PDA

View Full Version : Edinburgh Advanced Ceroc Night

Scot
5th-October-2004, 10:40 AM
In response to a number of requests Ceroc plan to run an Advanced Course. The focus of this course will be advanced moves (including some drops and lifts), style and footwork.

The idea of this class is to challenge experienced dancers with a view to moving them to the next level. It is therefore vital that people wishing to attend this course are completely comfortable with dancing intermediate moves. The course will be much more hands on than a traditional Ceroc class and therefore where appropriate constructive comment about your Dance will be given.

As an experiment and so as not to conflict too much with other events the class will run fortnightly for 4 nights only on a Wednesday evening 8 pm til 10 pm, which is the only week night other than Friday available.

There will not be a freestyle component to the night though there will be some music for practice.

Ideally people wishing to attend this course should sign up with a partner, the rationale for this is that at normal ceroc nights practice will be easier to achieve should it be required. Numbers for this course will be limited.

The first block of 4 course nights will run on the 3 Nov, 17th Nov, 1 Dec, 15th Dec. If this proves to be successful then we may continue the course into next year.

The course will run in Edinburgh, Marcos Leisure Centre, Studio 3 and the cost for all four nights, payable in advance, will be £ 25.00/person.

As some of you may recall we tried to run an Advanced Freestyle night on a Friday but had limited success. I have changed the format so it is more interactive. If you are interested in improving your dance please contact me at Dance@ceroc.info, tel 01620 860008 or register interest at one of the Edinburgh Ceroc Nights.

Franck
5th-October-2004, 12:35 PM
The first block of 4 course nights will run on the 3 Nov, 17th Nov, 1 Dec, 15th Dec. If this proves to be successful then we may continue the course into next year.Excellent idea, and I will watch the experiment with interest as I am interested in starting similar classes next year, I like the idea of a limited time, and having to commit for the duration... :clap:

Peter
5th-October-2004, 12:56 PM
In response to a number of requests Ceroc plan to run an Advanced Course. The focus of this course will be advanced moves (including some drops and lifts), style and footwork.

Best of luck!

Personally, I prefer to concentrate on style, rather than complicated moves.

I have been disapointed several times by Ceroc Advanced level classes where the sole object seems to be to race through four challenging moves as quickly as possible ... I suspect that the jerky, wrenchy results are almost unfollowable ...

Scot
5th-October-2004, 01:13 PM
I take your point, but no that is not really what I am trying to achieve it will be a combination of move and style the two in my opnion go hand in hand, and since I am big flow man it will definitely not be jerky, also it will be more than four moves.

To be honest I see it more like a workshop than a typical Ceroc class so I would hope to get feedback on the spot.

However since the oppertunity has presented itself there is a Style Workshop on the 30th of October for those just focused on that.

PS I will not be teaching Peter's Avatar that looks pretty painful

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 01:48 PM

However since the oppertunity has presented itself there is a Style Workshop on the 30th of October for those just focused on that.

Where?

Scot
5th-October-2004, 01:55 PM
Where?

Sorry Edinburgh, Marcos and there is also a party that night if you are from the West.

Graham
5th-October-2004, 02:12 PM
Sorry Edinburgh, Marcos and there is also a party that night if you are from the West.
So there's no party if you're from the East? :confused:

(J/K - I know what you meant really :grin: )

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 02:13 PM
So there's no party if you're from the East? :confused:

(J/K - I know what you meant really :grin: )

Are you not a westie anyway?

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2004, 02:19 PM
I have been disapointed several times by Ceroc Advanced level classes where the sole object seems to be to race through four challenging moves as quickly as possible ... I suspect that the jerky, wrenchy results are almost unfollowable ...

I've found the same as Peter. The advanced classes Ceroc classes I've been to have been about teaching complicated moves that aren't very easily led. I never heard anything about style - although at one we were told to bounce our hand to mark the beat in one of the moves :what:

Scot
5th-October-2004, 02:22 PM
I've found the same as Peter. The advanced classes Ceroc classes I've been to have been about teaching complicated moves that aren't very easily led. I never heard anything about style - although at one we were told to bounce our hand to mark the beat in one of the moves :what:

Well time for a change then

Graham
5th-October-2004, 02:24 PM
Are you not a westie anyway?
Do I look like this?

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 02:26 PM
Do I look like this?

a little bit!! :yeah:

Franck
5th-October-2004, 02:39 PM
I've found the same as Peter. The advanced classes Ceroc classes I've been to have been about teaching complicated moves that aren't very easily led. I never heard anything about style - although at one we were told to bounce our hand to mark the beat in one of the moves :what:Obviously you've been to the wrong Advanced Ceroc classes :wink: Indeed you just missed the BFG which was in my opinion, full of Advanced classes (though I would have hated to label them that).
There were no complex / intricate / uncomfortable moves to be seen, and plenty of style, technique as well as leading, following, musicality, inspiring moves, sexyness...
The only bouncing I can lay claim to was during the Turbo Jive workshop, where the floor was literally jumpin'

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 02:44 PM
The only bouncing I can lay claim to was during the Turbo Jive workshop, where the floor was literally jumpin'

Oh i'm sad i missed that one now.

Although i dont think i could have jumped for very long as i left at 3:30 ish and stopped in Stirling and preceeded to fall asleep in my car and wake up at 6:00!

Chicklet
5th-October-2004, 02:45 PM
FWIW, Andy and Peter, you're a pair of horrors!!! :flower:

I read Scot's post and in no way thought it suggested the emphasis would be on moves and if I was Scot I would be banging my head on a brick wall that the second post on the thread was suggesting that this *wild paraphrasing* probably won't be much cop cos other ones haven't been.

1) :clap: Scot for having the balls to "just do it" with this and see what happens

2) Southerners: have you no a' clicked YET that we do EVERYTHING better in Scotland ....and that in no way should a negative teaching experience in the South suggest it's likely to be similar here!!!

NB...I KNOW neither of the gents said anything derogatory about Scot, I know they were just giving what are valid views on a subject they have related knowledge of so don't start a "he said she said", I'm just disappointed that the first 3 pages of this thread aren't folkses clapping!!!!!

Now if I can just find a suitable gentleman.....I'll be there!
C :D

Peter
5th-October-2004, 03:01 PM

And if could get up North more regularly, I would be there too ... it sounds excellent. :clap: Maybe there will be more emphasis on style taught in Ceroc South England soon. Here's hoping! BEST OF LUCK, Scot! :clap: :clap: :clap: I hope they all go for it!

I will not be teaching Peter's Avatar that looks pretty painful

Pain is the last thing on my mind when dancing with Amy (she who shares my Avtar)

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2004, 03:02 PM

It's just envy. There is a school of thought in our area that complicated means advanced. From everything I've seen and read about the teaching in Scotland, your advanced teaching will be what I hope an advanced lesson will be.

So, well done Scot

:clap:

.. is that enought clapping? :innocent:

Chicklet
5th-October-2004, 03:06 PM
that's more like it, thanks boys!

(I do like it when they do as they're told...now, when's that class on advanced backleading again......)

drathzel
5th-October-2004, 03:08 PM
PS Pain is the last thing on my mind when dancing with Amy (see my Avtar, on the left)

I'm sure it is! :wink:

Gus
5th-October-2004, 04:44 PM
The idea of this class is to challenge experienced dancers with a view to moving them to the next level. .Daft question ... and not trying to be negative ... but will there be a vetting procedure in place? A common complain about the advanced classes we currently do in Blitz is that you get people participating who clearly arent up to standard. I'm not sure myself how to deal with the situation ... hoping they will recognise they are out of their depth and drop out or do I look them square in the eye and tell them to :sick:

Must admit I like the concept of teaching it as a short course. Good idea! Think Nigel and Nina did something similar a few years back on the South Coast (and Oxford?) and from what I heard it went very well.

Scot
5th-October-2004, 05:20 PM
Daft question ... and not trying to be negative ... but will there be a vetting procedure in place?

It is assumed that the dancers will be fairly comfortable with their dancing but it will always be the case that some are more adept than others.

Hopefully as you say people will make that determination themselves. However if people want to dance as partners I do not have a problem with that.

Tiggerbabe
5th-October-2004, 06:11 PM
Sounds great Scot :clap: :clap: :clap: Brilliant idea!!!!!!

Jive Brummie
5th-October-2004, 06:43 PM

The idea of this class is to challenge experienced dancers with a view to moving them to the next level. It is therefore vital that people wishing to attend this course are completely comfortable with dancing intermediate moves. The course will be much more hands on than a traditional Ceroc class and therefore where appropriate constructive comment about your Dance will be given.

As an experiment and so as not to conflict too much with other events the class will run fortnightly for 4 nights only on a Wednesday evening 8 pm til 10 pm, which is the only week night other than Friday available.

There will not be a freestyle component to the night though there will be some music for practice.

Ideally people wishing to attend this course should sign up with a partner, the rationale for this is that at normal ceroc nights practice will be easier to achieve should it be required. Numbers for this course will be limited.

The first block of 4 course nights will run on the 3 Nov, 17th Nov, 1 Dec, 15th Dec. If this proves to be successful then we may continue the course into next year.

The course will run in Edinburgh, Marcos Leisure Centre, Studio 3 and the cost for all four nights, payable in advance, will be £ 25.00/person.

As some of you may recall we tried to run an Advanced Freestyle night on a Friday but had limited success. I have changed the format so it is more interactive. If you are interested in improving your dance please contact me at Dance@ceroc.info, tel 01620 860008 or register interest at one of the Edinburgh Ceroc Nights.

Nice one Scot,

It's about time we had something like this up here.

....now, any chance you could run some of these in Longforgan :wink: as otherwise Melanie and I won't be able to attend :tears:

James

p.s :worthy:

Jive Brummie
5th-October-2004, 06:45 PM

I read Scot's post and in no way thought it suggested the emphasis would be on moves and if I was Scot I would be banging my head on a brick wall that the second post on the thread was suggesting that this *wild paraphrasing* probably won't be much cop cos other ones haven't been.

1) :clap: Scot for having the balls to "just do it" with this and see what happens

2) Southerners: have you no a' clicked YET that we do EVERYTHING better in Scotland ....and that in no way should a negative teaching experience in the South suggest it's likely to be similar here!!!

NB...I KNOW neither of the gents said anything derogatory about Scot, I know they were just giving what are valid views on a subject they have related knowledge of so don't start a "he said she said", I'm just disappointed that the first 3 pages of this thread aren't folkses clapping!!!!!

:yeah:

:rofl: :rofl:

:clap: :clap:

Heather
7th-October-2004, 08:34 AM

:clap: :clap: :rofl:
Well said, Chicklet. You tell those Southerners!!!! :rofl: :rofl:

:hug:
Heather,
XX

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 08:36 AM
....now, any chance you could run some of these in Longforgan :wink: as otherwise Melanie and I won't be able to attend :tears:

where is longforan? :confused:

TheTramp
7th-October-2004, 08:40 AM
Just outside Dundee, on the road going towards Perth...

Trampy

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 08:48 AM
Just outside Dundee, on the road going towards Perth...

Trampy

as in on the way to dundee from glasgow? ok i'm lost!

Bangers & Mash
7th-October-2004, 09:27 AM
where is longforan? :confused:

longforan is here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=330000&Y=730000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=200000&multimap.x=448&multimap.y=164)

aint technology grand :wink:

drathzel
7th-October-2004, 03:35 PM
longforan is here (http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&X=330000&Y=730000&width=700&height=400&gride=&gridn=&srec=0&coordsys=gb&db=freegaz&addr1=&addr2=&addr3=&pc=&advanced=&local=&localinfosel=&kw=&inmap=&table=&ovtype=&zm=0&scale=200000&multimap.x=448&multimap.y=164)

aint technology grand :wink:

got it, thanks!!!

Jive Brummie
7th-October-2004, 05:50 PM
got it, thanks!!!

L - O - N - G - F - O - R - G - A - N

:wink:

Bangers & Mash
7th-October-2004, 05:57 PM

D'oh!!

:blush:

Scot
20th-October-2004, 04:21 PM
filling up quite fast remember if you want to only dance with a partner that is fine

Dance Demon
20th-October-2004, 04:56 PM

Phew...good job it was the G he missed out....it could have been the F...:wink: :whistle: :whistle:

Jive Brummie
20th-October-2004, 09:55 PM
Phew...good job it was the G he missed out....it could have been the F...:wink: :whistle: :whistle:

Well..........one doesn't like to brag :whistle:

JB x x