PDA

View Full Version : Teachers/Dj money/value

tiger
25th-September-2004, 01:53 PM
Who is worth more;A good teacher or a good DJ?

+ how much are they worth?

I've heard various figures quoted for both jobs and would be interested to know who thinks what?

Gus
25th-September-2004, 02:51 PM

I've heard various figures quoted for both jobs and would be interested to know who thinks what?They seem to get paid the same so therefore the MUST be worth the same :wink: Can we have a prize for the first posting thats earns a flaming :devil:

Personal thought ... I've seen many clubs survive with mediocre teachers ... but few survive with poor DJs

under par
25th-September-2004, 03:00 PM
I think Gus has it about right a cr*p DJ would not get many punters through the door..................... and destroy any ambience built up by good teaching.

having seen a couple of cr*p teachers, you can laugh it of if the music played later inspires :rofl:

The music is so important. :yeah:

Yliander
25th-September-2004, 03:49 PM
personally I would take a great teacher with average music to a average teacher with great music - I pay my money to learn and if teacher is crap it is not likely no matter how good the music that there are going to be many/if any dancers to have a really fun/interesting/good dance with.

philsmove
25th-September-2004, 05:55 PM

To quote Barclaycard

Pricless

Minnie M
25th-September-2004, 06:08 PM
To quote Barclaycard

Pricless

:whistle: looks/sounds different without the e :rolleyes:

ToeTrampler
25th-September-2004, 07:12 PM
I would expect peoples opinions to be somewhat related to their dancing ability and experience on this one. As a beginner my vote would currently be that a good teacher is worth more; the best DJ in the World would not have made me continue past the first class :eek: had the teaching been poor.

As I progress through the weeks my dependence on the teaching is now lessening (i.e. I can now look at my partner occasionally instead of a permanent 90 degrees towards the stage) but it is still more important than the music. In the freestyle section of the evening I do not yet have the ability to combine: remembering the moves; thinking of the next move; paying attention to my partner; listening to the music; engaging in conversation; and looking like I am enjoying it all at the same time. Inevitably a *few* things drop of the list occasionally (sometimes all :tears: ) and all to often music is one of those victims.

In far and distant future when my experience, skill (and multi-tasking abilities) have improved I can see my opinion reversing. The percentage of time where I will learn (or least remember) anything new will decrease and the percentage of time I enjoy myself etc in freestyle will increase :clap: . At this stage I would see the DJ having the biggest impact on me enjoying the atmosphere of the evening and venue – hence the DJ becomes more ’worth it’.

Luckily I don’t have to worry either way in Aberdeen because we have both excellent :worthy: Teachers :worthy: and :worthy: DJs. :worthy: *Crawl* *Crawl*

Dreadful Scathe
26th-September-2004, 02:24 AM
and its not even an insult if the DJ is female...so I assume Phil is a feminist ! :)

philsmove
26th-September-2004, 10:20 AM

For the umpteenth time, posts from me, with out spelling or granmer mistakes are forgeries

Lounge Lizard
26th-September-2004, 10:41 AM
How much do we get paid about the same - on average between £50 to £100 each per night for the Teacher [two classes] or DJ (depends if DJ brings his own equipment or uses the organisers - no inuendo's please)

in comparrisom with private bookings the MJ payment is pretty low, a private Friday night booking is about £150, saturday up to £250.

On private bookings we don't get the benefit of the packed dance floor and music is often predictable, with little chance to bring in new unheard tracks.

What attracts the crowd teacher or DJ, sometimes it is neither - it is the venue, it's reputation and the dancers. Also what else is on offer - if local venues are all playing the same music, teaching simmilar moves and a new organiser with new ideas/music/teachers etc starts up then the popularity may shift.
LL

jivecat
26th-September-2004, 12:55 PM
For me now, it would be the DJ/music every time unless the teaching was something really special, offering something extra to the movesmovesmoves formula of Ceroc. Having said that, I can only think of 2 occasions on the dance circuit where I thought the teaching, as opposed to the content, was less than adequate. That CTA sure turns out a consistent product. And having seen it done badly, I don't underestimate the skill involved in doing it well.

Is it worth getting grumpy about the fact that a MJ teacher pulls in almost as much for 2 classes as I do for a 5 hour infant teaching day + 5 hours P&P? Noooo, don't even go there! Remember the holidays! And the pension scheme. And the job security.

Gus
26th-September-2004, 01:22 PM
Is it worth getting grumpy about the fact that a MJ teacher pulls in almost as much for 2 classes as I do for a 5 hour infant teaching day + 5 hours P&P? Noooo, don't even go there! Remember the holidays! And the pension scheme. And the job security.Hey?? You get paid £50 a day? Not sure about what LL pulls in but as CTA I used to get £40-45. As a 'senior' instructor with Blitz (not sure if the senior bit is a reflection of my creeping senility :sick: ) I get a bit more. Not come across anyone getting paid £100 ... if I do I'll be more than happy to offer my esteemed services :innocent:

Lounge Lizard
26th-September-2004, 03:29 PM
Some a list teachers get more than £50 and i know that outside MJ in Rock n Roll rate for DJ and equipment is nearer £100 per night than £50

Some gigs require a 3 hour round trip (120 miles @ 20 MPG in a loaded van)
so rate is not that high when cost of fuel time, travel CD's and equipment are taken into consideration
LL

jivecat
26th-September-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey?? You get paid £50 a day?

I've never really worked it out but if I do a day on supply rates (slightly higher) I receive about £80 after tax and other deductions.
But don't have a go at me, I was just comparing it with what LL said the rates were. Especially in the light of his comments about transport etc. it seems obvious that being a "MJ worker" is not the golden road to riches either!

bigdjiver
26th-September-2004, 05:18 PM
I believe some DJ's get a night fee + mileage.

djtrev
26th-September-2004, 08:55 PM
Quote:Especially in the light of his comments about transport etc. it seems obvious that being a "MJ worker" is not the golden road to riches either!

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that.I know at least one MJ dj who gave up his day job!! I most definately would if I was in his position.Lucky b***er