PDA

View Full Version : Rogues Gallery be named and Shamed

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 04:14 PM
OK it's finally here. the place to name the people who don't dance when asked, who are rude, too big for their own dance shoes, or just smell.

Is anyone going to post :devil:

Adam

Northants Girly
4th-October-2004, 04:28 PM
I have been refused a dance by 3 guys at Northampton (all of which I have never danced with since - of course!) but I don't know their names . . . . however one of them wears braces . . . :wink:

DavidB
4th-October-2004, 04:42 PM
don't dance when asked, who are rude, too big for their own dance shoes, or just smell.If you were talking about Rebel Yell, I'm guilty on all 4 counts.

Lounge Lizard
4th-October-2004, 04:45 PM
Ok not the place for this posting but any guy that asked my Partner Evelyne for a dance at rebel Yell appoligises if she turned you down

At southport some *&@X& droped her and injured her shoulder (now our class was 'safe dance floor dips' but he knew better :angry: :angry: :angry:

Anyway it has got worse, we have two workshops over the next three weekends and I asked her not to dance with anyone and rest it - we danced together but with me leading her left hand .....boy is that hard to do all night.

I know she turned a lot of guys down and did not always get the chance to explain why so sorry :flower:

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 04:48 PM
I have been refused a dance by 3 guys at Northampton (all of which I have never danced with since - of course!) but I don't know their names . . . . however one of them wears braces . . . :wink:

Brilliant, girls watch out for a guy in the north wearing braces. If you see him, just turn him down for a dance and say Adam said it was the right thing to do. Remember, we have no idea what he looks like so be be safe and to avoid rejection, just avoid every man in the North who is wearing braces or even looks like he may have worn braces but is not now just in case he cannot get a dance anymore :eek:

DavidB, you are not allowed to confess, you have to be dropped in it. So we are now looking for anyone who has been turned down by DaveB, or thinks he smells :really:

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 04:50 PM
Ok not the place for this posting but :flower:

Then forgive me for asking the obvious, so why post :whistle:
Adam

MartinHarper
4th-October-2004, 04:54 PM
'safe dance floor dips'

I read that and thought "Aha! All these dips are safe to do on the dance floor!". Perhaps a better title would be "dangerous dips to do in the safety of your own home"?

EDIT: To elaborate on that, a "safe car" is one that has a seatbelt, airbags, roll cage, side impact bars, etc, so that if I mess up my driving and crash into a tree, I'm less likely to die. If messing up some dip causes my partner to severely hurt her shoulder, it is not a "safe dip".

DavidB
4th-October-2004, 04:59 PM
DavidB, you are not allowed to confess, you have to be dropped in it. So we are now looking for anyone who has been turned down by DaveB, or thinks he smellsWill - its your big chance...

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 04:59 PM
I read that and thought "Aha! All these dips are safe to do on the dance floor!". Perhaps a better title would be "dangerous dips to do in the safety of your own home"?

And you gave me neg reps for being off thread :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Adam

MartinHarper
4th-October-2004, 05:05 PM
And you gave me neg reps for being off thread

Did I? I forget. *shrug* But surely misnaming a class is a pretty roguish thing to do? :)

Getting back on thread, I recall seeing a post from Franck asking us to please not name and shame dancers on the forum, for various reasons. Good advice, I feel.

Sparkles
4th-October-2004, 05:08 PM
Will - its your big chance...

Don't you dare, Will - or you'll have me to deal with! :angry:
David, you haven't and you don't - such a gentleman :flower:

CJ
4th-October-2004, 05:10 PM
Getting back on thread, I recall seeing a post from Franck asking us to please not name and shame dancers on the forum, for various reasons. Good advice, I feel.

We, each, must live by our own decisions: and it is only ourselves we must face in the mirror.

(Which is a shame if you're DS :wink: )

Graham
4th-October-2004, 05:15 PM
I'd like to name Adam Nathanson as someone who is clearly one of these dance snobs who think that the dance world stops at the end of the Northern line. Northampton is in the South! :wink:

Gadget
4th-October-2004, 05:17 PM
Anyway it has got worse, we have two workshops over the next three weekends and I asked her not to dance with anyone and rest it - we danced together but with me leading her left hand .....boy is that hard to do all night.
:D yup - I danced with someone at the BFG who said "be gentle, my R-shoulder hurts"; so led a dance only with her left hand. Slipped up a couple of times and caught the right... to dance a whole night like that :worthy: it is hard.

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 05:19 PM
I'd like to name Adam Nathanson as someone who is clearly one of these dance snobs who think that the dance world stops at the end of the Northern line. Northampton is in the South! :wink:

Doh! When did it move? :sick:
What line is it on?
Do the men wear braces :whistle:

Adam

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 05:22 PM
:D yup - I danced with someone at the BFG who said "be gentle, my R-shoulder hurts"; so led a dance only with her left hand. Slipped up a couple of times and caught the right... to dance a whole night like that :worthy: it is hard.

so did she smell then :confused:

Minnie M
4th-October-2004, 05:24 PM
In a previous post I 'hinted' the name of such a person who refused a dance with me - and then got completely slated by the rest of the forumites :tears:

Can we turn this thread around - i.e: following DavidB's admission - who on this forum has turned people down for a dance and for what reasons ?

I have turned down a dance when the music was too bad (IMO) to dance to, but followed it up by asked them when the next good bit of music was played.

CJ
4th-October-2004, 05:27 PM
In a previous post I 'hinted' the name of such a person who refused a dance with me - and then got completely slated by the rest of the forumites :tears:

Well, it serves you right for just hinting!!!! :wink:

Seriously, the time and place is here... :devil:

I know I'd name and shame, (but only Big G and Sparkles have ever turned me down and both for very good reasons...) but not everyone would...

Gadget
4th-October-2004, 05:31 PM
I've only been turned down because people have already changed their shoes into out-doors ones {these folk that leave before the music stops :tut::rolleyes:}

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 05:33 PM
Well, it serves you right for just hinting!!!! :wink:

Seriously, the time and place is here... :devil:
:yeah: no kiddie stuff here, we want names, or a good description, like, he was wearing braces :whistle:

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2004, 05:41 PM
Don't you dare, Will - or you'll have me to deal with! :angry:
David, you haven't and you don't - such a gentleman :flower:
I just assumed DavidB smells of roses, it was YOU that assumed it was a bad smell ! Bad Sparkles ;)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2004, 05:44 PM
We, each, must live by our own decisions: and it is only ourselves we must face in the mirror.

(Which is a shame if you're DS :wink: )
I should go for the roguish hirsuite unkempt look like my DJ hero shouldnt I ? It could hide all sorts of unsightly physical features :)

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 06:33 PM
I got turned down by Gaylord for a dance in Perth....

But, he's promised to bring me maltesers and make it up to me :sick:, so I might forgive him!!

Trampy

Scarlet O Hara
4th-October-2004, 06:41 PM
I've never refused to dance with anyone. Although there are a couple of guys who make me feel uncomfortable, one puts hands where he shouldn't and the other is quite rough. Now some girls might like this ;) , are there any nice ways of saying no to a dance without being rude?

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 06:47 PM
I've never refused to dance with anyone. Although there are a couple of guys who make me feel uncomfortable, one puts hands where he shouldn't and the other is quite rough. Now some girls might like this ;) , are there any nice ways of saying no to a dance without being rude?

Yeup, just give me their names and you wont have to say a word. :whistle:
Has anyone spotted that I have had a bad day today :tears:

Sparkles
4th-October-2004, 09:23 PM
I just assumed DavidB smells of roses, it was YOU that assumed it was a bad smell ! Bad Sparkles ;)

What makes you think I assumed he smelled of anything? :what:
I may have meant he was absent of ... erm ... scent :innocent: (that rhymes :grin: - well, kinda )

Has anyone spotted that I have had a bad day today :tears:

What's the matter? Tell us all about it...

MartinHarper
4th-October-2004, 11:16 PM
who on this forum has turned people down for a dance and for what reasons ?

The first time I went to Bar Bamboo, I started off turning down several dances because the music was too fast, the dance floor was too crowded, and I was too scared of dancing "in public". Still, that's a nightclub, so different etiquette applies.

stewart38
5th-October-2004, 11:58 PM
I got turned down by a lovely dancer once but she is ok we have danced since ,I think she has changed her stripes :wink:

ChrisA
6th-October-2004, 01:16 AM
You say...

"No, thanks, I don't like the way you touch me on the dance floor", and

"No, thanks, you hurt me when you dance with me."

Neither is rude. It seems to me that you don't go dancing to be felt up or yanked about. It's not rude to protect yourself from such behaviour. And there are plenty of decent guys who will do neither of these things.

Chris

bigdjiver
6th-October-2004, 09:52 AM
I've never refused to dance with anyone. Although there are a couple of guys who make me feel uncomfortable, one puts hands where he shouldn't and the other is quite rough. Now some girls might like this ;) , are there any nice ways of saying no to a dance without being rude? What is wrong with "No, thank you". If the guy persists, just repeat "I said ...", slower, and louder. If he even looks like he is going to open his mouth after that you could try "Why don't you ask my friend?" (:devil: pointing to your worst enemy?) :devil:

drathzel
6th-October-2004, 11:12 AM
You say...

"No, thanks, I don't like the way you touch me on the dance floor", and

"No, thanks, you hurt me when you dance with me."

Neither is rude. It seems to me that you don't go dancing to be felt up or yanked about. It's not rude to protect yourself from such behaviour. And there are plenty of decent guys who will do neither of these things.

Chris

I wouldn't ba able to say something like that to someone!

There is a guy at Glasgow JJ (who i have pointed out to a taxi dancer) who the whole time we danced either felt me up or held me so close and tight i couldn't breathe and he stunk of alcohol and this was like the first couple of dances that night. Now sometimes a bit of flirting is fine on the dance floor but i didn't know this guy and he freaked me out as he was all leary and sleazy, My bum and bits belong to me and if you want to touch them you have to ask!

i have steered well clear of him. And for those who have heard me say thank goodness when i have moved to you in the line up, its because i have missed that guy!

I dont know the guys name and i couldn't even give a good description of him but if you go on a tues night you WILL no who i am talking about!

On the other side of the coin there are lots of lovely guys to dance with and i enjoy dancing with them and unless i have a valid reason... ie getting water/going to the toilet/another dance promised, i never turn a dance down!!! :hug:

MartinHarper
6th-October-2004, 11:22 AM
are there any nice ways of saying no to a dance without being rude?

In those situations? Not really, though some ways are ruder than others.
In the case of the wandering hands, I'd go chat to the organiser, and ask them to have a word. Saying no solves the problem for you personally, but just passes it on to other people. Alternatively, "yes, but keep your hands to yourself, ok?", and if s/he doesn't, walk off the dance floor.
In the case of the rough lead, I might try something like "yes, can we try doing air leading?" (or fingertip) or "yes, if you'll try to lead more smoothly this time?", or even "yes, can I lead this one?"