PDA

View Full Version : Sweat Shirts

John S
20th-March-2002, 12:31 PM
Let's face facts, guys - we sweat. :tears: (And although of course ladies don't sweat, some do also glow a little).:wink:

It can't be very appealing for ladies to see this guy approaching them to ask for a dance, when he looks as if he's just been in the shower with his clothes on, so has anyone found the perfect shirt - ie one that will allow that perspiration to immediately evaporate without leaving a sodden mass for our poor partner's hand to splunge into every time she touches us?:sorry

Personally, the best shirts I have had were cheap cotton ones that I got in a closing down sale - they would last for about half an hour of solid dancing before they took on the character of a loaded sponge. But they're now getting a bit shapeless - please don't say they now fit me better. :sad:

I also have a couple of shirts (one made by Kangol and a microfibre one made by Casual Club) that are pretty good at staying dry on the outside, but they achieve this by keeping the perspiration in, so they are a bit like wetsuits on the inside - nice and dry for my partner to dance with, though. :nice:

Another thing I have tried with some success is the double layer approach - an inside shirt (to get wet) and a looser outer shirt - makes me feel overdressed though. :sad:

So has anyone got an answer?:what:

(Suspect I may not get quite as many requests for a dance after this email, so at least I'll get the chance to sit out and cool down - or change my shirt!!!) :waycool:

DavidB
20th-March-2002, 01:37 PM
The best shirts I've found are Greg Norman golf shirts. They do a range that are designed to breathe, but don't feel wet to the touch. I find they last about twice as long as normal cotton shirts.

David

John McAulay
20th-March-2002, 01:56 PM
As a norm I go thru 4 to 5 shirts a night

On a party night this goes up to 5 to 6

therefore a an authority on sweaty bloke syndrome

try the new range of microfibre shirts at ADSA

at £12 the do a good job, and are not a rip off

Gus
20th-March-2002, 10:00 PM
Try lycra ... I got my original one fomr River Island 2 yaers ago and it still works well.

M&S occaisioanly bring out lycra 'vests' which are far cheaper but also seem to perform well.

Franck
27th-March-2002, 04:02 AM
It is interesting that the women on the forum have stayed clear of the subject... :nice:
It would be interesting on your perspective though... Does Lycra feel nicer than cotton or polyester???
Are they all the same when wet anyway...:sick:

Are we deluding ourselves, and should we stick to (no pun intended) changing shirts as often as possible. :what: :sorry

Then again, maybe it is better not to know :sorry

Franck.

Amanda
27th-March-2002, 12:35 PM
OK - here's the token female response to this thread... Personally I'm not that fussed about what men wear and whether they sweat or not. Though the odd kilted outing would get most girls votes...

My personal gripes are:

1) Personal hygiene - sweaty is fine but smelly is most definitely not...
2) Vests - UUUUUGGGGGHHHH :sick: :sick:
Real vests (i.e the ones without arms) are the single biggest turn off to us girls. Trust me - we might not say it but this is a commonly expressed opinion.

Amanda

Franck
27th-March-2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Amanda
My personal gripes are:

Real vests (i.e the ones without arms) are the single biggest turn off to us girls. Trust me - we might not say it but this is a commonly expressed opinion.

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

Does that mean that when a man wears a kilt and a vest (Like the porridge man in the adverts), the 2 cancel each other out? :wink: :nice:

Franck.

Fox
27th-March-2002, 02:17 PM
2) Vests - UUUUUGGGGGHHHH

MMMmmmm...does that include thermal longjohns wiv catflap at the back??:D
Damn!!..I'll need to rethink me wardrobe....lol

Hehehehe
Fox
:wink:

Amanda
27th-March-2002, 02:47 PM
Franck

The difference with the porridge man is that he is a gorgeous hunk....

Franck
27th-March-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Amanda
Franck

Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify, it is not so much the vest you would be objecting to, but what's underneath... :wink: :nice:

Franck.

Amanda
27th-March-2002, 02:54 PM
Fair enough, I just wanted to clarify, it is not so much the vest you would be objecting to, but what's underneath... :wink: :nice:

Now Franck, I couldn't possibly comment....

John McAulay
27th-March-2002, 02:59 PM
I know the answer to that !

Kilt and a hairy

chest! apparently

if the rumours are true!

regards
jonmac

Amanda
27th-March-2002, 03:08 PM
Damn - that's the cat well and truly out of the bag now. :p

Bill
28th-March-2002, 10:41 AM
well I can't let this continue without some comment :grin:

I clearly have a malfunctioning heating system as I don't often have to change at all unless the air conditioning is off and the room is very hot as happens at O'Donoghues, Dundee and occasionally at Marcos. I know some folk ( certainly some women) change several times, not because they are hot and sweaty but because they want to have different outfits.

As for vests......I know some women don't like them......but I will definitely reserve the right to wear one if and when I choose ! I have worn some at classes and workshops and they can be very cool. I've had this discussion with a couple of women and some have said they don't mind but a few have agreed with Amanda. My answer was this is very sexist as many women wear tops that are more or less vests and little strappy numbers because they are cool and nice to wear. So why do we not have the same rights ???:confused:

I did and at times still feel a bit self conscious about wearing one but as I shouldn't really care what most folk think .....and I certainly wouldn't dream of making a comment about another man or woman's outfit........... I should be able to wear one without it being an issue. I'm also lucky that a couple of the women I really enjoy dancing with - here and in England - actually like some men in vests. And they weren't just being kind;)

Given that we are all different shapes, sizes, ages, fitness levels etc.... then it's not surprising that some dancers need to change more often than others. As has been said I htink as long as we are all clean and fresh when we start the night then nobody should object if after several hours of dancing we are all hot and sweaty. Just shows we are all having fun.........ad that's why we keep doing it
:nice:

ian
6th-April-2002, 08:57 AM
Ref suitable tops for the more energetic

Having equated Ceroc to an endurance sport and hence to running, I tend to raid the running shops. Can't say they have too much choice in Aberdeen but at least the tops - sleeveless or other wise, are designed for this kind of job and seem to work quite well. They do get a bit damp but not what I'd call unpleasant - someone might want to correct me on that point.

Choice of colour etc is limited though unless you go into the sleeveless stuff which to my taste seems to be too colourful and touches on another debate.

As for changing shirts so many times a night. Have tried that but found they did little if anything to reduce the moisture problem. It even seemed to make things worse for me. The new one would be almost as moist as the previous one within minutes, as though the new one was too warm, hence more moisture there and then.

Ian

Will
9th-November-2004, 03:19 PM
Nike make shirts with technical material called "Dri-Fit". I have found that these are by far the best items of clothing I have to keep me comfortable in hot sweaty conditions.

John McAulay
9th-November-2004, 03:46 PM
Well Done Will, only two years out of date :clap:

Dreadful Scathe
9th-November-2004, 04:08 PM
but he's still topical :)

Stuart
9th-November-2004, 05:38 PM
Nike make shirts with technical material called "Dri-Fit". I have found that these are by far the best items of clothing I have to keep me comfortable in hot sweaty conditions.

I've got an Adidas "London Marathon" T-Shirt made with somethin called "Climalite" which I think is something similar. The best bit was that it only cost me £5 in the outlet centre at Swindon. Unfortunately they've never had any others when I've been in there.

Will
9th-November-2004, 05:51 PM
I've got an Adidas "London Marathon" T-Shirt made with somethin called "Climalite" which I think is something similar. The best bit was that it only cost me £5 in the outlet centre at Swindon. Unfortunately they've never had any others when I've been in there.
If it is the same stuff I'll be very annoyed. The Nike Dri-Fit shirts cost me £25 each!

Will
9th-November-2004, 05:54 PM
Makes you wonder if the best thing to dance in would be a thin gore-tex material. Obviously if it was very thin unlike on ski jackets, it would still potentially have the same properties - i.e. letting moisture on the inside out whilst not letting any outside moisture in. (You could wipe it all off on your partner then!)

Trish
9th-November-2004, 05:55 PM

I'm with you 100% on the personal hygene thing Amanda, but as long as the guy is nice and toned, I personally like vests - not the soggy looking "old man" type vests, but nice tight lycra ones!

Peter
9th-November-2004, 06:23 PM
Nike make shirts with technical material called "Dri-Fit".

Any know if you can get these shirts with the name of a football club blazoned across them?

baldrick
9th-November-2004, 07:13 PM
Peter storm do some ok t shirts from dupont dry flow. Drys out quick and feels much less damp than the dreaded cotton. Were on 2 for one from Millets.

DavidY
9th-November-2004, 07:38 PM
Peter storm do some ok t shirts from dupont dry flow. Drys out quick and feels much less damp than the dreaded cotton. Were on 2 for one from Millets.I think the Dupont wonder material in Peter Storm shirts might be Cool Max rather than dry flow. At least I think that's what Neil said here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20424#post20424)

(I have several and they are really good at keeping you dry. Not very stylish though :blush: )

Stuart
9th-November-2004, 08:01 PM
If it is the same stuff I'll be very annoyed. The Nike Dri-Fit shirts cost me £25 each!

I don't think it is the same stuff. My T shirt was only reduced because it had "London Marathon 2001" plastered all over it.

jockey
9th-November-2004, 08:23 PM
Something with little or no sleeves is best; u r probably aware that wetness shows less the darker the colour. Saying 'sorry I' m really wet' makes you less wet to your new partner I find.

baldrick
10th-November-2004, 12:17 AM
I think the Dupont wonder material in Peter Storm shirts might be Cool Max rather than dry flow. At least I think that's what Neil said here. (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20424#post20424)

(I have several and they are really good at keeping you dry. Not very stylish though :blush: )
Once again I stand corrected. Ok so I'm sitting but don't anyone dare point it out.
Thanks David

Bigger Andy
17th-November-2004, 02:16 PM
Rash Vest ?

I saw someone at Camber at the weekend wearing a Rash Vest to dance in !

Rash Vests are designed to be worn under a wetsuit to prevent the wearer getting a rash as the wetsuit rubs against him or her.

By implication, Rash Vests will be wet most of the time.

Does the wearing of a Rash Vest for dancing in signal the way forward ?

Perhaps it is able to wick away dampness better than a "normal" shirt ?

Perhaps it prevents soreness under the arms ?

How cool :cool: is it though ?

The Rash Vest seen at Camber, from a distance, seemed to be dark blue - but with bright orange arms !

Discuss !

philsmove
17th-November-2004, 08:37 PM
Rash Vest ?

Rash Vests are designed to be worn under a wetsuit to prevent the wearer getting a rash as the wetsuit rubs against him or her.

I had a friend who tried wearing fish net tights under his wet suite

The pattern on his legs when he took his wet suite off was amazing :rofl:

ChrisA
17th-November-2004, 08:52 PM

Except that in our very own Andy's case (for it was he), the reason it's called a Rash vest is because it immediately brings out a rash on the people that have to look at it. :tears:

Bitchy? Moi? :rofl:

Only because the bugger beat me at air hockey. :angry:

(it was very close, though (7-6, 6-7, 6-7), and I gifted him the last and deciding game with about 4 own goals.)

Sore loser? Moi??? :innocent:

Bigger Andy
18th-November-2004, 02:15 PM
During the evening freestyles at Camber all the ladies took the opportunity to dress up. :clap: :flower:

Wearing a Rash Vest seems to me to be dressing down and didn't strike me as being appropriate. :tears:

Can the wearing of a Rash Vest be justified on the basis of its ability to keep the wearer cool and rash free ? Are its properties that good ?

Dancing Teeth
18th-November-2004, 03:14 PM
OK -
My personal gripes are:

Amanda

It started With this.... :yeah:

Then....this... :yeah:

Now Franck, I couldn't possibly comment....
Damn - that's the cat well and truly out of the bag now. :p

and finally caught out.... :rofl:

This may sound like a great generalisation but why don't woman ever say what they mean...? :whistle: Please don't kill me for placing this post.. just an observation... :blush:

SilverFox
18th-November-2004, 03:35 PM
This may sound like a great generalisation but why don't woman ever say what they mean...? :whistle: They do .... It's just in another language....one that us menfolk won't..... sorry, can't comprehend :devil:

Zebra Woman
18th-November-2004, 03:43 PM
This may sound like a great generalisation but why don't woman ever say what they mean...? :whistle: Please don't kill me for placing this post.. just an observation... :blush:

We do mean it, but not about you Mr.V .....

You are one of the rare dancers actually preferred in a vest :worthy: :clap: :drool: :blush:

ZW :D

Dancing Teeth
18th-November-2004, 04:20 PM

You are one of the rare dancers actually preferred in a vest :worthy: :clap: :drool: :blush:

Oh, thank you thank you. Thats nice to know.

2) Vests - UUUUUGGGGGHHHH

Is this to mean this posting should have had caveats... :grin:

Minnie M
18th-November-2004, 04:27 PM

:yeah: :drool: :yeah: :drool: :yeah: - especially the white fitted ones :drool: :blush:

Dancing Teeth
18th-November-2004, 04:37 PM
:yeah: :drool: :yeah: :drool: :yeah: - especially the white fitted ones :drool: :blush:

Now Now ladies please... you emberrassing me... :flower: :flower: :kiss:

ChrisA
18th-November-2004, 04:53 PM
Now Now ladies please... you emberrassing me... :flower: :flower: :kiss:

Yeah, and annoying the rest of the guys :rofl:

Jayne
18th-November-2004, 05:08 PM
ooo, oooo....

I hadn't realised that this thread had reached the heady heights of discussing The Lovely Viktor in a tight white vest - I would have read it earlier if I'd known!

:grin: *sigh* :drool: :swoon: :wink:

Off to ponder...

J :wink:

Zebra Woman
18th-November-2004, 05:20 PM
:yeah: :yeah: The really small tight fitted ones :waycool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :waycool:

Is it hot in here? Or is it just me? :devil:

Jayne
18th-November-2004, 05:27 PM
Is it hot in here? Or is it just me? :devil:
:rofl: someone has just walked into the office & commented on how hot it is!

J :nice:

Dancing Teeth
18th-November-2004, 05:41 PM
ooo, oooo....

I hadn't realised that this thread had reached the heady heights of discussing The Lovely Viktor in a tight white vest - I would have read it earlier if I'd known!

:grin: *sigh* :drool: :swoon: :wink:

Off to ponder...

J :wink:

:grin: I can't stop smiling now, what are you doing to me.. :blush: ok.. thanks Ladies, it's really nice to be appreciated. Believe me you couldn't have given a guy a big ego boost than this... :waycool: thank you...

Anyway the subject at hand was sweaty T shirts ......

or

was it wet T shirt competition... :yum: I forget.... :whistle:

Might be an Idea to do a Wet T shirt dance... What do you think... :clap: