PDA

View Full Version : The Jitterbug Club, Edinburgh

Lindsay
28th-September-2004, 12:31 PM
Have you been along to Edinburgh's newest dance venue, the Jitterbug Club, yet??

This Wednesday (29th Sept.) we will be teaching a basic jitterbug class, and also the famous "Charleston Stroll". Thanks to everyone who has been coming along so far, we have had a really good turn-out each week, and and the feedback has been very positive.

The Jitterbug Club is Wednesday nights from 8.30-10.30pm at the Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 The Pleasance, Edinburgh. Classes are taught by Brady & Lindsay.

Venue map here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=326373&y=673144&z=0&sv=EH8+9RP&st=2&pc=EH8+9RP&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf)

Dreadful Scathe
28th-September-2004, 01:28 PM
Have you been along to Edinburgh's newest dance venue, the Jitterbug Club, yet??

This Wednesday (29th Sept.) we will be teaching a basic jitterbug class, and also the famous "Charleston Stroll". Thanks to everyone who has been coming along so far, we have had a really good turn-out each week, and and the feedback has been very positive.

The Jitterbug Club is Wednesday nights from 8.30-10.30pm at the Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 The Pleasance, Edinburgh. Classes are taught by Brady & Lindsay.

Venue map here (http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=326373&y=673144&z=0&sv=EH8+9RP&st=2&pc=EH8+9RP&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf)
excellent it is too :)

Dreadful Scathe
29th-September-2004, 12:16 PM
whos going to Boogie Woogie tonight then ? :D

Brady
29th-September-2004, 01:07 PM

Will see you there tonight Mr. Smurf!!!

Hope to see others there for some Jitterbuggin'. The dance style is fast and floaty and originated as a variation of the jive partner style from 50’s America. It's a toned-down version of swing dance that suits boogie woogie, rock'n'roll, big band and swing music.

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 10:42 PM

Once again a really good night. Thanks Lindsay.

Now I know where all the ceroc'ers who can do footwork hang out. Hope it's contagious :)

smoothmover
3rd-October-2004, 09:42 AM
There's a new swing night at Jitterbug Classes the Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 The Pleasance, Edinburgh on WEDNESDAY NIGHTS. If you want to add a little something to your ceroc or just want a change then this is for you.

Great music, excellent teachers and fun times to be had.

See you all there.

Lindsay
4th-October-2004, 12:27 PM
who r u smooth mover :)
please reveal yourself.....

Lindsay
4th-October-2004, 12:27 PM
:blush: I didn't mean that...

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2004, 06:03 PM
oh yes you did...

...I dont even know who Bangers N Mash is.....

...will not see you on Wednesday..in Reading...dunno if Ill go to Hipsters, still got a sore foot, will be testing it Tuesday night.

Dancing Girlie
4th-October-2004, 06:36 PM
:blush: I didn't mean that...

I agree with DS...oh yes you did!!! :wink:

Good class Lindsay, really enjoyed it!

I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to incorporate a bit of nifty footwork with their regular jiving. :waycool:

Wendy :flower:

p.s. Who is smoothmover then???

Tweetie
4th-October-2004, 09:51 PM
I will see you guys there on Wednesday :)
So what are we doing this week - I enjoyed the charleston thingy last week, especially that wee baldy guy grunting at the "ooo-ahhhh" bit :eek:

Bangers & Mash
5th-October-2004, 12:19 AM
...I dont even know who Bangers N Mash is.....

nob'dy special - but I'll introduce myself this wednesday

Chicklet
5th-October-2004, 08:55 AM
who r u smooth mover :)
with a name like that I guessed Gilbert!!

Twinkle Toes
5th-October-2004, 10:59 AM
Hi Folks,
have been to the classes and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Would recommend it to anyone, but don't take my word for it, go try for yourself.
Personally, I shall be looking forward to Wednesday evening.

TT x

ps. easy parking as well !

Lindsay
5th-October-2004, 05:07 PM
with a name like that I guessed Gilbert!!
don't think so, he steers clear of fori (?plural if forum?)
but yes, he is rather smooth :wink:

this wed. we'll be teaching some more 6-beat basic moves for the 1st class, brady has some cool stuff for this one.
in 2nd class, some variations on the 'rock step' for the more daring 'jitterbugger' ...ooo-er missus.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-October-2004, 06:10 PM
I will see you guys there on Wednesday :)
So what are we doing this week - I enjoyed the charleston thingy last week, especially that wee baldy guy grunting at the "ooo-ahhhh" bit :eek:
you talking about Bruntz ? :) hmmmm...wonder if THATS Bangers N Mash ;)

Bangers & Mash
5th-October-2004, 06:16 PM

Nope! Sorry, not that interesting :whistle:

Dance Demon
5th-October-2004, 11:43 PM
Here's another daring 'bugger that wiill be jittering along............interesting to see what smoother than Guinness has in store this week..... :wink:

Lindsay
6th-October-2004, 12:04 PM

I think I know who it is!! :wink: And not who you think DS.

Brady
6th-October-2004, 12:51 PM
Here's another daring 'bugger that wiill be jittering along............interesting to see what smoother than Guinness has in store this week..... :wink:

Well Mr. Demon, we might just get the guys doing a bit more moving about tonight with a couple simpler variations in the first class. And as Lindsay mentioned, some footwork variations in the 2nd class for the 'daring' jitterbugger! These sort of variations are what will make your dancing look more advanced and flashy as they add flavour to your basic patterns which you know well, rather than trying to do complicated twisted up moves poorly. These concepts can also be adapted to other dance styles, so if you want to add some style to your dancing (jive, swing, etc) to look like an advanced dancer, make your way to The Jitterbug Club on a Wednesday night.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-October-2004, 06:28 PM
I know Ive been busy this week but did somene say Bruntz was interestng ? :)

Lindsay
8th-October-2004, 06:46 PM
You were missed DS... if if only as the poor guy with the 'sore foot'. A lame excuse if you'll pardon the pun. We had a fab night, a great crowd with the usual heckling from Smooth Mover and Chris. Had some 1st-timers who were fantastic dancers, good to see new faces. Still keeping the 1st class simple for newbies, and the 2nd a bit more challenging in terms of style/footwork variations. So if people want to come along & give it a try it'd be good to see you there!
:D

Dance Demon
8th-October-2004, 06:50 PM
I know Ive been busy this week but did somene say Bruntz was interestng ? :)

Is that interesting as in........"Steve..interesting...Davis......":D

Twinkle Toes
12th-October-2004, 11:37 PM
Is that interesting as in........"Steve..interesting...Davis......":D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh Demon, you can be a real DEMON sometimes ............. but we still luv ya!

TT xx

Twinkle Toes
12th-October-2004, 11:39 PM
Hey Brady & Linz,

What's on the agenda for this week ?

... just getting my shoes warmed up !

TT xx

Lindsay
13th-October-2004, 01:25 PM
hi TT

tonight will be the basics to start (8.30), a simple routine (includes some new stuff, bit of west coast thrown in, and some familiar moves). 2nd class (9.30) is a bit more challenging, faster music and variations for both lead/follow.

music = cool blend of boogie woogie, jive & swing.

remember - '2 for 1 offer' throughout October- bring somebody new & you both get in for 1/2 price!

see you later :cheers: :clap:

Twinkle Toes
13th-October-2004, 05:45 PM
remember - '2 for 1 offer' throughout October- bring somebody new & you both get in for 1/2 price!

see you later :cheers: :clap:

Now there's a bargain !

TT x

Lindsay
18th-October-2004, 07:54 PM
Come along this Wednesday to learn some smoooooth footwork, & dance to some of the best boogie woogie, big band and swing music! You can incorporate jitterbug into modern jive, or take it on as your new dance style!

Classes every Wednesday at the Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 The Pleasance, Edinburgh. Beginners at 8.30pm, improvers class 9.30pm. Freestyle dancing in between & after classes. We've had a great turn-out so far, and lots of new faces every week :)

Different class material each week, 1st class suitable for absolute beginners, and stay on for something a bit more challenging in the 2nd class. Freestyle with some of Edinburgh's best dancers and enjoy dancing to a great blend of swing/jive/boogie woogie music! Please bring your own refreshments.

:clap: :cheers:

Twinkle Toes
20th-October-2004, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Lindsay]

Classes every Wednesday at the Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 The Pleasance, Edinburgh. Beginners at 8.30pm, improvers class 9.30pm. Freestyle dancing in between & after classes. We've had a great turn-out so far, and lots of new faces every week :)

Must admit, it's nice to see some new faces, not that I'm fed up with the old ones of course !
:nice:

TT x

Aleks
20th-October-2004, 12:39 PM
Must admit, it's nice to see some new faces, not that I'm fed up with the old ones of course !
:nice:

TT x
I'd watch who you're calling OLD...... :wink:

Lindy Hopeful
22nd-October-2004, 12:22 PM
Just to fill you in on a new weekly night being staged by Lindsay & Brady of the Jitterbug Club...I went and will return to their Wednesday slot and had a very nice time...the folks are mainly begininers with a few die hards for good measure but they are very patient and tolerant of learning a new but forgotten dance craze like Boogie Woogie (besides its fun,fresh with a social feel to the evening also) The venue is good with nice music and good ambience. So if you have a Wednesday night free and you want to meet some folks that you wouldn't necessarily see on the circuit then I would recommend you give it a whirl.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Tweetie
1st-November-2004, 10:43 PM
Wednesday nights at the Jitterbug Club really seem to be going great now..... its really good to see so many faces back each week as well as all the new ones.
We were out at a party at the weekend and actually managed to use some of the footwork in our jive.... VERY proud of ourselves!!! :clap: :clap:
It was great to be able to mix it in when the music was too fast to modern jive to!

Lindsay
4th-November-2004, 09:14 PM
We were out at a party at the weekend and actually managed to use some of the footwork in our jive.... VERY proud of ourselves!!!Fantastic! :D
Good laff last nite, but such cruel heckling though... even from Brady :tears:
:devil: I will get revenge....
Great turnout despite the Ceroc course being on, & some more new faces. See ya next wk :kiss:

Scotch Bonnet
6th-November-2004, 10:17 PM
One of the new faces here ,thoroughly enjoyed Jitterbug on Wednesday,I would recommend it !!Very refreshing......... It was great fun,a lot of good banter going on and some great dancing..........Brady and Lindsay,loved the routine that got you the applause ,did you do that in Brighton ?
See you next week
xx

Twinkle Toes
10th-November-2004, 01:40 AM
One of the new faces here ,thoroughly enjoyed Jitterbug on Wednesday,I would recommend it !!Very refreshing

Looks like we are all enjoying the classes, as you say, very refreshing.
Just back from Gran Canaries ceroc holiday, but intend to take my weary feet along to the class on Wednesday.

TT x

Dance Demon
10th-November-2004, 06:45 AM
Nice to have you back TT. You really are picking up this boogie woogie thing. Just shows what happens when you go every week eh? :wink:

Twinkle Toes
10th-November-2004, 01:22 PM
Nice to have you back TT. You really are picking up this boogie woogie thing. Just shows what happens when you go every week eh? :wink:

Thanks John, nice to be back :what:
.. and you are not a bad mover yourself ! :wink: :wink:

Look forward to seeing you.

TT x

Brady
10th-November-2004, 02:25 PM
[QUOTE=Brixwold]It was great fun,a lot of good banter going on and some great dancing..........QUOTE]

Brixwold is correct; last week was great and this week should be even better with new faces expected in response to the newspaper article last week.

Another great night planned for tonight! We have planned a nice smooth beginners class to get the newcomers going and warm-up all you experienced boogiers. Then we have a fresh new improvers class with a couple new moves tied together with a couple of the moves people have said they enjoyed in past weeks. Banter this week is again free of charge...it was kindly dontated by Lindsay herself last week! :rofl:

Look forward to seeing all the regulars as well as some new faces from the forum and elsewhere. :nice:

Brady

Lindsay
11th-November-2004, 12:40 AM
Not only do they get free banter, but also a 70s dance demo!
Now that's VFM!
Nice to see Janet through from Glasgow...
LH- you were quiet 2nite! Cat got your tongue?

Lindsay
17th-November-2004, 01:05 AM
This Wednesday we'll be spending a bit more time on the foundations/basics in this week's 8.30pm class (as requested). Bear in mind it usually takes 4-6 lessons to master the basic footwork/triple steps. Then there will be more challenging material for the 2nd class at 9.30pm. Lots of practice time and some great music to keep you entertained. Bring your friends along for a boogie, new dancers welcome each week!

Hope to see ya there (8.30pm, Kirk O'Field Hall, 140 Pleasance, Edin.)
:cheers:

Dance Demon
17th-November-2004, 01:07 AM
I'll be there.........as usual :D

Twinkle Toes
23rd-November-2004, 10:19 PM
I'll be there.........as usual :D

Tell me John,
do you ever have a night in ?
TT xx :hug:

Dance Demon
24th-November-2004, 01:15 AM
Tell me John,
do you ever have a night in ?
TT xx :hug:

A night in?...what's that:wink:

Lindsay
1st-December-2004, 12:45 AM
Will TT be there on Wed.? What an honour :worthy: :rofl:

Last class before Xmas will be 22nd Dec, start back 12th Jan.

Tweetie
12th-December-2004, 08:29 PM
They said last one before Christmas was this Wed (not 22nd)!
Is that right?

Dreadful Scathe
12th-December-2004, 09:17 PM
Yup, and it has a 'christmas pie' theme!!

Tiggerbabe
12th-December-2004, 09:19 PM
You two not talking to each other?

Brady
13th-December-2004, 09:19 PM
You two not talking to each other?

I think Tweetie may have had her feathers ruffled when she heard what DS will be wearing in a special 'one-time-only' cabaret performance at the Hogmanay Ball!!!! :what: :really: (you'll have to come see for yourself!)

Tweetie, you are correct, this Wed, 15th Dec. is the last Jitterbug Club night till after the new year. The night will be a bit festive with free wine and festive snacks. There will also be a fun class to give everybody a chance to show what they've learned over the past couple months. Hope to see all the normal crowd as well as some new faces.

Beginners class will start at 20:30 with 2nd class shortly following, and dancing until 22:30.

Dreadful Scathe
14th-December-2004, 03:29 PM
I think Tweetie may have had her feathers ruffled when she heard what DS will be wearing in a special 'one-time-only' cabaret performance at the Hogmanay Ball!!!! :what: :really: (you'll have to come see for yourself!)

When am I going to be informed ? :what:

Brady
15th-December-2004, 09:13 AM
When am I going to be informed ? :what:
Come along tonight, have a good time at the class and I might tell you!!! :really:

Dreadful Scathe
16th-February-2005, 04:58 PM
Nice to see the old venue again - the new one was only good if you were getting the train :)

Lindsay
17th-February-2005, 05:03 PM
Yip, it's a lovely hall...

Numbers are great now, & people enjoying the classes which is really encouraging. Doing a blend of 6-beat stuff - jitterbug, boogie woogie and some WCS.

If you haven't tried it- why on earth not??
:grin: