PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations around Gatwick?

Gus
29th-October-2004, 10:51 AM
One of the lasses from our club is having to move 'darn sarf' with her job ... real shame 'cause she's really friendly, loves the dancing and is gorgeous :drool: ... good job she's only early 20's or I could get seriously distracted :blush: ANYWAY ... she'll be based in the Gatwick area ... what clubs are there in hitting distance ... especialy those with a younger age profile so she can dance with lads more her own age? Is Ceroc Croydon still a buzzing night?

TheTramp
29th-October-2004, 11:18 AM
One of the lasses from our club is having to move 'darn sarf' with her job ... real shame 'cause she's really friendly, loves the dancing and is gorgeous :drool: ... good job she's only early 20's or I could get seriously distracted :blush: ANYWAY ... she'll be based in the Gatwick area ... what clubs are there in hitting distance ... especialy those with a younger age profile so she can dance with lads more her own age? Is Ceroc Croydon still a buzzing night?
Does she have a car??

The closest venue to Gatwick is Crawley on a Friday night. It wasn't a bad night - bit crowded, but a few decent dancers.

She could get down to Brighton easily - much easier than getting into London usually. There's Mr. McGregors event on a Thursday, and I believe he's starting a new night on Mondays.

Guildford (Monday - Ceroc, Wednesday - Rebel Roc) isn't that far away from Gatwick either - and again doesn't involve dealing with London traffic.

The south London venues are Croydon (Tuesday) and Bromley (Thursday). Croydon had gotten a little quieter I'd heard. Bromley has always been a busy night though.

Or finally, a trip around the M25, and there's that Hipsters place on a Tuesday. I believe a few people go there :devil:

That should be enough to get her started. And by then, she'll know some people, and have the up-to-date information....

Trampy

Almost an Angel
29th-October-2004, 12:37 PM

I'd say Fleet on a Thursday although it is a bit of a trek (1hr) but has the benefit of Adam and Taz :worthy: and the really funky stuff they get up to. Matches up with the younger age group stuff - lots of 20-somethings +. :D

Closer there's always Godalming on a Sunday, I'd recommend Surbiton on a Wednesday (I can occasionally be found there) :innocent: , as Trampy says Guildford on a Monday, there's a new venue opened in Caterham on a Thursday if she doesn't want the trek.

A bit further afield there is always Mr MacGregors lovely event at Shoreham on a Thursday - Viktor at Brighton on Fridays :drool:

If she wants someone to meet up with down here PM me as I can usually be found dancing aound the area.

Angel 0:o)

Andy McGregor
29th-October-2004, 02:16 PM
The following are within 30 mins of Gatwick;

Mondays - Haywards Heath, Clare Hall, Rebel Roc. Newish venue, mixed ages, even balance. Brighton (my new night) at Circus Circus in Brighton.

Tuesdays - Croydon Ceroc. Established venue. Fairly young age profile (but still some old gits like me!). Dorking LeRoc, Busy venue, slightly older dancers but not all old gits.

Wednesdays - Horsham Ceroc (this is actually Broadbridge Heath Village Centre and very near to Horsham Tesco). Age profile, mostly 20-40 but again some oldsters.

Thursdays - Shoreham (my night). All ages from 16 to 87!! I only found this out last night. I thought Don, our part-time shepherd of 84, was the oldest until this lady who looks about 60ish owned up to MinnieM. We also have a group of funky 6th formers who balance out this older element nicely - plus all ages in between.

Fridays - Hove, The King Alfred. Viktor teaches, slightly older average but still plenty of younger dancers. Crawley, Rebel Roc. Younger age group, busy night. Katie is very friendly with everyone.

If this young lady was going to go to only one night and wanted to mix with a lot of people in their 20s I would recommend Horsham on Wednesdays first and Crawley on Fridays or Croydon on Tuesdays as an alternative. BUT she really wouldn't feel out of place at any of the venues I've recommended.

Minnie M
29th-October-2004, 02:27 PM
........ until this lady who looks about 60ish owned up to MinnieM..........

Chinese whispers Andy :blush: she is 78 - although I must admit she didn't look older than 65 :really: - she said she is still a working nurse - amazing :worthy:

What about something a little different :-

Monday Nights - JANGO at Kent House, Hammersmith - 8pm, class with freestyle - Class by Amir Giles.

PM Divissima for details

I don't think it would take too long to get to from Heathrow area

TheTramp
29th-October-2004, 02:29 PM
I don't think it would take too long to get to from Heathrow area
Ummm. Pssst. Minnie. This one is Gatwick. It's the other one that was Heathrow....

The following are within 30 mins of Gatwick;
Guildford is 33 miles from Gatwick, and it's all motorway, so shouldn't take much more than 30 mins. What are they like these days Andy?

Trampy

Minnie M
29th-October-2004, 02:36 PM
Ummm. Pssst. Minnie. This one is Gatwick. It's the other one that was Heathrow....

woops ... :blush: senior moment, so many posts to read :really:

stewart38
29th-October-2004, 04:12 PM

Guildford is 33 miles from Gatwick, and it's all motorway, so shouldn't take much more than 30 mins. What are they like these days Andy?

Trampy

The Motor Way is called the 'M25' a lovely car free thing we have down south

On serious note even at 8pm its a bit risky to assume its going to take 30mins. If there is an accident you could be talking an hr plus but it can be done when accident free after 8pm at 6pm forget it

Traffic is usually ok going into london if you want to use M4 to get to Hammersmith. Woking have rebel roc on monday ?

Andy McGregor
29th-October-2004, 05:01 PM

Trampy

I've not been to Guildford Ceroc on a Monday for ages. Last time I went it was packed with Hotshot dancers who were too sexy for their shirts. There was even a them and us thing going on afterwards in the pub over the road :angry:

And I've not been to Guildford on a Wednesday since it moved from Guildford Civic. I've heard mixed reports, some like it some don't; it might be worth a look if Horsham Ceroc on a Wednesday doesn't measure up.