PDA

View Full Version : Starting from scratch

cerocmetro
1st-October-2004, 01:27 AM
Well most of you know that Mandy and I are moving to New Zealand in November. We have taken over Ceroc in Wellington for our sins and look forward to getting it going.

Ok so here is the picture. Wellington is a young educated City. There is Ceroc and some salsa classes and not much else.

So with a fairly fresh start what would your ideal class, venue be?

Cerocsters?

We will be looking for teachers to bring over once a month from the UK, any offers?

Maybe a fusion of Ceroc and Salsa classes? mmm need a good name?

The standard in NZ is high technically but it could be argued they are a bit behind in musicality and certainly not a bloos culture. :waycool: Now I have taught my first Bloos workshop this has got to be on the cards. (Lisa can I borrow you over there?) :whistle:

What would you change about the way MJ is taught. What we will be able to do is try out new concepts as new models and then if they work, bring them back here.

Your ideas please, not who would you want as teachers, but what kind of peopel would you want as teachers/ Class sizes, types of venue, price, music, what styles of dancing and then what sort of mix? Your ideas please and don't be afraid to let your imaginations run wild :wink:

Debster is already there so that is a good start :yeah:

Adam
PS if you fancy a visit to our opening night I know you guys from Brighton like to travel it is only about a 30 hour journey. The M25 can take you longer to get to a venue in London :whistle: If you go anticlockwise to get there, no semi-circle required (or is it clockwise), you should get there before you leave.

If I get it right the amount of times I have to travel back here, when we shift back in 5 years I should be younger than when I left. (I wonder if my hair will grow back? :waycool:

Gary
1st-October-2004, 03:40 AM
We will be looking for teachers to bring over once a month from the UK, any offers?

If you're looking for international guest teachers, I believe there are a few decent ones who are closer to NZ than the UK teachers are?

Robin
1st-October-2004, 07:13 AM

So what ... no DJ invites ??? or is coming back to run things and visit "relatives" just a cover up to go through through Tezi's latest tracks ?
:whistle: :wink:

Minnie M
1st-October-2004, 07:52 AM
I'm available for baby sitting :whistle: (when Mandy's family are at the classes)

foxylady
1st-October-2004, 10:05 AM
If I get it right the amount of times I have to travel back here, when we shift back in 5 years I should be younger than when I left. (I wonder if my hair will grow back? :waycool:

If, after 5 years living in NZ, you choose to come back, I'll eat my hat...

cerocmetro
1st-October-2004, 01:00 PM
If you're looking for international guest teachers, I believe there are a few decent ones who are closer to NZ than the UK teachers are?

I have already been in discussions with both Nicky and Mark about shipping teachers in from Oz and also NZ have some great teachers of their own.

We want to really put Wellington on the map and we will bringem in from everywhere.

Adam

Kirstygirl
1st-October-2004, 01:04 PM
Hi Adam,

I'd be very interested in guest teaching as would I think would Julian (Peterborough). Julian's emmigrating to Tauranga in November and I'm planning to go down in Feb for about a year. I have all my visa's in place including a vacation work visa so there shouldn't be any issues any we're only about an hours flight away.

Regardless of whether we teach or not, we'll definitely be coming down for dance so we look forward to seeing you soon down under.

Kirsty (Peterborough)

cerocmetro
1st-October-2004, 01:24 PM
Hi Adam,

I'd be very interested in guest teaching as would I think would Julian (Peterborough). Julian's emmigrating to Tauranga in November and I'm planning to go down in Feb for about a year. I have all my visa's in place including a vacation work visa so there shouldn't be any issues any we're only about an hours flight away.

Regardless of whether we teach or not, we'll definitely be coming down for dance so we look forward to seeing you soon down under.Kirsty Peterborough)

Wicked, look forward to it. :clap:

Mandy tells me Tauranga is a lovely place, Kinda like Southend but take out everything you don't like about Southend, all the shops and arcades, chuck some sand down instead of stones, (sorry shingle), take away all the louts, string vests, knotted hankies, noise, pollution, traffic, tourist traps, etc etc etc and you have Tauranga :whistle: Actually the only thing they have in common is 8 letters. :D (neg reps Adam before Mr Harper gives them to me for being off thread). :tears:

Really look forward to having you teach and we can sort out dates as soon as you get settled. Are you coming to JiveMasters?

Adam

bigdjiver
1st-October-2004, 03:03 PM
"New Zealand is Scotland done right."

My sister moved there, and loves it.

philsmove
1st-October-2004, 03:50 PM
"New Zealand is Scotland done right.".

If Scotland had NZ’s weather if would move back to Edinburgh tomorrow

TheTramp
1st-October-2004, 05:22 PM
"New Zealand is Scotland done right."

My sister moved there, and loves it.
Sorry?!?

Scotland is "Scotland done right"!!!

Trampy

Kirstygirl
1st-October-2004, 05:59 PM
Not sure jet about jive masters. I'd love to go but it's a case of whether I can get time off work. If i can make it i'll let you know so we can have a chat,
Kirsty

Bangers & Mash
2nd-October-2004, 03:14 PM
Maybe a fusion of Ceroc and Salsa classes? mmm need a good name?

How about Seroc or Calsa :whistle:

What would you change about the way MJ is taught. What we will be able to do is try out new concepts as new models and then if they work, bring them back here.

All the girls should look like Lisa :wink: :blush:

Your ideas please, not who would you want as teachers, but what kind of peopel would you want as teachers/ Class sizes, types of venue, price, music, what styles of dancing and then what sort of mix? Your ideas please and don't be afraid to let your imaginations run wild :wink:

Okay, imagination running wild:

1 - Regular Ceroc nights as per normal - i.e. beginner, intermediate
2 - Regular intermediate, advanced evening for those that can and with seating for those that want to watch
3 - handouts of what the moves were, and a video - perhaps publish them on your own website
4 - regular "ceroc days" - which include a mixture of workshops including musical interpretation, finding/following the beat, leading and following, blues, simple salsa, simple tango, etc
5 - mentors for new beginners (not just taxis), but people that new beginners can go to for improvement, questions and even just dances with feedback
6 - new members given a list of dos and don'ts (as per the dips and drops handout at Southport) - to include aggressive leading (cf. ouch my arms hurts) and personal hygiene (cf. gagging for a dance)
7 - rogues gallery of ceroc snobs (that might be pushing it!)

PS if you fancy a visit to our opening night...

which is when?

It was great to meet you at BFG and also to do your blues workshop. Even if you were still looking for inspiration in the hotel bar at 2am the night before.
:clap:

Good luck to you both with your new venture and I can't wait to sample some of the NZ ceroc nights. Hoping to be over later this year or early next year.

Bangers

Lory
2nd-October-2004, 05:01 PM
:yeah:

3 - handouts of what the moves were, and a video - perhaps publish them on your own website

feedback

6 - new members given a list of dos and don'ts (as per the dips and drops handout at Southport) - to include aggressive leading (cf. ouch my arms hurts) and personal hygiene (cf. gagging for a dance)

:yeah:
I think these are great idea's but maybe it would be slightly more practical to have only one printout which lists all of the begginers moves, listed AND explained.
And then, a separate complimentary chart, with a list of the moves, where people can tick the moves they've learnt in any particular night and refer back to the beginners moves list!
The chart will give a clear indication of what moves have been covered and which need to be learnt.
Therefore you only need to have 2 standard sheets for all, no matter what week they join!

Further on from this and maybe not so practical (but we're letting our imaginations run wild here :D ) there could also be a section on the chart, for optional personal assessment for each move, and a comments and tips box on how to improve, to be filled in by the teacher or appointed Taxi's after a brief assessment.

The idea of practical beginners and intermediate video's/DVD's is great, it would also be a really nice idea, if there were some sort of library system in each club, People could borrow a video/DVD for a set number of weeks, for a small fee, with a high refundable deposit? :nice:

Robin
2nd-October-2004, 05:41 PM
Further on from this and maybe not so practical (but we're letting our imaginations run wild here :D ) there could also be a section on the chart, for optional personal assessment for each move, and a comments and tips box on how to improve, to be filled in by the teacher or appointed Taxi's after a brief assessment.

Followed by a GSCE ? (or whatever its being replaced with :confused: )

MartinHarper
2nd-October-2004, 06:04 PM
Followed by a GSCE ?

Perhaps there should be a belt system, as in martial arts?

"I'm a black T-shirt in Modern Jive"...

Robin
2nd-October-2004, 06:12 PM
Perhaps there should be a belt system, as in martial arts?

....." 3rd dan sneakers"

:rofl:

Lory
2nd-October-2004, 06:32 PM
Followed by a GSCE ? (or whatever its being replaced with :confused: )
I know your only pulling my leg Robin :wink: :hug: but just to clarify, for benefit of others (as we know how some people on here take things very seriously and THEY may not realise your joking ) the assessment would be purely at the request of the beginner, (as stated in my post, 'optional'), who may just want to assure themselves they are doing it correctly and may want some added tips to improve :o

In saying that, Adam could invent the 'Nathanson guild of perfection award certification system,' with a full passing out party parade! :waycool: :wink:

Robin
2nd-October-2004, 06:35 PM
I know your only pulling my leg Robin :wink: :hug: but just to clarify, for benefit of others (as we know how some people on here take things very seriously and THEY may not realise your joking ) the assessment would be purely at the request of the beginner, (as stated in my post, 'optional'), who may just want to assure themselves they are doing it correctly and may want some added tips to improve :o

In saying that, Adam could invent the 'Nathanson guild of perfection award certification system,' with a full passing out party parade! :waycool: :wink:

would that be optional hair ?

Lory
2nd-October-2004, 06:36 PM

Hey, the two could blend perfectly! At the passing out party, you get your Black T shirt! :worthy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Lisa
4th-October-2004, 11:24 AM
(Lisa can I borrow you over there?) :whistle:

Absolutely YES! You can borrow me anytime! :clap: :drool:

I’m positive your new venture will be a roaring success. Wellington Ceroc are so lucky to be gaining you and Mandy. What a team!

All the best, :hug:
Lisa x

jivecat
4th-October-2004, 02:29 PM
library system [/B] in each club, People could borrow a video/DVD for a set number of weeks, for a small fee, with a high refundable deposit? :nice:

Excellent idea, Lory.

Gadget
4th-October-2004, 03:55 PM
Excellent idea, Lory.
One that I'm sure Franck has implemented (at least I heard Lornal mention something like this - I wasn't paying too much attention at the time :blush: - I think it was for Ceroc Begginers DVD's on a buy-back scheme)

cerocmetro
4th-October-2004, 04:07 PM
How about Seroc or Calsa :whistle:

All the girls should look like Lisa :wink: :blush:

1 - Regular Ceroc nights as per normal - i.e. beginner, intermediate
2 - Regular intermediate, advanced evening for those that can and with seating for those that want to watch
4 - regular "ceroc days" - which include a mixture of workshops including musical interpretation, finding/following the beat, leading and following, blues, simple salsa, simple tango, etc
5 - mentors for new beginners (not just taxis), but people that new beginners can go to for improvement, questions and even just dances with feedback
7 - rogues gallery of ceroc snobs (that might be pushing it!)

which is when?

It was great to meet you at BFG and also to do your blues workshop. Even if you were still looking for inspiration in the hotel bar at 2am the night before.
:clap:

Good luck to you both with your new venture and I can't wait to sample some of the NZ ceroc nights. Hoping to be over later this year or early next year.

Bangers

Some good ideas in here, but mentors drew my attention. This is something we are starting here in about three weeks. Each new member is assigned a mentor who will help, coach and look after their assignees. There is a reward for the mentors if they keep the newbiees for a few weeks.

Personally I love the rogues gallery, OK time to start a new thread, bet no-one posts. :devil:

Adam