th-November-2002, 08:50 AM
Thank you Bill for the dance too!!! You're a great follow; don't think I could have managed near as well as you did. We'll have to switch it the other way around next time.

Bill
12th-November-2002, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Brady
Thank you Bill for the dance too!!! You're a great follow; don't think I could have managed near as well as you did. We'll have to switch it the other way around next time.

Yep.........you're on.. I'll get my manly gear on and see if I can lead :D :really:

See you on the 23rd for a dance............fast /slow ?:nice:

Heather
12th-November-2002, 08:06 PM
:wink: :wink: Oi ! You two !!! Better watch out , people will be talking about you!!!!LOL:wink: :wink: :sorry
(Especially if Bill reverts to wearing the famous red high-heelers!!!!)
Heather
:kiss: ( Oh ! But I DO love that airkiss!!!!):wink:

Brady
14th-November-2002, 01:37 PM
Had a good dance with Mairi last night, reversing roles. I must admit that the women do have it quite difficult following a lead. I found it dead hard to not anticipate what was coming next. Once about half way through the song and Mairi started doing intermediate moves (double pretzel...) there was no option but to just go where she was leading me. I do think it is something that all of the men should try at least once. It will enlighten you as to what the women are going through when dancing with us and perhaps we will better understand when a woman doesn't do quite what we had planned.

Bill, I'll be up to Aberdeen tomorrow, so bring along the red shoes!!!!! :really:

Lorna
14th-November-2002, 02:02 PM
Had a good dance with Mairi last night, reversing roles. I must admit that the women do have it quite difficult following a lead. Hello Brady,

Mmm... you thought that Mairi was difficult to dance to. Wait until Friday night and I'll show you how domineering I can be.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Bill
14th-November-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Lorna
Mmm... you thought that Mairi was difficult to dance to. Wait until Friday night and I'll show you how domineering I can be. Brady..........she's not joking believe me :D :wink:

But she does it with such style....and a big smile :grin:

Brady
1st-December-2002, 02:24 PM
Just had to reintroduce this thread after my dance with none other than BTC Bill at Marcos last night!!! :really:

I must say, he is an excellent lead, as it was always clear as to what he was wanting me to do (or perhaps it was my following skills...nope...don't think so! :what: ).

Anyway, thanks for the fantastic dance Bill and to all those who cheered us on and provided the warm round of applause at the end. It was good fun! :nice:

Brady

P.S. Bill, don't forget the shoes next time!!! :wink:

Bill
1st-December-2002, 10:00 PM
Just had to reintroduce this thread after my dance with none other than BTC Bill at Marcos last night!!! :really:

I must say, he is an excellent lead, as it was always clear as to what he was wanting me to do (or perhaps it was my following skills...nope...don't think so! :what: ).

Anyway, thanks for the fantastic dance Bill and to all those who cheered us on and provided the warm round of applause at the end. It was good fun! :nice:

Brady

I cant agree with you more about his lead, but you guys were great and it was brilliant!!!:wink: :grin: :grin: My wolf whistles were pretty ineffective but the feeling was there - The two of you looked soooooooooo good together:wink: And so many close moves you two! I think my days could be numbered:tears: :tears: :tears: :wink: having danced with Bill straight after you I must have been a come down - my bum roll thingy could not compare to yours :wink: :nice:

Ps you followed beautifully!!!! ( he said words to that effect :wink: )

must have been somthing in the air last night - Scott and Gilbert also had a dance ( scott lead). They will have to reverse that one so scott can feel what the girls have been trying to explain in words but cant quite do it justice - the wonderful lead which Gilbert has he does this "thing" with his hand and forearm(I Dont mean to embarress you Gilbert if you ever read this) - and before anyone jumps on me -
I am only talking about dance no inuendoes intended:nice:

I hope we are not going to be made redundant ladies!!!:tears: :wink:

have a great holiday at Home Brady and take care
Great evening last night:nice: :nice:
Fran:cheers:

pps this is my 100 post:grin: does that mean I am a grown up now and not a junior???

Fran
1st-December-2002, 10:07 PM

I cant agree with you more about his lead, but you guys were great and it was brilliant!!!:wink: :grin: :grin: ...............

pps this is my 100 post:grin: does that mean I am a grown up now and not a junior???

.................................................. .........................

Well incase the previous post of "Bills" did not quite make sense - guess who did not notice that Bill had not logged out of my machine!!!!!!! the last post under his name was mine:sorry :sorry :sorry

so actually this is 100th post I suppose - one day I am going to get something right!!!!:sick:

fran:nice:

Bill
1st-December-2002, 11:02 PM

Brady

It was my pleasure........:D :cheers: ...and you did follow beautifully ! Is it an insult to say that you make a great woman :what: :confused:

And thanks for leading me earlier.. Next time I will bring my shoes ! Pity you won't be there for the Christmas party :sick: :tears:

But of course we are both very secure in our sexuality.....just in case anyone out there was having any doubts! :na: :wink:

TheTramp
1st-December-2002, 11:22 PM
So then Bill.

Can I book you for a dance next time I see you then??

Steve

Heather
1st-December-2002, 11:54 PM
:D :D :D......... It's ALWAYS the man's fault!!! Bill should have logged off your computer!! If they keep on dancing together, it looks like we'll be redundant soon Fran!!!!
Heather,
:kiss: :kiss:

Fran
2nd-December-2002, 01:36 AM
But of course we are both very secure in our sexuality.....just in case anyone out there was having any doubts! :na: :wink: We never doubted that for a minute!!!:wink: :wink: :nice:

fran

Sal
5th-December-2002, 02:17 PM
I love dancing as a man, I think it appeases the control freak in me! I have danced with alot of women, but strangely enough, find it more beneficial to dance with a man. In my case, it is because they can easily help you if you don't get the lead quite right.

Just hope some of them don't get too used to it, eh Davie H?!? :wink:

Bill
5th-December-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
So then Bill.

Can I book you for a dance next time I see you then??

Steve Whose leading ?????:what: ......... and with or without my heels :D :sorry

Dave Hancock
5th-December-2002, 05:16 PM
Sal,

The thing is dancing as a woman is definately improving my dancing no end and allowing me to better interpret the music than ever before, think I may start dancing as a woman full time and then follow some of Bill's party outfits

Sandy
5th-December-2002, 05:34 PM
I hope we are not going to be made redundant ladies!!!:tears: :wink: Yeh, that's all we need, blokes dancing with blokes. What will we girls do??:tears: :tears: Bad enough having 18 women out at a time!
Girls will definitely have to learn to dance with girls or it will be bums on the seats all night:reallymad Tried dancing with the other Sandra and had a real laugh but don't think the dips and combs would work too well:sick:

Don't mind the double trouble though, that was brilliant! Another lesson Bill please:wink:

Sandy

Sal
5th-December-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock

The thing is dancing as a woman is definately improving my dancing no end and allowing me to better interpret the music than ever before, think I may start dancing as a woman full time and then follow some of Bill's party outfits

This I have to see, I have heard the legend of the red heels!

TheTramp
6th-December-2002, 05:34 PM
Whose leading ????? ......... and with or without my heels Ummm. Both of us. We can take it in turns. And definitely in the heels.....!!

Steve

Jon
7th-December-2002, 02:39 PM
The only trouble with role reversal is when they teach a ladies hands on mans chest move. :wink: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Gus
7th-December-2002, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Jon
The only trouble with role reversal is when they teach a ladies hands on mans chest move. :wink: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

and the problem with that would be?????

If Ladies wish full equality then they must endure what us guys have to endure:wink:

DavidB
19th-December-2002, 12:45 PM
A quick note for anyone who ever gets the chance to lead Gus. He needs to practice his turns and spins, so make sure you lead a lot.

David

TheTramp
19th-December-2002, 01:09 PM
And David, don't forget the airsteps. He needs lots of practise with those :rolleyes:

Steve

Gus
19th-December-2002, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
A quick note for anyone who ever gets the chance to lead Gus. He needs to practice his turns and spins, so make sure you lead a lot.

David

And can someone tell young David that the idea is not to see how many turns and spins you can fit into one dance!!! (Made the mistake of telling him I wasn't too good at spins .... BAD MISTAKE) ... nice lead though:D

Jon
1st-June-2003, 11:50 AM
Thought it was about time to ressurect this thread.

Was wondering how many other people have tried dancing like this:

I dance the lady moves alot with my partner Sharon who leads. But what tends to happen is that at anytime the follower will sabotage and take over the lead. Might be for 1 beat or for half a song but the point is the leader has no idea when they are going to loose control. In fact the leader sometimes relinquishes control by puting themselves into a basket.

This swapping of roles goes on through out the whole song and makes for an interesting dance as neither of us know's whos going to be leading the next move.

p.s. Been posting alot today as gota do something while I've got a cold :sad: . Hopefully be better by tonight as its a dance night!.

bigdjiver
26th-June-2003, 03:24 PM
The salute is a recognition of authority - so leader uses left hand to salute lady - ie hand across centre of forehead with fingers extended.

Can also be used by follower to request lead.

eg lady salutes man - can I have lead?
Man salutes lady - go ahead

( insert lousy spins in here)

lady salutes guy - take it back

or

Guy salutes lady - can I have it back?

reactions?

Aleks
26th-June-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
... leader uses left hand to salute lady

Since when was a salute with the left hand???

bigdjiver
27th-June-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Aleks
Since when was a salute with the left hand???

A normal salute is with the right hand.

I specified a the left hand

a) because it is not a normal salute.

b) because I wanted to suggest a signal that non-sexist, that could be used equally by men and ladies. The ladies right hand tends to be rather busy.

Gadget
27th-June-2003, 11:48 AM
Wouldn't you then get confused with the 'wipe sweat from brow' move (as taught by Adam at the Saturday Beach Party) :confused:

{:wink: }

Grant
27th-June-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
Wouldn't you then get confused with the 'wipe sweat from brow' move (as taught by Adam at the Saturday Beach Party) :confused:

{:wink: }
no, because that move was followed by shaking the sweat off the hand:D

Grant

bigdjiver
27th-June-2003, 04:05 PM
As it happens ...

Last night a young lady asked me to do the "Sailor" - the move where a lady salutes, and then falls sideways in the trust that partner will catch her.

The lead in she asked me to use would not permit of any confusion as it involved the man saying "Sailor" and leading the lady in frontof him and then behind. I do seem to recall many years ago being taught this move with the man saluting as the initial signal. If that memory is correct then there is obviously scope for disaster.

This harks back to my argument for a central authority defining and documenting Modern Jive. Personally I would like to see CEROC and LeRoc combine on this to standardise moves and establish teaching standards and grades, without becoming fosilised and stifling innovation in the process.

Dreadful Scathe
27th-June-2003, 04:57 PM
The lead in she asked me to use would not permit of any confusion as it involved the man saying "Sailor" and leading the lady in frontof him and then behind. I do seem to recall many years ago being taught this move with the man saluting as the initial signal. If that memory is correct then there is obviously scope for disaster.

A follower would have to be out of their mind to fall over based on what they think a signal means. :really:

Andy McGregor
27th-June-2003, 05:54 PM
As it happens ...

Last night a young lady asked me to do the "Sailor" - the move where a lady salutes, and then falls sideways in the trust that partner will catch her.

I know this move, and I've done it as both leader and follower. Down here in Sussex we call it the layby - don't ask me why. And even then there are two different versions. I do the version described above when I'm leading - I lead it from a L/R hand hold, pull my partner in to my left side and say 'layby' into his/her right ear, push him/her back out, pull past my front, catch R/L, pull behind, catch L/R, give a gentle pull in front, let go and my partner puts his/her left hand to the hip and sort of salutes with the right and falls to their right to be caught either side in my manly arms on the way down. Your left hand goes in the angle of their elbow and your right goes on their side just below the armpit. This is quite spectacular in freestyle and often gets clapped. There is one warning I'd like to give. Your right hand needs to be placed carefully along your partners side. If you catch your partners side on your right wrist their right breast sort on nestles into your right hand as you stop your partner hitting the floor:what:

When I'm being the follower I have to turn slightly to the right to make this happen as my false breasts don't really move much:devil:

Before anyone says anything, of course they're false:innocent:

bigdjiver
28th-June-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
A follower would have to be out of their mind to fall over based on what they think a signal means. :really:

A necessary qualification for dancing with me?