PDA

View Full Version : Not enough Saturdays!

Gus
19th-September-2004, 04:12 PM
In the North West and some other regions, the popularity of Modern Jive is a bit of a two edged sword. Thengrowth in the market has allowed an expasnion in clubs, there are now about 11 clubs in the region capable fo running weekend freetsyles. The slight problem is that there are only (usualy) 4 weekends in a month .... so has does 11 go in to 4? At present different clubs deal with the inevitable clashes. If a club thinks they will be hammered they may cancel or postpone their night. Alternative strategies include reducing ticket price or putting on a special attraction. However, as more clubs want to run freestyles the situation can only worsen.

Anyone with a bright idea as to how this situation can be resolved? :confused:

drathzel
19th-September-2004, 05:24 PM
How about using a friday night?
:flower:

Gus
19th-September-2004, 06:08 PM
:flower:A couple do ... the plain fact is htough that Friday nights are less popular. Maybe its the hassle of having to get back from work ... or more likely its the fact that the main roads (especially the M6 and the M60) are a nightmare on a Friday night. Also, would people go out to a freestyle on a Friday and then on a Saturday?

Having said all that ... its not a bad course of action. :)

drathzel
19th-September-2004, 06:35 PM
A couple do ... the plain fact is htough that Friday nights are less popular. Maybe its the hassle of having to get back from work ... or more likely its the fact that the main roads (especially the M6 and the M60) are a nightmare on a Friday night. Also, would people go out to a freestyle on a Friday and then on a Saturday?

Having said all that ... its not a bad course of action. :)

well i know that if i had the option i probably would go both nights... maybe not every week but then not everyone can make it to every party night!

And it could be rotated. One month one club has it on a friday next month on a saturday! :D

Gus
19th-September-2004, 08:03 PM
And it could be rotated. One month one club has it on a friday next month on a saturday! :DPart of the problem is that there are 6 competing MJ organisations, with varying degrees of willingness to work together. Its difficult enough just within Blitz. There are four clubs in the area, each with a freestyle each.

Gadget
19th-September-2004, 09:21 PM
How about a Sunday? The main reason most folk don't go out partying on a Sunday is the monday morning hang-over and getting up to work; but how many MJers drink to excess?

Whitebeard
19th-September-2004, 10:43 PM
..... 11 clubs in the region capable fo running weekend freetsyles. The slight problem is that there are only (usualy) 4 weekends in a month .... so has does 11 go in to 4? .....
You're saying that each club, franchisee whatever, would like to put on a Saturday Freestyle every month?? Potentially there are three Freestyles in the area nearly every Saturday?? Dancers' really are spoiled for choice in that neck't woods.

Since I wouldn't be prepared to travel more than a dozen or so miles, I'm lucky if I get an opportunity for a Freestyle more than once every other month. I know others undertake travel much more lightly but increasing distances must be a limiting factor for most dancers.

Ideally the promoters' would get together and work out and agree the best compromise so that where dances were on the same night they would be as far apart as possible. Fridays should be viable in some localities. But in the end the unpredictable laws of supply and demand in the marketplace will probably prevail.

Dazzle
19th-September-2004, 10:45 PM
Some clubs have ben known to just expect people to turn up, due to little competition, and so make little effort :mad: . More competition will mean they wil have to be bigger, better and offer something different to attract the dancers. The dancers will benefit and go to the best venues where their patronage is appreciated. :waycool:

Supply and demand will determine a final level for freestyles. unsupported events cannot continue unless the organiser has unlimited funds available to them.

Fridays are a good idea, Sundays maybe ocassionaly, but they are not just avoided due to drinking, people like to get ready for Monday mornings and have an early night. Sunday classes are quite popular, but finish earlier :flower: .

Whitebeard
19th-September-2004, 10:59 PM
Sunday classes are quite popular, but finish earlier ....
Sunday T-jive ..... I'd be tempted by that on a miserabley cold wet Winter Sunday.

