PDA

View Full Version : Gagging for a Dance

Bangers & Mash
28th-September-2004, 12:29 AM
I frequently hear the girls complaining about guys who have poor personal hygiene and until recently I have been lucky but recently was asked to dance by a girl with the same problem.

I accepted the first dance, but literally felt sick throughout the whole dance it was that bad and so when she kept coming back I feigned an injury.

I always travel with change of clothes, deodorant, breath freshener and even toothbrush and toothpaste if I am coming straight from work. I know lots of other people do similar - but how do we deal with the people who don't offer the same courtesy to their partners?

Has anybody else had similar problems and more to the point has anybody come up with a simple solution.

I thought of wearing a tee-shirt that said "If I smell please don't ask me to dance - and if you smell, please don't either"

drathzel
28th-September-2004, 08:57 AM
I frequently hear the girls complaining about guys who have poor personal hygiene and until recently I have been lucky but recently was asked to dance by a girl with the same problem.

I accepted the first dance, but literally felt sick throughout the whole dance it was that bad and so when she kept coming back I feigned an injury.

I always travel with change of clothes, deodorant, breath freshener and even toothbrush and toothpaste if I am coming straight from work. I know lots of other people do similar - but how do we deal with the people who don't offer the same courtesy to their partners?

Has anybody else had similar problems and more to the point has anybody come up with a simple solution.

I thought of wearing a tee-shirt that said "If I smell please don't ask me to dance - and if you smell, please don't either"

Thats probably a good idea! I always bring the above mentioned items as i am really worried abut smelling. If i do people, please tell me! :hug:

DianaS
28th-September-2004, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=Bangers & Mash]I frequently hear the girls complaining about guys who have poor personal hygiene and until recently I have been lucky but recently was asked to dance by a girl with the same problem.
QUOTE]
God how awful, poor you. I give you permission never to dace with her again :hug: I've danced with a guy once that I just didn't like his smell and I do avoid him now. I couldn't stand to dance with him again. it really made me feel ill and unconfortable.

Other guys also smell quite individually, and I really love their smell! Absolutely intoxicating. It's such a personal thing don't you think?

Trousers
28th-September-2004, 10:49 AM
Other guys also smell quite individually, and I really love their smell! Absolutely intoxicating. It's such a personal thing don't you think?

Same for the girlies but sniffing them before you dance with them normally marks you as a weirdo.

Errrrm am i a weirdo?

DianaS
28th-September-2004, 12:19 PM
Same for the girlies but sniffing them before you dance with them normally marks you as a weirdo.

Errrrm am i a weirdo?
Definately!
Do you like the smell of the rain, and lillies and cofffee. DO you smell chocolate before you eat it
and ... and..
being weird is kinnda nice don't ya think! :cheers:

Lory
28th-September-2004, 01:48 PM

:yeah: You've said what I probably wouldn't have dared say but it's true, ;) sometimes I like the smell of the guy I'm dancing with so much, that I have to restrain myself from sinking my nose into their neck and taking a whopping great lung full! :innocent: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And sadly, I've also had the gagging experience too! :sick:

drathzel
28th-September-2004, 01:51 PM
Definately!
DO you smell chocolate before you eat it

erm actually yes! :sick: :blush:

baldrick
28th-September-2004, 01:59 PM
Definately!
Do you like the smell of the rain, and lillies and cofffee. DO you smell chocolate before you eat it
and ... and..
Yea the weirdos have it!:clap: Anyway I'm ok its the rest of the world thats odd :D :na:

drathzel
28th-September-2004, 02:03 PM
Yea the weirdos have it!:clap: Anyway I'm ok its the rest of the world thats odd :D :na:

Is it strange that i find you perfectly normal? :whistle:

DianaS
28th-September-2004, 02:38 PM
:yeah: You've said what I probably wouldn't have dared say but it's true, ;) sometimes I like the smell of the guy I'm dancing with so much, that I have to restrain myself from sinking my nose into their neck and taking a whopping great lung full! :innocent: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And sadly, I've also had the gagging experience too! :sick:
Loorrryyyy!!!
Hummm I know what you mean :waycool:
BTW cool new avatar, have you had your hair done?

Lory
28th-September-2004, 02:42 PM
BTW cool new avatar, have you had your hair done?

:yeah: and amazing plastic surgery! (the really cool thing is, it didn't cost anything and was completely painless) :rofl:

under par
28th-September-2004, 03:24 PM
:yeah: and amazing plastic surgery! (the really cool thing is, it didn't cost anything and was completely painless) :rofl:

Lory,You are gonna have do that new move when we next dance :drool: :yeah: :whistle:

drathzel
28th-September-2004, 06:24 PM

You are so much prettier and a better dancer than your avatar!

bigdjiver
28th-September-2004, 07:33 PM
I saw a TV programme that alleged that how men and women smell to each other depends partly on the make up of their antibody defences. The premise was that we are deterred by identical biological defences, and attracted by different ones, which gives our progeny the benefit of two different defence systems. (No, it was not the one with pointy ears saying it)

Bangers & Mash
28th-September-2004, 11:31 PM
Well, I've just come back from Stirling and I can safely say that nobody there pongs. :nice:

Although - the girls that had to dance with me might say different :whistle:

Perhaps we should have a poll to see which venue has the pongiest people.

:rofl:

Trousers
28th-September-2004, 11:53 PM
: sometimes I like the smell of the guy I'm dancing with so much, that I have to restrain myself from sinking my nose into their neck and taking a whopping great lung full!

Lory i have the same inclination with the ladies. I find the Basket a great move for lung filling but tonight I got rumbled.

Eeeek

Luckily by someone I know.

What's worse than being rumbled though I think is when you let yourself get intoxicated by the dance, the music, your partner and how good she moves and smells then catch yourself moving in to snog her neck.

Or is it only me that that happens to??

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 08:38 AM
Lory i have the same inclination with the ladies. I find the Basket a great move for lung filling but tonight I got rumbled.

Eeeek

Luckily by someone I know.

What's worse than being rumbled though I think is when you let yourself get intoxicated by the dance, the music, your partner and how good she moves and smells then catch yourself moving in to snog her neck.

Speaking from a womans point of view, that would scare the bejesus out of me! I dont mind someone sniffing me as long as they o it discreetly and it is only a quick sniff as opposed to a long one! :o

Trousers
29th-September-2004, 09:31 AM
Speaking from a womans point of view, ...... I dont mind..... a quick.......one! :o

Me neither

baldrick
29th-September-2004, 09:43 AM
Me neither
Given your claim on the gender thread, why are you speaking as a woman? :confused:

Lory
29th-September-2004, 09:52 AM
Me neitherNice bit of editing there! :rofl: Are u sure you don't work for a tabloid? :wink:

DianaS
29th-September-2004, 09:54 AM
Lory I think is when you let yourself get intoxicated by the dance, the music, and your partner moving in to snog your neck.

Lucky you!:innocent:

Little Monkey
29th-September-2004, 10:35 AM
Just to gently steer the conversation back to the original thread again....

I've danced with a fair few pongy men, and yes, I've learned to avoid them... Although they probably see through my excuses (oh, no, I hate this track, sorry! (bopping on the spot as I say it...), or: Oh, no, I'm too tired, need a break, sorry! Then a minute later I go crazy on the dance floor to "baby likes to rock it"!). :blush: The worst thing about the pongy ones is that they always want to do slow, close moves - even to fast music! :(

Then, of course, there's the men (and girls???) with t-shirts that are DRIPPING with sweat! I have actually said to one of these guys "Yep, I'd love to dance, but I'll give you time to change your t-shirt first!" Is this terribly rude?? :confused:

I do know someone who's rather on the smelly side, and always try to drop rather BIG hints before we go dancing (sorry, will be ten minutes late, haven't had time to shower yet! oh, did I bring enough changes of shirts? did I pack my deodorant? hang on, just need to brush my teeth! etc...), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help...

Monkey

Trousers
29th-September-2004, 11:12 AM

Then, of course, there's the men (and girls???) with t-shirts that are DRIPPING with sweat! I have actually said to one of these guys "Yep, I'd love to dance, but I'll give you time to change your t-shirt first!" Is this terribly rude?? :confused:
Monkey

HaHa pet hate time!
How do you ladies cope with hairy sweaty men in vest tops?

I'm a guy and I think these guys are really pushing the boundary of dance ettiquette even contemplating wearing said item of ermm underwear!

String vests on girls = GREAT :wink:
Vests on men = Yeuuurgghhhhhhhhhhhhh! :sick:

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 11:16 AM

Why should it be rude to expect some basic courtesy and hygiene from a dance partner.

Perhaps the venues could print a list of do's and don'ts that include

- DO, bring a change of shirt if you expect to get sweaty
- DO, bring deodorant if you think you may sweat
- DO, respect your partner with basic hygiene, before, during and after dancing

- DON'T feel obliged to dance with a partner who
a - does not appear to have attempted basic hygiene
b - is an aggressive dancer who may injure you
c - is uncomfortably lewd or sleazy on the dance floor

etc...

Gojive
29th-September-2004, 12:56 PM

Now herein lies a problem for me. I try to stay as dry as possible for this very reason, and bring clean shirts with me (and of course use them!). However, I will almost certainly dance three tracks back to back on a regular basis, and given the amount of movement I do with my dance style, I will invariably be soaked by the end of those three tracks - depsite using copious amounts of "anti-perspirant"!!.

So what should I do?.....If I bring enough shirts to stay dry in, for a freestyle evening of say four hours, then I'd need a suitcase full!. My alternative of course, is just to dance one track, then sit two out, etc.....hmmmm :tears:

Any ideas then anyone, on how to enjoy a whole night's dancing, without being seen as something terrible by the ladies? :flower:, and without having to gain an HGV licence to be able to transport my clothes?. :sad:

For the record, when things are the other way round, I actually love the feeling of a hot and sweaty (I prefer the term steamy :wink: ) lady on the dance floor - it kind of adds to the atmosphere of a great night for me!! (providing no one smells in the process of course!) :)

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 01:24 PM
Any ideas then anyone, on how to enjoy a whole night's dancing, without being seen as something terrible by the ladies? :flower:, and without having to gain an HGV licence to be able to transport my clothes?. :sad:

For the record, when things are the other way round, I actually love the feeling of a hot and sweaty (I prefer the term steamy :wink: ) lady on the dance floor - it kind of adds to the atmosphere of a great night for me!! (providing no one smells in the process of course!) :)

I think that guys and girls alike can tell the difference between somebody who makes an effort at hygiene and somebody who makes no effort at all.

If I know that I am sweaty - I always apologise beforehand and if I have a change with me then even offer to change. More often than not I get the response, "I'm not too worried - just dance" - obviously you have to be careful of dips and drips :wink:

As for steamy ladies. I concur. I don't find sweat on a girl off-putting, but I do find body odour off-putting. :)

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 01:32 PM
Me neither

I have a feeling my quote was slightly doctored! :sick:

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 01:33 PM
Given your claim on the gender thread, why are you speaking as a woman? :confused:

I dont care as long as it has a long one!

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 01:35 PM

I've danced with a fair few pongy men, and yes, I've learned to avoid them... Although they probably see through my excuses (oh, no, I hate this track, sorry! (bopping on the spot as I say it...), or: Oh, no, I'm too tired, need a break, sorry! Then a minute later I go crazy on the dance floor to "baby likes to rock it"!). :blush: The worst thing about the pongy ones is that they always want to do slow, close moves - even to fast music! :(

I do know someone who's rather on the smelly side, and always try to drop rather BIG hints before we go dancing (sorry, will be ten minutes late, haven't had time to shower yet! oh, did I bring enough changes of shirts? did I pack my deodorant? hang on, just need to brush my teeth! etc...), but unfortunately it doesn't seem to help...

Monkey

He's a man.. of course he's not going to take then hint!

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 01:46 PM

Surely this is the fundamental and well recognised difference between men and women.

A woman will have a wash, put on make-up and do her hair just to take the rubbish out - whilst a man might go to the effort to wrap a towel around his waist.

:blush:

Surely we need to identify a pleasant way to put the message across that the other person smells.

How about

1 - No thanks you smell
2 - Why not try dancing with <insert name> s/he has a cold and can't smell
3 - I would love to. Why don't you go and freshen up and grab me for the next dance
4 - Would you like to borrow my deodorant first
5 - okay, but no close moves until you've had a wash
6 - No thanks, my nose is hurting

:whistle:

What is the consensus on vests? I often bring a shirt and a sports vest to change into. But I do make regular use of towel and deodorant.

Please girls, if I ask you to dance and you hate the vest - let me know. Nobody has said anything to me so far and I know from past experience that some of my dance partners speak their mind - so I'm assuming that I'm okay so far :what:

baldrick
29th-September-2004, 01:50 PM
I dont care as long as it has a long one!
Thread?
sniff?
trouser?
dance?
:confused:

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 01:51 PM
Surely this is the fundamental and well recognised difference between men and women.

A woman will have a wash, put on make-up and do her hair just to take the rubbish out - whilst a man might go to the effort to wrap a towel around his waist.

:blush:

Surely we need to identify a pleasant way to put the message across that the other person smells.

How about

1 - No thanks you smell
2 - Why not try dancing with <insert name> s/he has a cold and can't smell
3 - I would love to. Why don't you go and freshen up and grab me for the next dance
4 - Would you like to borrow my deodorant first
5 - okay, but no close moves until you've had a wash
6 - No thanks, my nose is hurting

:whistle:

What is the consensus on vests? I often bring a shirt and a sports vest to change into. But I do make regular use of towel and deodorant.

Please girls, if I ask you to dance and you hate the vest - let me know. Nobody has said anything to me so far and I know from past experience that some of my dance partners speak their mind - so I'm assuming that I'm okay so far :what:

I would be insulted if someone said any of those things to me. I think the only one that is alright would be.... We can both catch our breaths and freshen up and catch the next song! (is that ok)

Excuse me i did not put on my makeup coming to work today!

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 02:04 PM
I would be insulted if someone said any of those things to me. I think the only one that is alright would be.... We can both catch our breaths and freshen up and catch the next song! (is that ok)

Excuse me i did not put on my makeup coming to work today!

Some girls don't need makeup to enhance their beauty :wink:

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 02:13 PM
Some girls don't need makeup to enhance their beauty :wink:

and some of us do!

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 02:18 PM
and some of us do!

I know a girl whos flatmate was rushed into hospital in an ambulance at 3am and she still managed to put on make-up before we followed the ambulance :eek:

Lynn
29th-September-2004, 03:15 PM
A woman will have a wash, put on make-up and do her hair just to take the rubbish out
What's make up? (I hate the feel of make up, but always wear lipstick!)

2 - Why not try dancing with <insert name> s/he has a cold and can't smell :rofl: Don't think it would be appreciated, but funny!

ChrisA
29th-September-2004, 05:38 PM

Ok, I guess that would soften it a bit, but at the end of the day, there is no easy way to either tell someone they've got an odour problem, or be told.

Put yourself in the place of the stinker for a moment... would you rather:

a) hear straightaway, so that even though you're absolutely mortified to discover the awful truth, at least you can do something about it immediately

or

b) have people drop really subtle hints (that you might miss) or avoid dancing with you for a long period of time, and then eventually discover by accident that people have been avoiding you for ages because you're so pongy.

Personally I know that I would rather have the sting of being told immediately, than discover after a long time, that I had a reputation, maybe in several venues, for being a stinker.

I think I might be too embarrassed to go back. So, hard though it may be, it's best to tell someone (as nicely as possible). Well, on the assumption they'd want to do something about it, that is - and if they don't care, who cares what they think !!!

Chris

Minnie M
29th-September-2004, 05:45 PM
A woman will ...../snip/...... take the rubbish out .......

Hang on .... :really: ......that's men's work :rolleyes:

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 05:50 PM
Hang on .... :really: ......that's men's work :rolleyes:

Have you ever been to Yorkshire? :waycool:

Chickadee
29th-September-2004, 06:14 PM
Definately!
and ... and..

:yeah:
I LOVE the smell of freshly layed tarmac and the smell of creasote (not sure how to spell that but it's the stuff you coat wooden fences with to protect from weathering!). :yum: :rofl:

Hmmm, am I the only one?! :what:

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 06:14 PM
Personally I know that I would rather have the sting of being told immediately, than discover after a long time, that I had a reputation, maybe in several venues, for being a stinker.

I agree and personally think that a good friend is the one that would tell you.

This assumes, however, that the person who smells actually cares.

If it was me that had bad BO and a friend was pointing it out I would expect something along the lines of...

1 - John. Bit pongy tonight mate...
2 - Have you forgotten you deodorant? You can borrow mine if you want...
3 - Okay, but nothing that involves raising your arms. Ok?

At the end of the day, I make every effort not to pong so I would welcome someone telling me if I slipped my standards. I would also be more apologetic than offended and would try and remedy the problem straight away before grabbing the person for a dance and asking

"better?"

Ok, I guess that would soften it a bit, but at the end of the day, there is no easy way to either tell someone they've got an odour problem, or be told.

I suppose at the end of the day - the reason I posed the thread in the first place was two-fold

1 - how to say it without hurting someone (not being the most tactful of people)
2 - how I would be judged myself for saying it in the first place.

From what I have read so far, I have a better idea of (1) and am reassured that (2) would not necessarily happen.

As for how to say it (from above) if it was someone I knew I would say something like - "go and freshen up and I'll grab you for the next one"

For people I don't know it is a bit more difficult but I think I would have to say something from now on - but along the lines of "look, I don't want to be rude but you might want to freshen up first."

How does that sound?

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 07:31 PM
I LOVE the smell of freshly layed tarmac and the smell of creasote (not sure how to spell that but it's the stuff you coat wooden fences with to protect from weathering!). :yum: :rofl:

Hmmm, am I the only one?! :what:

I love the smell of petrol!

Bangers & Mash
29th-September-2004, 07:44 PM

I think I've danced with her :wink:

drathzel
29th-September-2004, 07:45 PM
I think I've danced with her :wink:

You have but i wasn't high on petrol at the time! :blush:

Little Monkey
29th-September-2004, 11:05 PM

No, actually, this particular pongy sinner is female! :eek:
I've even offered to lend her some spare t-shirts etc......

:sick:

Monkey

Little Monkey
29th-September-2004, 11:14 PM
Now herein lies a problem for me. I try to stay as dry as possible for this very reason, and bring clean shirts with me (and of course use them!). However, I will almost certainly dance three tracks back to back on a regular basis, and given the amount of movement I do with my dance style, I will invariably be soaked by the end of those three tracks - depsite using copious amounts of "anti-perspirant"!!.

Hey, you're human! Everyone will sweat to some degree. After a few really fast tracks I'll be dripping, despite being female - and we all know girls don't sweat, they GLOW! Hmmm, well this girl does sweat, I'm afraid... If I didn't , I wouldn't have to worry about bringing change of t-shirts and deodorant, would I !? :wink:

No, the important thing is to show some consideration for your fellow dancers and change before you get too yucky, use deodorant etc. Just normal hygiene, really. Don't think you're one of the sinners, Gojive! :hug:

Monkey

Gojive
29th-September-2004, 11:48 PM
I think that guys and girls alike can tell the difference between somebody who makes an effort at hygiene and somebody who makes no effort at all.

I agree with that, it's just that I've seen/heard reference to 'wet' rather than 'wet and smelly' all too often in MJ, and I've often wondered if there is a firm distinction in the eyes of the ladies. However....

If I know that I am sweaty - I always apologise beforehand and if I have a change with me then even offer to change. More often than not I get the response, "I'm not too worried - just dance" - obviously you have to be careful of dips and drips :wink:

Excellent point B&M. I do/say this all the time (I've had a few strange looks when I say to a lady "would you like a wet one?" :wink: ), and on the whole, they appear to not mind - indeed many are too wet themselves to comment! (Ooo, just realised how that sounds! :blush: ).

Gojive
29th-September-2004, 11:49 PM
No, the important thing is to show some consideration for your fellow dancers and change before you get too yucky, use deodorant etc. Just normal hygiene, really. Don't think you're one of the sinners, Gojive! :hug:

Monkey

Thanks LM, I feel a little drier now :wink: :kiss:

Gojive
29th-September-2004, 11:52 PM

I think I've danced with her

Was she a 4 star dancer?......did she do her own thing? - ie, she was unleaded? :D

ianmate
30th-September-2004, 01:03 AM
I know someone who often absolutely reeks of soap! The acidic, carbolic aroma actually made my eyes water once - Any suggestions on how to approach this one. :sick:

The thing is: she's an awesome dancer and one of my absolute faves - so usually I just grin and love it :rofl:

drathzel
30th-September-2004, 08:38 AM
No, actually, this particular pongy sinner is female! :eek:
I've even offered to lend her some spare t-shirts etc......

:sick:

Monkey

Oh ok.... ummm i'd have just had to tell her!!!

drathzel
30th-September-2004, 08:41 AM
Was she a 4 star dancer?......did she do her own thing? - ie, she was unleaded? :D

More like diesel. Thick slow, but it gets you there in the end! :rolleyes:

MartinHarper
30th-September-2004, 09:50 AM
If I didn't [sweat], I wouldn't have to worry about bringing change of t-shirts and deodorant, would I !?

To play devil's advocate... In a nightclub, as a student, it was well recognised that doing energetic dancing will make you sweaty. Indeed, if you listen to dance music, it will inform you that sweat is sexy. Certainly nobody thought about taking a change of T-shirts, and we got a lot sweatier than I ever have doing MJ.
Why are so many MJ folks so squeamish?

Bangers & Mash
30th-September-2004, 10:10 AM
More like diesel. Thick slow, but it gets you there in the end! :rolleyes:

and cheaper? :whistle:

Bangers & Mash
30th-September-2004, 10:11 AM
To play devil's advocate... In a nightclub, as a student, it was well recognised that doing energetic dancing will make you sweaty. Indeed, if you listen to dance music, it will inform you that sweat is sexy. Certainly nobody thought about taking a change of T-shirts, and we got a lot sweatier than I ever have doing MJ.

Not complaining about the sweat MH. Complaining about the smell.

Sweat is OK
Smell is not.

Gadget
30th-September-2004, 10:28 AM
Because it's not fresh-sweat that smells; it's stale sweat. And a soggy T-shirt/shirt is not bery nice for a lady to slide hands accross/down/up/any way she want to :drool:

MartinHarper
30th-September-2004, 10:40 AM
How long does it take for sweat to go stale?

Chickadee
30th-September-2004, 10:43 AM

I don't know but are you offering to be our Forum guinnea pig?! :rofl:

Bangers & Mash
30th-September-2004, 10:47 AM

Slightly less time than it takes for people to start avoiding dancing with you and complaining to each other about it.

It's not a matter of MJ people being more squeamish - I prefer to think that MJ people are more considerate and self-and-partner repecting.

Minnie M
30th-September-2004, 10:55 AM
Because it's not fresh-sweat that smells; it's stale sweat. And a soggy T-shirt/shirt is not bery nice for a lady to slide hands accross/down/up/any way she want to :drool:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

Lory
30th-September-2004, 11:48 AM
Some Nerdy facts for you! :D :waycool:

You'll start to smell bad much slower if you've started out with 'very clean bacteria free skin' before you start to sweat and here's why!........

Sweat produced in apocrine sweat glands contains proteins and fatty acids, which make it thicker and give it a milkier or yellowish color. This is why underarm stains in clothing appear yellowish. Sweat itself has no odour, but when bacteria on the skin and hair metabolize the proteins and fatty acids, they produce an unpleasant odour. This is why deodorants and anti-perspirants are applied to the underarms instead of the whole body.

The maximum volume of sweat that a person who is not adapted to a hot climate can produce is about one liter per hour. Amazingly, if you move to a hot climate such as the American desert southwest or the tropics, your ability to produce sweat will increase to about two to three liters per hour within about six weeks! This appears to be the maximum amount that you can produce.

When sweat evaporates from the surface of your skin, it removes excess heat and cools you. Typically, all of the sweat does not evaporate, but rather runs off your skin. In addition, not all heat energy produced by the body is lost through sweat. Some is directly radiated from the skin to the air and some is lost through respiratory surfaces of the lungs.

A major factor that influences the rate of evaporation is the relative humidity of the air around you. If the air is humid, then it already has water vapor in it, probably near saturation, and cannot take any more. Therefore, sweat does not evaporate and cool your body as efficiently as when the air is dry.

Finally, when the water in the sweat evaporates, it leaves the salts (sodium, chloride and potassium) behind on your skin, which is why your skin tastes salty. The loss of excessive amounts of salt and water from your body can quickly dehydrate you, which can lead to circulatory problems, kidney failure and heat stroke. So, it is important to drink plenty of fluids when you exercise or are outside in high temperatures. Sports drinks contain some salts to replace those lost in the sweat.

Washing with an antibacterial soap and use a deodorant containing aluminum chloride will help!

Gojive
30th-September-2004, 11:59 AM
Blimey Lory, I never knew most of that - thanks! :)

Now to try and work out the rep system..... :flower:

ChrisA
30th-September-2004, 12:06 PM
Slightly less time than it takes for people to start avoiding dancing with you and complaining to each other about it.

.... :yeah:

Well put!!!

Chris

Lory
30th-September-2004, 12:21 PM
Blimey Lory, I never knew most of that - thanks! :)

Now to try and work out the rep system..... :flower:

Thanks Gojive

but I actually forgot to mention probably the most important thing and I think It maybe 'the' fatal mistake that some of the worst 'pongers' make!

Scenario

Man showers, deodorises, put on a clean fresh shirt...dances all night....NO SMELL :)

Next night, same man showers, deodorises and thinks to himself, hmmm I liked that shirt I wore last night, some girls even complimented me on it, so he has a quick sniff and HEY presto, it smells fine! :)

BUT heres where it all turns nasty! :tears: last night whilst his shirt was hanging up and drying, millions of bacteria grew but as the shirt is now dry, no vapour is present but it's like a time bomb waiting to go off.....

Once a little drop of sweat re-hydrates the bacteria HE STINKS! :sick: :sick:

Simple as that! :waycool: :D

Bangers & Mash
30th-September-2004, 12:24 PM
BUT heres where it all turns nasty! :tears: last night whilst his shirt was hanging up and drying, millions of bacteria grew but as the shirt is now dry, no vapour is present but it's like a time bomb waiting to go off.....

Once a little drop of sweat re-hydrates the bacteria HE STINKS! :sick: :sick:

Simple as that! :waycool: :D

Damn! There goes the wall test :blush:

Hear that noise in the background? It's the washing machine. Just started.

Thanks for those posts, Lory. Really useful information :cheers:

ChrisA
30th-September-2004, 12:33 PM
last night whilst his shirt was hanging up and drying

:tears: :sick: :what:

Gross, or what???????

Do people actually do this???? I spose they must do, but I still think it's amazing...

Chris

jivecat
30th-September-2004, 08:25 PM

It's only sweat. As Lory says, if you start off with clean clothes on a clean body I can't see why there should be a problem. And even if (shock, horror) somebody was wicked enough to wear the same garment 2 days running I doubt if they'd actually be at the stage of spreading plague spores with every waft. I thought that we'd moved on from the old belief that bad smells killed you.

Yes, it's a social expectation in our prissy age that everyone should smell chemical instead of human.But I can't get very excited about the fact that maybe one or two in every 100 dancers does not conform to this particular social norm.

Now, who would I prefer to dance with?
a. Mr Expensive Cologne who flicks my arm viciously with every move and has no sense of rhythm. OR
b. Mr Take Me As You Bl**dy Find Me who leads like a dream and makes me feel like a dance goddess.

Difficult, hmm? Well - no!

philsmove
30th-September-2004, 09:36 PM
Yes, it's a social expectation in our prissy age that everyone should smell chemical instead of human.
I don’t know if any of you are reading or have read, the book clubs August choice: "Birds Without Wings" but if you are/ have, go to chapter 63

jivecat
30th-September-2004, 09:52 PM
I don’t know if any of you are reading or have read, the book clubs August choice: "Birds Without Wings" but if you are/ have, go to chapter 63

Will do! Sounds most intriguing.
You might also try Perfume by Patrick Suskind -you'll never smell the same again.

johnthehappyguy
5th-June-2006, 11:14 PM
I frequently hear the girls complaining about guys who have poor personal hygiene and until recently I have been lucky but recently was asked to dance by a girl with the same problem.....

Unfortunately the girl who prompted Bangers to start this thread still has the same habits,:sad:

Anyone got any new ideas, or should one just bite the bullet and tell her ?

WittyBird
6th-June-2006, 05:59 PM
Unfortunately the girl who prompted Bangers to start this thread still has the same habits,:sad:

To quote the Nike slogan

Just do it
Not that I would ever be blunt :what:

CJ
6th-June-2006, 06:05 PM

Go for it, John.:flower:

(or if i'm ever there, point her out. If I know her, even remotely, I'll do it.:D )

Dreadful Scathe
6th-June-2006, 07:43 PM
:tears: :sick: :what:

Gross, or what???????

Do people actually do this???? I spose they must do, but I still think it's amazing...

hey - if a sock still bends - its wearable :)

Baruch
8th-June-2006, 08:11 AM
hey - if a sock still bends - its wearable :)And if it doesn't bend, hit it with a hammer until it does. :wink: