PDA

View Full Version : John Peel

Divissima
26th-October-2004, 02:30 PM
I have just heard that John Peel has died today. I can't recall being this moved by the death of someone famous before. He was a truly great broadcaster - and always seemed such a kind man, with a great sense of humour.

Saturday mornings will not be the same.

Gordon J Pownall
26th-October-2004, 03:33 PM
I have just heard that John Peel has died today. I can't recall being this moved by the death of someone famous before. He was a truly great broadcaster - and always seemed such a kind man, with a great sense of humour.

Saturday mornings will not be the same.

A truly great man - where others trod a well worn path, he chose to take the less travelled route. My Monday evenings driving back from dancing and listening to Home Truths will be sadly missed.

My thoughts go to his family and the thousands of listeners.

Be peaceful John.....x

Rachel
26th-October-2004, 03:46 PM
I was in shock when I read your post, Divi, and had to go immediately to the BBC news page. I'm still finding it hard to believe. That man is a hero of mine - he's someone who everyone feels like they know .. so incredibly down-to-earth, but completely fearless and inspirational in seeking out the best music that no-one else would play. I have absolutely no idea how much music I've discovered through his programmes, but it's a LOT - he's left one hell of a legacy in my household!
Rachel

Gadget
26th-October-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm sure I was just listening to him last week? - never did like his accent, but he played some inspirational and diverse music.

Simon r
26th-October-2004, 04:29 PM
oohh my god i cant believe it the man was my hero
i cant begin to name the amount of bands he got me into goldfrap ,kosheen,gomez,red hot chilli, nirvana there are so many and i always heard them first through him, and it was him that got them into main stream, this man was part of my life and insperation i met him at V and glaso and he was so down to earth and willing to talk to anyone about his passion...
I have heard nothing on the radio and i listen all day, have i missed it being announced ...
i think i am in shock

Lounge Lizard
26th-October-2004, 04:33 PM
I heard the news on capital gold, then they had the bad taste to play an add with his voice-over

as he played on Maggie May with Rod stewart on TOTP think I may give it a whirl tonight - that or goldfrap
this is a sad day for music lovers
Peter

Graham W
26th-October-2004, 05:09 PM
...music on R1 this aft was the best ever in recent times in tribute - a reflection of the number of bands that he helped to give airplay..

G

Dance Demon
26th-October-2004, 05:14 PM
R.I.P. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

ElaineB
26th-October-2004, 06:28 PM
I used to listen to John Peel on Saturday mornings, the program 'Home Truths' - I loved his sense of humour, but in particular the sensitive way in which he approached some hard subjects. He also had a knack of seamless changeovers, even when one subject really didn't seem to blend with another!

No doubt I will join millions who will miss listening to him!

Elaine

Lou
26th-October-2004, 06:35 PM
What more can you say.

John Peel so influenced my life & record collection. RIP, Mate.

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2004, 07:22 PM
Heard the news at work today - he'll be sadly missed.

Whitebeard
26th-October-2004, 07:39 PM
The one radio DJ I liked, admired, and respected over many years; and to whose words I actually paid attention. The passing of a great inspirational talent and a very sad day.

latinlover
27th-October-2004, 08:41 AM
How sad. I me thim a couple of times in passing at the BBC in the early eighties and he was incredibly humble and down-to-earth, considering his status even then as a legend and opinion former.
Who can disagree that he is the most influencial of all radio D.J's ever? just look at the diversity of the band names mentioned on the forum already - no-one's mentioned David Bowie or Marc Bolan or Led Zeppellin and so on and so on......
Condolences to his widow and family who will, of course , miss him terribly

Dan Hudson
27th-October-2004, 09:07 AM
What a sad loss to the music industry, John Peel was one of the truly great broadcasters of our time.
I was fortunate enough to meet the great man during my time at Radio 1 and he was the lovliest guy, a pleasure to talk to, infectious enthusiam of music.
His love of music and his constant striving to find that new band will be sadly missed.

RIP

Rachel
27th-October-2004, 04:06 PM
Well I think that Teenage Kicks ought to be played at least once, as a tribute, at every Ceroc/MJ venue this week. It was always one of my favourites, too...
Rachel

philsmove
27th-October-2004, 05:06 PM
The local paper, has announced that Michael Eavis, is to rename part of the Glastonbury site after him

I great tribute to a great man

His Dulcet tone will be sadly missed

Stuart M
27th-October-2004, 05:13 PM
I think he probably just heard about who'd been picked as the 5 founding members of the British Rock & Roll Hall of Fame (http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/H/halloffame/foundingmembers.html) (only one British act among them!) and decided enough was enough. I only occasionally heard his show, but he's a huge loss to music, without a doubt. And by all accounts a genuinely nice bloke. RIP :worthy:

SwingSwingSwing
27th-October-2004, 07:41 PM
I didn't find out about this until this morning. I hadn't listened to him for a while, my musicals tastes having moved on but I'm my student days he introduced me to a whole world of music from Extreme Noise Terror to Augustus Pablo.

A sad loss.

SwingSwingSwing

DaveD
27th-October-2004, 08:03 PM
Can't believe he's gone - Can still remember the first time I listened to "top gear" in the 70's with a Rod Stewart and the Faces track - Stay with Me. I'm sure he will

Dave

Ste
27th-October-2004, 10:17 PM
Truly a broadcasting figure that I respected.

Years ago me and my mates had a band that did Hawkwind covers. We called it Cyclic AMP and I joined as a keyboardist. I then went to Uni and could no longer play with them.

A few years later Mr Peel was kind enough to feature this band.

He was a true advocate of creativity in a sea of clone makers.

And a Scouser! :clap: :clap: :clap:

baldrick
28th-October-2004, 06:32 PM
I never listend to his music shows but loved Home truths. He managed to present feature with heart and sensitivity without letting the show get too heavy, or letting the humour cheepen the experiances of his guests.
Saterdays will take some getting used too without his voice. :sad:

DavidY
29th-October-2004, 10:13 PM
Radio 4's Front Row programme last Tuesday was a tribute to John Peel. The bit at the end of the programme (when Andy Kershaw was describing the last time he spoke to him) was partcularly sad.

Worth catching on the Radio 4 website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/frontrow_20041026.shtml) if you get the chance while it's there (I imagine it may be deleted by next Tuesday).

philsmove
8th-November-2004, 08:11 PM
The funnel arrangements can be found here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/3992703.stm

I just wonder what has been chosen for the Hymns

Whitebeard
9th-November-2004, 12:51 AM
The funnel arrangements can be found here.

The arrangements need to be something special, but what on earth are they planning here ??

Bill
9th-November-2004, 01:24 PM
I have an abiding memory of listening to John Peel in the winter of 72/3 and hearing bands like Tangerine Dream which I suppose you could argue preceeded the currnet ambient musical trend.

Then was an avid listerner for the punk and new wave years and still remember hearing the likes of the Clash, Pistols, Magazine, Lena Lovitch, Wreckless Eric. Elvis Costello and Graham Parker for the first time. Ah, the early Stiff collection.

The man was amazing and will be sorley missed.

philsmove
12th-November-2004, 08:12 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4005023.stm

philsmove
24th-November-2004, 07:55 PM
John Peel's autobiography is to be published next autumn

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4038323.stm

bigdjiver
17th-December-2004, 06:00 PM
I was doing an audio search and I came across an interview with John Peel after the death of Lonnie Donegan. No. 9 on the list.

http://www.dogpile.co.uk/uk.dogpl/search/audio/lonnie%2Bdonegan