Gus
19th-September-2004, 11:03 PM
Ideally the promoters' would get together and work out and agree the best compromise so that where dances were on the same night they would be as far apart as possible. {Cynic Mode ON}Yeah ... and on that day the lion shalt lay down with the sheep etc. etc. etc. {Cynic Mode OFF}
I wish that was possible but unless the UN mediation team came into town I cant see the personalities here agreeing to anything. As Dazzle says .. we have some real competition ... which is good for the punters in the short term.

philsmove
20th-September-2004, 08:24 AM
:flower:

Friday dances are very popular in the Bristol arial. An exellent dance last friday night in Bath was nearly sold out

I went away walking for the weekend but was still was able to get a dance before I left

Gus
20th-September-2004, 09:07 AM
Friday dances are very popular in the Bristol arial. An exellent dance last friday night in Bath was nearly sold outBut was that with a major freestyle on the following night? Firday's per se are not a problem ... its whether there is another dance event on the following night.

Lou
20th-September-2004, 10:03 AM
But was that with a major freestyle on the following night? Firday's per se are not a problem ... its whether there is another dance event on the following night.
Nope. It was a quiet weekend in Bristol. That's why Bath was busier. There were whispers of a dance in Nailsea on Saturday, but I think they wanted to keep it quiet. They're funny down there..... :whistle:

Seriously, as you know we've got a lot of separate organisations & classes in this area. Luckily, they realise that it's in their best interests not to organise clashing events. So, it's evolved that certain groups book on particular nights at particular times of the month. Most organisations book up about a year or so in advance. Saturday was originally going to be an Elmgrove dance organised by Clifton LeRoc, but they'd cancelled months ago, but no one else took their date (maybe because it was still showing on the Leroc in Bristol site, I don't know). Anyway - this weekend sees Friday night at PBA, and Saturday at St Bon's - so back to a nice busy weekend for us.... :clap:

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 01:48 PM
How about a Sunday? The main reason most folk don't go out partying on a Sunday is the monday morning hang-over and getting up to work; but how many MJers drink to excess?

i would go on a sunday as i dont really drink when i go dancing.Mainly more to keep my balance! :whistle:

Trish
20th-September-2004, 02:28 PM
But was that with a major freestyle on the following night? Firday's per se are not a problem ... its whether there is another dance event on the following night.

In the Ceroc Central area there are sometimes Friday and Saturdays following each other, and I do sometimes go to both - or I'll go to say St Neots/Bedford on a Friday and then one of the Amphill Blues nights on a Saturday, I'm not the only one either. My only problem with it is that I have to balance things with my non-dancing husband (he's very understanding though - or perhaps he's just pleased to get rid of me for a night out with the lads :wink: )

I would say in our area there are probably more Friday freestyles than Saturday, and they're usually packed!

jivecat
20th-September-2004, 03:23 PM
Ceroc Central also runs tea dances at Kettering on Sunday afternoons/evenings every couple of months which are hugely popular. They start around 5:30 and finish at 10:30. I really like them as I'm fresh for dancing after a few days relaxation and they end early-ish before I get too tired. They also give good value for money with 5 hours of dancing time. I particularly like them in the winter as then I don't notice the early sunset so much!

Chicklet
20th-September-2004, 03:46 PM
Much more likely to go to a do on Friday night than Sunday night, but probably only one a month, I seem to be able to get my head around (and my body to stay awake) a venture over to R66 of a Friday but as a rule I need to have a wee snooze in the afternoon if I'm dancing at night (and me only 29 too!)

Sunday afternoon more tempting than Sunday night as HAVE to do refreshing face mask and paint finger and toenails on Sunday night. :waycool:

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 07:24 PM
Sunday afternoon more tempting than Sunday night as HAVE to do refreshing face mask and paint finger and toenails on Sunday night. :waycool:

Here, here Sunday nights are for relaxations and pampering :yeah:

Lola
20th-September-2004, 08:16 PM
i agree, a girl (or boy ) needs some time to prepare for the next week, but sunday afternoon tea dances are the best way to fill those long afternoons and a more relaxed way to meet the people you're dancing with.... :cheers:

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 08:23 PM
i agree, a girl (or boy ) needs some time to prepare for the next week, but sunday afternoon tea dances are the best way to fill those long afternoons and a more relaxed way to meet the people you're dancing with.... :cheers:

Sunday Afternoons are so boring! I vote for Tea dances! Yeahy!!!

Lola
20th-September-2004, 08:31 PM
can also be improved by the adding of cream cakes and stick buns to go with the tea.....who says sundays have to be boring!!!

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 08:36 PM
can also be improved by the adding of cream cakes and stick buns to go with the tea.....who says sundays have to be boring!!!

MMM whipped cream! I love cream buns! :D

Lola
20th-September-2004, 08:39 PM
could get rather sticky on the dance floor!!!!

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 08:46 PM
could get rather sticky on the dance floor!!!!

Whip cream buns and dancing. Thats to much fun for me to handle! :whistle: :innocent:

Lola
20th-September-2004, 08:53 PM
would certainly make sunday afternoons more fun than thora herd and songs of praise!!!! maybe we should try it ???

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 08:55 PM
would certainly make sunday afternoons more fun than thora herd and songs of praise!!!! maybe we should try it ???

Sounds good! But where will we have it? I mean i might find it a bit hard getting down to Wales :what:

Lola
20th-September-2004, 08:59 PM
i wounder if this is helping gus's problem of not having enough saturdays??? me thinks not... but it could be a way to attract more dancers to your freestyle!!! maybe we could gather more cream bun loving dancers and meet half way.....

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 09:14 PM
i wounder if this is helping gus's problem of not having enough saturdays??? me thinks not... but it could be a way to attract more dancers to your freestyle!!! maybe we could gather more cream bun loving dancers and meet half way.....

But that would mean having to share the cream buns! But i could trade buns for dances.. hmmm.. ok You got yourself a deal!

shouts " DOES ANYONE WANNA SHARE MY CREAM BUNS?"

Gadget
20th-September-2004, 09:34 PM
where's CJ? :innocent:

drathzel
20th-September-2004, 09:35 PM
where's CJ? :innocent:

I have him bound and gagged! Why?

MartinHarper
20th-September-2004, 10:51 PM
Longer years.

Whitebeard
20th-September-2004, 11:50 PM
..... stick buns ....
Methinks your fantasyzing is getting out of hand here !!

Whitebeard
20th-September-2004, 11:55 PM
I have him bound and gagged!
What sort of torture are you subjecting him to ?

Whitebeard
20th-September-2004, 11:59 PM
Longer years.

Didn't someone tell you ....... they get shorter !!

drathzel
21st-September-2004, 01:17 PM
What sort of torture are you subjecting him to ?

None as of yet. :innocent: Any suggestions?

Lola
21st-September-2004, 06:15 PM
Methinks your fantasyzing is getting out of hand here !!
can't a girl have some fun ???

Lola
21st-September-2004, 06:17 PM
None as of yet. :innocent: Any suggestions?
careful too many ideas may get him excited!!!!

Whitebeard
21st-September-2004, 10:30 PM
can't a girl have some fun ???
I'm all for that !!!

Toots
21st-September-2004, 10:39 PM
I vote that there should be 2 Saturday's in a week!!!! Oh and a sunday, which obviously cuts down on work (unless you work weekends of course!!)

Toots
21st-September-2004, 10:43 PM
Oh crikey just got me thinkung now, should we then have 8 days in a week or cut another day out of the week? Right got to stop thinking like this now, it must be time for bed!!

Whitebeard
21st-September-2004, 10:49 PM
Oh crikey just got me thinkung now, should we then have 8 days in a week or cut another day out of the week? Right got to stop thinking like this now, it must be time for bed!!
What are you drinking !!

Mine's a large Scotch.

Tuck yourself up tidy now (Welsh accent) and get some shuteye.

Gojive
21st-September-2004, 11:18 PM
Wahey! is that the georgeous Toots from Woking/Guildford????

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If so, please welcome one of the South's fantastic dancers guys :flower:

Baruch
22nd-September-2004, 01:36 AM
Nah, they should decimalise the week so that we can work for 5 days, have a day off then spend 4 days dancing :waycool:

drathzel
22nd-September-2004, 08:25 AM
careful too many ideas may get him excited!!!!

Maybe that was the point!! Ha ha! :D

drathzel
22nd-September-2004, 08:26 AM

7 days and 3 weekend days. But one in the mid of the week to recharge your batteries! :waycool:

Graham W
23rd-September-2004, 05:52 PM

Gus,

Bristol has a fri & sat dance this weekend (with workshop before - aussies Mark & simone, on sat) - will keep u posted on attendances, vibe, clothes (ah that bit's irrlevant, sorry :-)) if u like ?

G

philsmove
26th-September-2004, 11:41 AM
Gus,

Bristol has a fri & sat dance this weekend (with workshop before - aussies Mark & simone, on sat) - will keep u posted on attendances, vibe, clothes (ah that bit's irrlevant, sorry :-)) if u like ?

GThe Friday night dance was poorly attended and the Saturday one packed

But the Saturday class also has a specials class before the dance

Quite a few of the people I would have expected to see on Friday did not make ether

Both venues had good floors sound and music

Both had cheap bars and free parking

The Friday venue was a bit out of the way but has seen packed dances in the past

The Saturday venue had the advantage of a well-known central location

The cloths - Saturday was a 70 theme - less said the better

Gus
26th-September-2004, 12:52 PM
The Friday night dance was poorly attended and the Saturday one packed ....The Friday venue was a bit out of the way but has seen packed dances in the past Can we infer from this that when two events are so close together most people will opt for the best one and desert the lesser one?

Lou
26th-September-2004, 01:26 PM
Can we infer from this that when two events are so close together most people will opt for the best one and desert the lesser one?
Nope. PBA is handier for those people in South Bristol, St Bon's for us in the North. I prefer dancing on Saturday, some find Friday more convenient. It was a normal dance at PBA, St Bon's had a workshop, specials class, display & 70's theme. Some people came to both. Some people came to neither.

There's too many variables to say why one was packed & the other not so.

(Although, I suspect that that all the extra stuff at St Bons attracted people this time, as it's not normally so busy. You never know - perhaps Sherif's new website encouraged people to attend. :rolleyes: Perhaps it was the cheesy music like Tie a Yellow Ribbon.....)

Gus
26th-September-2004, 01:29 PM
Perhaps it was the cheesy music like Tie a Yellow Ribbon.....)Now I'm starting to understand why there is a petition to partition off Bristol and sell it off to the US.

philsmove
26th-September-2004, 06:19 PM
You never know - perhaps Sherif's new website encouraged people to attend. :rolleyes: )
:yeah:
And a very energetic webmistress :wink:

Lounge Lizard
26th-September-2004, 07:02 PM
perhaps Sherif's new website encouraged people to attend. :rolleyes: Perhaps it was the cheesy music like Tie a Yellow Ribbon.....)I was in Switzerland two weeks ago, there is no MJ but we went to the only dance pub in the area took out a mortgage on the drinks and waited for the band to start.......a three piece combo first number tie a yellow ribbon - and we danced away to it - just as well cos it got worse!!!
Now I know why the Swiss are famous for cheese :grin:

we were the entertainment for a while then otherts started their own version of MJ called 'Disco Fox'
So any ideas what this is? I think it was a basic back step dance that seems to be adjusted to incorporate MJ style moves.
LL

Graham W
27th-September-2004, 05:37 PM
..thanks Phil's Move - u saved me a job!!

G