PDA

View Full Version : Jive that is sexier than salsa?

MissJiveBunny
4th-November-2004, 01:36 AM
I've picked up a wisper that there is a new concept in Jive afoot

The vibe I picked up was that some folks have noticed that the Salsa scene is attracting the 20-30 somthings in a way that makes Jive seem geriatric.

Apparently, some Jive folks in the North London/ South Hertfordshire area are about to start a new night aimed right at the young hedonisitc 'post Ibiza' crowd.

The other angle I picked up was that these guys are going with a twin floor venue where the second floor is aimed straight at advanced Jivers to give them a twist of something special, such as Latino jive, salsa jive, swing jive, Blues Jive, etc.

Anyone else getting anything on this. I guess there must be a website somewhere if this is anything to this other than talk. Sounds like fun and a much needed breath of fresh air around these parts

Jon L
4th-November-2004, 01:44 AM

The vibe I picked up was that some folks have noticed that the Salsa scene is attracting the 20-30 somthings in a way that makes Jive seem geriatric.

Apparently, some Jive folks in the North London/ South Hertfordshire area are about to start a new night aimed right at the young hedonisitc 'post Ibiza' crowd.

The other angle I picked up was that these guys are going with a twin floor venue where the second floor is aimed straight at advanced Jivers to give them a twist of something special, such as Latino jive, salsa jive, swing jive, Blues Jive, etc.

Anyone else getting anything on this. I guess there must be a website somewhere if this is anything to this other than talk. Sounds like fun and a much needed breath of fresh air around these parts

The trouble is that a lot of young whipper snappers aren't into the partnered stuff at all, they would rather take drugs, drink to excess and go in the clubs.

As for Salsa and MJ the two are different. I would like to do some more Salsa next year who knows but there are different dances, though Latino music doesn'r inspire me, as where I love blues and slow stuff.

One good thing though is may be the strictly come dancing will attract new dancers on the floor who knows.

Gus
4th-November-2004, 08:19 AM
The trouble is that a lot of young whipper snappers aren't into the partnered stuff at all, they would rather take drugs, drink to excess and go in the clubs.I take it this was tongue in cheek ... I REALLY hope so! Got plenty of young dancers at my club ... great guys and gals and really help to liven up things. :grin:

As for Jive v Salsa ... well, personal view, but in the public image Salsa wins every time in the sexiness front ... but that may down to the more hedonistic profile of those dancing it rather than the dance itself.

Lounge Lizard
4th-November-2004, 08:40 AM
Yes MJ is mixed with Salsa at other venues, the following is from another thread http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=83978

I teach in Hastings,.....snip..... Now in hastings we offer the following (all for £6)
7.30 to 8.00 New choons freestyle music from UK & USA pre-release plus new additions to my collection (on the iPod) All tracks suitable for MJ and (probably) unheard anywhere in the UK
7.45 - introduction to modern Jive for the brand new dancers
8.00 - basis Level 1 beginners class for anyone with less than 6 weeks dance experience
8.00 - Level 2 beginners class in Modern Jive
8.00 - beginners class in Salsa [or salsa jive from dec]
8.30 to 9. Freestyle dancing in modern jive & Salsa hall
9.00 - Continuation of Level 1 class
9.00 - Repeat of level 2 class (if needed/wanted)
9.00 - Intermediate modern jive
9.00 - Intermediate Salsa [or salsa jive from dec]
9.40 to 10.45 Freestyle dancing
9.45 - Masterclass (currently in drops & seducers for October) fixed couples fo experienced dancers only
All music by me

We have three teachers and 3 dance halls + Crew and like many other clubs we still struggle for good numbers.

I think MJ will benefit by offering more variety in smaller classes and being strict with the dancers on what level class they take ( Salsa do it this way)
LL
I teach Salsa-Jive with Evelyne (which is MJ with footwork!) it starts at our Hastings venue as a regular feature in december and incorporates salsa moves and styling using more than the basic mambo steps.

I was teaching Salsa-Jive with Amanda at Hipsters over two years ago, so it has been around for a while and good luck with your venture (or the venture in your area
LL

Zebra Woman
4th-November-2004, 10:31 AM
A night of salsa mixed with jive would be heaven for me, and Hertfordshire is very close. :clap:

I'm not sure what 'Salsa Jive' is though? Peter, perhaps you could demostrate at Camber? Is it dancing salsa steps to jive music? I do that occasioanlly if the rhythm is right.

I did 5 years of salsa before giving it a rest a couple of years ago. I do find it sexier and more expresssive than jive. I gave up 'cos there was a real shortage of good male dancers plus the music in my area wasn't that inspiring (it was mostly 'romantica' and I'm not that keen).Call me old fashioned but Buena Vista Social CLub / El Gran Combo hit the mark for me.

I noted at Southport that when a real salsa track came on in the Latin Quarter there were very few Salseros around, did I miss something there? Oh maybe they were still in Ibiza! :rolleyes:

I must admit although I know lots of ladies who can switch easily between salsa and jive I don't know many men. And if they can switch between the two I would usually prefer to dance salsa with them. Viktor being first on my list.... :drool:

ZW :flower:

Cornish Pixie
4th-November-2004, 02:00 PM
The trouble is that a lot of young whipper snappers aren't into the partnered stuff at all, they would rather take drugs, drink to excess and go in the clubs.

Im sixteen and from the west country area and my regular is newquay jive. Im the youngest there. However i couldn't give a damn about this because i do it for the dancing.

We just need a way to get youngsters to one class. One lesson and they will be hooked or hate it.

Just because i like to talk about dancing but i would choose jive over clubbing, drink or drugs anyday!

My parents wouldn't let me go to warmwell so im going as a birthday present!

I love it

spindr
4th-November-2004, 02:02 PM
A night of salsa mixed with jive would be heaven for me, and Hertfordshire is very close. :clap:

Howabout Feb 5th, then? See: http://www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk/Events.htm#WinterBall2005

Salsa, Swing & Tango Ball
Saturday, 5th February 2005, Winchester Guildhall, Hampshire SO23 9LJ

To be fair the swing area is pretty small -- but it does mean you can show off to the queue in the bar.

SpinDr.
P.S.
2003: I just did the Swing, and thought I must do some Salsa.
2004: did some Swing and a bit of Salsa, and thought I must do some Tango.
Looking forward to 2005!

Zebra Woman
4th-November-2004, 02:27 PM
Howabout Feb 5th, then? See: http://www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk/Events.htm#WinterBall2005

Salsa, Swing & Tango Ball
Saturday, 5th February 2005, Winchester Guildhall, Hampshire SO23 9LJ

:grin: Nice thought!
But as I said, Hertfordshire is close sadly Winchester isn't! Please let me know if you hear of anything closer to MK. My favourite mix would be any combination of WCS jive salsa blues and Tango,( I can live without the Lindy) :blush: The ultimate mix would be Tango/Blues :drool:

ZW :hug:

Jon L
4th-November-2004, 03:30 PM
I take it this was tongue in cheek ... I REALLY hope so! Got plenty of young dancers at my club ... great guys and gals and really help to liven up things. :grin:

As for Jive v Salsa ... well, personal view, but in the public image Salsa wins every time in the sexiness front ... but that may down to the more hedonistic profile of those dancing it rather than the dance itself.

Sorry :blush: yes this was a bit exaggerated. There are some youngsters in the early 20's coming through on the MJ scene of course and the more the better.

However the point does some have validity. I have seen a lot of drunk men and women, around the High Street. Part of me thinks - take up modern jive - a lot more fun and productive.

Daniel Sandars
4th-November-2004, 03:49 PM
I agree that Salsa wins the sexy partner dance image....but why should it?

I think it is marketing as well as dancers...I was recently looking through a Cuban holiday brochure and the pages on dancing looked to me as if they were from the Raymond Review bar in Soho rather than down town Havana.

....with a twin floor venue where the second floor is aimed straight at advanced Jivers to give them a twist of something special, such as Latino jive, salsa jive, swing jive, Blues Jive, etc

The twin floors idea is also interesting: One for the bouncing jivers and one for the more discerning. We've been looking to find a regular freestyle North of London with good Blues potential... and a great mixing of swing & latin to boot.

bigdjiver
4th-November-2004, 04:29 PM
... The twin floors idea is also interesting: One for the bouncing jivers and one for the more discerning. We've been looking to find a regular freestyle North of London with good Blues potential... and a great mixing of swing & latin to boot. As someone who enjoys bouncing and the occasional discerne, I have always dreamt of two rooms at the Bedford Corn exchange freestyles. They have a bar upstairs with a small floor which would be an ideal second room. I believe that the Corn Exchange has other rooms downstairs too, though I have not seen them. Sadly, I doubt Phil Roberts would go for it ...

Northants Girly
4th-November-2004, 04:44 PM
I have always dreamt of two rooms at the Bedford Corn exchange freestyles. They have a bar upstairs with a small floor which would be an ideal second room. I believe that the Corn Exchange has other rooms downstairs too, though I have not seen them. Sadly, I doubt Phil Roberts would go for it ...Of course he wouldn't - it would cost him more!

spindr
4th-November-2004, 07:18 PM
But as I said, Hertfordshire is close sadly Winchester isn't!

Well you manage to get to Twyford -- and it's only 4 junctions further -- I'll admit 3 of them are on the M4 and 1 is on the M3, but that's splitting hairs :)

Please let me know if you hear of anything closer to MK. My favourite mix would be any combination of WCS jive salsa blues and Tango,( I can live without the Lindy) :blush: The ultimate mix would be Tango/Blues :drool:

ZW :hug:

Easy, you just have to entice a tanguero to a blues dance -- at least half the "blues" moves taught at MJC#8 were de-evolved from Argentine Tango.

SpinDr.

Lynn
4th-November-2004, 07:36 PM
In the jive versus salsa here in Belfast, salsa wins every time. I seem to be almost the only person who prefers MJ. Is it because the salsa is seen as 'sexier'? Not IMO - there are a few really good male leads who look good dancing but a lot of the rest are just OK. I think its the 'atmosphere' that goes with the salsa, bar venues, more 'party' feel, a lot more alcohol and smoking. (Crowded, sticky floors, smoky... now why don't I go anymore...?)

foxylady
4th-November-2004, 10:35 PM
I agree that Salsa wins the sexy partner dance image....but why should it?

Personally I love salsa as a dance form, hate it as a social activity. The reason being sleaziness (sp?) not sexiness..... As I have mentioned in numerous other threads I love to (and I really mean love to...) work it on the dance floor.... For 3 minutes that man (almost whoever he is) is the centre of the universe, and given the right tune/right man combination the dancing is as sexy as h*ll.....

Do that on a salsa floor an Mr Slease will be at your elbow for the next tune, and his friend and his friend's friend will be there too, and the letching will be so unpleasant you will leave and go home....

In MJ you say 'thank you very much', and you move on and have an upright rather sober-in-comparison dance with a mighty fine dancer and don't think twice about it !

MJ I love it !! and if I want to throw in a few sexy salsa/rhuma/blues/samba/tango steps so be it...

:yeah:

bigdjiver
5th-November-2004, 01:53 AM
... I have always dreamt of two rooms at the Bedford Corn exchange freestyles. They have a bar upstairs with a small floor which would be an ideal second room. I believe that the Corn Exchange has other rooms downstairs too, though I have not seen them. Sadly, I doubt Phil Roberts would go for it ...

Of course he wouldn't - it would cost him more! The way I see it is a second room would not only pay for itself, but would bring in yet more people, and they would tend to be the keener dancers. This would allow Phil to run more frequent events, of an even higher standard, at the Corn Exchange.

My judgement clouded by self-interest? Never :whistle:

Simon r
5th-November-2004, 08:33 AM
As someone who enjoys bouncing and the occasional discerne, I have always dreamt of two rooms at the Bedford Corn exchange freestyles. They have a bar upstairs with a small floor which would be an ideal second room. I believe that the Corn Exchange has other rooms downstairs too, though I have not seen them. Sadly, I doubt Phil Roberts would go for it ...

this has been tried before at Bisley with the fab victor teaching the main class and me teaching beginers intermediate...
A jive class was held at the same time and the idea was to have two seperate rooms for freestyle dancing...
It failed big time experienced salsa dancers are quite snoby and will not move to a lesser venue even for Victor..
Splitting the dance floor just made both rooms dead of experienced dancers so losing the focus in free style...
Have a go but be warned :waycool:

bigdjiver
5th-November-2004, 10:03 AM
this has been tried before at Bisley with the fab victor teaching the main class and me teaching beginers intermediate...
A jive class was held at the same time and the idea was to have two seperate rooms for freestyle dancing...
It failed big time experienced salsa dancers are quite snoby and will not move to a lesser venue even for Victor..
Splitting the dance floor just made both rooms dead of experienced dancers so losing the focus in free style...
Have a go but be warned :waycool:I would not even start to think about combining Salsa and MJ at one event. I should have been much more careful about what I posted in a "sexier than Salsa" thread. I was thinking of combining a blues room and MJ. A lot of Bedford locals have done blues workshops, either at weekend events, or locally thanks to the splendid efforts of Daniel Sandars et al at Jook Jive, (or is it Bluesdance now?).

I think sexiness is about the people and the music, rather than the danceform, but, comparing danceforms, Blues, IMO, is sexier than Salsa. At the moment it is impossible to define the boundary between MJ and Blues dancing, and the transport between rooms is much easier.

spindr
5th-November-2004, 12:15 PM
It failed big time experienced salsa dancers are quite snoby and will not move to a lesser venue even for Victor.

Well, Dean Maynard teaches reasonably close to Bisley at Mychett, and I think Marchant Birch teaches at Fleet occasionally (and maybe Guildford?) -- I'd guess that they'd probably be better known than Victor amongst salsa dancers?

SpinDr.

spindr
5th-November-2004, 01:13 PM
Apologies to Victor: looking at his website (http://www.compmed-ltd.co.uk/viktor/index.php) it appears that Salsa at Bisley is still on?

SpinDr.

Daniel Sandars
8th-November-2004, 05:46 PM
It failed big time experienced salsa dancers are quite snoby and will not move to a lesser venue even for Victor

It isn't sensible to try to get hardcore Salsa dancers into an MJ class night or even Swing dancers. It is the image more than the dance form that makes Salsa more Popular than MJ amongst the 20-30 somethings

This might be a problem, but it is a format that regularly works at weekenders and events such a 'Swingin' the Blues'. It must be down to how it is managed!

Andreas
8th-November-2004, 09:23 PM
I think it is the music more than anything else!

During the past two months I have visited several Ceroc venues in and around London and so far only two of them played inspiring music. One stands out and that is Adam's St. Albans night with plenty of music that actually lets you PLAY!

Usually what you hear is standard boom boom from start to finish and while it is easy to dance to, it does not get people moving if it wasn't for 'I am here so I might as well'.

Latin music, love it or hate it, is different. I has something in it that captures the mind. Similar applies to R'n'B. The latter one is very simple music but it has got great accents.

my 2 cents :D

Edit: By the way, most music played is too fast! I love a good burn-out but how sexy do you can you make it if both of you are twirling at the speed of the music.

Baruch
9th-November-2004, 12:20 AM
Im sixteen and from the west country area and my regular is newquay jive. Im the youngest there. However i couldn't give a damn about this because i do it for the dancing.
Ah, yes. Newquay Jive. My wife and I went there when we were in Cornwall on honeymoon at the end of July. Definitely a very friendly group, and well-attended too. We had a great time there. I don't think I've ever danced so much in one night! :cheers:

Bill
9th-November-2004, 01:36 PM
From the little salsa I've done it does look as if the moves are sexier because most of them are that much closer - blues with footwork ?? :whistle: But I've seen some very sexy moves and dances from jivers as well.

However, the way I danced salsa it was anything bust sexy :tears: and like many jivers I found the footwrk tricky and kept reverting to ceroc moves. I've noticed that many salsa dancers who come along actually find ceroc difficult becuase they want o do more footwork and are used to that latin rhythm.

I find the music gets a little repetative after a while but seeing two people do it well is great.

Daniel Sandars
9th-November-2004, 03:14 PM
I find the music gets a little repetative after a while but seeing two people do it well is great.

Agreed... A couple of years ago at Beach Boogie the resident staff who have both Salsa and Swing/Jive weeks to look after mentioned how the never got bored of the music at Beach Boogie but where driven spare by 7 days of non-stop Salsa rhythms because of the repetitiveness.

Lynn
9th-November-2004, 03:56 PM
... and kept reverting to ceroc moves... Going to a salsa night tomorrow (not sure how long I will stay, depends on how smoky it gets :tears: ) but I might be tempted to sabotage some of the male leads (ones I know well and who won't mind) who have done some MJ into a few non-salsa moves! :wink:

Cornish Pixie
11th-November-2004, 03:05 PM
Ah, yes. Newquay Jive. My wife and I went there when we were in Cornwall on honeymoon at the end of July. Definitely a very friendly group, and well-attended too. We had a great time there. I don't think I've ever danced so much in one night! :cheers:

I remember you guys. You were the ones that we got to dance with everyone before you could sit down! - How friendly are we!

Baruch
12th-November-2004, 12:19 AM
I remember you guys. You were the ones that we got to dance with everyone before you could sit down! - How friendly are we!
I think "very" sums it up! By the time we got back to our hotel we were both completely shattered, but it was well worth it. We'll definitely be back next time we're in the area. :cheers:

Daniel Sandars
12th-November-2004, 02:48 PM

This might be the new night that you alude to
Bojangles (http://www.bojanglesjive.co.uk)
There seem to be lots of good ideas on the website. Sound like the sort of people I want to get to know :clap:

TheTramp
12th-November-2004, 02:56 PM
Sound like the sort of people I want to get to know :clap:
Yeah. Who are the people running it though? Couldn't find any reference on a quick look through the website....

Trampy

Gus
12th-November-2004, 03:18 PM
This might be the new night that you alude to
Bojangles (http://www.bojanglesjive.co.uk)
There seem to be lots of good ideas on the website. Sound like the sort of people I want to get to know :clap:Well, got to say that from a first impressioon I'm impressed. VERY good marketing, well developed website ... from a marketing perspective possibly the best site I've come across. And Jospeh and Trisha :worthy:

Chicklet
12th-November-2004, 03:41 PM
does look like a good site on the whole but, like all the best sites, they've not got their "they're" right over there :devil:

Gadget
12th-November-2004, 03:47 PM
Under "workshops" they have:

Beginners/Improvers Jive - Competition + Shows
Intermediate Jive - Dips, Drops + Seducers
Advanced Jive - Style + Techniques

"Competition & Shows" is beginner?? You have to be "Advanced" to learn "Style & Techniques"??
I don't know what they expect of their dancers. :confused:

{IMHO it's an OK site - the content is what makes the site; as long as you have an OK layout, (and from this one, it looks like a template from some site generation software) then it all boils down to content.}

TheTramp
12th-November-2004, 04:06 PM
Under "workshops" they have:

Beginners/Improvers Jive - Competition + Shows
Intermediate Jive - Dips, Drops + Seducers
Advanced Jive - Style + Techniques

"Competition & Shows" is beginner?? You have to be "Advanced" to learn "Style & Techniques"??
I don't know what they expect of their dancers. :confused:
I read that as 6 different workshops. 3 have links, 3 don't (presumably they're not running them yet).

Trampy

Lynn
12th-November-2004, 04:10 PM
I read that as 6 different workshops. 3 have links, 3 don't (presumably they're not running them yet). Actually that does make sense looking at it again, but its confusing as the top three are also underlined looking like 'headings' with the others are listed under them. So it certainly appears to be the way Gadget described.

TheTramp
12th-November-2004, 04:59 PM
Actually that does make sense looking at it again, but its confusing as the top three are also underlined looking like 'headings' with the others are listed under them. So it certainly appears to be the way Gadget described.
Agreed. I had to look twice before I came up with my suggestion....

Trampy

David Franklin
13th-November-2004, 11:27 AM
Yeah. Who are the people running it though? Couldn't find any reference on a quick look through the website....A "whois" check reveals:

Domain Name:
bojanglesjive.co.uk

Registrant:
JiveSwing.Com

Registrant's Address:
~snipped for privacy~
Welwyn
Hertfordshire
AL6 0DU
GB

So it would appear it is being run by Joseph & Trisha. Surprised they're not making it more obvious - would have thought that would be a major plus point for the more experienced jivers...

Dave

TheTramp
13th-November-2004, 11:32 AM
Ah.

Now, I wonder why they've done it the way they have. Not made it clear that they're running it, and made it seem like they're special 'guest' teachers for the first four weeks.

Strange....

Trampy

Daniel Sandars
13th-November-2004, 06:23 PM
Ah.

Now, I wonder why they've done it the way they have. Not made it clear that they're running it, and made it seem like they're special 'guest' teachers for the first four weeks.

Strange....

Trampy
Perhaps it is intrigue.....it is really drawing in the curious....not a bad move for a new night that wants to get known fast

For what it is worth I know Trisha has been doing alot of DreamWeaver work on websites, Swingville, GNSH websites have now emerged independantly form JiveSwing.com. Trisha may have registered and possible edited this one, perhaps for a fee. However, I reckon there is more to the story.

Welwyn, which is on Joe and Trisha's doorstep has had no regular Jive for three years. Why not? Of late J&T have majored on Swing, Blues, etc and been very hard to book for straight Jive. I suspect their interest is restricted to teaching the Flavas. MJ will be needed bigtime to bring new dancers to the floor. What is the story there... Someone (s) new is/are acting as a catalyst I reckon! Some dancers fed up with commuting perhaps?

Well that is enough intriguing from me.... I might just have to go along on the launch and find out...

bigdjiver
13th-November-2004, 06:44 PM
Perhaps it is intrigue.....it is really drawing in the curious....not a bad move for a new night that wants to get known fast

For what it is worth I know Trisha has been doing alot of DreamWeaver work on websites, Swingville, GNSH websites have now emerged independantly form JiveSwing.com. Trisha may have registered and possible edited this one, perhaps for a fee. However, I reckon there is more to the story.

Welwyn, which is on Joe and Trisha's doorstep has had no regular Jive for three years. Why not? Of late J&T have majored on Swing, Blues, etc and been very hard to book for straight Jive. I suspect their interest is restricted to teaching the Flavas. MJ will be needed bigtime to bring new dancers to the floor. What is the story there... Someone (s) new is/are acting as a catalyst I reckon! Some dancers fed up with commuting perhaps?

Well that is enough intriguing from me.... I might just have to go along on the launch and find out... :devil: Hmmm ... Someone perhaps using Joseph and Tricia as stalking horses? Try the venue for a few weeks to see how much promise it has before showing their colours, and quitting another organisation? :devil: Whatever, I am already working on people that might be willing to give me a lift to the opening.

:devil: Hmmm Adams gone sarf, Cat's away? :devil:

Daniel Sandars
22nd-November-2004, 07:36 PM
Got a feeling US teacher, Noelle Gray could be teaching a Flava of Modern Jive at February 15th Bojangles. A bit of Blues maybe or even some smooth cheeky Lindy-Jive :clap:

With my wife expecting I am sore that I can't set up another Bluesdance for Noelle...but duty calls....If Noelle's back I'll be there...

Noelle's first showing in the UK has gone down a storm see postings in Social Events re Top US Dance teacher. :worthy:

It was awesome to see a Lindy/WCS teacher adapt effortlessly to MJ, practically creating moves on the spot, from first principles, to suit the MJ dancer's needs. :whistle:

Daniel

Gus
23rd-November-2004, 12:46 PM
:devil: Hmmm ... Someone perhaps using Joseph and Tricia as stalking horses? Try the venue for a few weeks to see how much promise it has before showing their colours, and quitting another organisation? :devil: Whatever, I am already working on people that might be willing to give me a lift to the opening.

:devil: Hmmm Adams gone sarf, Cat's away? :devil:Why all the deep suspicion? Surely another club opening up is great news, as long as they just aren’t going to target dancers form other clubs. Am I missing something but a few of these posts seem to suggest something untoward is going on. given the absolute pain and misery there is in setting up a club, I thought such brave souls should be lauded rather than slated. If they've managed to tempt the likes of Jo and Trish even more reason to support them. Confused :confused:

Lindsay
23rd-November-2004, 02:12 PM
hear hear.

bigdjiver
23rd-November-2004, 04:21 PM
Why all the deep suspicion? Surely another club opening up is great news, as long as they just aren’t going to target dancers form other clubs. Am I missing something but a few of these posts seem to suggest something untoward is going on. given the absolute pain and misery there is in setting up a club, I thought such brave souls should be lauded rather than slated. If they've managed to tempt the likes of Jo and Trish even more reason to support them. Confused :confused: I think the opening of a new club is almost always good news, and I am certainly willing to laud the brave souls involved, except that they seem to be reticent to say who they are.

Joseph has been a hero of mine ever since the first Ceroc freestyle in Nottingham. I invited the coach driver up to have a look, expecting him to be impressed by a normal freestyle. Instead we were instead both blown completely away by our first viewing of Joseph doing a doubles freestyle to a fast track. It was a demonstration at Championship winning level. More recently I loved J&T's blues workshop. Whatever is "going on", this venture has to be good for modern jive & blues, and though pain and misery is supposed to be good for the blues, I hope there is none.

Daniel Sandars
24th-November-2004, 08:27 PM
You can't stop folks intriguing.....However, as dancers let's judge as we find it. That has always got to be the bottom line. I'll be there!!

Daniel Sandars
26th-November-2004, 07:19 PM
Why all the deep suspicion? Surely another club opening up is great news, as long as they just aren’t going to target dancers form other clubs. Am I missing something but a few of these posts seem to suggest something untoward is going on. given the absolute pain and misery there is in setting up a club, I thought such brave souls should be lauded rather than slated. Confused :confused:

I totally relate to that.........now. Glad you've laid it on the line for the Hipsters of the North.
Certainly as crew I reckon on more pain than gain for 95% of the time. The payback is when an artistically inspired event creates a great buzzz with the dancers.....then your on a roll :clap:

Gordon J Pownall
30th-November-2004, 03:25 PM
Why all the deep suspicion? Surely another club opening up is great news, as long as they just aren’t going to target dancers form other clubs. Am I missing something but a few of these posts seem to suggest something untoward is going on. given the absolute pain and misery there is in setting up a club, I thought such brave souls should be lauded rather than slated. If they've managed to tempt the likes of Jo and Trish even more reason to support them. Confused :confused:

I think it will be a great night and well worth the visit......not teaching Tuesdays now so I may even pop over myself....probably.....'specially if J and T are there....

Gordon J Pownall
30th-November-2004, 03:27 PM
:devil: Hmmm Adams gone sarf, Cat's away? :devil:

What could you possibly mean - which Adam and what cat....... :wink:

Daniel Sandars
30th-November-2004, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't compare the two. :confused: From the evidence one can only conclude that there has been no market for his sort thing in Welwyn GC for three years. :(

For me Bjs has to be, and promises to be, something that is original. :clap: The closest, at a stretch, would be to say it might be a Bisley on the North side of the M25?

Daniel Sandars
21st-January-2005, 03:16 PM
Two weeks since the launch and not bad at all. :waycool:
We have seen Flavas of Blues, a jazz stroll and even a Blues themed intermediate Jive class.

Well done Joe for taking beginners and getting them up for doing double spins by week two!!!! Even hardened taxi dancers from other venue walked away in awe of the quality and ambition of the teaching at Bojangles :worthy:

Well done Helen Reed and her 'Rock Bar' for introducing us all to Mocktails, which are about the most sophisticated fun drink that you can have and still drive home!!!:cheers:

As for the freestyling all I can say is it has been a while since I've seen a floor buzzing and full right to the last track of the night. The Don (Clive Green) is clearly a great DJ to have on side

Modern Jive is back in Welwyn Garden City in style... :clap:

bigdjiver
21st-January-2005, 05:05 PM
Two weeks since the launch and not bad at all. :waycool: ... Modern Jive is back in Welwyn Garden City in style... :clap:Good to hear that it is still going well. I was gutted that I got to the launch too late for the lessons. It was advertised that Mikey was taking one of them, and I wanted to see him in action. My lift was late, and got lost in the town centre. We did not see a single pedestrian there, or a moving vehicle. From that it looks like Welwyn could do with some more night life.
I had a super time, dancing with too seldom seen friends.

I liked the use of the very long "Kansas City" version as a swop partners when told track, and was pleased to see that some of the guys swapped with the spare ladies standing out.

I wish I could get there more often, I want to learn more blues.

Banana Man
6th-February-2005, 03:37 PM
Good to hear that it is still going well. I was gutted that I got to the launch too late for the lessons. It was advertised that Mikey was taking one of them, and I wanted to see him in action. My lift was late, and got lost in the town centre. We did not see a single pedestrian there, or a moving vehicle. From that it looks like Welwyn could do with some more night life.
I had a super time, dancing with too seldom seen friends.

I liked the use of the very long "Kansas City" version as a swop partners when told track, and was pleased to see that some of the guys swapped with the spare ladies standing out.

I wish I could get there more often, I want to learn more blues.

Missed the last two weeks but intend to be there for the next two because the Flava class on the 8th is Blues by J & T :worthy: , and the 15th is advertised as a Valentine's Ball with international guest teachers (TBA) who I think are also teaching at the Goodnight Sweetheart weekend.

Daniel Sandars
7th-February-2005, 03:26 PM
My under standing is the US Blues Ace, Noelle Gray, is tipped to be the Flava o' Blues Teacher for the Feb 15th Red and Black Valentines Ball and class.

If so I can't wait 'cause she won :cheers: over every dancer she came across on her November 2004 tour, including UK Blues teachers Nina Daines :worthy: and Roger Chin. :worthy:

D

Bill
7th-February-2005, 05:45 PM
My under standing is the US Blues Ace, Noelle Gray, is tipped to be the Flava o' Blues Teacher for the Feb 15th Red and Black Valentines Ball and class.

D

No Scottish dates then ???????? :sick:

Daniel Sandars
7th-February-2005, 06:24 PM
No Scottish dates then ???????? :sick:
I posted the answer to that question, but Franck binned it!
Noelle's tour dates are summarised on a website quoted not a million miles down from here.
D

Zero
6th-March-2005, 01:20 PM

Anyone else getting anything on this. I guess there must be a website somewhere if this is anything to this other than talk. Sounds like fun and a much needed breath of fresh air around these partsSounds like BoJangles.

(My first post to this forum. Be gentle...)

under par
6th-March-2005, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the forum Zero I am sure you'll have fun with all the friendly bunch on here.

Have a look at the "By way of introduction " thread (in beginners corner I think)
and let us know a bit more about yourself when you're ready.

If you are unsure of anything feel free to ask either on the forum or send a Private messaage to a regular posting member I'm sure they'll help.

Under Par

Minnie M
6th-March-2005, 02:18 PM
:confused: of what ?

Or is it that your first post is a link :whistle: watch out the moderaters will soon be about.

Welcome Zero - happy posting :flower:

Zero
6th-March-2005, 02:24 PM
What a wonderfully diplomatic reply!

Now that I've figured out the correct chronological order of the posts :o I'll go and introduce myself properly...