PDA

View Full Version : Vettriano????

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 10:46 AM
I will post my thoughts later, curious to see if anyone has an opinion for "art-corner"
C :D

Divissima
3rd-November-2004, 10:56 AM
I agree - many of the images have been over-exposed now. But they are still great images. I don't know much of his other work you mention, but will take a look.

I find art thrilling, intriguing, confusing, inspiring. I don't always like what I see, but I love the challenge of engaging with it. I went to a large art fair at Earls Court recently - more or less unknown artists, but some fantastic art. For display in my home, I have to admit I prefer photography - although I have a very beautiful print of one of Kate's flower paintings up in my living room.

John S
3rd-November-2004, 11:02 AM
Can't make up my mind about Jack!

There's no doubt his pictures touch something inside me (and presumably in other people as well) - I certainly don't find them joyous, there's a sort of languor, boredom, ennui (and sometimes menace) about them, as though even when the participants seem as though they should be enjoying themselves they're not - they're like actors going through the motions.

And I can't ignore all the "experts" who reckon his technique is poor or at best average - I don't have any art background so like it or not, I'm influenced by them as well - after all, just being popular doesn't equate to talent - see any number of musical acts nowadays!

But what I really like is that a self-taught Fife boy who was basically told he would never amount to much, has done so well for himself in the teeth of opposition from the establishment.

And if anyone hasn't any idea what we're going on about, you can read this:
www.guardian.co.uk/arts/ news/story/0,11711,1120728,00.html

John S
3rd-November-2004, 11:07 AM
Am I going mad?

I read a thread started by Chicklet, replied to it, then found that it had morphed into a poll and Chicklet's message had vanished!

Spooky! :eek:

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 11:08 AM
www.vettriano-art.com/exhibition5.html

Here's another address showing some of the darker items ...not available on mouse mats.....

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 11:09 AM
Am I going mad?

I read a thread started by Chicklet, replied to it, then found that it had morphed into a poll and Chicklet's message had vanished!

Spooky! :eek:

nah John, you're just as sane as you were er, yesterday :whistle: ;) I changed my mind while I was putting the poll bit up and decided to hold my thoughts till later.....

Trousers
3rd-November-2004, 11:25 AM
Personally I like JV's art.

Ok its sentimental stuff but you can look at it and enjoy.
Surely the point of art is to provide pleasure for the viewer.

And Chicklet the Poll is definately one sided there, it's either Genius or garbage where is the middle of the road option such as 'Yes I like it'

I would quite happily accept any original Vettriano's that people think are rubbish or not art or are populist rubbish. Send them down more the merrier I have big walls.

ChrisA
3rd-November-2004, 12:07 PM
I agree - many of the images have been over-exposed now. But they are still great images. I don't know much of his other work you mention, but will take a look.

Er, just to prove how completely ignorant I am, are they photos or paintings?

If they're paintings, then :worthy:, and if they're photos then also :worthy:, but for different reasons.

I like em. I voted Who? cos I'd never heard of him :blush:

Chris

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 12:19 PM
They are paintings Chris, but you've hit the nail somewhat on the head there...it is the stylised photographic element of them that I find particularly appealing, almost like larger than life photos....and many look as though they could have been taken in one of the dark back corners of Rogano (parochial Glasgow reference) where all the nice girls set their favourite fantasies....

I'm not suprised you didn't recognise the paintings in the link, they are not available as prints or on any other merchandise (look ver good in the new book available this week in all good bookstores however :D )

I'm fairly sure you would recognise some of his work however.

Minnie M
3rd-November-2004, 12:27 PM
Amazing :worthy: love his stuff - have a couple of his painting (prints unfortunately) on my walls.

ChrisA
3rd-November-2004, 12:31 PM
They are paintings Chris, but you've hit the nail somewhat on the head there...it is the stylised photographic element of them that I find particularly appealing, almost like larger than life photos....and many look as though they could have been taken in one of the dark back corners of Rogano (parochial Glasgow reference) where all the nice girls set their favourite fantasies....

....... :yeah:

Exactly my feeling too.

Fab. :worthy:

Thanks for bringing him to my attention. Not sure if I'd like any of it on my walls, but i could happily spend a while looking at a gallery of them.

Chris :flower:

latinlover
3rd-November-2004, 12:41 PM
www.vettriano-art.com/exhibition5.html

Here's another address showing some of the darker items ...not available on mouse mats.....

:clap: :clap:
fantastic thread Chicklet! I tried to rep you but not allowed :sad:

So what if it is popular I still love it
I love that there are pictures of dancing for my lounge(got several)
I love the darker stuff too(reminds me of Edward Hopper, recently at Tate Modern)
I absolutely agree with john s about the fact he has no training and has stuck 2 fingers up at the art establishment and has been able to make a living fom painting. It is a shame that it's everywhere because I think that stops people from properly looking at his work, but at least it makes it affordable for me!
Almost all figurative art is undervalued these days by the so-called cognicienti(sp?)and not all artists are interested in cutting up cows or recreating their bedrooms :rolleyes:
whatever happened to good old painting and sculpture? :angry:
oops rant over

Divissima
3rd-November-2004, 12:57 PM
Am I going mad?

Spooky! :eek:And now my original post makes absolutely no sense at all! :rolleyes: Perhaps I could just pretend that the non sequitur was deliberately Dadaist :D

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 06:59 PM
I was recently at the museum of modern art in Glasgow and saw a really amazing painting that a friend of mine would like (ie the painters style) I told her the name, but she has forgotten it before getting a chance to look at his work! I can't remember either, but the painted was influeneced by Dali, now i know this is a stupid question but does anyone have an idea who i am talking about?

:hug:

Little Monkey
3rd-November-2004, 08:16 PM
And I can't ignore all the "experts" who reckon his technique is poor or at best average - I don't have any art background so like it or not, I'm influenced by them as well - after all, just being popular doesn't equate to talent - see any number of musical acts nowadays!

But what I really like is that a self-taught Fife boy who was basically told he would never amount to much, has done so well for himself in the teeth of opposition from the establishment.

:yeah:

Two fingers up to the art critics! Yeah!

Having spent four years in art college, and five years as a self employed artist, there's nothing I love more than someone like Vettriano who comes along and shows 'em all that you don't need any formal training in art to become a very sought after artist! "They" (=the critics) claim he can't paint, but if you look at most of what comes under the category "modern painting" these days, you'll find that they've got bags of "concepts" and not that much actuall skill or talent in painting...

Example: A guy who graduated from art college (a few years before my time) had spent most of his time drunk or stoned, and had no idea what to do for his degree show. What he did have was the Gift of the Gob. So he painted all his canvases black, came up with a Deep and Meaningful Concept, and got a first class.....

The moral of the story (or rant?): If you like it, buy it. Doesn't matter wether the artist is world famous, just graduated from college, or has no training whatsoever. If you like it, that's what counts!

Ranting Artist Monkey

Gadget
3rd-November-2004, 11:46 PM
His work reminds me of another artist... damn it... seems to paint a lot of "scenary" with just a focus of people: each painting seems to be painted just before something happens. A master of composition, died quite recently and there was a program on TV about him and his works... lived in a beach house towards the end of his life... aaargh just can't pull a name from my brain...

ToeTrampler
4th-November-2004, 01:07 AM
I never really knew anything about Vettriano’s background when I first saw his stuff but what I did know was that I really, really liked it. For me; his background, his training or the critics view of his work really do not affect me one way or another. While his ‘darker’ paintings certainly have a greater intensity or tension about them, it is the more popularist or ‘mousemat’ paintings that I adore the most. The common themes that run through these painting such as the watery reflective sand/floor, the dramatic skys, the yellowing light and the focus on characters’ formations and shapes instead of their faces/details seem to always grab my attention. I also enjoy the calmness of these paintings, a lot of them make me feel like the scene takes place just after, or near the end of, an event. For me they have that relaxing feeling of something that is winding down – the last dance, the wandering home after a day out, the last day of summer – that sort of thing. I can’t quite put my finger on why I get this feeling but it’s bit like the same as how an empty stadium feels different after an event than it did before the event – same stadium but a different emptiness.

So for me the vote has to be - Genius :worthy:

Tiggerbabe
4th-November-2004, 02:42 AM
I really like his stuff too (both the popular and the dark) and like many of us have one of his prints hanging on my wall (and another that I would dearly love to have). I went to an exhibition of his in Kirkcaldy (alongside an exhibition on the history and demise of the mining industry in Fife) and it was truly fascinating to look at some of his original pictures, some of which were quite disturbing in content.

I'm sure I heard/read someplace that many of Hollywood's biggest stars are keen to have an original Vettriano in their home - Jack Nicholson is reputed to be a huge fan :clap:

Zebra Woman
4th-November-2004, 10:44 AM
:clap: :clap:
fantastic thread Chicklet!

So what if it is popular I still love it

I love the darker stuff too(reminds me of Edward Hopper, recently at Tate Modern)
I absolutely agree with john s about the fact he has no training and has stuck 2 fingers up at the art establishment and has been able to make a living fom painting. It is a shame that it's everywhere because I think that stops people from properly looking at his work, but at least it makes it affordable for me!
Almost all figurative art is undervalued these days by the so-called cognicienti(sp?)and not all artists are interested in cutting up cows or recreating their bedrooms :rolleyes:
whatever happened to good old painting and sculpture? :angry:
oops rant over
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: All of that .

Chicklet
5th-November-2004, 03:07 PM
Matt Crawford bought one ten years ago!!!!
Lilian's just seen it!!!!
:clap: :rofl:

Graham
5th-November-2004, 03:14 PM
I feel I'm in something of a minority here. I think it's okay, but as has been pointed out his technique isn't anything special, and I don't think it's all that original. I think he deserves to be the best-selling artist in Britain at the moment, but I won't be buying a print any time soon!

Whitebeard
6th-November-2004, 12:03 AM
This is an interesting thread that's set me thinking that I've probably missed a great deal as a result of an some inner blindness. Sadly, I could never get particularly excited about any representative visual image (avoiding the word Art for its many negative and pretentious connotations). Whereas music can reach deep to an emmotional level and set a mood, from tears to elation, the most I could say of any man-made image is that, yes, I quite 'like' that. No picture, or sculpture, could stir me to feel or exclaim, "I love that". The subject matter, composition, execution, the use of colour, may cause admiration and some pleasure but that's about it. I can also admire craftwork, cartoons, or even commercial artwork, for much the same reasons and feel little, if anything, to distinguish between the two.

I suspect that most people aren't too different in their reactions, but it is evident that visual art (I'll use that word now) can arouse much more passion in some others. Can this really be the same sort of intense passion that music can arouse?

Returning to the subject of the thread I do nevertheless, find myself quite drawn to these Vettriano pictures for their snapshot in time quality, the strong composition, and the nostalgic nature of their human subject matter. They remind me, in a way, of the work of Lowry whose evocative scenes bring alive the grim reality of a past life in those Northern mill and mining towns. Those scuttling matchstick figures (who might have been my forebears) seem to show some of the wry humour and resilience that made such a life just about bearable.

And to think my main gripe in life is the quality of some of the music played on MJ nights!!

Chas
11th-November-2004, 12:57 AM
I have spent this year with my 2004 Jack Vettriano diary - a little bit dark and a lot of bright.
Just about sums up my year so far!
Never heard of the guy before I bought the diary - but became an instant fan.
He was there for me in my dark moments from January to June during chemotherapy.
He was there for me in my deep thoughful moods from June to August.
He was there for me while I was facing the world through radiotherapy from August to September.
And he was my drinking partner in Ireland in September when it was all over to celebrate with me!
We decided to just take things easy in October.
Now in November we are back jiving and looking forward to December.
God knows what we will get up to in 2005???
Don't anyone try to knock this guy!!!!
Luv Chrissie

Divissima
11th-November-2004, 10:12 AM
I suspect that most people aren't too different in their reactions, but it is evident that visual art (I'll use that word now) can arouse much more passion in some others. Can this really be the same sort of intense passion that music can arouse? In my opinion, the answer is yes it can! But as you so rightly say, art, just like music, is such a subjective experience for the individual.

I have to say that I don't find music really arouses 'passion' in me - although I do love a good tune. I don't obsessively have background music on at all hours of the day or night in search of that perfect choon (not mentioning any names *cough*TwK*cough*). I find that I am always surprised by the art which touches me on a deep level. It isn't always representative art - I love the huge Rothko canvases at the Tate Modern and could just sit in that gallery for hours. It isn't always an emotional reaction. A friend took me to an exhibition of (controversial American sculptor) Carl Andre's work - which consisted of enormous 2-dimensional sculptures covering the floor of the gallery in all different metals and stones. I just wanted to take my shoes off and walk barefoot over them (alas not allowed). I don't know if 'passion' is the right word, but definitely a connection and fascination.

Chicklet
11th-November-2004, 10:26 AM
Can this really be the same sort of intense passion that music can arouse?

I believe not quite, because one can do things (dance is the obvious but there's another up there too :innocent: :innocent: ) WITH music...it's hard to do things WITH art.

BUT personal belief with no factual back up etc...

I like to believe that there is a piece or an artist or a genre out there for everybody...in much the same way as there are songs, musicians and musical styles..

The difference IMHO is that, as a rule, we are exposed to a much wider range and greater volume of music and as such are more likely to form stronger opinions and make our minds up....I believe that, in general, we just don't see, think about and discuss enough art to lead us to become as passionate about it as we could be.

NB "Art" for me also covers architecture, furniture, jewelry and other antiques roadshow fab finds and, bizarrely enough, fragrance!... :grin:

Whitebeard
11th-November-2004, 06:09 PM
1 ..... one can do things (dance is the obvious but there's another up there too) WITH music ....

2 ..... it's hard to do things WITH art.
1 And if you're very lucky you can MAKE music.

2 There is that tactile thing; even with pictures if allowed. The other forms of art you mention (with which I do agree) often lend themselves to be held and/or felt which can greatly add to the pleasure to gained from them.

Rather curiously, perhaps because you didn't think beyond man-made artifacts, you don't mention the many wonders of nature which stir in me far more pleasure and emotion than any man-made creation.

Chicklet
12th-November-2004, 11:06 AM
Rather curiously, perhaps because you didn't think beyond man-made artifacts, you don't mention the many wonders of nature which stir in me far more pleasure and emotion than any man-made creation.

ooooh you've made me think there, and I can honestly say that on the whole I'm a city girl and the wonders of nature really don't move me as much as the man made.....I'm sure that will be blasphemous to many but it's true, for me.

Now that's not to say that I don't appreciate geysers and sunsets and deserts and cliffs and flora and fauna etc, but the "how did they do that" or the "why did they do that" or the "how did they think of that" elements of the manmade hold more allure, in my little world (which is actually quite a big one, I've been lucky enough to travel quite a lot).

Eye of the beholder strikes again!

TiggsTours
9th-December-2005, 12:50 PM
Can we have a "Not quite what I'd call a genius, but do really like his work" option?

Icey
9th-December-2005, 01:31 PM
I remember watching The Antiques Greed Show last year (I think) and there was a lady with a painting that I instantly loved. It was an original that she had picked up in a charity shop for £10. I remember sitting with my parents and commenting that the style reminded me Jack Vettriano. Low and behold it as one of his but from the period before he changed his name to Vettriano which I believe is his mothers maiden name or family name from a previous generation.

Like everyone I'm very picky about what pictures I put on my walls. I require a painting to stop me in my tracks and grab 100% of my attention to be considered for my flat. This painting on the Antiques road show was like this, I wish I could get a print, it was glorious.

TiggsTours
9th-December-2005, 03:02 PM
I remember watching The Antiques Greed Show last year (I think) and there was a lady with a painting that I instantly loved. It was an original that she had picked up in a charity shop for £10. I remember sitting with my parents and commenting that the style reminded me Jack Vettriano. Low and behold it as one of his but from the period before he changed his name to Vettriano which I believe is his mothers maiden name or family name from a previous generation.

Like everyone I'm very picky about what pictures I put on my walls. I require a painting to stop me in my tracks and grab 100% of my attention to be considered for my flat. This painting on the Antiques road show was like this, I wish I could get a print, it was glorious.
I saw that one, it was great!