PDA

View Full Version : comparison to moves in the westcountry

Cornish Pixie
2nd-November-2004, 06:10 PM
Im actually a jiver from the westcountry and unaware of some of the beginner mves you talk about such as the shoulder drop
These are the beginner mves we are taught
Arm jive
Push Spin
shoulder slide
man spin
figure of eight
first move
yoyo
hatchback
comb
Sway
Catapult
octupus
wurlitzer
basket

Cd you give me the ones you are taught that im nt. Feel like im missing out!

Will
2nd-November-2004, 06:39 PM
I suspect that "The figure of 8" is what we call "The Pretzel". However, I could be wrong.

jiveoholic
2nd-November-2004, 07:07 PM
My understanding is that the figure of eight is simply the lady turning then the man then the lady, holding holding R-R hand. Most of the ones you mention are at http://www.jiveoholic.org.uk.

jockey
2nd-November-2004, 07:39 PM
AS I recall the 'figure of eight' begins man's left to ladies right; man man spins A/C letting go and picking up same ladies right hand with his right hand; man turns lady A/C. Where the man changes places the move is called the 'flying figure of eight'. The reason for the name is the man' s 'circle' is follwed by the ladies 'circle' and from bird's eye view looks like 8.Normally in practice it all ends up as a 'flying' one cos ladies are aalways moving and are going to end up the other side as one is turning anyway....

spindr
2nd-November-2004, 07:42 PM
Re: Figure of eight, for links and other descriptions see http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/FigureOfEightLinks.html

I think the Australians call it "I turn U turn".

SpinDr.

Lou
2nd-November-2004, 08:04 PM
I suspect that "The figure of 8" is what we call "The Pretzel". However, I could be wrong.

Yup - a Fig of 8 is definitely not a Pretzel! :grin: Jockey & Spindr have both given good descriptions of what it looks like.

Interesting set of moves.... looks like our Wurlitzer fan new friend isn't from Bristol.... is there anywhere else in the West Country?! :wink:

MartinHarper
2nd-November-2004, 11:28 PM
Normally in practice it all ends up as a 'flying' one cos ladies are always moving and are going to end up the other side as one is turning anyway....

I still have that problem, but I found that the excellent advice on this thread on leading moves without a change of places (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3592) helped a lot. I'm now down from 180° to about 45°.

The reason for the name is the man' s 'circle' is follwed by the ladies 'circle' and from bird's eye view looks like 8.

Interesting. One of my teachers said it was due to the motion of the hand: start waist height, move up to go over the guy's head, go back down to chest height, move up to go over the girl's head, and back down to waist height. One of us has been lied to - probably both. :)

Tiggerbabe
2nd-November-2004, 11:34 PM
Yup - a Fig of 8 is definitely not a Pretzel! :grin:
Octopus? And I'm sure Amir called it Ugo Igo when he was in Edinburgh - thank goodness for moves that can be led without verbal signals :whistle: :whistle:

Whitebeard
2nd-November-2004, 11:51 PM
Cd you give me the ones you are taught that im nt. Feel like im missing out!
These were all standard Ceroc beginners' moves (apart from the figure of eight picked up by the others) as I learned them; until some time earlier in the year, when quite significant changes were made.

A new list of 'Official' Ceroc beginners' moves, with brief description, can be found at:

http://www.cerockidderminster.co.uk/ceroc_beginners_moves.tpl

However, there might have been subsequent modifications to this list.

Why this list is not publicised and made more directly available to beginners, as an aid to present and future learning, I really do not know or understand. Is the Ceroc organisation really as professional as we are led (sic) to believe???

By the way, where can I hear a Wurlitzer weally wockin' ??

Whitebeard
3rd-November-2004, 12:15 AM
...... is there anywhere else in the West Country?!
Well, stretching it a bit, this area could be included. Certainly the local accent is more West Country than South Midland. Arghhh, quoite sort erv agricult'ral me butey !!

Lou
3rd-November-2004, 12:47 AM
Octopus?
Here's that sick squid I owe you. :sick: :blush:

Nope - An Octopus is a double handed move, where you definitely should travel to change places. A standard Figure of 8 should be static, and relies on a right to right hold (although it starts in a left to right hold for the first beat only, on beat two the man changes handhold as he starts to do his turn on the spot).

Tiggerbabe
3rd-November-2004, 09:38 AM
A standard Figure of 8 should be static, and relies on a right to right hold (although it starts in a left to right hold for the first beat only, on beat two the man changes handhold as he starts to do his turn on the spot).
Oh that one - that'll be the "figure of 8" then :blush: :whistle: :wink: :worthy:

Lou
3rd-November-2004, 10:14 AM
Oh that one - that'll be the "figure of 8" then :blush: :whistle: :wink: :worthy:
:rofl: Muppet! :flower:

btw... what language is this?

1.SB 2.SI taking RH to the R as you cup your partners R wrist w your LH 3.spin partner c/w 4.catch as you SB 5.SI to RT 6.SB
:what: :sick: :what: :rofl:

Cornish Pixie
3rd-November-2004, 01:03 PM
Interesting set of moves.... looks like our Wurlitzer fan new friend isn't from Bristol.... is there anywhere else in the West Country?! :wink:[/QUOTE]

Yep there is im from Cornwall. There is quite a few clubs in the area considering its reputation!

DavidY
3rd-November-2004, 11:54 PM
btw... what language is this?

1.SB 2.SI taking RH to the R as you cup your partners R wrist w your LH 3.spin partner c/w 4.catch as you SB 5.SI to RT 6.SB
Isn't it obvious? :wink:

Yogi_Bear
4th-November-2004, 12:25 AM
Yup - a Fig of 8 is definitely not a Pretzel! :grin: Jockey & Spindr have both given good descriptions of what it looks like.

Interesting set of moves.... looks like our Wurlitzer fan new friend isn't from Bristol.... is there anywhere else in the West Country?! :wink:
Well, when I learnt these moves we had:
The figure of eight, right handed move, man turns ACW then woman turns CW;
Left handed figure of eight, as above but left handed move.
Normally done without travelling - but could be.
Somewhat allied to this is the She goes, he goes, which I believe is a Lindy Hop move, similar to a travelling return but man turns ACW to finish.
Inrerested to see that the shoulder drop has now become a Ceroc beginner move - I think they have dropped the neck break.