PDA

View Full Version : Intemediate Competitions Tips Please !

under par
4th-October-2004, 01:19 AM
Having entered 4 Dwas competitions I have ( as mentioned in some other threads) taken the plunge and asked a young lady to do the intermediate competition with me at Britroc in less than 2 weeks now.

Due to work and a short golfing holiday our remaining practice time is abot 6 hours in the next 13 days.

My question is, what are your best tips for a competition dancer for a first time entrant?

PS I have already been told 1,000,000 times about smiling more!! :grin:

Yliander
4th-October-2004, 03:57 AM
having been a first time intermediate competitior this year myself - my advice would be

find the moves that work well for you and your partner - and ditch the ones that don't - with only 6 hours training you don't have time to spend trying to make them work

lots of freestyle in your practice sessions with lots of different music - the best way to get a good connection happening is to just dance!

on slightly more technical note - lift your head & look at your partner - this was the single best piece of advice I was given

and then on the day - go out there and have fun!! it will show and when you are having fun you can't help but smile

GOOD LUCK

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 07:47 AM
:yeah:

Enjoying yourselves, and looking like you're enjoying yourselves counts for a lot. Try to forget all the people watching, and just dance with your partner.

Oh, and smile more!!! (1,000,001) :whistle:

Trampy

under par
4th-October-2004, 09:31 AM

Oh, and smile more!!! (1,000,001) :whistle:

Trampy

Cheers Steve knew I could rely on you :rofl:

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 10:05 AM
Cheers Steve knew I could rely on you :rofl:
Anytime big guy! :hug:

Trampy

Little Monkey
4th-October-2004, 10:28 AM
find the moves that work well for you and your partner - and ditch the ones that don't - with only 6 hours training you don't have time to spend trying to make them work

lots of freestyle in your practice sessions with lots of different music - the best way to get a good connection happening is to just dance!

on slightly more technical note - lift your head & look at your partner - this was the single best piece of advice I was given

and then on the day - go out there and have fun!! it will show and when you are having fun you can't help but smile
GOOD LUCK

I entered my first intermediate comp this year, too - dancing with another girl! (To clarify this: Litle Monkey is female!!). We only had one practice session, but dancing lots of freestyle during this sesssion, we found moves that we decided to avoid. We did practice a few fancy moves, but on the day we ended up not using a single one of them!!

I think we got through to the semi-finals just because of SMILING constantly (1,000,002!!), and possibly because of wearing skimpy little school uniforms.....? :rofl:

HAVE FUN!!!! :clap: :clap:

Little Monkey

Lory
4th-October-2004, 10:33 AM
Lory runs in, shouts FISH HOOKS and quickly scarpers! :whistle: :wink: :rofl:

That should make him smile :wink:

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2004, 10:57 AM
I am now entering the Intermediate AT Britroc with a very, VERY scared Lynn. She's flying from Belfast on Thursday night and we're going shopping for outfits the next day. Practice? We're GOING SHOPPING!

So, as we're competing my advice is the following;

look bored
wear jeans and a t-shirt
do your moves away from the judges
slouch
ignore the music
ignore the audience
and whatever you do, DON'T GO SHOPPING :devil:

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 10:59 AM
:clap: YAY. Go Lynn.....

So, whatever you do, have fun, and smile :D

Trampy

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2004, 11:05 AM
:clap: YAY. Go Lynn.....

What about some encouragement for me? I'll be there too - I might be nervous :innocent:

under par
4th-October-2004, 11:16 AM

and possibly because of wearing skimpy little school uniforms.....? :rofl:

HAVE FUN!!!! :clap: :clap:

Little Monkey

Now theres an idea!! A 6 foot 8 inch school unifom clad competitor :rofl:

Lory runs in, shouts FISH HOOKS and quickly scarpers!

That should make him smile

Laugh and laugh more like. :worthy: thankyou for that thought again.

look bored
wear jeans and a t-shirt
do your moves away from the judges
slouch
ignore the music
ignore the audience
and whatever you do, DON'T GO SHOPPING

Okay Andy got all that thankyou :flower:

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 11:17 AM
What about some encouragement for me? I'll be there too - I might be nervous :innocent:
:clap: YAY. Go Lynn :na:

Trampy

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2004, 11:39 AM
:clap: YAY. Go Lynn :na:

Trampy
:rofl:

Lynn
4th-October-2004, 12:06 PM
I am now entering the Intermediate AT Britroc with a very, VERY scared Lynn. :yeah: I must add, I've never been to watch a comp before, (not even seen a comp video!) :what: Andy will have to stop me from falling over with fright never mind dancing! :sick: But it will be fun!

Practice? We're GOING SHOPPING! Getting those priorities right! :clap:

Tiggerbabe
4th-October-2004, 05:52 PM
lift your head & look at your partner - this was the single best piece of advice I was given

:rofl: If UP lifts his head Yliander I doubt very much if he'll be able to see his partner :whistle: :wink:
Have a great time UP - try to relax and enjoy it.
Oh and keep your fingers crossed that you get a decent track :D

Divissima
6th-October-2004, 10:21 AM
More tips involving smiling - but this is a practical one (honest). Limber up your face before you go onto the dancefloor - I'm being serious! - particularly your jaw! Smiling when you are under pressure is a hard thing to do - and I still find that my face siezes up on me when I'm nervous making smiling hard (comes out more like a grimace). So if you limber up your face, you'll at least be able to smile.

Other tips - don't worry about making mistakes, missing catches, misreading leads, etc. I think it's fairly true to say that you won't be marked down for making mistakes, but you may be marked on how you recover from them. If you feel bold enough - and if you remember with the other 1001 things whirling around in your head - try to catch the eye of someone in the audience or the judges and give them a big beaming smile.

Hope you are prepared for people in the audience cheering you on. Best of luck :grin:

Bangers & Mash
6th-October-2004, 10:54 AM
:yeah: I must add, I've never been to watch a comp before, (not even seen a comp video!) :what: Andy will have to stop me from falling over with fright never mind dancing! :sick: But it will be fun!

Getting those priorities right! :clap:

I entered a competition after just 4 months of dancing. Seemed a stupid thing to do at the time and even more stupid as the day got closer but it gave me something to aim for and helped me improve my dancing.

I would suggest that if you are dancing to win, then you are dancing for the wrong reasons at a competition and it will take the fun out of your normal dancing.

If you are dancing because you really enjoy it, because you dance well with your partner and because you want to dance the best dance you can then you have all the ingredients for a storming success.

Once on the floor, it is no different to a normal dance venue with just a handful of couples on the dance floor. I was more nervous in the run-up to the dance than the actual dance.

As for the result - there will always be better dancers than you and always worse - it's just a case of who's on the floor with you at the time.

Feel confident, look confident, smile.

good luck :grin:

DianaS
6th-October-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey Andy,
:hug: :hug: :hug:
Go for it My man
I really wish that I could see you all! I've never been to a competition!
Good luck!
D

Jive Brummie
6th-October-2004, 08:01 PM
I entered a competition after just 4 months of dancing. Seemed a stupid thing to do at the time and even more stupid as the day got closer but it gave me something to aim for and helped me improve my dancing.

I would suggest that if you are dancing to win, then you are dancing for the wrong reasons at a competition and it will take the fun out of your normal dancing.

If you are dancing because you really enjoy it, because you dance well with your partner and because you want to dance the best dance you can then you have all the ingredients for a storming success.

Once on the floor, it is no different to a normal dance venue with just a handful of couples on the dance floor. I was more nervous in the run-up to the dance than the actual dance.

As for the result - there will always be better dancers than you and always worse - it's just a case of who's on the floor with you at the time.

Feel confident, look confident, smile.

good luck :grin:

Read this post with some interest and feel like I'm setting myself up for a flaming..but here goes (biggest **** up runner up 2005, goes to......).

I've competed at different things as I've grown up. The most recent being MJ. And I can honestly say, that every time i've entered a competition it's been with the intention of doing the very best that I could. Now if you think you have a chance of winning....then train to win, otherwise train to do the absolute best you can do, because after the comp, i can pretty much guarantee that you'll be thinking....'if we'd done this or that better, we could have got into this round or have been placed' etc etc.

Mine and FC's next comp is the Jivemasters darn sarf, and being perfectly honest, we're practising to do the best we can. Now we're realistic and know fine well we're just making up the numbers on this occassion, but it doesn't stop us having a glint of hope that, you never know, we might be 'dead spawny' and get placed. You just have no idea what will happen on the day. You may dance fantastic, so well that it's as if you're a man/woman possessed. On other days, you'll wish you were possessed, because you might have danced better............... But, i really do feel that you have to enter it with some hope that you may achieve a placing.

I know this is going to get flamed and i know it makes FC and I sound like serious competition freaks, but what's the point putting yourself and your partner through so much grief if you think it's completely futile from the start.

Enter the comp, walk onto the dance floor like champions, 'smile' (don't grimace), enjoy yourself and ignore everyone else on the floor.....and that includes the judges...(nobody likes an a$$ kisser). And, what i feel to be the most important thing.....dance for each other.

Have a brilliant time..........wish i was there to enjoy it with you all.

James x x

Bangers & Mash
6th-October-2004, 08:16 PM
I know this is going to get flamed and i know it makes FC and I sound like serious competition freaks, but what's the point putting yourself and your partner through so much grief if you think it's completely futile from the start.

No need to worry about getting flamed by me. I agree.

The danger is when one is more competitive than the other. I always aim to win or at least do the best I can - but I am also happy to accept defeat when it is dished out and use the experience as practise for the next competition.

The danger is when your partner isn't quite so philosophical (spelling!) about losing. In this event, the dancing is no longer fun.

Go for broke by all means - but never lose sight of why you are dancing in the first place - for fun!

I hope to compete at Blackpool - but I want a partner who is good fun to dance with, who is as determined as I am to do the best we possibly can, and who (should we not win) will continue to dance for fun and use the experience as an opportunity rather than a failing.

Winning requires confidence, style, timing, let the girl do her thing, make her look good, and smile a lot. Much easier if you are having fun.

TheTramp
6th-October-2004, 08:45 PM
But, i really do feel that you have to enter it with some hope that you may achieve a placing.
But, if people were realistic, that'd probably mean about 5 couples entering every competition.

Which means that either the competitions wouldn't be actually worth running, or they'd be full of people with unrealistic ambitions.

Most people (I think) enter knowing that they really don't stand any chance of being placed. They enter for many different reasons. Some will enter just for the fun. Some will enter as it'll make them focus on improving their dancing. Some will enter to do better than they did last year. Some will enter with a goal to reach the 2nd round, or reach the semi-final, or to get to the final.

For me, most of the enjoyment is going along for the day, meeting friends that I don't see often. Getting lots of dances with said friends in the freestyle opportunities, and just having a damn good time. I once entered a competition, focusing on winning. It was the worst day I've ever had while dancing (even though I achieved the best results I've ever had). And I decided there and then that winning really, really, really isn't everything.

So, sorry James. Don't agree with you. But I'm not going to flame you :flower:

Steve

Jive Brummie
6th-October-2004, 08:46 PM
No need to worry about getting flamed by me. I agree.

The danger is when one is more competitive than the other. I always aim to win or at least do the best I can - but I am also happy to accept defeat when it is dished out and use the experience as practise for the next competition.

The danger is when your partner isn't quite so philosophical (spelling!) about losing. In this event, the dancing is no longer fun.

Go for broke by all means - but never lose sight of why you are dancing in the first place - for fun!

I hope to compete at Blackpool - but I want a partner who is good fun to dance with, who is as determined as I am to do the best we possibly can, and who (should we not win) will continue to dance for fun and use the experience as an opportunity rather than a failing.

Winning requires confidence, style, timing, let the girl do her thing, make her look good, and smile a lot. Much easier if you are having fun.

:worthy:

Jive Brummie
6th-October-2004, 09:04 PM
But, if people were realistic, that'd probably mean about 5 couples entering every competition.

Which means that either the competitions wouldn't be actually worth running, or they'd be full of people with unrealistic ambitions.

Most people (I think) enter knowing that they really don't stand any chance of being placed. They enter for many different reasons. Some will enter just for the fun. Some will enter as it'll make them focus on improving their dancing. Some will enter to do better than they did last year. Some will enter with a goal to reach the 2nd round, or reach the semi-final, or to get to the final.

For me, most of the enjoyment is going along for the day, meeting friends that I don't see often. Getting lots of dances with said friends in the freestyle opportunities, and just having a damn good time. I once entered a competition, focusing on winning. It was the worst day I've ever had while dancing (even though I achieved the best results I've ever had). And I decided there and then that winning really, really, really isn't everything.

So, sorry James. Don't agree with you. But I'm not going to flame you :flower:

Steve

I guess I'm just being honest with myself and others then. Competition is important to me and important to FC. It's our way of grading ourselves next to others who'm we admire and aspire to be like. We might be in or near to our 30's but we still have hero's....and it's these people who we've put on a pedestal that we want to be like (using our own style of course!!). Without these ambitions, what would be the point of entering competition.....for us, there wouldn't be any. It's our way of testing ourselves and i believe other people have the same attitude. Competition is healthy. And if people are being unrealistc when competing...then bully for them. But it's these tiny little thing's nestling in the back of our heads, called 'hope' and 'ambition' that gets some of us through the day.

I used to run. In fact i used to run a lot. In the end i thought i'd compete, because i was putting in soooooooo much effort that i wanted to see if i was any good. And i was!! I competed for myself, then i competed at club level then i competed at service level for the RAF. All through this time i was realistic. I knew when entering the more senior level races i wouldn't get placed, but if i'd entered these races thinking i was already beaten, then i might as well have walked the course instead. The point i'm still trying to make is that it's ok to have ambition, it's ok to walk onto the floor hoping to win or get placed and it's ok to compete.....

J x

TheTramp
6th-October-2004, 09:21 PM
Of course there's nothing wrong with having ambition. I hope that I didn't say that. I just think that it has to be tempered with realism. And this statement isn't aimed in any direction what-so-ever.

I just think that most people won't have the goal of getting placed. They'll have other goals, which are probably more within their grasp. That's still ambition. Getting better is still an ambition, which doesn't require placing, or even competing to achieve.

For those that have the possibility of achieving a placing, then it's reasonable to aim for that goal, and have the ambition to do it, then fair enough. And I don't think that there's anything wrong with that. And I really hope that you and Mel do fantastically well down at the jive masters. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Final note. I agree that competition CAN be healthy. But only if it's approached in the right way. I've competed at many things over the years. Sometimes with the aim of winning. Often with the aim of doing my best and enjoying myself. In all the other sports and events I've competed in, I've seen other people get themselves worked up into a state over it, and (especially in my hobby, which I do for enjoyment) I wouldn't want to be like them.... But again, that's just me....

Trampy

TheTramp
6th-October-2004, 09:27 PM
Incidentally. One last point. I'm not sure that doing well in competitions is the best or only way of measuring your abilities at dancing (that's the generic, rather than the specific 'you'). It's one way. But another way is if people are enjoying watching you dance (and speaking for myself, I certainly do enjoy watching you and FC dance), and whether or not you enjoy the dance yourself (you seem to be!).

I think I'd prefer to be judged on that, rather than on my competition wins. Though, again, that's me, and I'm not saying that any other way is wrong... :flower:

Trampy

Jon L
6th-October-2004, 11:40 PM
If you're a guy beware using too many drops and seducers - especially if David B. is judging you! :what:

Seriously though - when I did ceroc champs 2002 I did about 8 hours practice and we ended up in second round and my style has improved since then (looking at the videos taken this year I can see it! )

I think just look at it, if you get in the next round - treat it as a bonus

Lynn
7th-October-2004, 12:20 AM
I just think that most people won't have the goal of getting placed. They'll have other goals, which are probably more within their grasp. That's still ambition. Getting better is still an ambition, which doesn't require placing, or even competing to achieve. :yeah: My 'ambition' is just to have a go. I'm nowhere near good enough to have any ambitions beyond that - but I think it will inspire me and challenge me to be better. And my other 'goal' is to have fun. (And not be so scared I fall over :rofl: )

Gojive
7th-October-2004, 12:31 AM
My dance partner (Val) and I, are competing in the Mini-Masters final heat this Sunday. Having competed and, in our opinion, failed miserably earlier this year at Hammersmith, our goal is simply to get through this heat!. If we can do that, we will be extremely happy :) .

We have worked on a few things over the last few weeks, and taken on board lots of advice form various people. I will post a list of some of the things we've looked at, next week. If we get through this heat, then take these as helpful hints. If we don't, then take them as things not to do!! :wink:

Finally, to anyone entering competition dance, GOOD LUCK!....we know first hand just how nerve-wracking it can be! :sick:

Lynn
7th-October-2004, 12:42 AM
we know first hand just how nerve-wracking it can be! :sick: Well I'm not the slightest bit nervous...

I'm scared... :rofl:

My dance partner (Val) and I, are competing in the Mini-Masters final heat this Sunday. All the best for Sunday - Go Gojive!

Jive Brummie
7th-October-2004, 06:02 PM
And I really hope that you and Mel do fantastically well down at the jive masters. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you...

Trampy

I'll make sure i'll pass the sentiment on to MelANIE.

James x x

:angry:

Jive Brummie
7th-October-2004, 06:11 PM
Incidentally. One last point. I'm not sure that doing well in competitions is the best or only way of measuring your abilities at dancing (that's the generic, rather than the specific 'you').

I think I'd prefer to be judged on that, rather than on my competition wins.
Trampy

Interesting point and one i agree with to an extent.

However, if you were, say an athlete and somebody said you could be trained by an olympic champion or that guy over there who likes running......what would most people pick. I'm not suggesting for a minute that everyone would pick the olympic dude but there's a pretty good chance he'd end up training the many rather than the few. To that end, why would this be so? Surely because people regard achievement as being some form of qualification??? Then you have to consider though, that not all greats compete.....hmmmmm

Any truth in this...?? I'm not saying wether i agree with this or not but would be interested in hearing other's opinions on the subject...

James x x

DianaS
7th-October-2004, 08:23 PM
:yeah: My 'ambition' is just to have a go. I'm nowhere near good enough to have any ambitions beyond that - but I think it will inspire me and challenge me to be better. And my other 'goal' is to have fun. (And not be so scared I fall over :rofl: )
Bless you
I still worry about that too!
You go for it gal
I'll be cheering!!
:cheers:

Gadget
8th-October-2004, 10:06 AM
However, if you were, say an athlete and somebody said you could be trained by an olympic champion or that guy over there who likes running......what would most people pick.
Good anology if you were a teacher {yea, I know} But what about those trainers who produce winners but have never been a winner themselves?

Then you have to consider though, that not all greats compete.....hmmmmm
Any truth in this...?? I'm not saying wether i agree with this or not but would be interested in hearing other's opinions on the subject...
Franck? I would rate him very highly in both ability and teaching - I don't think he has competed (?) {Except in Jivemasters - with Lorna, another great who I don't think competes}
There are a couple of ladies I dance with that are really good and I think would do well in a competition if they competed (with the right partner {not me:blush:})

Jive Brummie
8th-October-2004, 10:33 AM
Sorry Gadget,

I'm having a feeling ill on a friday morning moment, and am struggling to see your point......

Without sounding like a complete idiot, you couldn't explain it a bit clearer for the thicky english/welsh adopted scot living in longforGan could you?

Ta

James :cheers:

Andy McGregor
8th-October-2004, 11:11 AM
Interesting point and one i agree with to an extent.

However, if you were, say an athlete and somebody said you could be trained by an olympic champion or that guy over there who likes running......what would most people pick. I'm not suggesting for a minute that everyone would pick the olympic dude but there's a pretty good chance he'd end up training the many rather than the few. To that end, why would this be so? Surely because people regard achievement as being some form of qualification??? Then you have to consider though, that not all greats compete.....hmmmmm

James x x

I would like to agree and disagree at the same time. On the one hand, I think that if you're going to compete with any chance of winning you would better coached by someone who has either won or coached people who've won. But what about those people who compete for fun. Wouldn't they prefer a coach who made it fun? And that might not be the exacting, single-minded Olympiad - although it might be.

And what about those people who want to do their chosen activity entirely for fun and don't intend to compete at all. Who'd be the best coach for them - I say Mr/Ms Funster every time.

And on the subject of winning, I have this to say. Pick an objective which is achievable whilst being ambitious. For a Marathon runner this might be the setting of a new PB: for a couple competing in an MJ competition it might be getting the biggest laugh from the crowd (mine) or getting through the first round (Sue's), or making the final (my big ambition) or even not falling over (Lynn). In this way we can all enjoy a sense of acheivment and our own personal victory :clap:

p.s. I will probably be holding a very scared Lynn one inch off the ground in the Intermediate so she stays the right way up :devil:

Gadget
8th-October-2004, 12:39 PM
I'm having a feeling ill on a friday morning moment, and am struggling to see your point....
I think I was trying to say that actually winning a competition is not the only good credentials for being able to teach others to win competitions (or to teach in general)

I was also trying to think on examples of great dancers who don't compete (and who could teach you enough to do well in competitions)

As to the drive to enter a competition - at the end of the day, the motivation behind entering does not matter: What matters is that during your heats you have fun and dance as well as you can. That's it. Anything else is out of your controll and not worth bothering about.

Jive Brummie
8th-October-2004, 03:27 PM
I think I was trying to say that actually winning a competition is not the only good credentials for being able to teach others to win competitions (or to teach in general)

I was also trying to think on examples of great dancers who don't compete (and who could teach you enough to do well in competitions)

As to the drive to enter a competition - at the end of the day, the motivation behind entering does not matter: What matters is that during your heats you have fun and dance as well as you can. That's it. Anything else is out of your controll and not worth bothering about.

Ta, for clearing that up.........

erm....I think i agree... :sick: