PDA

View Full Version : Gymnastics - I can still do......

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 10:58 AM
Apropos of ABSOLUTELY NOTHING :what: :really: :devil: :waycool:

Tick all that apply girls, you know you want to :D

Lory
3rd-November-2004, 11:18 AM
I can still do loads but these days......

A. I need so much more time to warm up! :rolleyes:

B. Alcohol is a major factor! :whistle:

C. I can't walk for days after! :tears:

Andy McGregor
3rd-November-2004, 11:56 AM
In my experience the difficult bit is how you find out you can no longer do those things :tears:

I found out I can no longer do the splits by snapping a hamstring :sick:

I will never be quite the same again and recommend to anyone over 40 thinking of trying to find out what they can still do to warm up before attemting anything - and, while nice and warm, sit down with a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit, put your feet up and 'not' do any of those things on that list :flower:

..in fact, change that to anyone over 25 :wink:

Divissima
3rd-November-2004, 01:04 PM
Alas, I never learned to do any of the exciting and bendy things mentioned in the poll... I've always quite liked the idea of learning, though. Anyone know of any adult gymnastics classes?

That sounds very dodgy, so clean suggestions only please :devil:

Lindsay
3rd-November-2004, 01:23 PM
After a good warm-up & a few pints & can do most, but would LOVE to master the splits! I have been doing exercises that Aleks and another girl showed me for 2 months (when I remember) but I'm still quite far from the floor.
Any tips??

DavidB
3rd-November-2004, 01:38 PM
Anyone know of any adult gymnastics classes?
Camberley Gymnastics Club used to run one. I think Hendon might as well.

Alternatively you could try Circus Space.

Lory
3rd-November-2004, 01:43 PM
After a good warm-up & a few pints & can do most, but would LOVE to master the splits! I have been doing exercises that Aleks and another girl showed me for 2 months (when I remember) but I'm still quite far from the floor.
Any tips??
More Alcohol! :wink:

David Franklin
3rd-November-2004, 01:49 PM
Camberley Gymnastics Club used to run one. I think Hendon might as well.Hendon had adult classes when I asked about a year ago. Circus Space had about a 2 month waiting list for their (mandatory) induction class when I asked recently.

Dave

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 01:52 PM
I'll be honest and say I can actually only do the splits left leg forward and if I haven't had anything to eat and if I've been stretching properly for the previous few weeks and am recently out of the sauna hahaha etc...so it's still there...but not really "on demand". I've hurt my back and haven't been dancing since Southport really (yeah I know, only a couple of people noticed :tears: :tears: ) but I have been in the pool doing 50 lengths a few times a week....and then lots of other excercises and stretches pulled out of all corners of my memory....I'm sure I must be getting funny looks sometimes but cos I haven't got my glasses on or my lenese in I can't tell :D ....anyway...shallow end...leg up on edge of pool is like a high barre...so good for the stuff I used to do when I was at gymnastics when I was wee...which are very like the Callinetics (remember her :what: ) stretches I learned 15 years ago...which I'm sure will be the ballet stretches Alexs will know well.....I spy a girlystretchcorner at the next R66!! (DD, better put it on the flyers!!)

I am very conscious that the only reason I can do any of this at all is because I did it religiously as a child...Parents take note...indulge your little girls, they'll love you for it later!!!

Honestly can't say I've ever heard of any adult Gymnastics classes Divi, doubt there would be anything really because it really could be very dangerous for adults without the suppleness and or the strength in the muscles.....think if anyone went to a class without having done it for years as a child they might be politely asked to go to ballet first?

That said, I decided I wanted to learn to skate a few years ago and just turned up at a 4 year olds class and demanded to be taught....they said I would be out if I landed on any of the small people but funnily enough every time I fell it was on Kevin....the hockey player....from Canada.... :blush:

Here's a test ..... get a smallish cushion and put it about 6 inches away from the wall forehead on cushion and hands making a triangle with head.....legs together straight out....lift legs into headstand with stomach muscles and no momentum...not as easy as you might think....

Divissima
3rd-November-2004, 01:54 PM
Camberley Gymnastics Club used to run one. I think Hendon might as well.

Alternatively you could try Circus Space.
Thanks, David. I'll look into it. Kind of related... on the DVD Mark Harding was selling during his recent UK Tour, Debbie Cantoni introduces her section explaining she isn't able to demo the moves herself due to a 'trapeze accident' the previous week (at least, I think that's what she said - something very acrobatic, at any rate) :really: Maybe I'm a bit old to get into trapeze, but I've always been wildly envious of people who can do the splits, cartwheels, etc. Time maybe to step outside the comfort zone before I really am too old.

Don't worry, Chicklet, I'd only do it taking everything very slowly and under full supervision from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Bigger Andy
3rd-November-2004, 02:05 PM
We will obviously need some proof of your claims, ladies !

I look forward to seeing the demonstrations !

:devil:

:drool:

Lynn
3rd-November-2004, 02:10 PM
Maybe I'm a bit old to get into trapeze, but I've always been wildly envious of people who can do the splits, cartwheels, etc. Time maybe to step outside the comfort zone before I really am too old. Relevant link from the SCD thread from Amir might be interesting...

Regardless, most people are so far from their flexability potential that the structure of their joints does not come into account. The following website shows you how to check if your hips joints will let you do the splits, for example, which most people have the potential to do with the right kind of training:

http://209.197.88.183/catalog&test.html

Some people can do the splits with no training and some people need hours and hours of work over several months.

Lory
3rd-November-2004, 02:10 PM
I joined a health club on Monday and yesterday I went swimming and to my horror, I was knackered after only 15 lengths :eek: anyway, a aquarobics class started up and saved me, so I joined in that and felt so much better as I didn't find it too hard at all, :nice: it was only when I looked round I realised I was at least 10years younger than anyone else in the class! :sick:

Re Adult classes, my son has attended both Hendon and Circus space and from what I've seen, Hendon is probably more geared to adults who have previously been gymnasts but Circus Space is very mixed ability, I'm not sure if it's still the same now but they used to have Adult classes around midday on Sundays. They also had adult classes at Compton sport centre in Finchley. (not sure of any details though) :)

Zebra Woman
3rd-November-2004, 02:28 PM
I can still do those things but I'm on borrowed time and it doesn't look very elegant at all. :blush: and takes a lot of preparation. I have only once done the splits on the dancefloor never again. :sick:

I didn't do gymnastics as a child and don't know any exercises but I know a really good game which acts as a kind of warm up for attempting the splits.
Very good for Xmas House Parties.

It's THE CARDBOARD BOX GAME
All the family can play even toddlers (especially toddlers - they can win!)

Take a cereal packet and put it upright in the middle of the floor. Everyone stands in a circle and takes it in turn to pick the box up with their teeth. When everyone has had a go 1 to 2 inches are cut of the height of the box. And everyone goes again.

The rules are :

Only your feet can touch the ground, no hands/knees
3 Failed attempts and you're out for good

The box is cut down probably six times until it is a tray with a 2mm lip round the edge....When everyone has picked that up, the foot of the box is cut into credit card sized pieced and the remaining contestants try to pick them up simultanoeusly. Of course they are all winners by then.

Tips:
Sort out your footwear barefeet or socks
Wear loose clothing and appropriate underwear :eek:
Stay well back if you're watching
When it's the credit card suck it up with your lips
Exhale at the last minute, to get just a little bit lower

If any one wants to challenge me to a game go ahead, but you must warn me in advance so I put the right trousers on (my lucky ones)... :devil:
ZW

CJ
3rd-November-2004, 02:33 PM
I joined a health club on Monday and yesterday I went swimming and to my horror, I was knackered after only 15 lengths :eek:

15 lengths?!?!? Ahh... the good ol' days... Could never do that now (at least not including foreplay)

Aleks
3rd-November-2004, 02:33 PM
I never went to gymnastics.....although my mum coached a few local gymnasts doing floorwork in preparation for competitions.
I only did Ballet, but the strength and suppleness needed after 15 years training stood me in good stead! I'm really lucky to have always stayed as stretchy.
I did go back to ballet classes in my mid 20s and started doing yoga too, something which has fallen by the wayside recently.

(I've just put the first item on my new years resolutions list - go back to them!)

Lory
3rd-November-2004, 02:39 PM
If any one wants to challenge me to a game go ahead, but you must warn me in advance so I put the right trousers on (my lucky ones)... :devil:
ZWI'm game! :cheers: :D My challet, Camber? Andy if you want to join in, you must wear proper knickers! :whistle:

Andy McGregor
3rd-November-2004, 02:39 PM
As a guy I found that the way to stay/get supple was martial arts training. They do loads of stretching exercises and even have devices that look like instruments of torture to help you. I'd always been able to do the scissors style splits but after about 18 months of stretching I found I could do the box splits (side-to-side) and the scissors style splits way past 180 degrees.

I could still do the splits up to the age of 45. But, for an ageing guy who only does MJ the question has to be 'why do the splits and risk permanent injury?'

David Franklin
3rd-November-2004, 02:52 PM
As a guy I found that the way to stay/get supple was martial arts training. They do loads of stretching exercises and even have devices that look like instruments of torture to help you. I'd always been able to do the scissors style splits but after about 18 months of stretching I found I could do the box splits (side-to-side) and the scissors style splits way past 180 degrees.According to the http://209.197.88.183/catalog&test.html site, my hip joints won't let me do either kind :tears: I was surprised, as I can nearly do the splits - but it seems I'm already pretty much at the limit my joints will allow.

But, for an ageing guy who only does MJ the question has to be 'why do the splits and risk permanent injury?'Well, there's this move Gregory and Tommye do, where he lifts the girl into a kind-of reverse candlestick, she drops into inverted splits, and then he drops into the splits for her to exit... Works great on a social dance floor once you know the signal... :devil:

Dave

Zebra Woman
3rd-November-2004, 03:04 PM
I'm game! :cheers: :D My challet, Camber? Andy if you want to join in, you must wear proper knickers! :whistle:

You're on!

Oh no!! :rofl: That photo :eek: it's back in my head again :tears:

Yeah safety pants all round, we don't want any accidents do we?

ZW :hug: nips off to do some stretches

Gus
3rd-November-2004, 03:08 PM
It's THE CARDBOARD BOX GAME
[COLOR=Navy]All the family can play even toddlers (especially toddlers - they can win!)I'd forgotten all about this game .... we played it at an after club party 3 years ago ... only trouble was that two of us got down to the credit card stage (I could still bend in thode days) so the winner had to be decided by out and out cheating and applied brute force :whistle:

Mary
3rd-November-2004, 03:36 PM
I can do all of those, but have always had difficulty with the splits, and I always found walkovers a bit of a struggle. However, as some people have seen, I can still do somersaults, and anything that requires some strength and balance. But I really should stop doing that kind of stuff soon!!!!! :(

Can highly recommend yoga - for the short time that I did it I found it improved my flexibility no end - must take it up again.

M

Minnie M
3rd-November-2004, 04:02 PM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Andy McGregor
3rd-November-2004, 04:04 PM
Well, there's this move Gregory and Tommye do, where he lifts the girl into a kind-of reverse candlestick, she drops into inverted splits, and then he drops into the splits for her to exit... Works great on a social dance floor once you know the signal... :devil:

Dave

I think he's doing that move to distract us from the fact that he's wearing lilac :sick:

David Franklin
3rd-November-2004, 04:14 PM
I think he's doing that move to distract us from the fact that he's wearing lilac :sick:Pot: Pot to Kettle, Pot to Kettle, come in Kettle!
Kettle: Kettle here.
Pot: You are exhibiting a low albedo, over.
Kettle: Say again?
Pot: You are soot-like.
Kettle: Er...?
Pot: You are black. Black, geddit?

Dave

Andy McGregor
3rd-November-2004, 04:16 PM
Pot: Pot to Kettle, Pot to Kettle, come in Kettle!
Kettle: Kettle here.
Pot: You are exhibiting a low albedo, over.
Kettle: Say again?
Pot: You are soot-like.
Kettle: Er...?
Pot: You are black. Black, geddit?

Dave

I only wear lilac when I dress in women's clothing - this colour is not even slightly manly - and as someone who is 'slightly manly' I should know :wink:

David Franklin
3rd-November-2004, 04:34 PM
I only wear lilac when I dress in women's clothing - this colour is not even slightly manly - and as someone who is 'slightly manly' I should know :wink:Touche - I obviously cannot compete with such expertise...

Though I think the accurate truth is that neither you or Gregory would ever consider distracting people from your choice of clothing...

Anyhow, I think even lilac is better than what Paul Killick was wearing on SCD2 last Saturday!

Dave

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 05:15 PM
Anyhow, I think even lilac is better than what Paul Killick was wearing on SCD2 last Saturday!
Dave

"wearing"?????
surely "sporting" would be more apt??

small children were hiding behind sofas all over the country, I was one of them
yeuch

Zebra Woman
3rd-November-2004, 06:23 PM
Though I think the accurate truth is that neither you or Gregory would ever consider distracting people from your choice of clothing...

:yeah: :rofl:

Dave
:yeah: It was yuk! And it was a vest too double yuk

David, that photo is amazing , I can even forgive Gregory his lilac top :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
ZW

Forte
3rd-November-2004, 06:39 PM

You are mad...but I like you! :nice:

Sparkles
3rd-November-2004, 06:50 PM
Are a back-bend and a crab the same things? In either case, can someone tell me how to get out again in a 'lady-like' way (ie without ending up in a crumpled heap on the floor), please? I can 'assume the position' but then get a bit stuck :sick:.
Can't say "I can still do the splits" because I never have been able to do them - something that has annoyed me all my life!
S. x

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 06:51 PM
I still love to to cartwheels, but i always end up dead sore!

Sparkles
3rd-November-2004, 06:53 PM
I still love to to cartwheels, but i always end up dead sore!
Thank you for that little gem :rolleyes:

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 06:56 PM
Thank you for that little gem :rolleyes:

I do though. In cartwheels you use loads of different muscles and as a child you wouldn't have noticed but as an adult you certainly do! Although not really till the next day, when your hangover is kicking in!!!!

:hug:

Dance Demon
3rd-November-2004, 08:23 PM
I spy a girlystretchcorner at the next R66!! (DD, better put it on the flyers!!)

Jeez.....hall only holds about 120 comfortably. If I put this on the flyers we'll be turning folk away:rofl:
Old venue was in a dance centre, and had barres along the walls and full length mirrors, which would have been Ideal but you'll have to make do with radiators at the new place. ....oh and by the way, I seem to recall a certain person in a red retro frock doing a cartwheel across the floor at a battle of the DJs comp in Northwich earlier this year............Now theres an Idea for a theme night :D

PS.......next Route 66 is on Fri 19th Nov. for those who didn't know.......details HERE (www.route66jive.com)

Amir
3rd-November-2004, 09:35 PM
According to the http://209.197.88.183/catalog&test.html site, my hip joints won't let me do either kind :tears: I was surprised, as I can nearly do the splits - but it seems I'm already pretty much at the limit my joints will allow.

Dave

This may be because of tight ligaments at the front of your hips. Simply tilting your pelvis forward might give you the extra couple of inches if thats how far off you are. You can also try rotating one of both legs outwards, as you may find your joints are slightly looser in that direction.

By the way, most of the guys you see in modern jive who drop down into splits and back up keep their back leg slightly bent, which is a form of splits you can achieve even if you don't have a 180 degree angle in your hips. The thing is, its not the getting down there that is the difficult bit!

Also, the test on that web site isn't perfect: some people who don't pass the test will still be able to do the splits, as it is still muscle not bone holding you back from the positions in the pictures. Its just a quick way to prove to most people that there is nothing in their anatomical structure preventing it.

Gadget
4th-November-2004, 12:21 AM
I saw Adam do the splits in a workshop - shrug with a tinge of envy. Then he slid back up again .:worthy::worthy:

I have always wanted to do tumbling, but I'm too lazy to put in the effort to become supple enough. Hell, I can't even touch my toes!
I do have a tramopline in the back garden though... I'll get a sumersault yet -I can do a flip to the back and bounce to my feet, just need to get more rotation and tuck my legs up more. :D {the main thing to watch for is avoiding bouncing the kids off it :devil:}

David Franklin
4th-November-2004, 01:23 AM
By the way, most of the guys you see in modern jive who drop down into splits and back up keep their back leg slightly bent, which is a form of splits you can achieve even if you don't have a 180 degree angle in your hips. The thing is, its not the getting down there that is the difficult bit! Yeah, I can do that one. The thing is, I was seriously looking at combining it with liftwork (e.g. the Tommye/Gregory move), and there is no way I would consider doing that with only a partial split - too much load on the knee. And none of the 'cheats' really go very well with lifting either. I could probably do the T/G move if I wore a kneepad for the back knee and accept that is going to be pressed into the floor very hard. I'm not that bothered about the move...

Also, the test on that web site isn't perfect: some people who don't pass the test will still be able to do the splits, as it is still muscle not bone holding you back from the positions in the pictures. Its just a quick way to prove to most people that there is nothing in their anatomical structure preventing it.I'm actually quite a way off according to those tests - but for the "down/up" move you don't really notice it that much - as you say, most people don't keep the back leg straight anyhow. At 35, I'm not particularly bothered to 'push' these boundaries much anymore - if it comes to it, I'd much rather get my shoulders sorted out!

Dave

Lindsay
4th-November-2004, 09:24 PM
http://209.197.88.183/catalog&test.html
Some people can do the splits with no training and some people need hours and hours of work over several months.

OK, I'm off to try this. If you don't hear anything for a few days, there's a key in the plant pot round the side.

:(

Lory
4th-November-2004, 09:34 PM
OK, I'm off to try this. If you don't hear anything for a few days, there's a key in the plant pot round the side.

:(
Why not try this next time? you could stay on the forum at the same time! :rofl:

Chicklet
5th-November-2004, 10:38 AM
Are a back-bend and a crab the same things? In either case, can someone tell me how to get out again in a 'lady-like' way x

*Racks memory for technical terms* IF I remember correctly, one can do a backbend INTO a crab, but one can also do a crab as a push from the floor....and OF COURSE the way to come out of it is by lifting one leg over the body and put it down by one's hands and stand up again all in one continuous controlled motion from the backbend :eek:

We should go round and practice on Lindsay's beam next weekend, to music, with strobe lights. :rofl:

Lory
5th-November-2004, 11:03 AM
*Racks memory for technical terms* IF I remember correctly, one can do a backbend INTO a crab, but one can also do a crab as a push from the floor....and OF COURSE the way to come out of it is by lifting one leg over the body and put it down by one's hands and stand up again all in one continuous controlled motion from the backbend :eek:

We should go round and practice on Lindsay's beam next weekend, to music, with strobe lights. :rofl:
I'm sure we used to call it a 'bridge' and if we bent backwards into it, then kicked our legs over the top, to reach standing position again, this was called a 'backwards walkover'. But if reached from a Handstand, through 'bridge' then stand up forwards, the was called a 'forwards walkover'.

Maybe it's called different names in different parts of the country :confused:

I'm far too scared to even attempt one :sick:

Chicklet
5th-November-2004, 11:16 AM
[QUOTE=Lory]Maybe it's called different names in different parts of the country :confused:
[QUOTE]

I was in the Gulf with a mad Aussie teacher (who also taught tennis to kids by going to a lesson in a hotel on a Tuesday (~10 dinar) and teaching it on a Thursday to 10 kids for 5 dinar each!) so would not be suprised to find NOBODY remembers the names I do!!