PDA

View Full Version : Jiving to a Waltz?

MartinHarper
27th-September-2004, 09:26 PM
I saw this elsewhere...

Try MJing to a waltz, 6/8 or 7/8? I doesn't work, 'cos it don't fit the structure!

I wondered - has anyone here done a Wurlitzer to a Waltz, or a Teapot to Take Five? What was it like - and how long before you gave up in disgrace?

Lou
28th-September-2004, 11:56 AM
I wondered - has anyone here done a Wurlitzer to a Waltz, or a Teapot to Take Five? What was it like - and how long before you gave up in disgrace?
Good question, Martin. Let me take you back in time to the Golden (Brown) Age of the forum... way back in 2002....

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328&page=3

Why don't we ever have discussions on the Stranglers any more....
(p.s. I'm joking ;) )

RogerR
30th-September-2004, 07:39 PM
Jiving to a fast (viennese ) waltz is possible tho challenging, I have seen people trying to dance to Take Five - Dave Brubecks version, that was BAD.

Nick M
2nd-October-2004, 09:10 AM
I saw this elsewhere...

It should (I suppose) be possible to use Salsa footwork without the pauses on beats 4 and 8

Graham
2nd-October-2004, 01:30 PM
Well you could, but wouldn't it be easier just to waltz?

Lindsay
2nd-October-2004, 10:40 PM
& wot if you can't waltz? :confused:

there are a few ceroccers who can waltz very well.. denise, neil, rob from dundee... to name a few.... I love watching ballroom, might get round to it one day.

Jon Brett
3rd-October-2004, 01:27 AM
Do you remember "Fairground" - Simply Red. That goes 3/4 for some of it & it got played constantly at MJ when it came out. Hated it for that reason.

Graham
3rd-October-2004, 01:47 AM
& wot if you can't waltz? :confused:
I just think if you're competent enough to dance Salsa steps missing the check beat you can probably waltz!

under par
4th-October-2004, 01:00 AM
I just think if you're competent enough to dance Salsa steps missing the check beat you can probably waltz!

a statistician would say that wouldn't he? :wink:

80% of the time anyway :blush: :whistle:

Chicklet
4th-October-2004, 09:49 AM
suppose it could be done by counting 4 x 3/3 bars as 3 x 4/4 bars

still 3 moves over 12 beats but by Strauss it'll feel weird!

Someone try it and report please!

Lou
4th-October-2004, 09:58 AM
suppose it could be done by counting 4 x 3/3 bars as 3 x 4/4 bars

still 3 moves over 12 beats but by Strauss it'll feel weird!

Someone try it and report please!
When I asked about it before, the lovely Jayne also suggested this:

You find a track where the first beat of the bar is strong and you dance on that beat, so instead of dancing alternate beats (as in normal ceroc) you dance every third beat - the music is usually fast enough to get a slow ceroc out of it.

Now to see if I can find someone/somewhere to experiment with...

Graham
4th-October-2004, 10:07 AM
Thanks Lou - I was about to point out the same thing. It's worth remembering that Viennese Waltz is actually quite fast, so the timing Chicklet proposed would be too fast for MJ. Also, as Jayne pointed out, the 3 beats are not even, so even with a slower waltz I think it would be quite challenging to adopt this timing pattern.