PDA

View Full Version : Good moaning

DianaS
16th-October-2004, 03:03 PM
This thread is for poorly folk to meet and share their sneezes.
and whine about being ill and not being able to dance.
Good moaning :tears:
D

Jive Brummie
16th-October-2004, 03:09 PM
Melanie and I have both been rough recently *cough* *splutter*.

sympathetic "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", after 3......1,2,3........now!

A cold turned into a cough then sinus trouble then a throat infection :sick:

But after a course of amoxycillin, the anti biotic of choice ( :clap: ), we're feeling better....and managed our step class this morning...hoorah!

JB & FC *wheeze*

DianaS
16th-October-2004, 03:58 PM
Melanie and I have both been rough recently *cough* *splutter*.

sympathetic "arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", after 3......1,2,3........now!

A cold turned into a cough then sinus trouble then a throat infection :sick:

But after a course of amoxycillin, the anti biotic of choice ( :clap: ), we're feeling better....and managed our step class this morning...hoorah!

JB & FC *wheeze*

aaaach ya poor things. Did you steam your selves???
Sorry to hear you'd been ill - congrats on getting back into classes!

Terrible time of year for dancers, one infection after another. I refure to be combed nby any one with a red shiny nosr
Self protection don't yo know!

baldrick
16th-October-2004, 04:03 PM
Sorry to hear you no feelin well. That snuffly runny nose thing is a pet hate. Had it last week but seem to be throwing it off (watch me die tomorrrow).
Get well soon. :hug:

Graham
16th-October-2004, 04:46 PM
(watch me die tomorrrow).
Where? Are there still tickets? :wink:

drathzel
16th-October-2004, 05:21 PM

£5 a ticket... make cheques payable to Miss D Rathzel

only joking baldrick!!!
xxx

I'm girly not well and my sinus are bad!!! But i am always ill, if there is a bug going i normally have it!!!

I send out my sympathies to all the ill dancers out there!!!

:hug: :hug: :hug:

DianaS
16th-October-2004, 06:47 PM
£5 a ticket... make cheques payable to Miss D Rathzel

only joking baldrick!!!
xxx

I'm girly not well and my sinus are bad!!! But i am always ill, if there is a bug going i normally have it!!!

I send out my sympathies to all the ill dancers out there!!!

Thanks for the hug Drazel
:hug:

drathzel
16th-October-2004, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the hug Drazel

thats ok, feel better soon!! xxxx :hug:

baldrick
16th-October-2004, 09:13 PM
Nope but for a simple one off subcription a live internet feed will be avalible. Live baldrick sneezing on camera. :sick:

MartinHarper
18th-October-2004, 02:17 PM
I took this Thurs, Fri, Mon off work to go to a Lindy event - my sniffles started on Wednesday afternoon at work, and I think I'll be just about back to normal for work on Tuesday... my immune system must have taken the weekend off as well. :-(

Didn't stop me dancing, of course. :)

Andy McGregor
18th-October-2004, 02:51 PM
I took this Thurs, Fri, Mon off work to go to a Lindy event - my sniffles started on Wednesday afternoon at work, and I think I'll be just about back to normal for work on Tuesday... my immune system must have taken the weekend off as well. :-(

And I hope you didn't spend too much time passing on you germs in confined spaces with other dancers - like lifts for instance :whistle:

Minnie M
18th-October-2004, 05:54 PM
And I hope you didn't spend too much time passing on you germs in confined spaces with other dancers - like lifts for instance :whistle:

:rofl: you cheeky person Andy :rofl:

jivecat
18th-October-2004, 09:04 PM
You poor little things! Hope you're eating your eight a day and taking a vitamin&mineral supplement. Get well soon.

DianaS
18th-October-2004, 09:48 PM

Didn't stop me dancing, of course. :)
That is SO antisocial!
Dancing with the sniffles, where did you wipe that nose!
I stayed at home all week, have been bored out of my brains and cursing the development of telly..And I still feel too wiped out to dance
Its all me me me me me
I hate myself when I'm poorly :(

DianaS
18th-October-2004, 09:50 PM
Too true! Nasty germy places full of unsavoury sorts
And ususally wee too! Urrgh :sick:

baldrick
19th-October-2004, 12:26 AM
That is SO antisocial!
Dancing with the sniffles, where did you wipe that nose!
I stayed at home all week, have been bored out of my brains and cursing the development of telly..And I still feel too wiped out to dance
Its all me me me me me
I hate myself when I'm poorly :(
Weel as antcipated i started snuffling sunday evening and am still at it. :(
Will just have to dance it off tomorrow.

Gadget
19th-October-2004, 08:40 AM
Well my theory is that dancing increases the heart rate, more blood flow, getting the anti-body's round your system faster. It also heats up your body and makes it harder for the illness to resist.
If I had a cold, I used to go swimming and it was gone the next day. I really think that excercise sweats it out of me. (I try not to sneaze or wipe of nose unless in the bathroom where hands can be washed.:sick:)

DianaS
19th-October-2004, 10:17 AM
Well my theory is that dancing increases the heart rate, more blood flow, getting the anti-body's round your system faster. It also heats up your body and makes it harder for the illness to resist.
If I had a cold, I used to go swimming and it was gone the next day. I really think that excercise sweats it out of me. (I try not to sneaze or wipe of nose unless in the bathroom where hands can be washed.:sick:)
I agree with you Gadget unfortunately, my legs wouldn't work and although my mind was willing, oh so willing, I couldn't get my body to do much at all!
When I was training we were told to keep away until we were back up to speed and let the body use its resources to heal. Then go back to training.
Also dancing with a cold it so horrid if people breath on you, they can't held breathing heavily but you can smell it! Urrghhh. And the hands are so germy....

ToeTrampler
19th-October-2004, 11:57 AM
Regarding colds:
Is this not about just giving the same basic courtesy to others that would be given with a subject such as cleanliness?. If it is bad etiquette to turn up with B.O. and inflict this upon dance partners/victims*, is it not equally bad to turn up and inflict rampant germs upon them?

It is frustrating to miss a class (especially if you haven’t been for a while) because of a cold – we all need a bit of cheering up during a cold after all – but isn’t the alternative of going to a class and spreading it around (the cold I mean :whistle: ) just a bit too selfish. I have missed a number of classes (as I am sure many others have) because I have been late from work and would have been unable to shower before going – my choice not to inflict a days worth of grime and B.O. on others. Frustrating? You bet. The right thing to do? IMHO, yes definitely. Should it really be any different with a bad cold?

Having recently been offered a ‘freshly’ sneeeezed upon hand (no wiping or tissues involved :sick: ) during class I can honestly say that the experience of accepting the hand was no more pleasant than the (thankfully very, very rare :) ) occasions that I have experienced B.O. from a dance partner.

* delete as appropriate :D

drathzel
19th-October-2004, 12:34 PM
Weel as antcipated i started snuffling sunday evening and am still at it. :(
Will just have to dance it off tomorrow.

Dont come too close! :mad:

Lynn
19th-October-2004, 12:35 PM
I think I might have a cold… either that or an allergy, my sinuses are playing up and I have a headache. Haven’t had a cold for a year or two so if I have one I will sit at home feeling sorry for myself and going through a lot of tissues. No dancing to go to, but if there was I too would be wary about passing on germs. If I have cold of course, which I might not. I’ll find out in the next day or so!

drathzel
19th-October-2004, 01:28 PM
I think I might have a cold… either that or an allergy, my sinuses are playing up and I have a headache. Haven’t had a cold for a year or two so if I have one I will sit at home feeling sorry for myself and going through a lot of tissues. No dancing to go to, but if there was I too would be wary about passing on germs. If I have cold of course, which I might not. I’ll find out in the next day or so!

Big cuddles :hug: Take care!

DianaS
19th-October-2004, 01:34 PM
Mine were hurting too (no details too gross!)Do steam your self It will help reduce swelling and infection in the sinuses! and leave your skin all hot and tingly :flower: and may mean you don't need to hit antibiotics later on as well
Feel better Love Di :hug:

drathzel
19th-October-2004, 01:38 PM
Mine were hurting too (no details too gross!)Do steam your self It will help reduce swelling and infection in the sinuses! and leave your skin all hot and tingly :flower: and may mean you don't need to hit antibiotics later on as well
Feel better Love Di :hug:
I swear by this when i have a cold or sinus are playing up! Put a little drop of olbis oil, it will help 10x's more!! :flower:

baldrick
28th-October-2004, 07:49 PM
Darn it all. Of all the threads to be rereading to pick up hints on how to cope, I'd hoped this one could be avoided. Now where'd I leave the olbis stuff? (snuffle) :(

Magic Hans
28th-October-2004, 11:24 PM

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Plus a good hot spicy meal with plenty of garlic and chillies!! [if you can take it!]

That's my recipe, and I just got the sniff of a sniffle, and seem to have snuffed it out .... with a pack of crystalised ginger!!

[ .... won't help halloween though, so I'll have to use make-up to make me look half dead .... hopefully with black eye liner, lipstick, nail varnish and white face paint!!! ...]

Ian

MartinHarper
29th-October-2004, 12:14 AM
is it not equally bad to turn up and inflict rampant germs upon them?

I was helping other people improve their immune systems - they should have paid me to sneeze on them! :)

In all seriousness, that's a fair point, and I wouldn't go dancing if I had a serious cold, flu, diarrhea, etc - anything that would make me take a day off work. On the other hand, I don't see much of a problem dancing with a mild cold. I try to make an effort to avoid spreading germs - eg washing my hands beforehand, sneezing into my elbow (any other tips?).

Lynn
29th-October-2004, 08:38 AM
I think I might have a cold… either that or an allergy Didn't turn out to be a cold after all!

NB - for anyone else with sinus trouble - do you know that certain foods can make it worse? I heard anything with 'acid' eg lactic acid in milk. I find if my sinuses are bad and I eat chocolate, milky tea, fizzy drinks etc, they get worse very quickly (only happens if they are already sore) so I avoid certain foods for a few days.

drathzel
1st-November-2004, 09:58 AM
Didn't turn out to be a cold after all!

NB - for anyone else with sinus trouble - do you know that certain foods can make it worse? I heard anything with 'acid' eg lactic acid in milk. I find if my sinuses are bad and I eat chocolate, milky tea, fizzy drinks etc, they get worse very quickly (only happens if they are already sore) so I avoid certain foods for a few days.

i dont drink fizzy juice or milk in my tea or coffee! So i am usually ok where my foods are concerned. I find my sinus are only bad at the change of the season or if the weather is really mixed up! :hug:

Northants Girly
26th-March-2005, 11:54 PM
A warning and a request for sympathy . . . .

On Good Friday afternoon I was sitting here at my computer scoffing a ham sandwich when some mayonaise jumped out of it and landed all over my keyboard. I was chatting with a "friend" (mentioning no names) on MSN at the time and I followed their instructions on how to prise my keyboard keys off in order to clean them . . . . .
. . . . . until the key I was trying to prise off shot up into my right eye! :eek:

It hurt like HELL! An hour later my eye was still hurting lilke HELL! :tears:

My "friend" (now feeling rather guilty) came round and drove me to my local A & E dept. The Dr there tested the vision in my right eye - he said "read the letters on this line of this board" - I couldn't even focus on his bloody fingers and so told him I couldn't see which line of letters he was pointing to ("friend" thought this was hilarious).

Anyway, it turned out I had received a cut and graze to my cornea and a patch was applied over my eye - and I was told to leave the eye patch on for 4 days! ("friend" was now in stitches)

No driving, no dancing . . . no Jive Aces at Banbury on Friday eve . . .
I stayed in all on my own with a bottle of red wine . . . :sad:

I've heard pirate jokes for 2 days now - so unless you have an original one don't bother!

However, messages of sympathy, boxes of chocs etc would all be greatfully received!

NG x

Gadget
27th-March-2005, 12:35 AM
I was chatting with a "friend" . . .
Computer chatting is more dangerous than dancing? :what: Since I can chat more than dance, that puts me in a higher risk group! Oh No!! I'm doomed! :tears:

{PS - :flower:}

Trousers
27th-March-2005, 12:41 AM
messages of sympathy

NG x

Awwwwwwww Didummms Mayonaise in sandwiches will kill you! Here is the evidence

Lory
27th-March-2005, 12:53 AM
No driving, no dancing . . . no Jive Aces at Banbury on Friday eve . . .
I stayed in all on my own with a bottle of red wine . . . :sad:

Very sorry to hear that N H Girly! :hug:

If it makes you feel any better, my kids and I came down with some horrible bug yesterday, which meant I had to miss going to the theatre last night, (Mr Lory was none too pleased, as tickets were £70EACH :mad: ) and today, Holly and I missed the Latin workshop we were so looking forward to aswel :tears: :tears: :tears:

Rhythm King
27th-March-2005, 07:00 PM
I'm sorry, but why does wearing an eyepatch stop you dancing? You obviously aren't addicted enough!!!

Little Monkey
27th-March-2005, 09:06 PM
Ooooooh, a thread just to moan!! Wow!

Firstly:
AAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW To everyone who's still ill, have the sniffles, wear eye-patches etc. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Then a plea for sympathy (but keep yer chocs, I'm big enough already!!), as I'm struggling with a bad back (sciatica), and have been in pain for over two months now, although I've still been dancing. Large doses of Ibuprofen gets me through the night, but I'm sure this ain't too good for my back. I've finally thrown in the towel, and am going to see my GP on Tuesday. Just hoping he won't ban me from dancing for any lenght of time..... :(

And at the same time, my wee doggie has hurt her leg, and is not allowed walkies, nor walking up or down stairs, so I have to carry her down to the garden. Luckily she only weighs 15 kgs, but still.... We're both going bonkers from lack of walkies and fresh air!!! :tears:

Think it's time to start Pilates...... :(

LM

Still going to Mardi's tomorrow night, tho!!! Where's my dance, Franck? :D

skippy
27th-March-2005, 09:23 PM
Ooooooh, a thread just to moan!! Wow!

And at the same time, my wee doggie has hurt her leg, and is not allowed walkies, nor walking up or down stairs, so I have to carry her down to the garden. Luckily she only weighs 15 kgs, but still.... We're both going bonkers from lack of walkies and fresh air!!! :tears:

Think it's time to start Pilates...... :(

LM

Still going to Mardi's tomorrow night, tho!!! Where's my dance, Franck? :D

What about Southport????? :really:
Poor doggie, :tears: I remember when my first dog couln't go out for about a week and it seemed so wrong but he bouced back and is more energic than ever!!! :clap: :clap:
Happy days ahead I'm sure of it. :kiss: :hug:

As for the common cold: when I started working in my job which is in temperatures between 7 degrees and 15 degrees I got soooooooo........
many colds that I resorted to taking VitC, it worked. feeling much better these days. :clap:

Little Monkey
27th-March-2005, 09:34 PM
What about Southport????? :really:
Poor doggie, :tears:

Hah! NOTHING (Little Monkey frantically touching all the wood she can find) will stop me from dancing at Southport!!!!!!! :eek: Hey, I'm even bringing my own doctor, so will have my own supply of prescription painkillers and help at hand if it all goes pear-shaped! :rofl: :rofl:

LM

Dance Demon
27th-March-2005, 09:34 PM
Then a plea for sympathy (but keep yer chocs, I'm big enough already!!), as I'm struggling with a bad back (sciatica), and have been in pain for over two months now, although I've still been dancing. Large doses of Ibuprofen gets me through the night, but I'm sure this ain't too good for my back. I've finally thrown in the towel, and am going to see my GP on Tuesday. Just hoping he won't ban me from dancing for any lenght of time.....

