PDA

View Full Version : Room 101

Sparkles
1st-November-2004, 11:39 PM
OK, it’s the end of a particularly long and frustrating Monday and so I had the idea for a new thread.
Please nominate, with reasons, annoying things that you’d like to relegate to ‘Room 101’ – then maybe we can have a vote and get rid of some of them!

Just to get the ball rolling I would like to nominate ‘builders’ (apologies to any nice builders on this forum :flower: ). The builders I particularly have in mind are the ones working in the building where I work. They seem to take forever to do anything and don’t care how much noise of dust they make, they’re rude and to have to sit all day listening to them constantly swearing, burping and f*rting is really testing my patience. And the worst bit is that to get into our lab we have to wear a hardhat and high-vis jacket and walk through their building site – and they take great pleasure in downing tools and making rude comments and laughing at us when we have to do this :angry: . To be rid of them would be bliss!

So come on, let’s hear it, who else has something they could really do with being rid of…?

Lynn
1st-November-2004, 11:47 PM
OK, it’s the end of a particularly long and frustrating Monday... :yeah:

So come on, let’s hear it, who else has something they could really do with being rid of…? Telesales calls! :angry: Mentioned this on another thread and then registered with the TPS but still get ones from overseas - 8:30am last Sat morning when I wanted a lie in! :angry: When I said she woke me up she didn't apologise, then when I said I don't buy things over the telephone she just said 'oh' and hung up! Grrrr! :angry: :angry:
(Can you tell I'm annoyed by this? :rofl: )

RobC
2nd-November-2004, 12:05 AM
Telesales calls! :angry: Mentioned this on another thread and then registered with the TPS but still get ones from overseas - 8:30am last Sat morning when I wanted a lie in! :angry: When I said she woke me up she didn't apologise, then when I said I don't buy things over the telephone she just said 'oh' and hung up! Grrrr! :angry: :angry:
(Can you tell I'm annoyed by this? :rofl: )
Motion seconded and carried :really:

The last one I got was gone 8pm while I was trying to eat supper. I turned the tables on them, cutting them off mid-sales pitch and started asking them for their personal details saying that I couldn't discuss my personal details with them without first confirming their identity. It was surprising how quickly they hung up on me muttering :wink:

ToeTrampler
2nd-November-2004, 12:14 AM
So come on, let’s hear it, who else has something they could really do with being rid of…?

That clear, moulded, clamshell, type plastic packaging that is used around children’s toys and various other gadgets. It is near impossible to prise apart and then leaves lethally sharp edges :mad: when you finally manage to break into it. Also after much tearing, cutting, biting (and swearing :blush: ) the packaging will the unexpectedly give way, thereby launching it’s precious contents halfway across the room :eek: . This stuff is the Deil’s work. :angry:

Please, please, please vote this horrible stuff into Room 101. :flower:

philsmove
2nd-November-2004, 12:22 AM
I would like to “the tunnel” in room 101 it’s a horrible move and should be banned

After that the BT open world :mad:

Who have to wait 14 days to disconnect me after I moved addressed and then, before they can reconnect me, at my new address, I have to wait another 14 days, even though I am keeping the same phone number :angry:

Sparkles
2nd-November-2004, 12:55 AM
Oh, and of course, women who wear the same colour dress as me to a party night and tread on my foot, cutting the skin, and don't even apologise! Grrrr :angry:
(Has everyone got the message that I'm annoyed about this yet? :flower: )

Lory
2nd-November-2004, 10:11 AM
OK, it’s the end of a particularly long and frustrating Monday and so I had the idea for a new thread. :yeah: I had one of those too! :sad:

Please nominate, with reasons, annoying things that you’d like to relegate to ‘Room 101’ – then maybe we can have a vote and get rid of some of them!

After a long and particularly frustrating day, spent at Moorfields eye hospital, with my daughter, I'd like to nominate the 'BLOCK APPOINTMENT SYSTEM!' :mad:

For over a year now we've been waiting to transfer from Great Ormond Street to Moorfields as Holly is now too old! :tears: Finally we got an appointment for 9am yesterday, but wait for it, so did 30 others, then after a routine check up with an ophthalmologist, who took down all the details, right from Holly's birth, we then had to wait till 10-30, till the consultant arrived and started his clinic! Low and behold, we shared our 10-30 time with another 30 people!

He offered Holly a revolutionary treatment, (don't read the rest of this paragraph if your squeamish) an injection which goes right through the eye, out the back and into the muscle behind, while she's awake!!!!!!!! :sick:

He said he could do it in the afternoon at 1-30! and guess what, when we arrived back, it appeared we were not the only ones with a 1-30pm appointment, OH NO, this time there were at least 40 of us!

After chatting with some people in the queue, who had been attending Moorfields for years, their only advise was, get used to it, this is normal! :tears:

For those who aren't squeamish, luckily I'm not, she had it done (whist holding on to my hand).....the word brave, just isn't good enough! :worthy: I can tell you, its also extremely nerve wracking just watching the 2" needle go in! :eek: :sick:

Lynn
2nd-November-2004, 11:22 AM
I turned the tables on them, cutting them off mid-sales pitch and started asking them for their personal details saying that I couldn't discuss my personal details with them without first confirming their identity. It was surprising how quickly they hung up on me muttering :wink: Just say right at the start 'I don't buy things over the telephone' then they don't even bother starting their sales pitch. Its not that I get annoyed listening to them, I get annoyed at them phoning people at home, interrupting their lives and families to try to sell something. :angry: IMO that's not what the telephone is for.

ChrisA
2nd-November-2004, 11:46 AM
For those who aren't squeamish, luckily I'm not, she had it done (whist holding on to my hand).....the word brave, just isn't good enough! :worthy: I can tell you, its also extremely nerve wracking just watching the 2" needle go in! :eek: :sick:

Have some rep for being able to watch at all :really: :cheers: :worthy:

Hope she's Ok? :hug:

Chris

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-November-2004, 11:52 AM
you should try "oh thats REALLY interesting, can you hang on a minute" and check the phone again 10 minutes later to see if they are still there.

Fi has an interesting story about builders..when her flat in Edinburgh was flooded from above and the ceiling in the kitchen and bathroom collapsed she had to move out for 8 months. Yes 8! This was due to having the kitchen refitted several times, one of the times they were "finished" and she came into the kitchen to notice the dishwasher door was down, so she tried to close it..and couldnt...cos they had fitted it right next to the oven and it was physically impossible to close it because of the fixed oven door handle. Then there was the fact that they continually used her phone and used her perfectly ok bedroom as a rubbish bin whilst they were there - so then that had to get redocarated too. Its a sore memory - dont bring it up :)

Can I put Glasgow Bus Drivers in room 101 ? They take any inch of road they can get even if thats in the middle of a box junction or all the way across a pedestrain crossing so that you cant cross and struggle to see if theres a green man or not!

Forte
2nd-November-2004, 01:04 PM
:yeah: I had one of those too! :sad:
After a long and particularly frustrating day, spent at Moorfields eye hospital, with my daughter, I'd like to nominate the 'BLOCK APPOINTMENT SYSTEM!' :mad:

For over a year now we've been waiting to transfer from Great Ormond Street to Moorfields as Holly is now too old! :tears: Finally we got an appointment for 9am yesterday, but wait for it, so did 30 others, then after a routine check up with an ophthalmologist, who took down all the details, right from Holly's birth, we then had to wait till 10-30, till the consultant arrived and started his clinic! Low and behold, we shared our 10-30 time with another 30 people!

He offered Holly a revolutionary treatment, (don't read the rest of this paragraph if your squeamish) an injection which goes right through the eye, out the back and into the muscle behind, while she's awake!!!!!!!! :sick:

He said he could do it in the afternoon at 1-30! and guess what, when we arrived back, it appeared we were not the only ones with a 1-30pm appointment, OH NO, this time there were at least 40 of us!

After chatting with some people in the queue, who had been attending Moorfields for years, their only advise was, get used to it, this is normal! :tears:

I need a hospital appointment after reading that! :tears: I feel faint! :flower:

drathzel
2nd-November-2004, 02:08 PM
That clear, moulded, clamshell, type plastic packaging that is used around children’s toys and various other gadgets. It is near impossible to prise apart and then leaves lethally sharp edges :mad: when you finally manage to break into it. Also after much tearing, cutting, biting (and swearing :blush: ) the packaging will the unexpectedly give way, thereby launching it’s precious contents halfway across the room :eek: . This stuff is the Deil’s work. :angry:

Please, please, please vote this horrible stuff into Room 101. :flower:

I agree, its room 101 for Moulded plastic packaging!

Rougeforever
2nd-November-2004, 02:35 PM
I'd like to nominate Virgin Trains. They make my life hell on a regular basis on my commute from Birmingham to London.

I think my favourite journey was three weeks ago where they made us all get off at Milton Keynes, transfer onto a Silverlink where I then had to STAND for 3 HOURS while it limped into London. My journey to work that morning took 5 hours in total. (oh no, but it's fine, because I only pay £900 a month for my season ticket)
:eek:

No really. Please send them straight there. Now.

(of course this may mean that I can't get home tonight, but I'll take that chance)

Dan Hudson
2nd-November-2004, 02:50 PM
Many many things...

1.black trousers- white pants :really:
2.white top - black bra :what:
3.Tuna pasta
4.Bus drivers who gridlocked my journey into london yesterday 11 miles took 3 1/2 hrs!!! :angry: :angry:
5. political correctness :confused:

Sheepman
2nd-November-2004, 03:08 PM
My nomination for room 101 would be impatience. In our "I want it NOW" society, would life just be that be simpler if everyone had patience? Isn't it possible to just accept what fate throws at you?

I'm reminded in particular of a journey to Stansted airport by coach a few years ago. The M25/M11 was closed, the jams were everywhere, and the driver was having to make long and complicated detours. You could feel the tension and nervous energy in the coach continually rising, as we got later and later. My view was, "There's nothing I can do about it, we either get there in time for the flight, or we don't, I'll deal with it when it happens." Of course I couldn't chat to anyone calmly, because none of them was calm. And as it happens, we arrived at the check in, with a whole 30 seconds to spare!

to sit all day listening to them constantly swearing, burping and f*rting is really testing my patience. You'd better not spend a day with me then! :blush: :rofl:
Testing your patience is fine, just don't lose it!

And of course, anyone who smokes within 50 yards of me has to go in!

Greg

ChrisA
2nd-November-2004, 03:41 PM
My nomination for room 101 would be impatience. In our "I want it NOW" society, would life just be that be simpler if everyone had patience?
Absolutely. Impatient people drive me ballistic, instantly...

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-November-2004, 03:49 PM
Absolutely. Impatient people drive me ballistic, instantly...
:D very good....

Dan Hudson would hate me...my favourite food is Tuna Pasta :)

Stuart M
2nd-November-2004, 04:02 PM
:D very good....

Dan Hudson would hate me...my favourite food is Tuna Pasta :)
He'd half-hate me. I wear black trousers and white tops all the time.

Rhythm King
2nd-November-2004, 04:24 PM
Oh, and of course, women who wear the same colour dress as me to a party night and tread on my foot, cutting the skin, and don't even apologise! Grrrr :angry:
(Has everyone got the message that I'm annoyed about this yet? :flower: )

Especially if they do it more than once!! On a crowded dance floor, some accidents are inevitable, but a sincere apology costs nothing (or at least an acknowledgement and a wave). Some people seem to be totally oblivious to other dancers and the injuries they're causing to them. I'm normally situationally aware on the dance floor, but it's getting to the point where perhaps one night I'll forget to look when I step back and see how she likes it... (Of course if I was like Andy McGregor, the effect of my hephalump frame in stillettoes standing on her would provide the woman with a duelling scar a Heidelberg student would be proud of, albeit on her foot - rather like what she's done to poor Sparkles actually).

Meanwhile, I hate the new London bendy buses. They take up two and a half times the road space of a double decker, so two, or three in a row are an instant rolling chicane. The drivers seem to think that the Highway Code paragraph on letting the bus go first is a God-given right to pull out of junctions, or away from bus stops, without any consideration for other traffic and they seem to have a standing instruction to pull on to yellow box junctions just as the traffic lights change. I also have anecdotal evidence that, because one is supposed to buy a ticket before boarding, that a significant number of passengers simply get on using the middle and rear doors and dodge the fares. They were originally going to be introduced on certain routes with low bridges, where double-deckers couldn't be used, but are now the replacement for the venerable old Routemasters.

Grumpy old R-K

Gadget
2nd-November-2004, 04:30 PM
2.white top - black bra :what:
Funnily enough I have no problem with this. :innocent:

Actually there is only one thing I would submit to 101: Sensless destruction. specifically of creative artworks. Almost everything else I can endure and have endless patience for.
Perhaps you have to appreciate art to see exactly why this irks me. It's not so much the destruction of material objects, but the erasing of all the thought, ideas, and hard work that went into creating it in the first place. :mad:

...Make that two things - spine benders. People who read books by folding them in half backwards. I know it's only a book, but by reading it like this you are commiting it to an early grave and not giving anyone else the pleasure of it's contents. :mad:

Lynn
2nd-November-2004, 04:42 PM
Meanwhile, I hate the new London bendy buses. We used to have these in Belfast on some of the busier routes about 10 years ago - but no double deckers. Gone back to the double deckers now - maybe too many people were getting on at the middle!

drathzel
2nd-November-2004, 05:57 PM
We used to have these in Belfast on some of the busier routes about 10 years ago - but no double deckers. Gone back to the double deckers now - maybe too many people were getting on at the middle!
I think the bendy buses are really scary, especially when you are turning the corner the other way and you think they are going to swing into you, Glasgow has loads of those buses!!!! :which is the scared smiley:

Gojive
2nd-November-2004, 06:32 PM
There are many things I'd ditch into room 101, but one comes to mind instantly while catching up with today's threads.....

Internet forum pendants!! :angry: - I see no point whatsoever in correcting people's posts (other than trying to appear clever), and if this was done to me as constantly in real life, I'd just walk away.

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-November-2004, 06:44 PM
Internet forum pendants!! :angry: - I see no point whatsoever in correcting people's posts (other than trying..blahblah blah

Did you perhaps mean pedants :)

....you did that on purpose didn't you :) surely posts like that don't happen just by chance :)

Gojive
2nd-November-2004, 06:48 PM
Did you perhaps mean pedants :)

....you did that on purpose didn't you :) surely posts like that don't happen just by chance :)

:wink:

Sparkles
2nd-November-2004, 07:46 PM
I think the bendy buses are really scary...

...especially the ones in London which, earlier in the year, were spontaneously bursting into flame :really: (if I have time I'll look up the headlines later on).
Not only are they a complete menace on the roads, they go over the pavements when they go around corners (and so are dangerous to pedestrians) and they also appear to 'self-destruct'! :eek:

Stuart
2nd-November-2004, 08:14 PM
Just say right at the start 'I don't buy things over the telephone' then they don't even bother starting their sales pitch. Its not that I get annoyed listening to them, I get annoyed at them phoning people at home, interrupting their lives and families to try to sell something. :angry: IMO that's not what the telephone is for.

I agree with consigning telemarketing phonecalls to Room 101. One way I deal with this is to keep asking them where they got my details from, especially the ones who claim that I completed a survey (I never do). I found the enclosed piece which contains some other hints for getting rid of them:

http://www.bankrate.com/nsc/news/advice/20031107a1.asp

I would also like to consign lorry drivers (apologies to any responsible ones out there), especially the ones who feel they have to overtake another lorry on a dual carriageway while going 5mph faster. Also that BMW driver on the M4 today who pulled across three lanes of traffic while talking on his mobile phone and nearly ploughed into me in the process.

Dance Demon
3rd-November-2004, 12:37 AM
Fab thread..........Room 101 eh?.......
Call on Me by eric Prydz........in you go... :D :D

Lynn
3rd-November-2004, 12:42 AM
Call on Me by eric Prydz........in you go... :D :D :really: :rofl: We'll have Trampy putting The Mavericks DTNA in next... :wink:

Sparkles
3rd-November-2004, 01:32 AM
:really: :rofl: We'll have Trampy putting The Mavericks DTNA in next... :wink:
If he doesn't, I will :wink:
But let's not let this thread deteriorate into that again... :rolleyes:

under par
3rd-November-2004, 02:41 AM
Call on Me by eric Prydz........in you go... :D :D

I'l second and third that motion.............. :clap: goodbye :yeah:

TheTramp
3rd-November-2004, 03:10 AM
:really: :rofl: We'll have Trampy putting The Mavericks DTNA in next... :wink:
I always do what Lynn tells me, don'cha know....

Bye Bye Mavericks!! :rofl: :clap: :cheers:

Trampy

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 09:40 AM
Mavericks and eric to go!!!!

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 11:31 AM
People with their priorities wrong.....

I worked in a supermarket when I was wee and have a particular memory of a girl of 20ish who came up to the counter with her 4ish year old son who had a snotty, scabby nose and unwashed face, smelled bad and whose trousers did not meet his shoes by about 4 inches.

She bought 40 cigarettes and a bottle of own brand vodka for a total of about £12 at the time.

So far so bad, but we actually had the local bobby waiting outside because we had seen her lift a packet of (89p) sausages.

Her "excuse" was that she couldn't afford to feed the boy so had to steal.
(no the other items were not for someone else)

(It's a small town and this wasn't as harsh as you might think, he just gave her a talking to and called her social worker to give her another talking to)

sad eh?

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 01:06 PM
People with their priorities wrong.....

I worked in a supermarket when I was wee and have a particular memory of a girl of 20ish who came up to the counter with her 4ish year old son who had a snotty, scabby nose and unwashed face, smelled bad and whose trousers did not meet his shoes by about 4 inches.

She bought 40 cigarettes and a bottle of own brand vodka for a total of about £12 at the time.

So far so bad, but we actually had the local bobby waiting outside because we had seen her lift a packet of (89p) sausages.

Her "excuse" was that she couldn't afford to feed the boy so had to steal.
(no the other items were not for someone else)

(It's a small town and this wasn't as harsh as you might think, he just gave her a talking to and called her social worker to give her another talking to)

sad eh?

It really is sad! I live in paisley and its pretty much the same here, except for they dont just get a talking to!

Because of this thread i started to read 1984 again, and last night i was having all sorts of wierd dreams, including microchipping people!

:what:

Divissima
3rd-November-2004, 01:19 PM
Mavericks and eric to go!!!!I object. Save the Mavericks!!

Eric can go, though :D

ElaineB
3rd-November-2004, 01:56 PM
I have a huge list - I must be a stressed out person........ :D

Anyway, a new one - people who go into restaurants to sell things to the unsuspecting diners. Especially flowers! I start getting really edgy and inform my partner not to buy anything as soon as I spot them bearing down on us with a bucket of false roses!

Oh yes, and people who come round to the table playing instruments and singing - or at least can't! Happened to me in Italy and we gave them money - to go away!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

PS - BMW drivers are just like that - it's in their genes, but not a lot else (sorry any of you who have one, but had the operation to be like normal people!)

Bardsey
3rd-November-2004, 04:19 PM
I turned the tables on them, cutting them off mid-sales pitch and started asking them for their personal details saying that I couldn't discuss my personal details with them without first confirming their identity. It was surprising how quickly they hung up on me muttering :wink:

I love that idea! I'm definitely gonna try THAT one out! :clap: :worthy:

Bardsey
3rd-November-2004, 04:41 PM
I have a huge list - I must be a stressed out person........ :D

Anyway, a new one - people who go into restaurants to sell things to the unsuspecting diners. Especially flowers! I start getting really edgy and inform my partner not to buy anything as soon as I spot them bearing down on us with a bucket of false roses!

Oh yes, and people who come round to the table playing instruments and singing - or at least can't! Happened to me in Italy and we gave them money - to go away!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Elaine

PS - BMW drivers are just like that - it's in their genes, but not a lot else (sorry any of you who have one, but had the operation to be like normal people!)
Talking of BMW drivers, there is a woman who insists, despite being asked several times, notes on her car etc, on parking in our yard at work. 2 weeks ago I was out there when she came back to her car, I said "I've asked you repeatedly not to park in our car park, it doesn't belong to the school" She said, very cockily, "Well, I just can't do what I'm told, can I?" I replied "That's probably cos you're thick!" She flounced into her car and away. Next day, my new car had a key scratch down the side!

Yesterday, there she was again! So, I put a note on her car saying "This is NOT a school car park!" Minutes later I went back out and the note was gone, but the car was still there. So, in a moment of anger, I drove my car behind hers and straight across our car park entrance. She came flying round minutes later having picked her small son up from school, shouting like a fishwife "Move that car this minute or I'll crash mine into it!" I just smiled and said "Nope". She then said "I'm going to the post office" (cheeky b*tch!) "if its still there when I get back I'll crash into it" She is shouting all the while, whilst I am perfectly calm (don't they just HATE that?) I said "Please yourself, I'm not moving it" About 10 minutes later I went out and the cheeky cow had PUSHED by car forward somehow (had to have done, cos it was nearer the fence and I left no room for escape) and driven off, but not before gouging another scratch down my rear passenger door. Needless to say, this time I have called the police, who should be here today to take my statement! Grrrrrrr! Fishwife-type thirty-something, nothing better to do than harrass people, BMW drivers.........(pulls lever) bye, bye !!!!

Dance Demon
3rd-November-2004, 06:02 PM

Erm....Chicklet.........you still driving that nice red BMW then?.....:wink: :D

Chicklet
3rd-November-2004, 06:06 PM
aye, and since I went on that course I can do handbreak turns in school 20 zones without dropping the phone or smudging the lippy!! :clap:

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 06:39 PM
aye, and since I went on that course I can do handbreak turns in school 20 zones without dropping the phone or smudging the lippy!! :clap:

respect! :hug:

drathzel
3rd-November-2004, 06:48 PM
Neds, put neds in room 101, oh and for those who dont know what neds are see...... www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk its the funniest thing. I also advise all scottish people who aren't neds and want a laugh to look too!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bardsey
4th-November-2004, 12:26 PM

My God! I'm SO impressed! I drop my phone EVERY time!!!!! :D

baldrick
6th-November-2004, 02:54 AM
I'll go for white van drivers. I should know, ever scince I got one I have these overwheling urges to pull out without signaling and them shout sexist abuse at the nearest female driver. :eek:
Oddly though I like driving at the speed limt to annoy the BMW behind :wink:

drathzel
6th-November-2004, 12:53 PM
I'll go for white van drivers. I should know, ever scince I got one I have these overwheling urges to pull out without signaling and them shout sexist abuse at the nearest female driver. :eek:
Oddly though I like driving at the speed limt to annoy the BMW behind :wink:
:yeah: I do that and i only drive a bronze saxo

fletch
19th-November-2007, 06:07 PM
People that pretend to be one thing and are really another :angry:

straycat
19th-November-2007, 06:10 PM
People that pretend to be one thing and are really another :angry:

Doesn't (almost) everyone do that to some degree or other?

fletch
19th-November-2007, 06:29 PM
Doesn't (almost) everyone do that to some degree or other?

yes!

some are better than others a t doing it.

apparently to men I look like high maintenance with high expectations, how wrong you can be. :flower:

Double Trouble
19th-November-2007, 08:05 PM
apparently to men I look like high maintenance with high expectations, how wrong you can be. :flower:

Isn't it weird how they get it so wrong. Some people think I'm lovely.:devil::innocent::na:

Gav
20th-November-2007, 09:24 AM
Isn't it weird how they get it so wrong. Some people think I'm lovely.:devil::innocent::na:

:really: :rolleyes: :whistle::devil: :flower:

fletch
20th-November-2007, 10:20 AM

I havn't heard that one :confused:

:D :flower:

David Bailey
20th-November-2007, 10:22 AM
Some people think the Earth is flat, Diana was killed by MI-5 and the Moon Landings were faked. Usually the same people, in fact... :devil:

fletch
20th-November-2007, 11:53 AM
Some people think the Earth is flat, Diana was killed by MI-5 and the Moon Landings were faked. Usually the same people, in fact... :devil:

bit of a sweeping statement DJ :rolleyes:

do you have any evidence :na:

David Bailey
20th-November-2007, 12:37 PM
bit of a sweeping statement DJ :rolleyes:

do you have any evidence :na:
No - but as that never stops conspiracy nutters, why should I let it stop me?

In fact, I reckon there's a Global Conspiracy to promote conspiracies...