PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH............!!!! Help with a mobile thingy....

Gordon J Pownall
23rd-September-2004, 09:49 AM
OK, it would, you think, be a fairly simple thing to go out and get a new mobile phone.

Currently I spend £30-00 month on a contract with O2 and want a phone that gives me at least 250 minutes/month to any network. :sad:

Camera - why...? Not really but would be nice....

Polyphonic - would be nice

Must be Triband......as I travel to Europe / States far too often....

Flip phone for convenience would be nice as well

Has any of my colleague forumites recently got or can recommend a mobile phone / provider.

I am totally narked :angry: with looking at newspaper ads :drool: , reading through the thirty odd pages of the Carphone Whorehouse :mad: catalogue and getting advice from 16 yr old twonks who (one openly admitted) get more money if they promote this network / phone / drug dealer etc...etc....

OK rant over.... :flower:

Anyone suggest a really good deal for £30 - £35 month contract..

Answers on a postcard please....... :worthy:

Steven
23rd-September-2004, 10:27 AM
Try looking at www.orange.co.uk

You can get 200 minutes with various extras for £30 a month. With this you can get a nokia 6230 for free. This is a fairly new nokia phone that has camera, is polyphonic and is triband. Not a flip phone but fairly small.

Am on orange myself and can't complain with service.

Cheers
Steven

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-September-2004, 11:02 AM
Orange is rubbish ;) You can find good deals on http://www.dialaphone.co.uk and http://www.mobileshop.co.uk/ so start there first.

Steven
23rd-September-2004, 11:12 AM
My first mobile contract was with dialaphone and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! Nothing but hassle. Also don't buy from phones4u as they are also crap.

Minnie M
23rd-September-2004, 11:24 AM
Great thread !

Does the service reliability etc., go with the area ??? cors me and Gordy are darn sowf

I am with Vodaphone, have no problem with the service locally, but not sure I have the right handset

(couldn't get any reception in Southport :tears: )

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-September-2004, 11:31 AM
My first mobile contract was with dialaphone and I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! Nothing but hassle. Also don't buy from phones4u as they are also crap.
just to balance that - We got 2 phones from dialaphone - was a flawless service !

I hear carphone warehouse are good !

Steven
23rd-September-2004, 11:34 AM
If I remember correctly vodaphone have the best coverage in the UK with 3 having the worst. Some areas are better for certain networks. I can't get any reception with t-mobile at my house but o2, orange, vodaphone are all fine. Some handsets do give better reception than others. If you find a phone you like the look of I would recomend doing a search in google for a couple of reviews of it.

Cheers
Steven

Steven
23rd-September-2004, 11:38 AM
I hear carphone warehouse are good !

Have dealt with The Link, Carphone warehouse, and orange. Haven't had any problems with any of them. I would say that the staff in the orange shops were the most helpful and know what they are talking about. Probably due to the fact they only deal with the one network.

Cheers
Steven

filthycute
23rd-September-2004, 11:45 AM
So there you go Gordon........if you go to Orange, Dialaphone,carphone warehouse, The Link, O2, mobileshop or Vodaphone you should find a phone no problem ;) All you have to do now is choose a model and thats you sorted.

And you thought getting a mobile was difficult :rolleyes: *tsk* :whistle:

filthycute x x

DavidB
23rd-September-2004, 12:08 PM
If you want to find out why you don't get good coverage at home/work etc, try the Sitefinder (http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/) website. It has the location of every single mobile phone mast in the UK (from all the different companies)

For example, I get bad reception with Orange in the Docklands because they don't have a base station in the main business area. They only have one in Limehouse - the other side of 2 huge office blocks.

Dreadful Scathe
23rd-September-2004, 12:45 PM
I think this link here (http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/uk.shtml) is a little easier to use and shows you network coverage in UK.

Robin
23rd-September-2004, 12:46 PM
OK, it would, you think, be a fairly simple thing to go out and get a new mobile phone.

Currently I spend £30-00 month on a contract with O2 and want a phone that gives me at least 250 minutes/month to any network. :sad:

I am totally narked :angry: with looking at newspaper ads :drool: , reading through the thirty odd pages of the Carphone Whorehouse :mad: catalogue and getting advice from 16 yr old twonks who (one openly admitted) get more money if they promote this network / phone / drug dealer etc...etc....

Gordy - whichever network you go for its generally better to buy direct from the network (well, certainly is on T-Mobile) as you lose some benefits when buying from Carphone Warehouse(Charles sold me my first mobile back in 1989 from a flat near Regents Park - he's moved on since then !)

Methinks if you can get T-mobile coverage that they are generally the cheapest - unless you go for the O2 max (£75 p.m) - and before anyone mentions it "3" doesn't count - not being able to receive calls in most places doesn't really constitute a service does it ?

If you want a real "gadget" phone, check out www.expansys.com and see whats coming soon!

Personally I would wait a few more months as other networks will be launching their 3G offerings soon .... hopefully with coverage and phones that you can use for longer than an hour before needing a charge!

philsmove
23rd-September-2004, 02:52 PM
Have dealt with The Link, Carphone warehouse, and orange. Haven't had any problems with any of them. I would say that the staff in the orange shops were the most helpful and know what they are talking about. Probably due to the fact they only deal with the one network.

Cheers
Steven

:yeah:

if you want an amazining phone try the P900

expensive but has just about everthing built in

Robin
23rd-September-2004, 04:13 PM
if you want an amazining phone try the P900

expensive but has just about everthing built in

:yeah: ... Gordy's been googling mine now and then .... but its the full mp3 of Safronia B as a ringtone that really gets you jealous ! :D

Why not go back to the yoghurt carton and string anyway ?

... Hankering for the good ole days...
when men were men and mobile phones were Motorola 68000's - aka "The Brick" !

philsmove
23rd-September-2004, 04:54 PM
:
Why not go back to the yoghurt carton and string anyway ?
SIZE]

because youghurt catons had not been invented, I had to make do with bake :tears: bean tins

and as you say they do not play Safronia B :drool:

Gordon J Pownall
24th-September-2004, 09:35 AM
Marvellous feedback everyone - really helpful as at least now I have been signposted in the right direction.....

Sod's law - O2 have just sent me a text saying I am entitled to a free upgrade as well..........Doh..!!!

Pass me the baked bean tins...... :whistle:

Steven
24th-September-2004, 11:20 AM
What to do is phone O2 up saying you want to cancel your contract saying you can get a better deal elsewhere. That should then prompt them into offering you a good reason to stay with them.

Have cancelled an o2 contract before and its not easy!! You end up spending half an hour on the phone to them as they try and convince you to stay!

Cheers
Steven

drathzel
28th-January-2005, 02:37 PM
ok, need some help! Trying to find a cheap Pay As You Go phone and tarriff as monthly bill is way too expensive to make calls on (text package is good though)! Which network is cheapest for calls and phones! HELP

Pauline
28th-January-2005, 03:00 PM
ok, need some help! Trying to find a cheap Pay As You Go phone and tarriff as monthly bill is way too expensive to make calls on (text package is good though)! Which network is cheapest for calls and phones! HELP

So do you already have a phone through a monthly contract? If so then you could just buy a pay and go sim card and put it in your phone, saves on the expense of a new phone. The networks all vary on price plans and special deals. i know that O2 do one where when you put on £10 you get 300 mintues off peak and 100 text( i think thats right) :nice:

drathzel
28th-January-2005, 04:06 PM
So do you already have a phone through a monthly contract? If so then you could just buy a pay and go sim card and put it in your phone, saves on the expense of a new phone. The networks all vary on price plans and special deals. i know that O2 do one where when you put on £10 you get 300 mintues off peak and 100 text( i think thats right) :nice:

Thanks Pauline :hug:

But i need a new phone as i want to keep this one going for texts!!!

Robin
28th-January-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks Pauline :hug:

But i need a new phone as i want to keep this one going for texts!!!

Maybe best to look for a duo sim holder (if they make one for your phone)

Lory
29th-January-2005, 12:09 AM
2 weeks ago I was with T mobile on a contract, the tariff was £21 a month, free to call all landlines and other T mobiles, off peak.

Great initially!

But recently we changed our home phone over to Sky and calls to ALL UK landlines are free ALL the time and I rarely call anyone on T mobile. and @40p per minute to all other networks it didn't take long to run my monthly bill up to £70!!!

I gave T mobile a call and explained I mostly called other networks, so they looked at my last 3 monthly bills and recommended I'd be better off having 200 minutes to any network + 200 free texts... Equalling £38 a month

When I said I wasn't convinced and was still thinking about leaving, I was passed over to a supervisor, who magically halved what I was quoted.....She then told me to go to a store, choose a new handset and get back to them.

The next day, I went to the local 'Link' who said they could do me an even BETTER deal (still with T mobile), with NOTHING to pay up front plus a new phone! But I'd have to give T mobile 30 days notice on my old tariff.

When I rang T mobile back to cancel, they AGAIN offered me YET another, better deal, I can now keep my old phone as a second line, with 750 off peak minutes to landlines and T mobiles, + 50 text a month for the amazing figure of 49P :na: I was going to be £21 to cancel!

So now I've got 2 phones! for less than half the price I was paying for ONE....mad or what! :D

So my advise is, threaten your going to leave and see what they offer you! :hug:

under par
29th-January-2005, 12:50 AM
Maybe best to look for a duo sim holder (if they make one for your phone)

This post made me look 2 or 3 times............................................. ...................... ............................................ I was trying to work out what "dim sun" chinese food had to do with the thread. Obviously too much red wine :cheers: :cheers: . did make me laugh!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Zebra Woman
31st-August-2005, 04:31 PM
Help!!

I am with O2 and I'm expecting the usual NO SIGNAL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as soon as I enter the gates of Pontins at Southport....

Is there any way I can easily check on the internet what the o2 coverage is likely like to be this time?

I will probably load up my walkie-talkies as back-up anyway...

Just so I can say

'Roger that'

now and then :innocent:

Northants Girly
31st-August-2005, 04:40 PM
Help!!

I am with O2 and I'm expecting the usual NO SIGNAL :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: as soon as I enter the gates of Pontins at Southport....

Is there any way I can easily check on the internet what the o2 coverage is likely like to be this time?

I will probably load up my walkie-talkies as back-up anyway...

Just so I can say

'Roger that'

now and then :innocent:Try http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/

not investigated myself yet

Zebra Woman
31st-August-2005, 04:47 PM
Try http://www.webmap.o2.co.uk/

not investigated myself yet

Thanks Linda :hug:

I entered the postcode PR8 2PZ and the cover seems to be standard... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully my mobile will work reliably this time.. :grin:

Northants Girly
31st-August-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks Linda :hug:

I entered the postcode PR8 2PZ and the cover seems to be standard... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Hopefully my mobile will work reliably this time.. :grin:Mmmm, I found the same result - but I'll believe it when we get there! Don't trust O2 :(

under par
31st-August-2005, 04:53 PM
Mmmm, I found the same result - but I'll believe it when we get there! Don't trust O2 :(

I think all the mobile phone networks operate at the gate house where the post code is relevant :flower: :flower: .........its in our chalets where no post code exists we have our problems :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Zebra Woman
31st-August-2005, 05:05 PM
Mmmm, I found the same result - but I'll believe it when we get there! Don't trust O2 :(

ccccsswwwwccccccssssshhhhh.....

Roger that

scsscccccccwwwwwccccchhhhh...

Over and out.

scccssscccwwccsssssssss........