PDA

View Full Version : Haggis help required!

Lory
5th-October-2004, 03:57 PM
On my recent trip up to Scotland for the BFG, I purchased 2 Haggis? Haggi?? Haggises???

Now, everytime I open the fridge, they're there, staring at me like 2 little shrunken heads with alien ears! :what: I've even been tempted to name them! :na:

Anyway, enoughs enough and tonights the night! :D before I get too attached to them! :rofl:

So, before I nip to the shops, what am I going to serve with them? :confused: and how SHOULD they be served? :flower:

We want the full experience, so no holding back now! :cheers:

ToeTrampler
5th-October-2004, 04:17 PM
On my recent trip up to Scotland for the BFG, I purchased 2 Haggis? Haggi?? Haggises???

...So, before I nip to the shops, what am I going to serve with them? :confused: and how SHOULD they be served? :flower:

The 'usual' up here is to serve them with neeps and tatties (i.e. mashed turnip and creamed potatoes). Hope that helps :)

Gadget
5th-October-2004, 04:24 PM
:yeah: (except "creamed" potatoes are 'blergh' in my opinion; mashed with a large dod of butter :yum: )
Served in thirds on the plate with a large slab of fresh bread - eat from the middle where you can get a bit of each on your fork.

I'm not sure of the best liquid refreshment to go with it... anyone?

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 04:31 PM

Now, everytime I open the fridge, they're there, staring at me like 2 little shrunken heads with alien ears! :what: I've even been tempted to name them! :na:

Anyway, enoughs enough and tonights the night! :D before I get too attached to them! :rofl:

So, before I nip to the shops, what am I going to serve with them? :confused: and how SHOULD they be served? :flower:

We want the full experience, so no holding back now! :cheers:

With tatties and nipes... do you know how to cook it... ie boil in in the bag.

Remember to say your toast before you open the bag!!!

:hug:

Lory
5th-October-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks everyone! :hug:

No gravy?

Toast, is that a special one or just one that I feel like making up?

Liquid refreshments... erm Scotch and coke? :D

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 04:41 PM

No gravy?

you can have gravy

and you can say the toast to haggis by none other than Rabbi Burns, or you can just make any old toast! In fact come to think of it i think i had welsh rarebit (ie cheese on toast) before i had my haggis! So i had my toast before i had my haggis, geddit!!

I love haggis and i am not even Scottish!

TheTramp
5th-October-2004, 05:19 PM
Remember to say your toast before you open the bag!!!

Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face,
Great chieftain o the puddin'-race!
Aboon them a' ye tak your place,
Painch, tripe, or thairm:
Weel are ye wordy of a grace
As lang's my arm.

The groaning trencher there ye fill,
Your hurdies like a distant hill,
Your pin wad help to mend a mill
In time o need,
While thro your pores the dews distil
Like amber bead.

His knife see rustic Labour dight,
An cut you up wi ready slight,
Trenching your gushing entrails bright,
Like onie ditch;
And then, O what a glorious sight,
Warm-reekin, rich!

Then, horn for horn, they stretch an strive:
Deil tak the hindmost, on they drive,
Till a' their weel-swall'd kytes belyve
Are bent like drums;
The auld Guidman, maist like to rive,
'Bethankit' hums.

Is there that owre his French ragout,
Or olio that wad staw a sow,
Or fricassee wad mak her spew
Wi perfect sconner,
Looks down wi sneering, scornfu view
On sic a dinner?

Poor devil! see him owre his trash,
As feckless as a wither'd rash,
His spindle shank a guid whip-lash,
His nieve a nit:
Thro bloody flood or field to dash,
O how unfit!

But mark the Rustic, haggis-fed,
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Clap in his walie nieve a blade,
He'll make it whissle;
An legs an arms, an heads will sned,
Like taps o thrissle.

Ye Pow'rs, wha mak mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill o fare,
Auld Scotland wants nae skinking ware
That jaups in luggies:
But, if ye wish her gratefu prayer,
Gie her a Haggis!

Robert (Rabbie) Burns

Trampy

Dance Demon
5th-October-2004, 05:24 PM

No gravy?

No gravy Lori. Liquid refreshment any good whisky, doesn't have to be a malt. if you are having a malt, accepted ettiquette is tohave the whisky in one glass, and water in a seperate one. take a sip of whisky, then a sip of water. PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, don't put lemonade or any other soft drink into it. Thereis a proper toast....Address to a Haggis....which has several verses.......starting with:
Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face
Great Chieftain o' the puddin' race
Aboon them a' ye tak yer place
Painch, tripe thairm
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As long's ma airm

However you can just go with the Selkirk Grace

Some hae meat an' cannae eat
Some hae nane, wad want it
But we hae meat, an' we can eat
Sae let the lord be thankit

both courtesy of the national bard....one Robert Burns of Alloway, Ayrshire.

Bon apetit..........(don't forget the Rennies :wink: )

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 06:02 PM
Hey lory, have you ever seen a haggis?

Gojive
5th-October-2004, 06:16 PM
Thereis a proper toast....Address to a Haggis....which has several verses.......starting with:
Fair fa' yer honest sonsie face
Great Chieftain o' the puddin' race
Aboon them a' ye tak yer place
Painch, tripe thairm
Weel are ye wordy o' a grace
As long's ma airm

Is that the one that ends with:

"De yae want fries wi that?"

:devil: :na:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-October-2004, 06:35 PM
Haggis is also nice in a baked potato (and easy) also rather than mashed turnip a modern alternative is the swede :)

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 06:38 PM
Haggis is also nice in a baked potato (and easy) also rather than mashed turnip a modern alternative is the swede :)

yummy, nice!! :yum:

Groovy Dancer
5th-October-2004, 06:44 PM
Never tasted Haggis. :tears:
Am I missing one of life's great pleasures? :yum:

KGD

Lory
5th-October-2004, 07:00 PM
ooh they're boiling in their bags, wrapped in silver foil, (1 1/2hours :eek: )as I type! :yum: and no, i've not tried it before but I've heard good things! :nice:

Scotch is being sampled as we speak so that toast will be the abbreviated version! :rofl:

I'll let you all know what we think! :wink:

Gojive
5th-October-2004, 07:02 PM
Scotch is being sampled as we speak so that toast will be the abbreviated version!

Are you sure it won't be more like the anebriated version Lory? :whistle: :D

Lory
5th-October-2004, 07:32 PM
Not long now! :na:

We've now sampled 3 of the 5 we brought!

Aberlour, single malt 10yr old
Glengoyne, single malt 10yr and
Aberfeldy, single 12yrs old :yum:

I think the toast will be the VERY abbreviated, anebriated version! :whistle:

Little Monkey
5th-October-2004, 07:36 PM
Mmmmmmm, haggis....

I once had a dish called "the sporran of plenty" (at the Moulin Inn) which was lean, tender Angus beef, stuffed with haggis, and pan fried to your liking.... Yum! :drool:

Monkey

Dance Demon
5th-October-2004, 11:37 PM
Not long now! :na:

We've now sampled 3 of the 5 we brought!

Aberlour, single malt 10yr old
Glengoyne, single malt 10yr and
Aberfeldy, single 12yrs old :yum:

I think the toast will be the VERY abbreviated, anebriated version! :whistle:

Hope one of the other two is a 16 year old Lagavulin........if not you missed one of the best ones.:D

Tiggerbabe
6th-October-2004, 12:16 AM

Definitely :yum: :yum: :yum:

under par
6th-October-2004, 12:35 AM
Lory obviously too drunk for the gastronomic critique OR off to hospital with some food poisoning and unable to post an update.!!!! :wink: :whistle:

Awaits with interest :flower: .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .....................................you are keeping your public waiting Lory :D .................................................. ............................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..... was it nice OR not!!!! :angry:

Lory
6th-October-2004, 12:57 AM
.. was it nice OR not!!!! :angry:Weeeell yes, it was nice, :na: it didn't really taste how I expected it too, it was far more spicy and reminded me a bit of a faggot, without the gravy or pat'e with added barley but it definitly needed gravy as far as I'm concerned, so I made some, along with some carrots and a few green beans. (I'm afraid we all eat with our eyes in this family and the plate looked a little bit dull with only three neutral colours!)

One amazing thing though, it's so filling, a little goes a long long way! :what: Not the thing to eat befoe you go dancing! :rofl:

I'm glad I tried it :nice: I don't think I'd have it on a regular basis but I'll definilty bring another one home from Scotland next time I visit! :cheers:

under par
6th-October-2004, 01:06 AM
Weeeell yes, it was nice,

I'm glad I tried it :nice: I don't think I'd have it on a regular basis but I'll definilty bring another one home from Scotland next time I visit! :cheers:

I think it is lovely though do not have it as often as I would like,

we're so glad you shared your evening meal with us all. :hug: :cheers:

philsmove
6th-October-2004, 08:16 AM

KGD
Defiantly

IMHO It should be accompanied by bashed neaps and a wee dram :drool: but no gravy

drathzel
6th-October-2004, 08:36 AM
Weeeell yes, it was nice, :na: it didn't really taste how I expected it too, it was far more spicy and reminded me a bit of a faggot, without the gravy or pat'e with added barley but it definitly needed gravy as far as I'm concerned, so I made some, along with some carrots and a few green beans. (I'm afraid we all eat with our eyes in this family and the plate looked a little bit dull with only three neutral colours!)

One amazing thing though, it's so filling, a little goes a long long way! :what: Not the thing to eat befoe you go dancing! :rofl:

You will have to have it made properly for you when you come up! I Love haggis, Its so yummy. It is really filling a little bag goes a long way!

Tiggerbabe
6th-October-2004, 08:47 AM
Defiantly .............but no gravy
We'll let her off Phil, on the grounds that she'd had so many wee drams that she didn't realise what she was doing - gravy with haggis - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
Good on yah for trying it though Lory :kiss: :kiss: :hug: :hug:

TheTramp
6th-October-2004, 11:48 AM
Yeah. No gravy!!!

Though, I do have a bit of tomato ketchup with mine :D

Trampy

Lory
6th-October-2004, 12:28 PM
Lory obviously too drunk for the gastronomic critique OR off to hospital with some food poisoning and unable to post an update.!!!! :wink: :whistle:

Actually this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85005&postcount=20) is what happened after dinner! :rofl:

under par
7th-October-2004, 12:24 AM
Actually this (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=85005&postcount=20) is what happened after dinner! :rofl:

Brilliant !!! and never had such a good laugh for ages eh! :clap: :clap: