PDA

View Full Version : Christmas is coming!

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 12:14 PM
As not doubt most of you have been aware since Easter, Christmas is on it's way!

Just wondered what your worst and best Christmas presents have been (that is given to you!)? Also what present would you really, really like to receive? (No Miss World type answers please!)

The worst present that I received was a gold lame tissue box cover, hand crocheted by an Aunt. I opened it in front of her and had to feign delight....... :rofl:

The best one was being asked to marry someone! (Didn't work out though!).

As for what I would really like............need a very long list!

Elaine

drathzel
28th-October-2004, 12:40 PM
Franck has started playing christmas tunes already!!!

My worst present? i can't think of any really bad ones, apart from recieving things you really wouldn't use! However i could consider my car to be mine as i paid for it! As i was under 18 the account was in my parents name and i ahd saved money for a car, my parents withdrew the money and went and bought a car that they like for me and gave me it on christmas day!

My best present? Would be my strawberry shortcake doll, although i got it for my 21st birthday.

All my friends and family are really good present pickers!

Jingle bells jingle bells, jingle all the way!!!

:hug:

Bigger Andy
28th-October-2004, 12:46 PM
Bah, humbug !!!

drathzel
28th-October-2004, 12:47 PM
Bah, humbug !!!

go away scrooge!

Father Christmas
28th-October-2004, 01:22 PM
Father Christmas is on his way!

True :waycool:

And what would you like for Christmas, little girl? :devil:

Bah, humbug !!!

You know you love me :hug:

Don't fight it, just enjoy every moment of the festivities - try to recapture how Christmas felt when you were a child. Christmas is still there for you and it's all still the same as it has always been - if you'll just open your heart to it :flower:

Bigger Andy
28th-October-2004, 01:28 PM
Don't fight it, just enjoy every moment of the festivities - try to recapture how Christmas felt when you were a child. Christmas is still there for you and it's all still the same as it has always been - if you'll just open your heart to it :flower:

Christmas is OK - at Christmas !
NOT two months early !

Gojive
28th-October-2004, 01:33 PM
The worst present that I received was a gold lame tissue box cover, hand crocheted by an Aunt. I opened it in front of her and had to feign delight.......

That's a Xmas present not to be sneezed at IMO! :wink:

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 01:37 PM
NOT two months early !

No, it has been around since Easter - I kid you not! And after Halloween, it will be Valentines day. I received next years booking forms from a holiday company in October! Don't forget that Easter eggs will be rolled out just after the January sales - that is also the time that all the winter clothes are sold off and summer clothes are in, which incidentally are sold off in the June sales to make way for winter woolies! :whistle:

Anyway, thank you Father Christmas for responding so quickly to my post and offering the reindeer of friendship to Bigger Andy - I am sure that he will melt! :rofl:

As for what I would like, I will put my list up the chimney as usual - the media may think that the Pope has died when they see the smoke! :rofl: Do I have to sit on your knee... :whistle:

Elaine

Graham
28th-October-2004, 01:40 PM
When I was a young boy I went through a phase of being really keen on Action Man toys. My grandmother was told this but used to buy the rather cheap and shoddy imitation merchandise instead of the real thing :tears: Of course, like ElaineB, I had to open these presents in front of her and pretend to be pleased. :what:

My dream present would be a course of flying lessons.

Chicklet
28th-October-2004, 01:50 PM
- the media may think that the Pope has died when they see the smoke! :rofl:
Elaine

HI Elaine, I have been trying and trying to figure out what this means and I'm stumped, this is a phrase I have never heard before and am most intrigued, can you expand? (I know it's probably something really obvious and I'm justbeing dumb! :blush: )

many thanks
C

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 02:05 PM
HI Elaine, I have been trying and trying to figure out what this means and I'm stumped, this is a phrase I have never heard before and am most intrigued, can you expand? (I know it's probably something really obvious and I'm justbeing dumb! :blush: )

many thanks
C

Isn't Ask Jeeves a handy tool! Just found this long explanation!

This is the bit after the Pope has died and expands on how a new Pope is chosen!

'The Cardinals all take seats around the wall of the Sistine Chapel and take a ballot paper on which is written "Eligo in suumum pontificem" -- "I elect as supreme Pontiff...". They then write a name on it, fold it, and then proceed one by one to approach the altar, where a chalice stands with a paten on it. They hold up their ballot high to show that they have voted, then place it on the paten, and then slides it into the chalice. The votes are then counted by the Cardinal Camerlengo and his three assistants. Each assistant reads the name, reads the name aloud, writes it down on a tally sheet and then passes it to the next assistant. The third assistance runs a needle and thread through the centre of each ballot to join them all together. The ballots are then burned, as well as all notes made. If a new Pope has been elected, the papers are burned with to give white smoke. Otherwise, they give off black smoke, so that the waiting crowds, and the world, know whether their new Holy Father will soon emerge from the Sistine Chapel. '

Hope that helps! :flower:

Elaine

Chicklet
28th-October-2004, 02:17 PM
superb!

and you must have know than inside out in order to use it in everyday postings!! :D

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 02:22 PM
superb!

and you must have know than inside out in order to use it in everyday postings!! :D

Nope! Just bizarre things tend to stick in the memory banks!!!

Elaine

Graham
28th-October-2004, 03:08 PM
I know it's probably something really obvious and I'm justbeing dumb! :blush:
It's understandable that you were unfamiliar with the procedure - you were, after all, a mere babe in arms last time it happened, were you not? :wink:

Stuart
28th-October-2004, 04:09 PM
I saw something in Tescos last Saturday that made me laugh:

"Tesco Christmas Mince Pies, Best Before 15 November 2004"!

Gojive
28th-October-2004, 04:26 PM
I saw something in Tescos last Saturday that made me laugh:

"Tesco Christmas Mince Pies, Best Before 15 November 2004"!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sparkles
28th-October-2004, 06:51 PM
I think the worst Christmas present I ever got was from my Aunty, she sent me red and green tartan tights when I was 14 :sick: and I was SO glad she wasn't there to see me open them!

I've had so many great Christmas presents it's be difficult to pick a best one, but one that I never thought would be great but has turned out to be is 'Gone With the Wind' - what an amazing book!

The problem is that my Birthday is so close to Chirstmas that I often get 'joint' presents :tears: - very upsetting because I bet that never happens to people born in July?!

baldrick
28th-October-2004, 07:10 PM
The problem is that my Birthday is so close to Chirstmas that I often get 'joint' presents :tears: - very upsetting because I bet that never happens to people born in July?!
:yeah:
Noone is even supposed to think about Xmas till after my birthday. Mind you my Dad was born on christmass day. Thats tough to live with.

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 07:18 PM
Hi Bladrick,

Just went onto your profile to see what time of year your birthday is (presume around Christmas) and um, well, errrr, the photo of you is a bit disconcerting to say the least! When I opened the profile, your head was above the page, but staring straight at me was......... I'll let the others look to see what I mean! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have given you some rep points because of it! :rofl:

Elaine

baldrick
28th-October-2004, 07:27 PM
Hi Bladrick,

Just went onto your profile to see what time of year your birthday is (presume around Christmas) and um, well, errrr, the photo of you is a bit disconcerting to say the least! When I opened the profile, your head was above the page, but staring straight at me was......... I'll let the others look to see what I mean! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Have given you some rep points because of it! :rofl:

Elaine
Just on the off chance anybody cares. It was taken from the beach in Aberystwyth, while I was sitting on the railings on the prom.

ElaineB
28th-October-2004, 07:40 PM
Just on the off chance anybody cares. It was taken from the beach in Aberystwyth, while I was sitting on the railings on the prom.

Of course we care! :flower:

Elaine

drathzel
29th-October-2004, 08:45 AM
When I was a young boy I went through a phase of being really keen on Action Man toys. My grandmother was told this but used to buy the rather cheap and shoddy imitation merchandise instead of the real thing :tears: Of course, like ElaineB, I had to open these presents in front of her and pretend to be pleased. :what:

note the hint hint :wink: there

Lynn
29th-October-2004, 09:21 AM
Hmm, not so good gifts... (IMO a gift given with love is never 'bad' - as no matter how much they aren't to my taste its still lovely that someone has taken the time to select them and sit and wrap them to give to me :hug: ) ...probably the odd item of clothing from older aunts that are rather 'unfashionable' - I keep it for a decent interval of time and then pass on to the charity shop (someone else might think its lovely).

Got a great gift last year from my parents - a week of 'winter sun' holiday! :waycool:

Don't like getting things that I don't need/want - it seems to me to be such a waste of money. Would quite like a certain pair of dance shoes (a girl can never have enough! :wink: ) so I'll be dropping hints about those!

Graham
29th-October-2004, 11:29 AM
note the hint hint :wink: there
:really: I honestly wasn't expecting anything so extravagant from you, Danielle - a less expensive gift will be just as welcome. :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2004, 12:14 PM
:really: I honestly wasn't expecting anything so extravagant from you, Danielle - a less expensive gift will be just as welcome. :wink:
she may have been about to give you an A4 sheet of paper to fold into a plane :)

Stuart M
29th-October-2004, 12:41 PM
When I was a young boy I went through a phase of being really keen on Action Man toys.
Wow! Ones with a Boer War uniform must be worth a fortune now!

But then, I can remember getting a Raleigh Chopper bike one Christmas so who am I to talk...
Great bike to learn on: that huge gap between the handlebars meant falling forward off it was never dangerous - unless you caught yourself on the gear change lever along the way :tears:

:D

Graham
29th-October-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow! Ones with a Boer War uniform must be worth a fortune now!
I know! I'm kicking myself that I didn't keep the original packaging!

jivecat
29th-October-2004, 01:48 PM
NOT two months early !

:yeah: :yeah:

jivecat
29th-October-2004, 01:55 PM
'The Cardinals all take seats around the wall of the Sistine Chapel and take a ballot paper on which is written "Eligo in suumum pontificem" -- "I elect as supreme Pontiff...". They then write a name on it, fold it, and then proceed one by one to approach the altar, where a chalice stands with a paten on it. They hold up their ballot high to show that they have voted, then place it on the paten, and then slides it into the chalice. The votes are then counted by the Cardinal Camerlengo and his three assistants. Each assistant reads the name, reads the name aloud, writes it down on a tally sheet and then passes it to the next assistant. The third assistance runs a needle and thread through the centre of each ballot to join them all together. The ballots are then burned, as well as all notes made. If a new Pope has been elected, the papers are burned with to give white smoke. Otherwise, they give off black smoke, so that the waiting crowds, and the world, know whether their new Holy Father will soon emerge from the Sistine Chapel. '

Hope that helps! :flower:

Elaine

Well, a bit. But who is Cardinal Camerlengo? And what's a paten?

TheTramp
29th-October-2004, 01:56 PM
Okie. Here you go... Don't say I don't ever give you anything.

Step 1: Find a nice big cliff. There's a few on the east side of Scotland, though I really do suggest that big (in this case) is definitely better. Maybe a trip to the Grand Canyon??

Step 2: Stand well back.

Step 3: Possibly close your eyes

Step 4: Run very fast towards the edge of the cliff

Step 5: Flap your arms very fast indeed

Step 6: As you reach the edge of said cliff, jump forward, and lean forward.

Step 7: Don' forget at this point to keep flapping your arms.

Hey presto, you're flying. At least, for the square root of (2*the height of the cliff (in metres) divided by 9.8) seconds (if my memory hasn't failed me).

Trampy

Aleks
29th-October-2004, 02:08 PM
Well, a bit. But who is Cardinal Camerlengo? And what's a paten?

If my memory serves me well, it's a silver plate. They put their ballot on it before it is tipped into the pot containing all votes. It was designed to avoid cheats adding extra votes from up their sleeves.

I suggest you read Angels & Demons......it's a great novel which also contains a huge amount of info about this stuff.

TheTramp
29th-October-2004, 02:17 PM
I suggest you read Angels & Demons......it's a great novel which also contains a huge amount of info about this stuff.
By Dan Brown. I have a copy if anyone wants to borrow it...

Trampy

Aleks
29th-October-2004, 02:20 PM
By Dan Brown. I have a copy if anyone wants to borrow it...

Trampy

In an attempt to bring this thread back on topic......you could add it to your Christmas list!

Graham
29th-October-2004, 02:24 PM
Okie. Here you go... Don't say I don't ever give you anything.
Thanks! That's brilliant! :grin: Only thing is, I'm not very good at visualisation, so can you just show me what you mean? :waycool:

TheTramp
29th-October-2004, 02:28 PM
Thanks! That's brilliant! :grin: Only thing is, I'm not very good at visualisation, so can you just show me what you mean? :waycool:
Nah. You're intelligent (allegedly). I'm sure that you'll be able to work it out. Wendy will almost certainly give you a hand too. And a push. :whistle:

Trampy

jivecat
29th-October-2004, 03:50 PM

Thanks. It sounds like the sort of stuff I might enjoy. (I'll take you up on the offer of a lend, Trampy) Bound to be topical sometime soon, too. :sick:

Still, anything to get off the topic of C********, thread or no thread. :innocent:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2004, 04:05 PM
Thanks. It sounds like the sort of stuff I might enjoy. (I'll take you up on the offer of a lend, Trampy) Bound to be topical sometime soon, too. :sick:

Still, anything to get off the topic of C********, thread or no thread. :innocent:
Is it Xmas or Christmas or something else ?

heres a history (http://www.holidays.net/christmas/story.htm)

baldrick
29th-October-2004, 08:51 PM
The extra skill is learning to miss the ground at the last second. :what:

Scotch Bonnet
29th-October-2004, 08:58 PM
My first worst present was a radio for the kitchen from my now ex husband,then many years later a boyfriend gave me a lovely framed picture of him and I together,we broke up a fortnight later,I promtly kept the frame and returned the then torn in half photo to him with kind regards !!!!!!

Gadget
29th-October-2004, 10:06 PM
A radio for the kitchen is a bad thing?? :what:

drathzel
30th-October-2004, 12:23 PM
,we broke up a fortnight later,I promtly kept the frame and returned the then torn in half photo to him with kind regards !!!!!!

very bitchy... i like!!!!! :worthy: :clap:

philsmove
30th-October-2004, 12:34 PM
A radio for the kitchen is a bad thing?? :what:

read "men are from Mars ......"

Lory
30th-October-2004, 01:47 PM
Whilst out shopping with my mum, sister and daughter yesterday, my daughter pointed out some beautifully packaged bathroom smelly's, she said 'ooh look, aren't these lovely, :nice: I replied, hmmm, they might look lovely but I got some for a present last year and the product is cr*p! :sick:

My daughter quickly replied, Oh thanks Mum, they were from ME! :eek: :tears:

Graham
30th-October-2004, 01:54 PM
Whilst out shopping with my mum, sister and daughter yesterday, my daughter pointed out some beautifully packaged bathroom smelly's, she said 'ooh look, aren't these lovely, :nice: I replied, hmmm, they might look lovely but I got some for a present last year and the product is cr*p! :sick:

:rofl: Well look on the bright side - at least she won't be buying you them again this year! Unless you really upset her, of course! :wink:

drathzel
1st-November-2004, 09:59 AM

That sounds like something I would do! :hug:

Lynn
9th-November-2004, 10:48 AM
Was going out last night and noticed that neighbours down the road have their Christmas lights up already! :what: :sick: IMO that's about a month too early (they have children so maybe it was easier to give in and go ahead!)

Anyone else seen domestic decorations up near them? (I know shops and some towns might have lights up)

ElaineB
9th-November-2004, 01:10 PM
Was going out last night and noticed that neighbours down the road have their Christmas lights up already! :what: :sick: IMO that's about a month too early (they have children so maybe it was easier to give in and go ahead!)

Anyone else seen domestic decorations up near them? (I know shops and some towns might have lights up)

Unfortunately yes! Always seems to be that the early bird lighting brigade have to cover the whole of their house and their garden with lights - heaven only knows what it does to the National Grid this time of year! Not to mention the environment!

Elaine

jivecat
9th-November-2004, 01:51 PM

'Fraid so. Just up the corner from the Leicester venue. I no longer care about fox-hunting or smacking - bring back flogging for those who mention/prepare for C******* before December 1st, I say.

Ban present-buying except for those under 16. Have a month-long holiday from 6th Dec to 6th Jan with free government rations of mulled wine, paid for by a heavy tax on those who want to festoon their houses with lit-up sledges and saturation advertise Magic&Sparkle from October onwards. (After their flogging, that is.) Except for teachers who will be working to organise nativity plays across the land. Give grants to carol-singers as long as they are not driven down the street in a van with loudspeakers, and are carrying proper lanterns. Each town and village should have a temporary ice-rink installed to give people something to do during the holiday. All items made from plastic should be banned from the shops for the entire season. Preparing and eating copious amounts of food is to be encouraged, especially if it takes place in close proximity to a roaring log fire and with as many friends/rellies as can reasonably be fitted in.

What was that about grumpy old women?

ElaineB
9th-November-2004, 02:00 PM
'Fraid so. Just up the corner from the Leicester venue. I no longer care about fox-hunting or smacking - bring back flogging for those who mention/prepare for C******* before December 1st, I say.

Ban present-buying except for those under 16. Have a month-long holiday from 6th Dec to 6th Jan with free government rations of mulled wine, paid for by a heavy tax on those who want to festoon their houses with lit-up sledges and saturation advertise Magic&Sparkle from October onwards. (After their flogging, that is.) Except for teachers who will be working to organise nativity plays across the land. Give grants to carol-singers as long as they are not driven down the street in a van with loudspeakers, and are carrying proper lanterns. Each town and village should have a temporary ice-rink installed to give people something to do during the holiday. All items made from plastic should be banned from the shops for the entire season. Preparing and eating copious amounts of food is to be encouraged, especially if it takes place in close proximity to a roaring log fire and with as many friends/rellies as can reasonably be fitted in.

What was that about grumpy old women?

Jivecat for PM! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine

Gojive
9th-November-2004, 02:14 PM
Jivecat for PM! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine

Did you mean to miss out the 'S' there Elaine? :whistle: :yum:

Dreadful Scathe
9th-November-2004, 02:15 PM
Unfortunately yes! Always seems to be that the early bird lighting brigade have to cover the whole of their house and their garden with lights - heaven only knows what it does to the National Grid this time of year! Not to mention the environment!

I was always under the impression that you put up decorations 12 days before xmas and took them down 12 days after, thats what everyone i knew did..that i remember anyway. I think its the commercial places that are encouraging the general public to do the same. Well you wont find ME following the bleeting masses ..baaa.....what about you Greg ? :)

Gadget
9th-November-2004, 02:56 PM
I was always under the impression that you put up decorations 12 days before xmas and took them down 12 days after, thats what everyone i knew did..that i remember anyway.
:yeah: mee to.

drathzel
9th-November-2004, 03:02 PM
I was always under the impression that you put up decorations 12 days before xmas and took them down 12 days after, thats what everyone i knew did..that i remember anyway. I think its the commercial places that are encouraging the general public to do the same. Well you wont find ME following the bleeting masses ..baaa.....what about you Greg ? :)

In my familys tradition the tree goes up the first sunday in the month of December and comes down before new year!

Lynn
9th-November-2004, 03:09 PM
In my familys tradition the tree goes up the first sunday in the month of December and comes down before new year! I usually put my tree up the second Sunday in December and then go out carol singing (yes, Jivecat, with lanterns, and sweets for the children) then back with all the other carol singers to the pastor's house for mince pies beside a roaring fire...

But in December - a couple of weeks before Christmas, not yet!

philsmove
9th-November-2004, 05:48 PM
I was always under the impression that you put up decorations 12 days before xmas

My parents used to decorate the tree on Christmas Eve after we had gorn to bed

Magic

Lory
9th-November-2004, 06:28 PM
My parents used to decorate the tree on Christmas Eve after we had gorn to bed

MagicMy parents too and it WAS magic! :hug:

CJ
9th-November-2004, 06:39 PM
Apologies for hijacking this thread...

We (The PBC Foundation) are singing in a couple of shopping centres this year raising funds. We are ALWAYS looking for singers!!

Anyine fancy it (FYI: is SO not too challenging) then please PM me.

Thank you.

jivecat
9th-November-2004, 06:43 PM
I usually put my tree up the second Sunday in December and then go out carol singing (yes, Jivecat, with lanterns, and sweets for the children) then back with all the other carol singers to the pastor's house for mince pies beside a roaring fire...

Sounds perfect, can I come too?

ElaineB
9th-November-2004, 08:08 PM
I usually put my tree up the second Sunday in December and then go out carol singing (yes, Jivecat, with lanterns, and sweets for the children) then back with all the other carol singers to the pastor's house for mince pies beside a roaring fire...

Ok, over to Lynns for Christmas then!

Elaine

Lynn
9th-November-2004, 10:22 PM
Sounds perfect, can I come too? It is lovely, people come out of their houses and join in for a carol or two. Pretty cold at times mind you - need to get the thermals out! That roaring fire and hot food is really appreciated at the end!

drathzel
10th-November-2004, 03:08 PM
then go out carol singing (yes, Jivecat, with lanterns, and sweets for the children) then back with all the other carol singers to the pastor's house for mince pies beside a roaring fire...

I used to do that too. I loved going singing on street corners. Its so much fun! We used to get hot soup back at the church!

Stuart
10th-November-2004, 06:48 PM
We used to do this at school. With our group it used to be a quick sprint down the road into the Comet PH, a couple of underage drinks and then a return to school, via the off licence for some Polos, for a disco with the local Girl's Grammar school. Happy Days!

Stuart
11th-November-2004, 09:18 PM
I drove past the big Christmas Tree farm on the M4 between Reading and Newbury today, and they were busy cutting the trees down ready for sale!