PDA

View Full Version : The Fastest Growing Dance Phenomenon?

Starlight Dancer
10th-October-2004, 04:36 PM
Ceroc is marketted as the fastest growing dance phenomenon. But is it? When I search the web there are more references to salsa than Ceroc or modern jive, there are more salsa dvds than Ceroc or modern jive, and when I look around there seem to be more salsa classes than Ceroc or modern jive.

Maybe Ceroc is growing faster than salsa but is yet to catch up?

Or maybe salsa is just really more popular?

If salsa is more popular, why? Salsa is harder to dance because of the additional focus on the footwork and because it can only really be danced properly to Latin American music. It is also more Latin American than European. Shouldn't that make salsa more restrictive to us then? Ceroc is easier and can be danced to almost any music. So is Ceroc not marketting itself enough? Or do we Europeans simply long for the exotic dances of Latin America?

<font color=red><i>What is a Starlight Dancer? Find out at www.starlightdancer.com</i></font><p>
<p>

Gus
10th-October-2004, 08:21 PM
Ceroc is marketted as the fastest growing dance phenomenon. But is it? From the evidence of all the new clubs appearing on UK-Jive etc. it may be possible to argue that MODERN JIVE is the fastest growing dance..... SO ... anyone want to report Ceroc Inc to the Adverstising Standards Council?? :wink: :wink:

Gadget
11th-October-2004, 12:35 AM
If salsa is more popular, why?
Because it's better known, has more history and more places teach it. It's part of the mainstream culture, language and lifestyle.
If MJ had the same amount of exposure, was mentioned in passing on soaps, had mini-dramas written about it, and was as integrated with society; then it would {IMHO} be far bigger than Salsa.

It's getting there - I think that within a few years (5?) it will be more mainstream, and poss within about 10 years will be a lot closer to Salsa in "popularity" (although I can see Salsa increasing at the same time due to the feed off of MJ - same with other dance formats)

CJ
11th-October-2004, 02:19 AM
Salsa UK has 2000 nights: when it has 2001, it hasn't grown much.

Laroc has 1 night: when it has 2, it has grown by 100%.

Fastest growing ISN'T most popular.

Ask Adam: he's popular and he hasn't grown since he was 11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

Starlight Dancer
11th-October-2004, 08:24 PM
If MJ had the same amount of exposure, was mentioned in passing on soaps, had mini-dramas written about it, and was as integrated with society; then it would {IMHO} be far bigger than Salsa.

Ok, so how does Ceroc increase it's exposure to rival that of Salsa? Is Hollywood to blame? Maybe it is hard for it to compete with the reputation of Salsa as a hot and spicy dance? Does Ceroc need a better image? After all, who can deny that Ceroc or modern jive can be just as hot and spicy given the right music, atmosphere, and chemistry between the dancers? Or is it simply the Latin American music that gives Salsa its distinctive edge?

<i><font color=red>What is a Starlight Dancer? Find out at www.starlightdancer.com</font></i>
<p>

lindyloo
11th-October-2004, 09:48 PM
[QUOTE=starlightdancer]Ok, so how does Ceroc increase it's exposure to rival that of Salsa? Is Hollywood to blame? Maybe it is hard for it to compete with the reputation of Salsa as a hot and spicy dance? Does Ceroc need a better image? After all, who can deny that Ceroc or modern jive can be just as hot and spicy given the right music, atmosphere, and chemistry between the dancers? Or is it simply the Latin American music that gives Salsa its distinctive edge?

<i><font color=red>What is a Starlight Dancer? Find out at www.starlightdancer.com</font></i>
<p>[/QUO

Salsa has obviously been around many many more years than Ceroc, but Ceroc is certainly increasing it's exposure and will soon hit Hollywood - well not that far away!

Lynn
11th-October-2004, 10:40 PM
It's getting there - I think that within a few years (5?) it will be more mainstream, and poss within about 10 years will be a lot closer to Salsa in "popularity" Interestingly, when I was looking into possible venues for LL's blues workshop in August, I was talking to someone in a local arts centre who agreed that salsa was very popular in Belfast, but who also said that he felt it had reached its 'peak' here and wouldn't grow much more. (Of course the local salsa teachers probably wouldn't agree!) I'm still hopeful that at some stage in the future there will be a thriving and growing MJ scene here...

Gadget
11th-October-2004, 10:54 PM
Ok, so how does Ceroc increase it's exposure to rival that of Salsa? Is Hollywood to blame? Maybe it is hard for it to compete with the reputation of Salsa as a hot and spicy dance? Does Ceroc need a better image? After all, who can deny that Ceroc or modern jive can be just as hot and spicy given the right music, atmosphere, and chemistry between the dancers? Or is it simply the Latin American music that gives Salsa its distinctive edge?
I think that it's the Latin American music that will hold Salsa back while MJ overtakes it.
Blame? There is no blame to distribute; in fact probably praise to those who promote MJ and have been instrimental in bringing it to it's current level of popularity would be in order. :worthy::clap:

It gains exposure by becoming popular, and it becomes popular by gaining exposure.

I'm sure that Ceroc (and all the rest of the MJ promoters) would be interested in hearing any new ideas for outlets and promotion; suggest away.

Lynn
11th-October-2004, 10:56 PM
I'm sure that Ceroc (and all the rest of the MJ promoters) would be interested in hearing any new ideas for outlets and promotion; suggest away. Break into a new area - move a teacher over to Northern Ireland!!! :wink:

MartinHarper
11th-October-2004, 11:48 PM
How does Ceroc increase its exposure to rival that of Salsa?

It is increasing its exposure. Time will tell whether it ever rivals Salsa.

Personally, I don't find that the popularity of a dance has a significant impact on its enjoyability, so I don't really care.

Andy McGregor
12th-October-2004, 12:10 AM
Personally, I don't find that the popularity of a dance has a significant impact on its enjoyability, so I don't really care.

:yeah:

So long as we've got a few busy nights to go to we'll all enjoy ourselves. Let's hope the day never comes when numbers start to dwindle.

IMHO, partner dancing will remain popular for as long as there's men and women. There might be different and new partner dances and some might move in and out of popularity but there will always be partner dancing, won't there? :eek:

Starlight Dancer
13th-October-2004, 12:40 AM
Break into a new area - move a teacher over to Northern Ireland!!! :wink:

Well I have plans to take Amir to Hollywood, but ssshhh he doesn't know about it! :wink:

<i><font color=red>What is a Starlight Dancer? Find out at www.starlightdancer.com</font></i><p>