PDA

View Full Version : BritRoc 2004 - who's going?

Graham W
18th-September-2004, 05:53 PM
...I hope this doesnt turn into a debate on pros & cons of BritRoc debate - just wondering who's going/thinking of going..

..still debating thu I've booked a place

G

ElaineB
20th-September-2004, 07:27 AM
Me!!! And about twenty others from Bristol!! :wink:

Elaine
:hug:

Lou
20th-September-2004, 08:29 AM
Me!!! And about twenty others from Bristol!! :wink:
Not me - but good luck to all my Bristol Buddies! :hug:

Gordon J Pownall
20th-September-2004, 10:23 AM
It promises to be an amazing weekend..... :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: last years was brilliant, well organised and a stormin' venue.....

There is a dance on the Friday night with some top 'name' DJ's having slots and on competition day, Graham and Sarah have put together a programme that will run smoothly, no doubt to time and gives the opportunity for an obscene amount of freestyle as well.

Music wise I know that DJ Bunnie :worthy: and Roger Chin :worthy: will both be turning the tunes on Friday night and the party will continue right through Saturday during the competitions and Saturday night of course.

Who else is gonna be there - I will cos I am DJ Bunnies roadie / arm candy / brow mopper / drink getter for the weekend....... :whistle: :whistle:

Sheepman
20th-September-2004, 02:03 PM
I'll be there, trying not to attract any attention :blush:

and Mrs. Sheepy will be there, entering her first ever competition! (If her entry made it in time.)

Greg

Gordon J Pownall
20th-September-2004, 02:26 PM
I'll be there, trying not to attract any attention :blush:

and Mrs. Sheepy will be there, entering her first ever competition! (If her entry made it in time.)

Greg

I shall hope to see you both there then......what are you (and Mrs Sheepy) entering.....

(Your response should not include Mrs Sheepy Greg...!!! :really: :eek: :what: :whistle: )

Details HERE (www.britroc.com) by the way and still time to book and enter........

Gordon J Pownall
20th-September-2004, 02:30 PM
The Categories
Please note that in addition to the entry for each section, each competitor must purchase a ticket for the complete event. All first placed couples will each receive a trophy. All other places will be awarded a medal. All finalists will receive a prize to remind them of their success in reaching the final.

Pre-Competition Dance on the Friday £10 and All Day Venue Entry on the Saturday £25

Dance With a Stranger
Entry fee £5 each
Anyone can enter this section. No partner is required for this category. Couples will be paired up at random on the day. You will get one track to get to know each other and another for the judges to watch and mark. 1st place couple receive £50, 2nd and 3rd places receive a bottle of Champagne for each person.

In addition to this we will now be holding another round. In this, people knocked out in the first round can be re-paired with another knocked-out dancer to have another chance of getting through.

Intermediate Freestyle
Entry fee £20 per couple
This section is for couples who have not been placed in an Intermediate or better category at the Blackpool or Bristol competitions and not placed in Intermediate or Advanced or Open at the Hammersmith Palais competitions. No dance teachers or professional dancers. 1st place couple receive £100, 2nd £50 and 3rd £25.

Seniors Freestyle
Entry fee £20 per couple
All entrants must be over 50. Be prepared to prove your age if you look under 50 - remember, 50 is the new 30!!! No teachers or professionals. 1st place receive a bottle of quality vintage Champagne each, 2nd and 3rd place couples receive a bottle of Champagne for each person.

Advanced Freestyle
Entry fee £20 per couple
This section is for people who would like to compete with the best non-professional dancers. No teachers or professionals. The winners of this category will be entitled to call themselves the British Amateur Leroc Champions. 1st place couple receive £200, 2nd £100 and 3rd £50.

Open Classic British Championships
Entry fee £25
This section is open to anybody. Dancing will be to 2 tracks, one slow and the other fast. In the heats 2 minutes each of one slow and one fast track will be played. Rule 5 is partly suspended for this category - dancers are permitted to do up to 2 airsteps to each track. In the Final Round tracks will be played in full and dancers will be permitted to do up to 3 airsteps in each track. However, they will still be judged on the way these steps fit with the dance and music rather than just on their own merits as an airstep. The winners of this category will be entitled to call themselves the British Leroc Champions. 1st place couple receive £500, 2nd £200 and 3rd £100.

Airsteps
Entry fee £25
Anyone can enter and anything goes. As many airsteps as you like and have the strength for! Rule 5 is suspended for this category. 1st place couple receive £100, 2nd £50 and 3rd £25.

Showcase
Entry fee £25
This is the one to win and the one not to miss. You'll need to be very, very good to win this one. Dance a choreographed routine to between 3 and 5 minutes of music you have chosen for yourselves. Music should be supplied on CD, minidisk or cassette and be on track 1. Rules 1, 4 and 5 do not apply. All other types of dance are permitted but at least 20% of the dance must be recognisable as Modern Jive. Winners of this category will be entitled to call themselves the British Showcase Champions. 1st Place couple £1,000, 2nd £250 and 3rd £100.

Team Cabaret
Entry fee £50 per team
At least 4 couples dancing a choreographed routine to between 3 and 5 minutes of music of their choice. Rules 1, 4 and 5 do not apply. All other types of dance are permitted but at least 20% of the dance must be recognisable as Modern Jive. 1st place £250, 2nd £100 and 3rd £50.

Double-Trouble
Entry fee £25
Any combination of 3 dancers. Open to all levels. Rule 5 does not apply. 1st place £100, 2nd £50 and 3rd £25.

Graham W
20th-September-2004, 05:31 PM
Elaine..?... have we met? ;-)

G

Who is 'DJ Bunnie'??

ElaineB
20th-September-2004, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=Graham W]Elaine..?... have we met? ;-)

G

QUOTE]

Yes, kind Sir, you were wearing black at the time, quite a dark shade..........although rumour has it that sometimes you wear purple...... :rofl: I seem to recall that you swept me off my feet, over the patch of floor with coke spilt on it, to a faraway place - near the DJ! :rofl:

Elaine

Lynn
20th-September-2004, 10:37 PM
Do many folk go just to spectate? Its another fairly easy to get to venue from NI and it would be nice to see a competition.

Andy McGregor
20th-September-2004, 10:50 PM
Do many folk go just to spectate? Its another fairly easy to get to venue from NI and it would be nice to see a competition.

There will be quite a few spectators - and there's loads of freestyle too. But if you were only going to go to one competition it would have to be Blackpool. My advice is to go to all of them and have your own competition too. Hey, who wants to be NI MJ champion? :devil:

Lynn
20th-September-2004, 11:17 PM
My advice is to go to all of them... If I had limitless budget and time... Probably won't get to anything else though - its just post weekender enthusiasm - the real world will settle in soon :tears:

Hey, who wants to be NI MJ champion? :devil: Well - we are having our second ever freestyle dance this Wed! Give us a decade or so...

Minnie M
21st-September-2004, 12:58 AM
You on commision Gordy :confused:

Dave Hancock
21st-September-2004, 07:50 AM
There are a few of us going down from Scotland, in no particular order, John and Hazel, Brady, Lindsay, Wendy and Gill, Jennifer & myself, Nik & Fi. (Nicky and Cassandra???)

If anyone else is going from Scotland please PM me as we were talking about this at the weekend and we are looking to line up a B&B/hotel in the next few days so we can all be one big happy family.

See you all there :cheers:

Andy McGregor
21st-September-2004, 09:11 AM
Well - we are having our second ever freestyle dance this Wed! Give us a decade or so...

The next time you have a dance, call it the Irish LeRoc Championships, have a DWAS during the evening, start your own website and become famous. Then, when you start teaching you can say "Learn from the Irish Champion".

.. well it worked for LeJive :wink:

Minnie M
21st-September-2004, 09:49 AM

And all this time I thought Robert Austin came from Yorkshire :whistle:

Lou
21st-September-2004, 09:57 AM

Oooooh! Handbag!

Gordon J Pownall
21st-September-2004, 10:13 AM
And all this time I thought Robert Austin came from Yorkshire :whistle:

There's a name I've not heard in a long time - What is Phat Jive doing nowadays anyway.....???

Oh...BTW - not on commission, just sharing the news that's all - same as :-

JiveMasters 2004 (videos soon to be available) :wink:
JiveMasters 2003 (videos still available) :whistle:
MiniMasters 2004 (yep - gonna be videos of that as well) :nice:

Graham and Sarah, organisers of BritRoc are such good friends and both a re working really hard to make this year as successful as the last year. :worthy:

DJ Bunnie (Sal Ford) is (IMHO) one of the best DJ's around (and is a girly as well so loadsa novelty factor and easier on the eye than John Brett!! :what: ).

She DJ'd the music for BritRoc last year although she was hidden behind the decks which were far too high for her to see over (got an orange box this year for her). :sick:

Sal will be handling the decks during the day and will be DJing Saturday evening with Roger Chin. :worthy:

Roger and Sal are also doing the Friday party night with Graham LeClerc as well...!! :worthy:

Counting down the days......

Sheepman
21st-September-2004, 12:18 PM
I shall hope to see you both there then......what are you (and Mrs Sheepy) entering..... Keeping it clean - We're both doing the DWAS, I shall also be doing the Advanced. We'll be standing down in the Champion of Champions category, because I think Andy has that sewn up already. So do you have time in between roadie-ing to compete, perchance in a team?

And Lynn, if the budget does stretch to making it, make sure you enter the DWAS, the adrenalin helps make the w/e!

Greg

Gojive
21st-September-2004, 12:42 PM
MiniMasters 2004 (yep - gonna be videos of that as well)

Oh b*gger! Don't you think I'm under enough pressure as it is!! :sick: :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
21st-September-2004, 01:08 PM
So do you have time in between roadie-ing to compete, perchance in a team? Greg

Not altogether sure yet as many of the team are either committed (or should be) to other things including holidays / work etc. :rolleyes:

Final decision to be made by Adam and Mandy in the next week or so...??? :eek:

The UrbanMetro Krew 'Slow' routine :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: is obviously one that lends itself to more couples rather than fewer so our choreographer will let those that are available know asap...

See you there Greg (and Mrs Sheepy as well...!!!) :hug:

G...x :flower:

Jon L
7th-October-2004, 11:56 PM
May well attend.

Might even enter DWAS - would also like to go to intermediate but I will have to market myself a bit, and may save up for ceroc champs next year.

If you're a woman (ideally under 5' 8'' in height) and fancy dancing with an intermediate male dancer of four years experience, then please pm me. this is quite late notice. If I don't hear anything from you by Sunday then I'll assume it's a no go.

Andy McGregor
8th-October-2004, 10:59 AM
DJ Bunnie (Sal Ford) is (IMHO) one of the best DJ's around (and is a girly as well so loadsa novelty factor and easier on the eye than John Brett!! :what: ).

Whilst this is true, I would just like to point out that JB is still quite attractive in certain lights :whistle:

Minnie M
8th-October-2004, 11:06 AM
Whilst this is true, I would just like to point out that JB is still quite attractive in certain lights :whistle:

It's no good fishing for compliments Andy, Sally DOES look better in a skirt than you - never seen JB in a skirt, so can't comment about him :rolleyes:

Gordon J Pownall
12th-October-2004, 11:43 AM
OK - Three days and then it's BrotRoc 2004.

There is still time to get your entries in (across all categories from what I hear).

If you haven't entered yet....WHY NOT>>>????

The party of Friday night promises to be great as does the activities of Saturdat culminating in a party night and freestyle...

See you all there....!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Andy McGregor
12th-October-2004, 11:53 AM
There is still time to get your entries in (across all categories from what I hear).

I'm not so sure about ladies lucky dip. Sue and Christine have been put on a waiting list. Maybe they just need more guys, come on guys, get those entries in so Sue can have something to worry about other than my outfit :eek:

Dreadful Scathe
24th-December-2004, 08:18 PM
We got the Britroc DVD's today, just in time for Xmas. Is this late or early ? Anyone else got one ? :)

Lynn
24th-December-2004, 10:12 PM
We got the Britroc DVD's today, just in time for Xmas. Is this late or early ? Anyone else got one ? :) I got mine yesterday - video rather than DVD as I don't (yet) have a DVD player. The second video sadly slips a lot with the picture and sound distorted every few seconds :tears: - its unwatchable so I'll have to get in touch with someone and arrange a replacement. But video one is OK and that's the heats, probably the bit I wanted to see first - very interesting seeing myself dancing - I can see a lot I need to improve!

You both looked great btw!

jockey
26th-December-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm going, partly because I live 2 streets away; and that must make me the closest competitor in the entire competition!;however, my partner lives in the Basque Country - which must make her the furthest away (Australians?,
what Australians...?)
I enjoyed Britrock along with many others - marked absence of winging, judging was excellent (it exactly coincided with my own :nice: Q :is their an 'irony' symbol?), atmosphere relaxed, and the music was good. Don't like the name much though...
Shouldn't the question be Britrock 2005 - who's going? (Or am I losing it.... :confused: ?)

Katie
26th-December-2004, 01:21 PM
I'm going, partly because I live 2 streets away; and that must make me the closest competitor in the entire competition

Afraid not, I live one road away! :wink:

Andy McGregor
26th-December-2004, 01:58 PM
Don't like the name much though...
Shouldn't the question be Britrock 2005 - who's going? (Or am I losing it.... :confused: ?)

When Graham and I were organising this together he insisted on this name. I wanted to call it Rocstars. However, most of the other arrangements were my ideas and I'm glad you liked them :flower:

This tread was started before the 2004 competition and it is all about that one. We've got 3 more competitions to debate and dissect before we start on Britroc (note spelling) again.

Who's going to start the "Blackpool 2005, who's going?" thread?

BTW, I'm going to Blackpool. I know who my partner(s) are going to be for some of it but my Advanced Silver medal winning partner has been tempted away by someone younger, fitter, funkier, better looking, taller, and who's a better dancer with better dress sense - how could she? :wink: I think it might have been my line "you shouldn't be with an old git like me, you should be partnering someone young and funky" that might have convinced her :waycool:

So I'm looking for a new Advanced partner for Blackpool. Major requirements, courage, a sense of humour and a willingness to enter a major competition having done almost no practice - and maybe a bit scary as that seems to help somehow :what:

Lynn
26th-December-2004, 02:31 PM
Shouldn't the question be Britrock 2005 - who's going? (Or am I losing it.... :confused: ?) This thread was brought up again as the Britroc 2004 DVDs and videos were sent out last week.

Sheepman
27th-December-2004, 01:33 PM
but my Advanced Silver medal winning partner has been tempted away by someone younger, fitter, funkier, better looking, taller, and who's a better dancer with better dress sense Hmmm, I know that's not me then ... (but how? :devil: )

Greg

under par
27th-December-2004, 01:38 PM
Hmmm, I know that's not me then ... (but how? :devil: )

Greg

Can't be me either...only "the younger and taller" bit can I relate to! :flower:

Dreadful Scathe
5th-January-2005, 02:23 PM
I'm going.... <snip>

No cos its about Britroc 2004 which you're NOT going to unless you have a time machine. Losing it? You've already lost it I think :).

Has anyone else seen the DVD for Britroc? Its pretty poor. I dont think he disc is very good quality, the menus are terrible, it wont play in either of my DVD players, it shows up on my computer as having an invalid file system. In fact it only plays with winDVD and it stutters when it does. It costs very little to produce DVDs nowadays so is this worth it? Not such an issue if its a charity event of course, but are dance DVDs generally worth the money ? discuss :)

Lynn
5th-January-2005, 02:40 PM
It costs very little to produce DVDs nowadays so is this worth it? Not such an issue if its a charity event of course, but are dance DVDs generally worth the money ? discuss :) I got a DVD player this week, am wondering if I buy any more dance videos if I should get DVDs instead?

I'll have to get in touch with someone and arrange a replacement. Going to get video 2 replaced when at Bognor this weekend. :grin:

And on the subject of DVDs/videos - I want to learn to dance better - no classes here so I'm going to get some DVDs and practice at home. Any suggestions on good ones to get?

David Franklin
5th-January-2005, 03:00 PM
Has anyone else seen the DVD for Britroc? Its pretty poor. I dont think he disc is very good quality, the menus are terrible, it wont play in either of my DVD players, it shows up on my computer as having an invalid file system. In fact it only plays with winDVD and it stutters when it does. It costs very little to produce DVDs nowadays so is this worth it? Not such an issue if its a charity event of course, but are dance DVDs generally worth the money ? discuss :)On the positive side, I thought the way things were divided into the competition categories was good, and I appreciated having the overviews. On the -ve side, the menus were poor, and there seemed to be a strange thing where the DVDs always show black for 10 seconds before starting. I also had intermittent problems with some of the DVDs on my DVD player, but they were much better on the computer. Lots of strange behaviour when trying to jump to different bits as well :sad:.

I think it's getting better, but over the last year I've had a lot of trouble with recorded DVDs. The mass-produced DVDs (i.e. films) seem fine, but the ones recorded using DVD writers are very hit and miss. I think DavidB commented about a wedding video company actually supplying a DVD player with the final DVD to ensure it played - it was more cost-effective than dealing with all the issues of the DVDs not working in certain players.

As for Dance DVDs in general: I got a DVD of the last 20 years of showcase/classic routines from the US Open this October. It was not cheap by MJ standards, but there are so many fantastic routines on there that I consider it very good value. For the more recent footage (i.e. 1995 onwards) the quality is very high, with much more professional camera work and editing than the norm over here. There is effectively no menu system, but stepping back and forwards to find a particular routine isn't a big hardship. Following that, I got a similar 10 year compilation from another competition - this was a bit more hit and miss, but had some very cool aerial stuff (David Howland & Vivienne Ramsey :worthy: ) I was particularly after.

When it comes to UK footage, I don't know if it's my showcase bias, or just because putting the spotlight on a single couple yields the best results, but I find I generally only look at the showcases and the bits I competed in. Realistically, I think a lot of competition footage is only of interest to the competitors.

Thinking about it, I'm sure I'd consider the RockBottoms Cabaret DVD to be really good value - just haven't got around to buying it yet...

Dave

Mary
5th-January-2005, 03:01 PM
And on the subject of DVDs/videos - I want to learn to dance better - no classes here so I'm going to get some DVDs and practice at home. Any suggestions on good ones to get?

I can highly recommend Amir's Jango video. I am a big fan of Amir's teaching - it's less about a bunch of complex moves, and more about technique - lead and following, making nice shapes, looking sexy (not the same as provocative), how to walk, and all sorts of stuff. And you get to learn some cool-looking moves as well. The Jango video/DVD also has Kate and Amir doing a couple of stunning performance routines.

There is a wealth teaching DVD's on the market, and maybe others can suggest some of them as well.

Maybe this subject warrants a new thread?

M

Simon
19th-March-2005, 08:52 PM
Has anyone else seen the DVD for Britroc? Its pretty poor. I dont think he disc is very good quality, the menus are terrible, it wont play in either of my DVD players, it shows up on my computer as having an invalid file system. In fact it only plays with winDVD and it stutters when it does. It costs very little to produce DVDs nowadays so is this worth it? Not such an issue if its a charity event of course, but are dance DVDs generally worth the money ? discuss :)
I posted mine back A LONG TIME AGO :whistle: because it wouldn't play on my (very cheap!) DVD player, and asked for a VHS replacement. Not heard anything since and can't find any contact details to pester the production team. Can anyone put me in contact, please?

Lynn
21st-March-2005, 12:49 AM
I posted mine back A LONG TIME AGO :whistle: because it wouldn't play on my (very cheap!) DVD player, and asked for a VHS replacement. Not heard anything since and can't find any contact details to pester the production team. Can anyone put me in contact, please? I had got the video, the second one wasn't working properly (I think it was slipping) and I was going to get it sorted when at Bognor - then I was sick and couldn't go :tears: and hadn't got round to contacting them - but then a replacement was sent in the post to me (and second video was fine).