Find yourself a good Chiropracter.....Mrs DD suffered for ages with Sciatica, and all her GP gave her was pain Killers and some general back excercises...which didn't help a lot. then she paid a visit to a Chiropracter, and her problems are all solved now. It can be a bit expensive...( £23 for 15min session :eek: )...but well worth it as a bad back is very restrictive....

skippy
27th-March-2005, 09:40 PM
Hah! NOTHING (Little Monkey frantically touching all the wood she can find) will stop me from dancing at Southport!!!!!!! :eek: Hey, I'm even bringing my own doctor, so will have my own supply of prescription painkillers and help at hand if it all goes pear-shaped! :rofl: :rofl:

LM

will he be able to service us all!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :devil:

Little Monkey
27th-March-2005, 09:42 PM
Find yourself a good Chiropracter.....Mrs DD suffered for ages with Sciatica, and all her GP gave her was pain Killers and some general back excercises...which didn't help a lot. then she paid a visit to a Chiropracter, and her problems are all solved now. It can be a bit expensive...( £23 for 15min session :eek: )...but well worth it as a bad back is very restrictive....

Well, the money is a bit of an issue...... :(

Have had a bad back for about 16 years, and have been to physio (no help what so ever), done back exercises (same result as physio), and been on lots of painkillers. I try to stay really active, and the best help for my back has been (in the past) to go to the gym on a regular basis. My mum suffers from sciatica, too, and did got to see a chiropracter. Unfortunately she had the opposite result from Mrs DD, and was in agony! So I'm a bit hesitant, really....

Anyone know where I can buy more days to add to my week? :D

LM

Tiggerbabe
27th-March-2005, 09:51 PM
Still going to Mardi's tomorrow night, tho!!!
GOOD!!!!!!! :hug:

Little Monkey
27th-March-2005, 10:09 PM
will he be able to service us all!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :devil:

Oooooooh! He'll be in demand, I see! :rofl: He'll be tired after that weekend, then.... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Whitebeard
28th-March-2005, 01:29 AM
..... I'm struggling with a bad back (sciatica) .....
I know sciatica usually originates in the lower back and shoots down a leg. I've been there and know how excruciating it can be.

But, in my case, I'm coming to believe that an operation to insert a graft to replace an aneurism of the abdominal aorta is somehow responsible for the irritation of that bunch of nerves which serves the leg.

In the past I've been reduced to crawling, of a morning, down the hallway of my bungalow, from the bedroom to the back door, to release three hyped up and salivating lurchers out into the back garden. They've parted the curtains at the french windows and eyeballed rabbits (Easter bunnies ?) hopping around the garden. Around this time of year there are young ones, not yet experienced and garden-wise, which fall prey to the dogs. Down they go, that's nature, fur and scrunching bones alike. Our pets, at heart, are still wild animals.

A free meal.

At least, unlike cats, they don't torment and play around with their catch.

Just rabbiting along, funny how one thing leads to another.

Lory
28th-March-2005, 12:01 PM
IThey've parted the curtains at the french windows and eyeballed rabbits (Easter bunnies ?) hopping around the garden. Around this time of year there are young ones, not yet experienced and garden-wise, which fall prey to the dogs. Down they go, that's nature, fur and scrunching bones alike. Our pets, at heart, are still wild animals.

A free meal.

At least, unlike cats, they don't torment and play around with their catch.

Like I said, I've not been very well, got a Bug, of the feeling SICK variety! So Whitebeard, thanks for that, you've made me feel a whole lot better :eek: :sick: :rofl:

Little Monkey
28th-March-2005, 02:14 PM
Like I said, I've not been very well, got a Bug, of the feeling SICK variety! So Whitebeard, thanks for that, you've made me feel a whole lot better :eek: :sick: :rofl:
:yeah:
Now I don't just have a sore back, I'm feeling rather sick too!! :(
My dear collie doesn't chase rabbits. Maybe she thinks it's too boring, as she could easily manage to catch one?? She does however go after squirrels (even tries to climb the trees! :rofl: ) and mountain hares. And if she manages to catch up with one, she gets very confused, and just looks at it as if to say: "Oi! Run! Don't you know this game?? It's no fun if you stop!!!".

LM

Piglet
28th-March-2005, 04:14 PM
if she manages to catch up with one, she gets very confused, and just looks at it as if to say: "Oi! Run! Don't you know this game?? It's no fun if you stop!!!".

LM

My collie too! She wants to play not eat them! And she's even tried to run up a tree after a squirrel - she managed to get a third of the way up before gravity won. I was well impressed!

Hope everyone is feeling better :flower: - 2 things I've found great for colds are a lemon sherbet that you dissolve on your tongue - really good for sore throats :drool: (am I allowed to put trade names on here?) and a Vapobath bubble bath by the people that make things for rubbing on your chest - 'TIS BRILLIANT!

Little Monkey
28th-March-2005, 05:52 PM
My collie too! She wants to play not eat them! And she's even tried to run up a tree after a squirrel - she managed to get a third of the way up before gravity won. I was well impressed!

Gosh, they must be related!!

The funniest thing I've ever seen, was when Troll (my collie) chased a squirrel that - instead of running up the tree - ran up a few inches, then circled the tree trunk at full speed. Troll followed around a couple of times, then just sat down to enjoy the entertainment with a bemused look on her face. :rofl: I nearly collapsed on the ground laughing, particularly when the poor squirrel (after running round and round and getting too dizzy??) fell off the tree! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aaaaah, who needs a tv when you've got a dog??? :D Speaking of which.... Must go to the vet and pick her up.... She's just had her hips x-rayed, and is in the process of waking up, poor thing.

LM

Little Monkey
28th-March-2005, 05:55 PM
GOOD!!!!!!! :hug:

Aaaawwwww, thanks! See you tonight, drugged to my eyeballs! :D :hug:

LM

drathzel
28th-March-2005, 07:09 PM
Gosh, they must be related!!

The funniest thing I've ever seen, was when Troll (my collie) chased a squirrel that - instead of running up the tree - ran up a few inches, then circled the tree trunk at full speed. Troll followed around a couple of times, then just sat down to enjoy the entertainment with a bemused look on her face. :rofl: I nearly collapsed on the ground laughing, particularly when the poor squirrel (after running round and round and getting too dizzy??) fell off the tree! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aaaaah, who needs a tv when you've got a dog??? :D Speaking of which.... Must go to the vet and pick her up.... She's just had her hips x-rayed, and is in the process of waking up, poor thing.

LM

Ah, the regaling of doggy stories! All i can say is staffies are more entertaining that most things legal!

Any Way back on topic! If anyone knows how to get rid of pre new job tummy cramps please let me know. I start tom and i am in knots!

P.S About that extra day... if you find out where to buy them, please please let me know! I would especially like one of those weekend types! However i suspect that you can buy them in the shop where they also sell all the good men! :rofl:

Little Monkey
28th-March-2005, 08:10 PM
Any Way back on topic! If anyone knows how to get rid of pre new job tummy cramps please let me know. I start tom and i am in knots!
[QUOTE/]

Lots and lots of cuddles! But then you'd need a) a nice man, or b) a cuddly dog or cat...... Hmmmmmmm.... Hot water bottle and a shot of something strong? :wink:

[QUOTE]
P.S About that extra day... if you find out where to buy them, please please let me know! I would especially like one of those weekend types! However i suspect that you can buy them in the shop where they also sell all the good men! :rofl:

Yeah, I suspect so, too. Alongside gorgeous dance partners........ :sad:

LM

Whitebeard
28th-March-2005, 11:13 PM
Like I said, I've not been very well, got a Bug, of the feeling SICK variety! So Whitebeard, thanks for that, you've made me feel a whole lot better.
Sorry about that Lory, I should stop to think before rabbiting on (and after your kind thought as well - have one back).

Keep 'em short and snappy tonight me lad.

Whitebeard
28th-March-2005, 11:21 PM
They won't let me do that. Apparently I've got to spread it around a bit first. If only real life were like that. Anyway I'll try to find some other worthy ones besides you.

Piglet
29th-March-2005, 01:17 PM
If anyone knows how to get rid of pre new job tummy cramps please let me know.

You should have just ceroced the night away until you fell asleep!

Hope your day in your new job is an enjoyable one and that the tummy cramps are long gone by now! :flower:

Little Monkey
29th-March-2005, 04:37 PM
Hmmmmm....

Just been to see my GP about my back pain..... And was told I'm not allowed to lift anything even remotely heavy, or bend my back. And he doesn't want me to work! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Somehow, I forgot to mention to him that I dance at least twice a week.... Ooops... :whistle: But maybe I need to take a break... :(

Me and my back have now been referred to a neuro-surgeon. And my dog has to go and see an orthopedic specialist!!!! Oi, who has jinxed us???? :mad:

Hugs needed.......

Sad Little Monkey :(

baldrick
29th-March-2005, 06:24 PM
Hugs needed.......

HUGS

I hurt all over,but then I paddled 3 rivers in two days at weekend.
Self inflicted, guess i don't qualify for sympathy
:clap:

Little Monkey
29th-December-2005, 02:21 PM
Right, just have to moan a bit again, and guess this is the place to do it...

Just back from seeing my GP. Had to go today to see if I could get something to help the nerve pain in my back and legs, as the meds I'm on at the moment don't work very well. Also wanted to know if there were any more news re a possible back operation. I had my MRI scan in September, and although my GP surgery had the results the following week, the GP I saw last time was reluctant to tell me much at all.

Today I was finally told I'm not 'bad enough' for an operation. I have two discs that are protruding slightly and showing signs of degeneration and arthritis, causing sciatica in my left leg. And I have another disc which is protruding a lot, which casues sciatica into my right leg.

In the past two years I've had to give up most of the sports that I have enjoyed (kayaking, hillwalking, skiing, climbing), have had to stop taxi dancing, no longer go to the weekly ceroc classes, and can't always dance or demo tango which I try to do every Wednesday. And when I do make it to tango, I normally leave in pain. In addition I can only work a few hours a week before my back collapses, long journeys (by car, train, bus or flying) are torture, and I lose a lot of sleep due to pain, as well as missing out on my normal social life due to the pain. Most of my income is benefits, as I can't work.:(

Apparently none of the things listed above makes me 'bad enough' for an operation. But at the same time the doctors tell me I can't have physio, see a chiropractor, do pilates or get any other treatment, as it will most likely damage my back further. But they still want me to 'stay active' (although I'm not allowed to do sports or get physio!), so I'm allowed 'gentle walks', and have got prescriptions for tons of new drugs. Lovely.:sick:

So; I'm not bad enough for an op, but can't have any other treatment, and they don't think there's a chance of my back getting better either. Hooray! Time to jump off a tall building, I wonder?

After that rather depressing appointment, I went and did some shopping therapy (I discovered I had a bit extra money that I hadn't counted on this month, hooray!). Got myself a gorgeous pair of really wide legged designer trousers, reduced from £135 to £40!!:clap: And Sparkles - they're not black!!!:eek:

Now, send some hugs my way, or I'll sit in a corner and rock and cry!

And save me lots of gentle bluesey dances!!!! Hope my back will be better by the next FL tea dance!

Depressed Little Monkey

LMC
29th-December-2005, 02:32 PM
Aw :( :hug: (gentle)

Have you tried any alternative therapies or something really gentle like hatha yoga? - I'm sure you've looked into *everything* but since you haven't mentioned it - maybe some of the knowledgeable complementary medicine peeps on here can help?

Hope you're feeling better soon - in yourself as well as the back :hug: :flower:

ducasi
29th-December-2005, 03:12 PM
Big hug for a Little Monkey... http://bestsmileys.com/hugging/1.gif

JonD
29th-December-2005, 03:50 PM
My Business Partner, Ann, had a similar helpful diagnosis on her knee. About 8 years ago, when she was in her early 40s, she was told that her right knee was severely arthritic and that she'd be in a wheelchair within 5 years - but, even if that happened, she'd be too young for a knee replacement. Eventually, after much badgering, she got to see the best consultant in the area (she did a fair bit of research to find out who to see). He did an arthroscopy and then designed some orthotics for her. She still gets a bit of pain but she dances Salsa, has just started MJ and wants to take up AT. (She's ex Ballet Rambert - hence the damaged knee). As we sit and shivver she's on a yoga holiday in southern India.

I'm sure you've done the research, know the best "back consultant" in the UK and have tried to get an appointment. It's worth keeping going at them - complain, jump up and down, scream, write to your MP: make it easier for them to get you an appointment than to refuse. I'm sure that there's a specialist out there who knows how to treat you, at least to ease the problem but it can take the patience of a saint and the aggression of Attilla the Hun to get to see them!

I can't suggest any alternative therapies for backs but I'm sure there are some good ones out there, along with the expensive useless ones!

Poor Little Monkey! What a horrible situation. Tons and tons of sympathy and hugs and healing and strength.

David Bailey
29th-December-2005, 04:05 PM
I'm sure you've done the research, know the best "back consultant" in the UK and have tried to get an appointment. It's worth keeping going at them - complain, jump up and down, scream, write to your MP: make it easier for them to get you an appointment than to refuse. I'm sure that there's a specialist out there who knows how to treat you, at least to ease the problem but it can take the patience of a saint and the aggression of Attilla the Hun to get to see them!.
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
I couldn't agree more - you've got to whinge, shout, etc. - take your local health authority to court, in extreme cases. Maybe consult a solicitor?

Having a constant pain is the worst thing, it just gets you so down mentally as well as physically. Anyway, also many gentle :hug: to you.

Little Monkey
29th-December-2005, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys!

Very nice with some sympathy, even better with some useful advice added!:flower:

LMC - what's hatha yoga? Never heard of it! I have done a wee bit of yoga in the past, and a wee bit of pilates, but had to stop both, as the strain on my back was too big. Any exercises where I have to lie on my back (or sit or stand) and raise my legs, or do any type of abdominal crucnches, seem to really irritate the injured area and make the nerve canals inflamed again. Any tips for good exercises for my abs and back would be extremely helpful, as I'd like to stay as fit and strong as possible!

And no, JohnD, I don't actually know the best consultants, who to talk to or complain to, or what to do, other than keep going back to my GP complaining and crying. I do have another appointment at the neurosurgery clinic in February, and I intend to write a journal of what makes my back 'collapse', how many things I've had to stop doing (incl. work!), and how this pain is stopping me from living a full and active life. I'm only 31, dammit!!!!:mad: I absilutely bloody refuse to give up!!!!!!!!

Thanks again for all the hugs, sympathy and helpful advice! I have a friend who practices reiki, and who also does lots of types of massage (aromatherapy, sports, shiatsu, indian head massage...... You name it, she's got certificates in most of them!!). Maybe I should try weekly reiki and massage sessions with her, just to see if it might have some beneficial effect on my back at all? Not sure if I really believe the reiki will help, but it can't hurt to try?? I did see a healer years and years ago, after my back collapsed completely, and I hadn't been able to walk without crutches and excruciating pain for several days. He worked on me for two hours, and I walked out of there, carrying my cruthches and able to straighten my back!!!:eek:

If you see me at a dance venue you frequent, please do come and ask me for a dance (although I only do slow tracks!), but please don't get offended if I turn you down if my back is too bad! Hugs to all: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2005, 06:10 PM
My advice for Little Monkey is to change your GP. Then get your new GP to refer you to a different consultant at a different hospital. You don't even need to speak to your current GP to do this, you just need to go to your the GP you've chosen and register. And so long as there's room on their list you will get taken on.

And how do you find a good GP? That's the hard bit. Ask around. Maybe some of the guys on the forum could recommend someone.

As far as alternative therapies are concerned I would be very careful. Those involving any kind of manipulation could exacerbate your condition. Years ago I ran workshops for GPs on back pain and have had loads of feedback from them regarding treatments. The first thing to remember is that a GP whose had your condition is likely to take it much more seriously:eek: I regularly received feedback that isometric exercises designed to strengthen the back are a great help. Simple exercises like lying on your tummy, lifting your shoulders/chest and holding the position are helpful as are gentle exercises designed to strengthen the stomach muscles - I'm sure there are lists of exercises on the net somewhere but try to find a reputable source. And, the most important thing to remember is that you should stop if it hurts :tears:

Little Monkey
29th-December-2005, 06:33 PM
My advice for Little Monkey is to change your GP.

I have thought about this, but I really do like my current GP - and she does take my back problems seriously. Maybe I just have to nag more, cry more, lie down on the floor and kick my legs, bang my head and scream??? I dunno..... I think I give in too easily...... Maybe I should take someone with me next time, and let them tell the GP exactly how much I suffer??

As far as alternative therapies are concerned I would be very careful. Those involving any kind of manipulation could exacerbate your condition.

Which is why I wouldn't go anywhere near any of them! My friend who does the massage and reiki will not touch anything around the injured areas, because she knows she could easily make it worse by massaging/ manipulating that area! I also steer clear of chiropractors etc, for the same reason.

I regularly received feedback that isometric exercises designed to strengthen the back are a great help. Simple exercises like lying on your tummy, lifting your shoulders/chest and holding the position are helpful as are gentle exercises designed to strengthen the stomach muscles - I'm sure there are lists of exercises on the net somewhere but try to find a reputable source. And, the most important thing to remember is that you should stop if it hurts :tears:

Exercises like that generally hurt a lot, and make me worse....... :( Also the one where you lie on your tummy and raise left arm and right leg, and then the opposite arm and leg........ I think the very basic Pilates exercises, where you simply lie flat on your back with your feet on the floor, and then concentrate on breathing and tensing the deep abdominal muscles, might be good........? Any experts on Pilates or any physios out there who might have some advice on this?? I really do need to tone and strengthen my abs and back muscles!

LM :flower: :hug:

LMC
29th-December-2005, 07:15 PM
Hatha yoga is just a really gentle form of yoga - you go into and out of the poses s-l-o-w-l-y - so less risk of wrenching muscles. And you spend quite a lot of time lying on your back and focussing on breathing. So if you found some of the basic Pilates exercises helped then hatha might work for you.

Maybe worth paying for just one hour of a sports physio's time to go through some good exercises with you, rather than waiting for the NHS?

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2005, 07:43 PM
I have thought about this, but I really do like my current GP - and she does take my back problems seriously.Healthcare is very much about outcomes. The outcome of going to a friendly GP who denys you treatment is that you don't get treated but enjoy your (regular/frequent) visits. The outcome of a visit to an unfriendly GP who gives you the correct treatment is that you don't see very much of that GP because you are cured.

Consider the outcomes and make your choice. At the moment you know the outcome is no treatment and sympathy. If you like that stick with the GP you've got :tears:

Little Monkey
29th-December-2005, 08:30 PM
Consider the outcomes and make your choice. At the moment you know the outcome is no treatment and sympathy. If you like that stick with the GP you've got :tears:

If she doesn't help me by referring me to another specialist, I will try to see another GP. But I'm still waiting for my next appointment at the neurosurgery clinic (which she referred me to), and want to see what happens there before I do anything else. If they don't want to help me, and my GP won't do anything but give me more drugs, I shall have to find another GP/ consultant who might be able to help.

In the meantime, I shall pester all my medic friends to see if they know any good specialists, and if they can point me in the direction of what to do/ who to contact.

jivecat
31st-December-2005, 03:00 PM
And no, JohnD, I don't actually know the best consultants, who to talk to or complain to, or what to do, other than keep going back to my GP complaining and crying. I do have another appointment at the neurosurgery clinic in February, and I intend to write a journal of what makes my back 'collapse', how many things I've had to stop doing (incl. work!), and how this pain is stopping me from living a full and active life. I'm only 31, dammit!!!!:mad: I absilutely bloody refuse to give up!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your back, LM, it sounds completely grim. I would advise making as much fuss as possible, having tantrums, changing your GP, asking for second opinions, and not giving up. Try to establish how bad your back would have to be before they would consider operating and making them give you a time scale for how long you would have to wait. Persistent pain, even relatively mild, is very debilitating and I personally don't think it is reasonable to have to live with it for more than a few months - are they hoping it will gradually heal by itself without an op? If not, ask what is their justification for withholding treatment.
Might private treatment be an option? I don't generally support it but after all, you only get one chance at life, and in extreme cases it may be one way to get your life back on track.

Andy McGregor
31st-December-2005, 04:26 PM
I personally don't think it is reasonable to have to live with it for more than a few months - are they hoping it will gradually heal by itself without an op? When I've spoken with Orthopaedic Surgeons about back pain they've often commented that they have a high rate of no-shows for first appointments - especially if the wait is 6 months. And the reason for this is that patients have recovered, which is nice. Remember, these patients are being referred because the GP thinks they might need surgery. Bad backs do get better on their own. But only if you let them. Sometimes being a patient patient is the only answer. And compared to the risks associated with any operation it might be worth waiting 6 months to see if things resolve on their own.

Little Monkey
31st-December-2005, 05:35 PM
Bad backs do get better on their own. But only if you let them. Sometimes being a patient patient is the only answer. And compared to the risks associated with any operation it might be worth waiting 6 months to see if things resolve on their own.

I personally don't think it is reasonable to have to live with it for more than a few months - are they hoping it will gradually heal by itself without an op?

How's 17 years of pain?

I first injured my back when I was 14, and was at the time told it would never heal itself, and was told not to do sports, to wear a back brace with metal supports in it, and take lots of painkillers. I did this for a couple of years (and also went to physio for a year), but didn't get any better.

When I was 16 I decided enough was enough, and started going to the gym. My only rule was: If it hurts, stop. I got gradually better, and after a couple of years also started dancing and doing other sports. As long as I kept fit and healthy, I could control the back pain, and only occasionally did my back 'fall apart' (so at times I couldn't walk). I did have mild pain most of the time, even when doing well, but I could cope with it, and only used painkillers when it got bad.

Over the past couple of years, the back has become much worse, to the extent where the sports and exercise I did to keep my back strong and healthy, now seem to make it much worse instead. As mentioned earlier, I've had to give up on most of the sports I used to do, and only dance occasionally, and only to slow tracks and with people who won't hurt me. I also have at least 4 months every year when I can't work at all. It was after having severe pain for three months early this year I contacted my GP and pleaded for help, not just more painkillers. I waited 5 months for the initial appointment, then another month for the MRI scan (September), and am waiting for my next appointment in February. I'm no better, and it doesn't sound like the doctors think it will right itself either. I try to keep active by walking my dog every day, but at times I'm in so much pain I have to get friends to walk her for me. I have also experienced losing the function of my right leg whilst out walking the dog, and having to hold on to walls, fences and lamp-posts to drag myself home!:rofl:

Most days I'm in moderate pain, but can have weeks of only mild pain, and weeks of excruciating pain.

Hope this answers some questions.................

LMC
31st-December-2005, 05:41 PM
To hell with the MP, I'd be camped on the doorstep of No. 10.

Scream. Shout. You shouldn't have to live like this if something can be done and it's been long enough that they should get a move on now. :hug: Good luck

Little Monkey
31st-December-2005, 05:44 PM
To hell with the MP, I'd be camped on the doorstep of No. 10.

Scream. Shout. You shouldn't have to live like this if something can be done and it's been long enough that they should get a move on now. :hug: Good luck

Ah, see, it's probably mostly my fault that nothing has been done so far, as I've got a 'grin and bear it' attitude to life. I didn't start any serious moaning to my GP until March this year, and I'm still no good at kicking and screaming to be heard. Although I might seem slightly different on the forum.....:blush:

David Bailey
31st-December-2005, 10:44 PM
Ah, see, it's probably mostly my fault that nothing has been done so far, as I've got a 'grin and bear it' attitude to life. I didn't start any serious moaning to my GP until March this year, and I'm still no good at kicking and screaming to be heard. Although I might seem slightly different on the forum.....:blush:
See, if you were a man, you'd have kicked up enough fuss by now (screaming, yelling "The pain! The pain! I can't take the pain!" etc.) to get something done about it.

Whoever coined the phrase "He took it like a man" has never seen most men in even mild discomfort. About as true-to-life a saying as "Easy as taking candy from a baby" - have you tried to take candy from a baby? :eek:

Seriously, you should of course not put up with this one second longer. Change your GP, go private, take your health authority to court, whatever you need just do it.

Little Monkey
1st-January-2006, 12:54 AM
See, if you were a man, you'd have kicked up enough fuss by now (screaming, yelling "The pain! The pain! I can't take the pain!" etc.) to get something done about it.
Whoever coined the phrase "He took it like a man" has never seen most men in even mild discomfort.

take your health authority to court, whatever you need just do it.

Well, that wouldn't be too fair...... If I'd been kicking and screaming and pestering my GP every week for the past year(s), then yeah, maybe...... But as I've gritted my teeth and told myself 'I'll cope!', and not really actively tried to get help until this (yes, still 2005!) year, I think I'll give the 'be a bloody demanding, annoying and whingeing patient' way a try first. And then if I don't get heard.....:devil:

Little Monkey
29th-March-2006, 06:25 PM
Just seen my consultant again today, to discuss my scan results and what to do from here....

His very helpful advice was "Get used to living with pain!" :eek: :tears:

Apparently there's only a 30% success rate for operating on someone with my kind of injury, so at the moment that's not an option. However, the chances are that with time the injury will get worse, and can then be fixed by surgery.

I was given a loooooooooooooooooooong list of things I'm not allowed to do, which included nearly everything I love doing (like rock climbing, mountaineering, skiing, kayaking, etc etc etc). I asked if it's ok to continue dancing, and after hesitating for a looooong time, he said "only if it doesn't involve lots of twisting of the spine". Ho hum, WCS it is, then!:D

He was going to just let me go without offering any further help or advice at all, so I stamped my little feet and went into 'Stubborn Little Monkey Mode', until he referred me to physio!

So, at least a little bit of help. But not nice to be told that I should just get used to a life in pain! Must admit I had a bit of a cry when I got home. Felt rather pathetic, but am feeling a wee bit happier again now. At least the sun is shining! :clap:

ducasi
29th-March-2006, 07:28 PM
LM, have a hug... :hug:

Barry Shnikov
29th-March-2006, 10:38 PM
His very helpful advice was "Get used to living with pain!" :eek: :tears:
{snip}
But not nice to be told that I should just get used to a life in pain!

It always seems strange that doctors have no solution to offer for things like back pain, dermatitis, colds and so forth in an era when they can do heart and lung transplants and remove tumours from the base of the brain.

drathzel
29th-March-2006, 11:54 PM
It always seems strange that doctors have no solution to offer for things like back pain, dermatitis, colds and so forth in an era when they can do heart and lung transplants and remove tumours from the base of the brain.

:yeah: i was thinking the same thing today. I want know how america can eliminate certain "bugs" ie measles, or was it mumps, but we cant do anything like the same and we are tiny compared to them!

I reckon the cold should be illegal, as should flu, altho stomach bugs should be keep as they are great excuses for a sickie!

Little Monkey
30th-March-2006, 05:56 PM
LM, have a hug... :hug:

Thanks! Have one back! :hug:

Hope to catch you for a gentle dance sometime soon! :flower:

ducasi
30th-March-2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks! Have one back! :hug:

Hope to catch you for a gentle dance sometime soon! :flower:
Cheers Cathrine, hope to see you on Saturday. :nice: