PDA

View Full Version : Worst and best named MJ moves

MartinHarper
20th-September-2004, 05:15 PM
My votes:

Worst named: Shoulder Drop (it's not a drop) & First Move (esp. when taught second)
Best named: Octopus (very apt) & Corkscrew (we need more moves named after cocktails!)

jiveoholic
20th-September-2004, 09:03 PM
What's wrong with the "shoulder drop"? The man turns round and drops her hand on his shoulder. Ok - I suppose he "places it" there!.....

I do like the "catapult".

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 09:22 PM
My votes:

Worst named: Shoulder Drop (it's not a drop) & First Move (esp. when taught second)
Best named: Octopus (very apt) & Corkscrew (we need more moves named after cocktails!)

Whats the corkscrew?

I didn't learn the first move for ages (well properly)!

I like the name swizzle!! He he he! It reminds me of the stick you get in the double dip sherbet. I haven't had one in ages!!

Dance Demon
20th-September-2004, 09:58 PM
I think most people forget the names of some of the intermediate moves, as they start to sound like all in wrestling moves.....e.g.." the first move in this routine is called.the step over toe hold accordian archie teapot spin hook"......and on it's own it looks like this.. :eek: :eek: :confused:....I can never remember names of moves.....except the beginners ones and the basic intermediate ones........maybe coz I'm getting on a bit... :tears:

Gadget
20th-September-2004, 10:14 PM
Archie-spin. I mean, why? (not the move: the name... although...)
Penguin-walk. Why? (This time I do mean the move :D)
In-out. Now this move should have died with the charleston!
Hatch-back. What's a car got to do with this move?
Teapot. Where's the handle and spout then?

But if you want to be pedantic:
Comb. There is only one man I have seen that this move actually looks like they may be combing their hair... but then again he has practiced it a zillion times :innocent:
Man-spin. The man does not spin - we can't do that {:rolleyes:} we simply turn.
Yo-Yo. I would expect the out-in bit to be repeated more than once.

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 10:16 PM
Yo-Yo. I would expect the out-in bit to be repeated more than once.

And is a yo yo not up and down anyway!

jiveoholic
20th-September-2004, 10:19 PM
I like the "first move grind"!

spindr
20th-September-2004, 11:00 PM
Archie-spin. I mean, why? (not the move: the name... although...)

Allegedly, after James ARCHIBALD Cronin.

Teapot. Where's the handle and spout then?

In the original version the man holds the lady's right hand in his left behind his neck and holds the lady's left waist in his right hand -- the lady's left hand is free pointing at the ground.

The lady's free hand is the spout -- the held hands are the handle -- it looks like the teapot is "tipped".

Man-spin

Some of us can spin :)

Hope that helps.
SpinDr.

MartinHarper
20th-September-2004, 11:12 PM
Whats the corkscrew?

R-R hold all the way through. Interupts a return.
1. Step back prior to return
2. Girl makes half a turn anti-clockwise. Boy's left hand on her left shoulder to stop her turning any more.
3. Boy pushes left shoulder forwards. Girl makes 1.5 turns clockwise.
4. Girl steps back. Boy steps forward.
5. Return...
6. ... the girl.

Roughly like that, anyway. The name is nicer than the move, I think: at least it's not called the "right-handed return-break shoulder-push-spin". :)

Man-spin. The man does not spin - we simply turn.

Hence the JazzJive name: "man's pass". Much more logical (captain).

Oh, someone once told me that the swing name for the "in-out" was the "sugar push".... can anyone confirm or deny that?

jiveoholic
21st-September-2004, 12:10 AM
The sugar push in West Coast Swing is a rock step, triple step then a step together pressing man's right to lady's left hand for a final triple step. I would agree that it is similar to the in-out.

DavidY
21st-September-2004, 12:24 AM
Wurlitzer:
"Rudolf Wurlitzer -- United States businessman (born in Germany) who founded a company to make pipe organs (1831-1914)"
:confused: :confused:

philsmove
21st-September-2004, 12:28 AM
Whats the corkscrew?

my favorite move _ that is practiced with a bottle of Chardonnay before going to the Saturday night bop :yum:

RobC
21st-September-2004, 12:56 AM
The sugar push in West Coast Swing is a rock step, triple step then a step together pressing man's right to lady's left hand for a final triple step. I would agree that it is similar to the in-out.
Not too sure what you mean by the in-out, but you've definitely got the wrong idea about the sugar push in WCS.

For starters, there is no rock step. The move starts with the ladies walking forwards for 2 steps (guys slightly backwards with smaller steps) closing the gap between you and your partner introducing the compression in your frame. This continues for the three-and of the first tripple step, and on the four of the first tripple step, the lady steps backwards, followed by the second tripple step on the spot (referred to as the anker step).

jiveoholic
21st-September-2004, 07:52 AM
Not too sure what you mean by the in-out, but you've definitely got the wrong idea about the sugar push in WCS.

For starters, there is no rock step. The move starts with the ladies walking forwards for 2 steps (guys slightly backwards with smaller steps) closing the gap between you and your partner introducing the compression in your frame. This continues for the three-and of the first tripple step, and on the four of the first tripple step, the lady steps backwards, followed by the second tripple step on the spot (referred to as the anker step).
Whoops - and expert! Shows I was not paying attention (or bad teaching) in Albuquerque. Perhaps "rock step" is the wrong term, but as I knew modern jive first, it seemed like that. I may have got confused with East Coast Swing, that I also did. I'm sure one of them had the two triple steps at the end of the 6 beats and one the two triple steps at the start (as you suggest), however the overall feel of the move seemed like two trains pushing together without the man darting to the side as for the other moves.

Nick M
21st-September-2004, 09:30 AM
John Eastman taught a move called the Spin-dryer, which I thought was an excellent name.

It also raised the possibility of a routine of moves named after kitchen appliances (Spin Dryer, Teapot, Corkscrew, Blender, Egg-timer)

(You could easily have a beginners routine of moves named after the contents of a school blazer - Yo-Yo, Catapault, Comb, and lots of Wrappers)

Lou
21st-September-2004, 09:51 AM
It also raised the possibility of a routine of moves named after kitchen appliances (Spin Dryer, Teapot, Corkscrew, Blender, Egg-timer)

Or an Alton Towers themed one - Corkscrew, Rollercoaster, Roundabout, with lots of spins, drops, dips & twists ending in Oblivion ;) ....

RobC
21st-September-2004, 09:59 AM
I may have got confused with East Coast Swing,
I've never done any East Coast Swing, but my understanding is that it isn't too dissimilar to Ballroom Jive, and that definitely uses rock steps....

Nick M
21st-September-2004, 10:32 AM
ending in Oblivion ;) ....

I dont think I know that move Lou - you will have to show it to me

Gordon J Pownall
21st-September-2004, 10:46 AM
The most PANTS named move ever in any dance genre or discipline has to be :-

THE FLINGY FLUNG

Just what is this move about....... :confused: :rofl: :rofl:

Lou
21st-September-2004, 11:25 AM
I dont think I know that move Lou - you will have to show it to me
Nah - it's just how I feel after all the spins, dips, drops, etc.... ;)

Lou
21st-September-2004, 11:28 AM

THE FLINGY FLUNG

Good point, Gordon. although I will also bring to your attention The Ping Pong.

Bigger Andy
21st-September-2004, 12:55 PM

THE FLINGY FLUNG

:yeah:

Trish
21st-September-2004, 01:22 PM
Or an Alton Towers themed one - Corkscrew, Rollercoaster, Roundabout, with lots of spins, drops, dips & twists ending in Oblivion ;) ....

Excellent! Can't think what a rollercoaster or roundabout look like (I might have done them without knowing it, not sure!), but it sounds like fun to me!

Trish
21st-September-2004, 01:26 PM

THE FLINGY FLUNG

Just what is this move about....... :confused: :rofl: :rofl:

I've heard you mention this before, could you describe it to me? I agree though it is a pants name!

I like the "First move twirly whirly seducer", very descriptive and also an excellent move - although it's a possiblilty it's only called that by Michaela Walker, not sure.

MartinHarper
21st-September-2004, 02:28 PM
Can't think what a rollercoaster look like

Rollercoaster comb (filed under "not yet").
L-R hold start (finishes R-R).
1-3. As left-handed comb.
4. Boy places right hand on girl's right wrist.
5. Boy uses this R-R hold to lead the girl to make a turn clockwise.
6. Step back.
7. Return...
8. ... the girl.

On the Alton Towers theme, isn't the Wurlitzer a type of fairground ride?

Gordon J Pownall
21st-September-2004, 02:51 PM
I've heard you mention this before, could you describe it to me? I agree though it is a pants name!

Will do - soon as I look it up.......

The other move is, I think, I Mich W special - one of her own (either moves or names) not sure which ...

Lou
21st-September-2004, 03:42 PM
On the Alton Towers theme, isn't the Wurlitzer a type of fairground ride?
A fairground organ (don't laugh there at the back!). :grin:

Oooh, I just thought - You'd enter Alton Towers through a Turnstyle, wouldn't you? (Variation on a Sway where you flick the lady's hand behind you back & rotate a lot).

A Rollercoaster starts in a cross hand hold & basically involves both dancers turning one after each other. You can spice it up and change places at the same time. There's a sort of break in the middle, and it ends in a catapult finish.

Lou
21st-September-2004, 03:43 PM
Will do - soon as I look it up.......
Isn't it a sort of Wurlitzer variation?

MartinHarper
21st-September-2004, 04:06 PM
Flingy Flung:
http://www.afterfive.co.uk/guide/latest/html/FlingyFlungFull.html

spindr
21st-September-2004, 05:30 PM
I think the ballroom folk call the "flung" bit -- "rolling off the arm".

SpinDr.

Robin
21st-September-2004, 07:04 PM
Most incorrectly named move : The Rib Breaker

Any guys from UrbanMetro will know its definitely a breaker but somewhat lower down !! :tears:

drathzel
22nd-September-2004, 08:46 AM
Franck did the Lydia last night!!!!!..... Excellent move IMHO!!! :whistle: :innocent:

Gordon J Pownall
22nd-September-2004, 09:25 AM
Most incorrectly named move : The Rib Breaker

Any guys from UrbanMetro will know its definitely a breaker but somewhat lower down !! :tears:

Respect.....!!!!!

....and are you still rubbing the cream in...??? :what:

Yogi_Bear
22nd-September-2004, 10:55 PM

Quite so, but to aid understanding of this move - the second triple step in place is referred to in the US as an anchor step........
:rolleyes:

RobC
23rd-September-2004, 01:40 PM
..... the second tripple step on the spot (referred to as the anker step).

Quite so, but to aid understanding of this move - the second triple step in place is referred to in the US as an anchor step........
:rolleyes:
Errr, didn't I just say that ? :confused:

Graham W
23rd-September-2004, 05:58 PM
Yeah 'Flingy Flung' ,er pointless..

Lasso is a good one.., the name suits..

Seducer is well over-used word for moves...
I also dislike the er, 'tic-tac' -

G

Maybe it was your spelling of anker(sic) that threw him, !??