PDA

View Full Version : Hair straightening advice

Northants Girly
16th-October-2004, 11:11 PM
I have just had a new haircut and my hairdresser used straightening irons on my hair - for the first time. On coming out of the hairdressers my 6 year old daughter tugged my arm and proclaimed "Mummy - you look like a witch!" :really:

However, I really like it and have been investigating buying a pair of these things. It seems that one can pay anything from £15 to £70 though :what:
Do I need to pay £70? Is there any difference? :confused: Can anyone recommend a brand of straightenings that are any good?

Lory
17th-October-2004, 02:00 AM
However, I really like it and have been investigating buying a pair of these things. It seems that one can pay anything from £15 to £70 though :what:
Do I need to pay £70? Is there any difference? :confused: Can anyone recommend a brand of straightenings that are any good?
I think I can safely advise with authority on this one! ;)

The best ones without a doubt are GHDS, they heat up in 30secs, they're ceramic and they glide through the hair with out snagging or tugging, which some of the cheaper brands do!

The biggest plus for the professional hairdresser is the fact they get VERY HOT, therefore eliminating the need to go over any section of hair more than once (which is a bonus for time) but I might worry that in amature hands this may be a problem, if they're left in the hair longer than a few seconds, the hair will literally burn off (I've seen it happen!) :tears:

GHDS cost from £75 upwards, £115 for the largest plate (the plate size should reflect the length of hair you've got..... 3-4ins and under the smallest plate and so on)
I've tried cheaper ones and i've found, they're too slow to heat up, never reach a high enough temp and they pull the hair, To be honest, I find them frustrating but if you have very fine hair or hair that's easily straightened, you may get away with it, I'd definitely go for ceramic or glass at least though!

Tip, whatever ones you use, you should alway's keep them moving in your hair, use a anti heat protection spray before hand and I'd recommend always finish off with a small amount of serum to keep you hair in tip top condition!

You will get the best result in straightening, when your hair is freshly washed and dryed!

Good luck! :hug:

Yliander
17th-October-2004, 02:06 AM
Do I need to pay £70? Is there any difference? :confused: Can anyone recommend a brand of straightenings that are any good? there is one brand that you can get in the UK - which I can't remember the name of - it is expensive but my sister swears by it says it keeps her hair straight for 2 days!! apparently it has something to do with ions :confused:

Personally I spent $40 (about 20 pounds) for my straighter - so don't think you have to spend a lot of money - my advice would be buy one with large plates - much more time affective than narrow plates also - it is worth getting an appropriate straightening product - my reccommendation there is L'Oreal Liss control - fab stuff. the end result is that my thick wavy below shoulder length hair stays straight for 12 - 18 hours!!! and that was at a dance comp!! it takes some time to do but well worth it for special occasions to lazy to do it for everyday.

dee
17th-October-2004, 11:57 AM
Well that explaines why my Remmington £25 ones are not very good and leave me with split ends :( will have to ask santa to buy me some better ones this year :flower:

drathzel
17th-October-2004, 01:00 PM
Well that explaines why my Remmington £25 ones are not very good and leave me with split ends :( will have to ask santa to buy me some better ones this year :flower:

I love my remmington ones!!! they are ceramic though and worth £40!!!

Yliander
17th-October-2004, 01:33 PM
The best ones without a doubt are GHDS, they heat up in 30secs, they're ceramic and they glide through the hair with out snagging or tugging, which some of the cheaper brands do! Thats the ones I couldn't think the name of!!!

my straightner takes about 10 minutes to heat up and has 2 heat settings and has combs that clip on that help stop the tangling.

protection serums are very important when using straightners

TheTramp
17th-October-2004, 01:46 PM
protection serums are very important when using straightners
Was that my mistake then?!? :tears:

Trampy

drathzel
17th-October-2004, 01:53 PM
Was that my mistake then?!? :tears:

Trampy
It just makes your hair break,not fall out!!

TheTramp
17th-October-2004, 01:54 PM
It just makes your hair break,not fall out!!
Well. It all broke. Off. :tears:

Trampy

drathzel
17th-October-2004, 01:56 PM
Well. It all broke. Off. :tears:

Trampy

From the roots? Thats odd? Never happened to me! :confused:

Minnie M
17th-October-2004, 10:30 PM
The trouble with the GHDS, is that they are so good, that you hair is left almost spikey straight

Do the do a ceramic straightner that you can recommend that is round or isn't there such a thing ? (a bit like tongs but in ceramic)

drathzel
17th-October-2004, 10:36 PM
The trouble with the GHDS, is that they are so good, that you hair is left almost spikey straight

Do the do a ceramic straightner that you can recommend that is round or isn't there such a thing ? (a bit like tongs but in ceramic)

I have no idea what you are on about how can tongs be straighteners? But if you want tongs in ceramic, i dont know if you can! try looking on the boots website!!

Minnie M
17th-October-2004, 10:50 PM
(Love the avatar drathzel)

I didn't thing there would be such a thing, but what a good idea if someone would market it.

Ceramic straightners consist of an oblong pad thus making a straight line when used. A professional (such as Lory) can tweek them so the ends curl slightly - but when you have hair like mine - very curly and also gets frizzy, I would like it to be sleek and smooth but NOT dead straight SO.... I thought if you curve the ceramic round eg a set of tongs, you could still straighten the hair but it would have a curve to it - does that make sense :blush:

drathzel
17th-October-2004, 10:52 PM
(Love the avatar drathzel)

I didn't thing there would be such a thing, but what a good idea if someone would market it.

Ceramic straightners consist of an oblong pad thus making a straight line when used. A professional (such as Lory) can tweek them so the ends curl slightly - but when you have hair like mine - very curly and also gets frizzy, I would like it to be sleek and smooth but NOT dead straight SO.... I thought if you curve the ceramic round eg a set of tongs, you could still straighten the hair but it would have a curve to it - does that make sense :blush:

(thank you)

Yes i get what you mean! I dont know bt you could sell your idea to someone! I'll have to take 5% though, you know, as advisors rights!!!
:flower:

Lory
17th-October-2004, 11:00 PM

Do the do a ceramic straightner that you can recommend that is round or isn't there such a thing ? (a bit like tongs but in ceramic)I DO know exactly what you mean ;) I'm afraid it all comes down to technique!

Believe it or not, I can actually make hair have a curl at the end or a flick with 'straighteners' yes, Straighteners! :waycool: And one can also straighten hair with tongs, (although it wouldn't be good for you hair) :sick:

I should have added in my last post, it is vital to keep your Straighteners VERY clean, if you straighten your hair with any traces of hairspray or mouse in your hair, it will leave a residue on them which will render the non-stick of the ceramic useless! You should clean them with soft cotton wool and soapy water.

Yliander
18th-October-2004, 07:17 AM
I DO know exactly what you mean ;) I'm afraid it all comes down to technique!

Believe it or not, I can actually make hair have a curl at the end or a flick with 'straighteners' yes, Straighteners! :waycool: I can do this :clap: well the curl under at the end bit at least - the flick out err ummm :sick:

discovered the subtle curl under is easier as my hair got longer - it a case of gently turning the straightners towards you as the straightners come off the ends of the hair....

drathzel
18th-October-2004, 08:28 AM
I can do this :clap: well the curl under at the end bit at least - the flick out err ummm :sick:

discovered the subtle curl under is easier as my hair got longer - it a case of gently turning the straightners towards you as the straightners come off the ends of the hair....

well done!!! :clap: :clap: