PDA

View Full Version : where to buy dance wear??

Little Monkey
5th-October-2004, 09:03 PM
Just wondering where the best place to buy dance shoes and clothes is in Scotland....

I know of loads of great on-line shops, but I'm awkward and prefer trying things on before buying! Got some stuff off dancestore.com (they do gorgeous skirts!), and years and years ago there used to be a fab retro shop in London called "Ted's Corner" where I also got some brilliant outfits from (back when I was doing swing & rock'n'roll, about 8 years ago!). But where can I shop for dance stuff in Scotland???? :confused:

Help, please!!

Monkey

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 08:45 AM
Just wondering where the best place to buy dance shoes and clothes is in Scotland....

I know of loads of great on-line shops, but I'm awkward and prefer trying things on before buying! Got some stuff off dancestore.com (they do gorgeous skirts!), and years and years ago there used to be a fab retro shop in London called "Ted's Corner" where I also got some brilliant outfits from (back when I was doing swing & rock'n'roll, about 8 years ago!). But where can I shop for dance stuff in Scotland???? :confused:

Help, please!!

Monkey

try www.westenddanceboutique.com

it is in glasgow you can view on the internet and reserve then go down and try it to see if it is what you wanted!!!

I know there is one in cumbernauld but not sure of the name. You could do a google search for dance shoes scotland and they should come up! Or try yell.com and look in the yellow pages.

Well thats what i did!!

:hug:

Bangers & Mash
7th-October-2004, 09:41 AM

Help, please!!

Monkey

If in Edinburgh, there is a dance shop on Rose St. (runs parallel to Princes St)

For retros clothes - check out Armstrongs (http://www.armstrongsvintage.co.uk/). They have an awesome collection and it's pretty cheap as well.

Normally, a trip to Armstrongs is followed by a visit to Vegas (http://www.ren-com.com/vegas/index.htm) :D

jivegirl100
7th-October-2004, 10:02 AM
Anyone know where to buy a sparkly dress? (I have my heart set on one since I saw the gorgeous oriental lady who won the open at the Champs this year wearing one)

I also need sparkly shoes too I guess...

I live in Newcastle - so Scotland is a little far to travel - does anyone know of any online shops??

Claire :cheers:

Chicklet
7th-October-2004, 10:22 AM
I can heartily recommend e-bay vintage section for that little something special (see left!)

Vendors of vintage clothes recognise that saying "size 10" is completely useless as sizes 20, 30, 40, 50 years ago were far smaller than now. (also who can really say what a size 10 would measure these days, there's so much difference even in the same shop!)

Vintage vendors measure the clothes out flat and give inch measurements of the usual bust, waist etc but also usually lengths too.
You then have to be REALLY honest with yourself and work out if something will fit.

I have many weird and wonderful finds from e-bay, but be warned, it is HIGHLY addictive.

Also recommend the old TX Maxx, you HAVE to be in the mood and do try things on and inspect seams etc....don't discount the "ladies formal wear" section as all too frumpy, all the sequined stuff seems to end up in there and a lot of it is suitably skimpy! I have sparkly dresses and skirts from TX Maxx reduced from £200 + to £30 so would be worth a look for you Claire!

(won't really work for dancing but they are also the BEST place for bargain cashmere!!!!)

C :D (personal shopper for hire)

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 11:44 AM
Also recommend the old TX Maxx, you HAVE to be in the mood and do try things on and inspect seams etc....don't discount the "ladies formal wear" section as all too frumpy, all the sequined stuff seems to end up in there and a lot of it is suitably skimpy! I have sparkly dresses and skirts from TX Maxx reduced from £200 + to £30 so would be worth a look for you Claire!

:yeah:

I have gotten two lovely dresses from there for formals and they have only cost £20.00-£30.00! One needed a little repair but it was so worth it!!

Tiggerbabe
7th-October-2004, 05:52 PM
Anyone know where to buy a sparkly dress? (I have my heart set on one since I saw the gorgeous oriental lady who won the open at the Champs this year wearing one)

I also need sparkly shoes too I guess...

I think you must mean Yuko - try pm-ing Lily B as I'm sure she had a dress very similar when she and David did their cabaret performance in Perth last year, she might be able to point you in the right direction on-line.

As for sparkly shoes - add stick on crystals yourself or get in touch with Heavenly Dance Shoes for the most amazing designs :drool:

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 09:28 PM

As for sparkly shoes - add stick on crystals yourself or get in touch with Heavenly Dance Shoes for the most amazing designs :drool:

is that where you get your shoes?

Tiggerbabe
7th-October-2004, 10:53 PM
is that where you get your shoes?
That's where I got the "Scotland" shoes and where I'm definitely buying my next pair (once I've decided exactly what they're gonna look like)
I've bought shoes/trainers from Kingdom of Dance, Supadance and Felix Dancewear too :wink: :whistle:

"The Turret" is a cool shop for getting clothes, Little Monkey, there's a branch in Broughty Ferry :hug: (they always have great stuff at sale-time too!)

drathzel
8th-October-2004, 09:28 AM
That's where I got the "Scotland" shoes and where I'm definitely buying my next pair (once I've decided exactly what they're gonna look like)
I've bought shoes/trainers from Kingdom of Dance, Supadance and Felix Dancewear too :wink: :whistle:

"The Turret" is a cool shop for getting clothes, Little Monkey, there's a branch in Broughty Ferry :hug: (they always have great stuff at sale-time too!)

do they have websites or were they shops?

Flash
8th-October-2004, 12:11 PM
I was driving up South Clerk Street in Edinburgh yesterday and noticed a new dance shop. Now it could just be new to me and not necessarily new!! But it did look good. Don't recall the name either...sorry!!

Graham
8th-October-2004, 12:24 PM
I was driving up South Clerk Street in Edinburgh yesterday and noticed a new dance shop. Now it could just be new to me and not necessarily new!! But it did look good. Don't recall the name either...sorry!!
It is a new shop: Dancia International (http://www.dancia.co.uk/#)

Website for the one of the ones Sheena mentioned:

Kingdom of Dance (http://www.kingdomofdance.co.uk/)

drathzel
8th-October-2004, 12:54 PM
Website for the one of the ones Sheena mentioned:

Kingdom of Dance (http://www.kingdomofdance.co.uk/)

can any one spot sheena's red suede shoes? :yeah:

ElaineB
8th-October-2004, 01:08 PM
I think you must mean Yuko - try pm-ing Lily B as I'm sure she had a dress very similar when she and David did their cabaret performance in Perth last year, she might be able to point you in the right direction on-line.

I have just ordered five pairs from Heavenly Dance Shoes - made the mistake of a personal visit - fatal!!! The Lady who runs it is very helpful - you can have just about anything done........... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Elaine

Tiggerbabe
8th-October-2004, 06:27 PM
can any one spot sheena's red suede shoes? :yeah:
Here you go Drathzel :hug: Sheena's Beautiful (and yet comfy) Red Suede Shoes (http://www.kingdomofdance.co.uk/item.aspx?pid=494)

drathzel
8th-October-2004, 07:59 PM
Here you go Drathzel :hug: Sheena's Beautiful (and yet comfy) Red Suede Shoes (http://www.kingdomofdance.co.uk/item.aspx?pid=494)

oooooh they are lovely!!!! Guess what i am going to be asking for for christmas!