PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in the Sun... Ceroc is the hottest!

Franck
27th-October-2004, 12:10 PM
According to the Sun newspaper, Ceroc is the best (compared to Salsa and Ballroom), especially when it comes to accessibility and ease of learning...

You can find the article online here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004070002-2004500400,00.html

Shame that they (once again) seem to concentrate on the dating aspect of things... :sad:

cheeks
27th-October-2004, 12:22 PM
According to the Sun newspaper, Ceroc is the best (compared to Salsa and Ballroom), especially when it comes to accessibility and ease of learning...

You can find the article online here: http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2004070002-2004500400,00.html

Shame that they (once again) seem to concentrate on the dating aspect of things... :sad:

Just as well WE are all as hooked to the dancing then :yeah: :hug: :waycool: or the sun would have a field day they are probably just hoping for something to keep those readers amused..... :sick:

AND WHAT DATING ASPECT? :devil: :hug:

Lynn
27th-October-2004, 12:52 PM
Interesting the numbers it is quoting - 50,000 salsa dancers but 250,000 MJ - anyone have any idea on the validity of these numbers?

TheTramp
27th-October-2004, 01:15 PM
Is there dating going on at dancing then?? :innocent:

Trampy

Daisy Chain
27th-October-2004, 01:31 PM

Trampy

Bearded lady seeks ugly balding itinerant beginner for Maverick dance... :whistle:

Hotshots need not apply.

Daisy
(A hairy little flower)

MartinHarper
27th-October-2004, 01:45 PM
Rated highest by a 3am girl... you sure you wanna be advertising that? :)

drathzel
27th-October-2004, 01:49 PM
:

:yeah: hehe

drathzel
27th-October-2004, 01:51 PM
£4 a session???????????

TheTramp
27th-October-2004, 01:57 PM
£4 a session???????????
That's in London. Everything is cheaper down there, don't you know!!! :rofl:

Trampy

drathzel
27th-October-2004, 02:05 PM
That's in London. Everything is cheaper down there, don't you know!!! :rofl:

Trampy

No? :confused:

cerocmetro
27th-October-2004, 03:09 PM

Shameful, :whistle: :blush:

By the way, Dave & Val are in the JiveMAsters this SUnday :clap:

Video of 2003 still available :whistle:

Adam

ChrisA
27th-October-2004, 03:32 PM

We're never going to get away from this.

Dance is sexy, always has been, always will be. And a good thing too :waycool:

And it's not actually people on the pull that's the problem, it's when their behaviour is unacceptable, for any of the reasons we've talked about. And this happens only in a minority of occasions. Mostly, even guys on the pull are respectful and nice :innocent:

And if Ceroc provides something for the "twenty and thirtysomethings fed up with tedious chat-up lines in crowded clubs", is that so bad?

My feeling is that it's better to work on making it easier for people (dancers, teachers, taxis, organisers - anyone in fact) to deal with specific instances of unwelcome behaviour, than somehow to try and push the river upstream by hoping somehow that people won't (or suggesting that they shouldn't) spot the boy/girl potential of the scene and comment on it.

Chris

stewart38
27th-October-2004, 03:47 PM
Which ceroc venue did she visit to get this

"Full of twenty and thirtysomethings fed up with tedious chat-up lines in crowded clubs, it is a hotbed of dating.

There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in a hall full of sexy singles — not a common combination but a desirable one nonetheless. "

If it encourages more people to dance I dont see the problem

cheeks
27th-October-2004, 04:18 PM

Trampy

If there is I'm obviously missing out on that one :tears: :wink:

cheeks
27th-October-2004, 04:31 PM
:yeah: hehe

"There is a relaxed and friendly atmosphere in a hall full of sexy singles — not a common combination but a desirable one nonetheless.

ROMANCE: 10/10. FITNESS: 8/10. ACCESSIBILITY: 10/10. "

Where? any venue I attend is is yes relaxed and friendly and not full of sexy singles but yes possibly (sexy) dancers with passion only for the dancing and the music.....:flower: .......and accessibility to what?

The Venue? The Fitness? The Romance? or the Sexy Singles? :confused:

Stuart M
27th-October-2004, 04:54 PM
Franck, surely you know by now? The Sun will relate everything and anything to sex if it can.

In fact, I heard they got Microsoft to make bespoke alterations to MS Word for their journalists. So at Wapping, if you click Tools/Spelling & Grammar/Options/Settings, under 'Style' you'll see a check-box called 'Fwoar'. You can't disable it.

The Sun's not the only paper with such a deal, of course. At the Daily Record, the words 'England' and 'English' are auto-formatted to Bold Caps. The Daily Mail style setting for headlines auto-completes with 'Outrage'.

And at the Guardina, of course, the spell checker is permanently switched off... :rolleyes:

drathzel
27th-October-2004, 05:03 PM
Franck, surely you know by now? The Sun will relate everything and anything to sex if it can.

In fact, I heard they got Microsoft to make bespoke alterations to MS Word for their journalists. So at Wapping, if you click Tools/Spelling & Grammar/Options/Settings, under 'Style' you'll see a check-box called 'Fwoar'. You can't disable it.

The Sun's not the only paper with such a deal, of course. At the Daily Record, the words 'England' and 'English' are auto-formatted to Bold Caps. The Daily Mail style setting for headlines auto-completes with 'Outrage'.

And at the Guardina, of course, the spell checker is permanently switched off... :rolleyes:

And you are sad enough to know this!!! I dont read news papers, if i wantr to know anything i normally find it out eventually!

Bangers & Mash
27th-October-2004, 05:30 PM

You should have invited them to Strictly Sinful - that would have put them right...

The dance floor was crowded by hot sweaty half and scantily dressed people, who having been taught how to dance sloth, anger and lust by a man with a large snake and a woman in her underwear...

perhaps not :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

spindr
28th-October-2004, 01:17 PM
A different point of view? (http://www.salsamafia.com:8080/yabbee/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1337;sta rt=0) Oh, and a *great* photograph :devil:

SpinDr.

Rhythm King
28th-October-2004, 02:04 PM

:rofl: and there I was thinking it was "The Grauniad"

Gordon J Pownall
28th-October-2004, 02:24 PM
So Ceroc gets national coverage in The Sun newspaper......

What happens..... :confused:

Well, (and this is only my humble opinion).... instead of seeing it as a positive - it gets slagged off by a number of people in this thread... :tears:

OK - so some of the reporting in the article is not wholly accurate or may not be an accurate reflection of your particular venue or night....

(IT'S THE BLOODY SUN FOR GOODNESS SAKE)

...a tabloid that historically has not been known as a shining example of accurate journalism!!! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I sometimes wish that people could try and find the positive side of things more in life.... :flower:

Yes it's easy to say this isn't right, they got that wrong, what a load of tosh etc etc.

Could we not just say Ceroc has got national coverage in a well read newspaper and hopefully this will encourage more people through our doors......? :na:

Sorry - just in a really good mood today until I saw some of the above comments in the thread :sad:

Rant over and if I get flamed...so be it.....just thought the article in the paper was a good thing for Ceroc, Modern Jive and partner dance in general, I didn't see it as an opportunity for fault finding or pedantic picking..... :mad:

G...x

Chicklet
28th-October-2004, 02:32 PM
A different point of view? (http://www.salsamafia.com:8080/yabbee/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1337;sta rt=0) Oh, and a *great* photograph :devil:

SpinDr.

I'm NOT having a good day, here's another post I stared and stared at to try and work out what it was all about and then only when the phone rang and I got a fright and my hand with the mousie jumped and the blue bit changed colour, did I realise that it was a link to another site!!!!

(most go back and look for more of these on other threads !!!)

Anyway, interesting Forumero they have there but I must ask, is the use of the "word" "innit" tongue in cheek? :what:

( I have always hoped that the word was some kind of urban myth as I have only every heard it on comedy hour on the televisual apparatus)

Gus
28th-October-2004, 02:32 PM
Could we not just say Ceroc has got national coverage in a well read newspaper and hopefully this will encourage more people through our doors......? Thats a point ...was there an upsurge in membership after the Ceroc 'expose' in the Mirror?

Chicklet
28th-October-2004, 02:40 PM
and hopefully this will encourage more people through our doors......? :na:

yes but sweetie they might actually be SUN READERS :what: :what:

ChrisA
28th-October-2004, 02:55 PM

Awesome photograph, agreed :D

What about the following post, tho - Max Damage, immediately after the photo :drool: ...

"Ceroc is *****!!!!!!!
Ballroom is alright but like dancing round with a broom up your arse.
Although I can understand why they rated Ceroc higher then Salsa. For the average person that walks in off the street, It's easy cos there's no footwork, no timing and you can dance to anything.
Although surely this is more reason to bring different music into Salsa. "

Interesting perspective, I thought... albeit not one I would share, naturally :D

Chris

Rhythm King
28th-October-2004, 03:08 PM
Interesting perspective, I thought... albeit not one I would share, naturally :D

Of course not Chris, after all, if you wanted to do complicated footwork, you could always do Lindy Hop :whistle: . . .

:rofl:

R-K :wink:

ChrisA
28th-October-2004, 03:13 PM
Rant over and if I get flamed...so be it.....just thought the article in the paper was a good thing for Ceroc, Modern Jive and partner dance in general, I didn't see it as an opportunity for fault finding or pedantic picking..... :mad:

......:yeah:

Franck
28th-October-2004, 03:26 PM
Dance is sexy, always has been, always will be. And a good thing too :waycool:No disagreement there, and I wasn't trying to pretend there isn't plenty of dating / flirting going on at Ceroc / MJ venues. Of course dancing is sexy, and as Bangers & Mash pointed out, some nights (7 Sins) are even sexier than others.

My sad face related to the fact that this is the only angle newspapers ever take, I know sex sells, so shouldn't be complaining, but once in a while it would be great to see something that challenged that, and offered a more in-depth portrayal of a typical Ceroc night. Most people that turn up at a Ceroc night first and foremost want to learn to dance, then they want to improve their social life, and usually also get fit!
Some of them turn up in the hope of finding Mr/Ms Right, and that's fine too, as long as they realise they'll have to learn to dance first :wink:

To reply to Gordy, I agree, the article is fantastic news, and so many people read the Sun that we're bound to get a few more new members over the next few weeks, especially with Strictly come dancing back on TV :clap:

I read the Salsa Forum and couldn't help laughing, it seems there are as many Salsa fanatics who can't see past it as there are MJ fanatics, willing to criticize every other dance! Interesting that most Salsa dancers are also fed up with the repetitive music :D

In summary, I agree broadly with the article's findings, and indeed, I'm very proud that Ceroc was rated highest for accessibility... This in my view is the single most important advantage we have over all other dance classes, no need to book, no need to be talented, no need to fit a specific 'look' before anyone asks you to dance, no need to go every week, no need to force yourself to listen to a 'single' genre of music (be it Salsa, Ballroom, old Rock&Roll, Swing etc...). Everyone is welcome, everyone can and will learn, everyone has fun, and we play all / most types of music! :waycool:

Rachel
28th-October-2004, 03:39 PM
Some of them turn up in the hope of finding Mr/Ms Right, and that's fine too, as long as they realise they'll have to learn to dance first :wink: Yeah that's all well and good, but nobody told me I'd have to do five bl**dy years of this Ceroc malarky before finding Mr Right! :wink: :wink:
R. x

PS. wonderful post, Franck

latinlover
28th-October-2004, 03:49 PM
:rofl: and there I was thinking it was "The Grauniad"

It'll always be "Uragniad" to me :D

Bangers & Mash
28th-October-2004, 03:52 PM
My sad face related to the fact that this is the only angle newspapers ever take, I know sex sells, so shouldn't be complaining, but once in a while it would be great to see something that challenged that, and offered a more in-depth portrayal of a typical Ceroc night.

So, why not do it ourselves? Start with a local paper and offer them an ongoing story "The Scottish Dance Scene" - select a few regulars that you can use as examples (poss. with name changes) and really tell them how much fun it can be. Talk about the failures, the successes and the global community (Australia, New Zealand...)

Why not mention the party nights and venues all over the UK, mention Southport, Scarborough, Dance Holidays, Musselburgh, et al.

There are some really colourful characters at Ceroc from all walks of life who share one common interest - dance. Many of these people are interesting enough to make reading about them interesting and plain enough to associate with.

Why not invite a local reporter (or even a student reporter who needs a good story for their career launch) to join ceroc, see what happens behind the scenes, meet some of the characters and have a lot of fun.

Christmas and Hogmany is a great opportunity - really push the Hogmany and scottish thing - let the rest of the world know that Scotland knows how to dance and how to party.

:yeah:

Bangers & Mash
28th-October-2004, 03:55 PM
Christmas and Hogmany is a great opportunity - really push the Hogmany and scottish thing - let the rest of the world know that Scotland knows how to dance and how to party.

Franck, why not contact a paper and offer to train up one of their reporters to be a good dancer by Christmas - and get them to diarise it in their paper.

latinlover
28th-October-2004, 03:57 PM

...a tabloid that historically has not been known as a shining example of accurate journalism!!! :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

I sometimes wish that people could try and find the positive side of things more in life.... :flower:

Yes it's easy to say this isn't right, they got that wrong, what a load of tosh etc etc.

Could we not just say Ceroc has got national coverage in a well read newspaper and hopefully this will encourage more people through our doors......? :na:

G...x

I thought it was generally positive ,especially in accesssibilty

what is all the salsa stuff? I can't get the link to work
- presumably salsa people slagging off ceroc?
they do it all the time-every time i go they ask me if i've defected :mad:

so what's wrong with wanting to be able to dance well to another style of music?
and let's face it if you go to the States there doesn't seem to be any MJ there (correct me if I'm wrong please someone?),hence I'm learning salsa
sorry , went off thread a bit there....please don't beat me franck

Bangers & Mash
28th-October-2004, 04:01 PM
...and let's face it if you go to the States there doesn't seem to be any MJ there (correct me if I'm wrong please someone?),hence I'm learning salsa
sorry , went off thread a bit there....please don't beat me franck

I went to California and did MJ and had a great time. No shortage of dances and no shortage of people wanting to "have a go". :nice:

latinlover
28th-October-2004, 04:03 PM
I went to California and did MJ and had a great time. No shortage of dances and no shortage of people wanting to "have a go". :nice:

thanks
any one know of any in new york?

Gadget
28th-October-2004, 04:10 PM
, I didn't see it as an opportunity for fault finding or pedantic picking.....
You're just not looking hard enough: everything offers an opportunity for fault finding and pedantic picking :whistle:

MartinHarper
28th-October-2004, 04:14 PM
I've been mildly impressed by the "press release" method to get free publicity for stuff that's only borderline newsworthy. Write a story about Ceroc (or Ceroc Scotland) in the third person, with a headline, stick "press release" on the top, and email it around. Lazy journalists seem happy to cut and paste such things into their papers - they get to fill up some space without having to work too hard.

Will
28th-October-2004, 04:20 PM

Well, (and this is only my humble opinion).... instead of seeing it as a positive - it gets slagged off by a number of people in this thread... :tears:

OK - so some of the reporting in the article is not wholly accurate or may not be an accurate reflection of your particular venue or night....

Sorry - just in a really good mood today until I saw some of the above comments in the thread :sad:

G...x

Rhythm King
28th-October-2004, 04:24 PM
thanks

There used to be Ceroc at a night club called "Dublin Over NYC" at 209 E 84th St. They used to meet up socially on Friday nights at the bar on top of The World Trade Center :sad: . It was no longer operating at that venue the last time I went (about 3 years ago) although apparently there is still Ceroc in Chicago. You could try Dance Manhattan at 39 West 19th St, who do virtually everything else, esp salsa, tango and lindy. Look here (http://www.dance-manhattan.com/)
Cheers

R-K

Yliander
28th-October-2004, 05:05 PM
thanks
indeed there is although they don't seem to be having weekly classes .... monthly party with a class at the start - ModernJive USA (http://www.modernjiveusa.com/)

TheTramp
28th-October-2004, 05:42 PM

G...x

Sorry Gordon and Will...

I just went and re-read all the posts prior to Gordons one, and could only find one possibly negative comment (about who wrote the article), and one person making a comment that it was a shame that they based the article on picking up partners.

Just what did you read into those first 20 posts to require such a rant Gordon?!? Anyhow, I hope that your day has improved now :hug:

Trampy

DavidY
28th-October-2004, 06:28 PM
And at the Guardina, of course, the spell checker is permanently switched off... :rolleyes:I once heard an explanation for the Guardian's reputation for typos - dunno how true it is.

The explanation was that the Guardian had no more typos than any other paper, and all papers tended to have more mistakes in the first edition, which were spotted and fixed in the later editions.

However for the (Manchester) Guardian, the early editions (with typos) got sent to London (because they had further to travel) and the later editions were sent to places nearer to where they were printed.

The other national papers based in London sent the early editions (with typos) elsewhere in the country and the later editions (with corrections) stayed in London.

So Londoners compared Guardians with other papers and concluded it had more typos, and this got into BBC comedy routines etc. and hence the Guardian's poor reputation spread.

Presumably for Mancunians, the Guardian was OK and all the other papers were full of typos.

As I said, dunno how true it is, but I like the idea ...

Gordon J Pownall
29th-October-2004, 12:30 AM
Sorry Gordon and Will...

Anyhow, I hope that your day has improved now :hug:

Trampy

It has - finished and off to Greece on Saturday for a weeks sailing delivering a 47ft yacht to Athens from Rhodes......Marvellous...!!!

Have a hug back mate..... :hug: :hug:

Gadget
29th-October-2004, 08:15 AM
:envy:envy:envy:

Bangers & Mash
29th-October-2004, 08:43 AM
:envy:envy:envy:

knowing Gordon's luck he'll get holed on his trip by a boat-load of Sun readers who were too busy making out to see his 47ft vessel :wink: