PDA

View Full Version : Java What

Missy D
7th-October-2004, 05:22 PM
Oh no! more complications! So yesterday i was being the usual computer unfriendly woman with my avatar situation (which seem to have turned into a babyoil, headlice and piles thread - thanks sis). After a few hours it was all sorted and i never thought i would have to trouble anyone again - but that was before i tried using a larger more colourful font. So this morning i tried to write a little happy birthday to Roger all colourful only to be told that i cant due to a JAVA problem. Anyone want to explain this to me? please :flower:

Hopefully, this will be the last of my lack of computer knowledge but, dont hold your breath :rofl: :confused:

dee
8th-October-2004, 05:00 PM
Ive also tried this, i can choose the Size of font and Colour of font but how do you do both??? :confused: I think us sisters need an IT course

Graham
8th-October-2004, 05:42 PM
I don't really understand what Missy D's problem is, I'm afraid, but you could try checking that you have Java installed correctly on your machine here (http://java.com/en/index.jsp). However Dee's question is simple, and there are a number of ways to do it, depending on your personal preference.

On the reply screen, you should see a number of formatting options such as font type, bold, etc. Underneath this there are buttons to select either "Guided Mode" or "Enhanced Mode". The way you select multiple format options depends on which one you use.

Guided Mode
Click on your first formatting option (let's say SIZE = 5). This will open a dialog box for the text you want to be large. Once you have entered the text and clicked OK, you will see that the text you typed is now in the main reply box surrounded by the SIZE formatting tags. To change the colour of the text, use your pointing device to select/highlight the text in between the SIZE tags, then pick your colour from the drop-down menu. Once you have done this the COLOR formatting tags should also appear around the text you highlighted. Be careful when selecting/highlighting not to start or finish in between the square brackets [ ] of an existing tag - you must either highlight the whole tag or none of it.

Enhanced Mode
In enhanced mode you don't get pop-up dialog boxes, so when you click a formatting option it only inserts the opening tag, and not the closing tag. So to do the same exercise you would select the first formatting option, then the second option, and THEN type in your desired text. You should then have something which looks like
[SIZE=5][COLOR=Red]Desired TextNow you have to insert the closing tags - the buttons to do this are on the right hand side: Close Current Tag closes whichever formatting tag you selected last (in this example the colour), so if you have two formatting options, either click this twice or use Close All Tags. In enhanced mode you need to remember to close all tags before you post your message, or your formatting won't work. (Selecting text and choosing a formatting option as described above works the same way in both guided mode and enhanced mode incidentally).

HTH :grin:

dee
8th-October-2004, 06:56 PM
I wonder just a trial to see if it works

dee
8th-October-2004, 06:58 PM
Thanks Graham :cheers: i need a bit of practice mind, so look out for my colourful threads.

Thanks again :flower:

Missy D
9th-October-2004, 12:11 PM
undefinedright here goes with the Java font undefinedsize and undefinedcolour

Missy D
9th-October-2004, 12:14 PM
undefinedundefined[/SIZE]Well yeah!! [COLOR=DarkRed] Briliiant!!!

Missy D
9th-October-2004, 12:16 PM
[SIZE=5]Graham help!! [COLOR=Indigo] I just dont understand!! :rofl:

Graham
9th-October-2004, 12:22 PM
Think of it like brackets - every time you open one ( you have to close it too ). The open brackets are eg [SIZE=5] and the close brackets are eg [/S1ZE]. When you end up with an open and no close (or vice versa) the text isn't formatted, and the tag itself is displayed. Try editing your posts and see if you can fix them by adding open and close tags :grin:

CJ
10th-October-2004, 03:07 AM
Try editing your posts and see if you can fix them by adding open and close tags :grin:

And if you get it right, Mr. Unimpressedteacherface might even give you a gold star!!!

Graham
10th-October-2004, 10:39 AM
Well if you'd actually hit the target I might have been impressed :rolleyes:

Missy D
10th-October-2004, 11:04 AM
well sis is here lets see if she is in the know