PDA

View Full Version : Tickets on the door/Tickets only

stewart38
22nd-October-2004, 12:03 PM
I recently went to an event which was 'ticket only'. We didnt now this and the 3 of us got in on the day, which we were greatful for as we had driven a long way. It wasnt clearly advertised as being 'Ticket only'.

It was very crowded and I wonder how many others turned up without tickets and got in ?

I note a lot of events are 'buy ticket before at discount' or on door at extra cost which is fine

Im just interested in hearing from people who run these events how they ensure numbers dont get too big ?

Has anyone ever turned people away even if advertised as 'tickets on the door'.

Hammersmith has sometimes been very crowded but ive never heard them turn people away from the door ?

spindr
22nd-October-2004, 12:38 PM
Has anyone ever turned people away even if advertised as 'tickets on the door'.

I've been to several events that have had to turn people away at the door --
Friday freestyles / Saturday showcases at `Admiral Lord Nelson School' near Southsea, a charity event at Greenham Common near Newbury (I think the fact that you could buy a teacher might have helped), etc. In fact, I've gone so far at a couple of events -- when I know I've got friends arriving later to pre-buy their tickets on the door, just in case.

I think my favourite events such as the TLC February ball (http://www.tracieslatinclub.co.uk) and the 1940's ball at Greenhall (http://www.gingerjive.co.uk) regularly sell out.

Most events say "Tickets may be available on the door" -- if I think I'm risking it, I'll try and turn up early in case they sell out.

SpinDr.

P.S. Why risk being turned away on -- buy your tickets early -- shameless plug :whistle:

The Big Love Show

Tickets in advance only £10. (£15 on the door).
Get your ticket now from 01895 232239 or any member of the cast.

* This is a one-off event to raise money for a good cause.
* 700 dancers attending.
* 50 teachers/dancers/choreographers putting on a hour long dance show.
* 4 hours freestyle in a massive picturesque hall.
* Big car park to hold everyone.
* Licensed bar.
* ALL PROCEEDS TO CHARITY
* Tenner to see it and have fun.
* It's called "The Big Love Show"
* Never been done before, it will be talked about for years to come.

See http://www.jivelive.com/rockbottoms/biglove/bl1.htm

John S
22nd-October-2004, 12:40 PM
An organiser of any event has a responsibility for the safety of people attending it, so if there is any prospect of overcrowding or breach of relevant fire or health & safety regulations then the numbers would have to be limited, even at the risk of upsetting people who have travelled a long way to be there.

Mind you, I suspect from my experience of attending some obviously overcrowded dance events in the past the tendency is just to cram in as many as will pay!

Lynn
22nd-October-2004, 01:14 PM
An organiser of any event has a responsibility for the safety of people attending it, so if there is any prospect of overcrowding or breach of relevant fire or health & safety regulations then the numbers would have to be limited :yeah:
In my limited event experience (not MJ) - I was responsible for running a ceilidh this summer that in the past was always way overcrowded (pay at door). I checked fire regulations for the venue (700) and talked to H&S and decided that to allow space to dance I would limit it to 500 ticket only (mostly presold). As this was under regulations I was able to increase this to 600 on the night (still turned about 100 away though :tears: ) but that was still too crowded. You get a feel fairly quickly for how many is comfortable in a venue and sometimes you have to be strict on the limits you set, especially if tickets are available in advance and others have made the effort to get them, and then can't dance as its too crowded.

philsmove
22nd-October-2004, 04:28 PM
Went to Tauton a few weeks’ ago- large sign on door

Ticket only- no ticket no admittance

As MJ is defiantly getting more popular I suspect we will see more ticket only events

No problem provided organisers make this clear on their advertising (which Tauton did )

RogerR
22nd-October-2004, 07:45 PM
Venues all have a licensed capacity or several according to the event format. Standing as at a reception is usually more than the seated theatre style and seated to dine capacities, the capacity for comfortable safe dancing is even less. -- Thats why commercial venues dont like jive too few people who dont drink enough so the bar take will be too low.

johnthehappyguy
25th-October-2004, 12:41 AM
Went to Ceroc freestyle night at St. Albans on Saturday. Non-ticketed. St. Albans town hall. :sad: :sad: :sad:

The venue was far too small for the number of dancers. Apart from a row of chairs around the edge of the dancefloor, there was nowhere away from the dancefloor for people to sit, with only a very small foyer/bar area. There were no tables anywhere, and many were standing on the dancefloor because there was nowhere else for them to be. :confused:

I did see a great example of slot dancing by one chap, who was moving his partners into any space that appeared around him, returning them to the centre then leading them into a space that had appeared somewhere else around him. :grin:

However his skills were not shared by the majority of the populace, dancing was unpleasant, with dancers being continually bashed, kicked and stood on. :eek: :eek:

The lighting was atrocious. With two light units at one end of the hall, the other end was in almost darkness. :mad: :mad:

I can only deduce that this was why many people voted with their feet, and left early.

It was a very disappointing evening. :( :eek: :confused: :tears:

I wish I had stayed at home. :tears:

The experience does make me more appreciative of the facilities at the freestyle Ceroc nights that I have attended in Perth, Edinburgh and Glasgow, and also of Route 66, and LeRoc in Edinburgh.

Am I being too demanding, or does the Franchisee have a responsibility to provide more adequate facilities for an enjoyable night ? :confused:

If at the door, one continues to take entrance money for a dance, when there is no longer space to dance, then does it constitute theft ?

johntheusuallyhappierguy.

Gus
25th-October-2004, 09:26 AM
Am I being too demanding, or does the Franchisee have a responsibility to provide more adequate facilities for an enjoyable night ? :confused:

If at the door, one continues to take entrance money for a dance, when there is no longer space to dance, then does it constitute theft ?There are a number of venues in the NWest and Midlands where this situation occurs. The only time restrictions seem to apply are Xmas and New Year parties where entry is by ticket only ... and even then the number of tickets are too many. There is a freestyle venue I loved but they just pack them in ... I managed to get 3 dances the last time I went ... it was REDICULOUS :angry: I should have demanded my money back but I know the guy who runs it and didnt want any bad blood ... I just will never go there again.

It does seem that many franchisees just dont care ... as long as people will part with money on the front door, the punters are let in. Look at a venue this way .... my club has a dance floor area (not includimg any sitting area) of 3000 sq ft. It also has a sitting capcity of 300. I know from exeprience that with 240 dancers in the venue, the dancefloor is full but still allows people to dance comfortably. This dancefloor is about twice the size of most dancefloors at other venues further south, but I've seen these clubs packing in 200!! How can that make any sense? :(

TheTramp
25th-October-2004, 09:38 AM
The only time restrictions seem to apply are Xmas and New Year parties where entry is by ticket only ... and even then the number of tickets are too many.(
You should come to Scotland more often Gus. Last weekends party at the Bonar Hall was limited numbers. And the beach ballroom weekends are the same. I'd say that both venues are just about right for a nice, busy atmosphere and still being not too crowded.

Trampy

stewart38
25th-October-2004, 09:48 AM
Ealing Halloween Jive party are just selling tickets on the door

It must be difficult for organiser to sometime to decide what is the best option

A regular at Ealing said

..."To be honest I’m worried it will be a bit overcrowded and wont go "....

I dont go there much so dont know if it will be crowded or what they have done in the past.

Gus
25th-October-2004, 10:24 AM
Ealing Halloween Jive party are just selling tickets on the door

It must be difficult for organiser to sometime to decide what is the best option.We've found that for regular freestyles (i.e. not Xmas/NYE) punters simply dont bother buying tickets. To combat this we've given people the option of buying tickets of buying tickets in advance and have the remainder for sale on the door. Everyone knows we have a strict capacity and have the club mobile manned so that anyone can call as they set-out to check that tickets are still available. From previous experience we have a good idea by 9pm if we are going to sell out or not.

ChrisA
25th-October-2004, 10:25 AM
..."To be honest I’m worried it will be a bit overcrowded and wont go "....

Well if it's anything like some of the New Year parties at Ealing in recent times, it will be heaving.

And the free bar won't help, either - people are very much less considerate on the dance floor once they've had a couple of beers.

I'm very disinclined to go because of it. Which is a shame, since I like the crowd there. :tears:

I understand the disappointment of people who get somewhere, not knowing it's ticket only, and get turned away, but so many venues are getting overcrowded nowadays that ticket only has to be the way to go - and with the proliferation of email newsletters and such like, there's less and less excuse for not knowing the arrangements for a given event.

Chris

ChrisA
25th-October-2004, 10:53 AM
We've found that for regular freestyles (i.e. not Xmas/NYE) punters simply dont bother buying tickets.
Isn't this just a question of what people are used to, though?

If the expectation is that they'll be able to get in on the door, people will keep on just turning up.

It may be that people's expectations will have to be changed by getting stricter - and even if an event hasn't sold out, enforce ticket only entry.

Not good for the organiser - since it means that for one event at least, you won't sell as many tickets as you'd like.

Good in the long run though.

Chris

stewart38
18th-November-2004, 02:12 PM
Im glad to see Jive masters wont be turning people away people from the door

Lets hope it doesnt get too crowded :sick:

Jon L
18th-November-2004, 05:53 PM
I would recommend if you're going to drive several miles for a freestyle, calling to reserve a ticket.

I do this if I am going down to the South Coast usually.

jockey
18th-November-2004, 07:01 PM
My partner and I got turned away from The Admiral Lord Nelson (not 'by') having driven from Brighton (to Portsmouth). I had no computer at the time but the dancer who told me about the event (that day) did and she did not mention that 'FULL' was anywhere to be obviously seen on the site.It was the organiser himself who turned me away; whenever I had been previously i got in no problem. The rights ands wrongs of it all I shall leave to others but I don't hold it against the man.Also it is an ok venue.

Jon L
18th-November-2004, 08:33 PM
My partner and I got turned away from The Admiral Lord Nelson (not 'by') having driven from Brighton (to Portsmouth). I had no computer at the time but the dancer who told me about the event (that day) did and she did not mention that 'FULL' was anywhere to be obviously seen on the site.It was the organiser himself who turned me away; whenever I had been previously i got in no problem. The rights ands wrongs of it all I shall leave to others but I don't hold it against the man.Also it is an ok venue.

That's why checking is a good idea with the venue organisers. Trusting third parties can be dodgy.

Admiral Lord Nelson is lovely venue. Plenty of space clean and modern - very friendly atmosphere there - no cliques at all. Worth a 55 mile drive.