PDA

View Full Version : Wow !!! Scottish Championships!!

DaveD
21st-October-2002, 10:16 PM
Just a huge thank you to Scot and all the crew for organising the first Scottish Ceroc competition. It was a great weekend, and although my legs couldn't last till midnight on Sunday (work on Monday etc etc..) I really enjoyed it. Team Cabaret was especially good - great support from the crowd - Dundee renta mob!!!:grin:

It was also really nice for the winner of the advanced category (sorry can't remember your name) to comment on how friendly the event and the Scots are.

You do realise though that once you've started, its a regualr event on the calendar - next year will be even better.... :wink:

Dave

Dreadful Scathe
21st-October-2002, 10:36 PM
As it was so successful, the official title should be Scottish Championships - if Ceroc HQ ever relent on their 'only one Championship' rule that is :D

'Scottish Competition' just isnt the same )

Gus
21st-October-2002, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
As it was so successful, the official title should be Scottish Championships - if Ceroc HQ ever relent on their 'only one Championship' rule that is :D

'Scottish Competition' just isnt the same )

Who cares what Ceroc London (where?) think:wink: . that fact that those 'southern jessies' failed to support the event in any way, shape or form is disgracefull. Methinks Ceroc Braveheart should carry on doing what the heck they like cause they do it so well!

Everyone who was there know the event as the Scottish Chmaps so what in a name.

PS Was nice to see that Ceroc Newcastle made the effort to support. Well done Anne and Paul!

Will
22nd-October-2002, 02:17 AM
Well after reading all these posts, I'm even more gutted that I wasn't at the Scottish Champs. Unfortunately I had to go to a wedding, but roll on next year.

And Gus, go easy with the anti-ceroc London comments mate. That's just the sort of attitude that I think Ceroc and dance companies in general can do without. I'm sure Ceroc London are absolutely thrilled about the Scottish champs and how they went so well. You do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about them. I applaud Keith from Chance 2 Dance, and his supportive comments made on one of the other threads, and he runs a 'rival' company. That sort of attitude makes me even more want to support the their Championships in Blackpool in March.

Gus
22nd-October-2002, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by Will
And Gus, go easy with the anti-ceroc London comments mate. That's just the sort of attitude that I think Ceroc and dance companies in general can do without. Apologies for offending those of a Southern disposition but as Official Devil's Advocate it is my solemn duty to put forward points of view that may stimulate meaningful debate...

In my defence (??) I have to say that the views registered are not neccesarily mine, more a synthesis of comments made by modern jivers in London who have not been assimilated...
I'm sure Ceroc London are absolutely thrilled about the Scottish champs and how they went so well.
Ahh the naivety of youth. I take it you would not make such rash comments without evidence .... have the members of Ceroc Hq taken to wearing kilts to show their support? ..... ugghhh thats not such a great thought , Erick in a kilt :tears: .... lets move on quickly
You do seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder about them. Not really ... just a fairly easy target. Please note that its not Southern dancers per se I rib (ever so gently of course). Lots of my mates and acquaintances are down South ... just so happens the vast majority of them are indpendants ... and were originaly involved with Ceroc London ..... maybe my views are borne from their experieneces ... then again, maybe I've just got a chip on each shoulder..:wink:
I applaud Keith from Chance 2 Dance, and his supportive comments made on one of the other threads, and he runs a 'rival' company. That sort of attitude makes me even more want to support the their Championships in Blackpool in March. Good on you. Keith is a thoroughly nice chap used to being applauded (though usually for his sexy dance style and stunning wife). However, as ODA I find myself compelled to assert that the Ceroc Champs are not the only champs, they certainly weren't the first and they may well not be the best .... But ... they are a major event and long may it continue to be run.

Having been to the Scottish Championships ... SORRY I meant Scottish Competiton (wouldn't like to annoy Ceroc HQ) ... have had to re-evaluate what 'best' is. As a serious competitor I've always put it down to competing against the best and I was gutted I couldn't compete at Edinburgh. Having seen the event, I think the best think that can happen is for competitive saddos like me to be kept out for ever ..... because I think it would ruin the spirit of the event .... competitiveness is one thing but somehow, and don't ask me how, the Scottish event managed to have a serious-ish competition with the competitiveness being secondary :nice:

OK .. that maybe doesn't make much sense but its late, I haven't finished recording my music, packing or emailing and I leave for NZ in 4 hours time. Can someone (Franck?) put what I'm trying to say into English???

Scot
22nd-October-2002, 10:13 AM
A couple of corrections to Gus's message.

Firstly

We did not ask Ceroc HQ to support this event I informed them that it would be a local event and we would advertise it locally. Had I asked for support they would have given it.

Secondly

Champs/competition was merely to avoid confusion between the London event. No big deal

Lastly if we can forget for a minute that I am Teacher if it had not been for Ceroc I would probably never have danced in my life. It is easy to sound off at large organisations whether it is Ceroc, Microsoft or McDonalds they have never the less been instrumental in opening up and standardising the market and you have got to be grateful for that. In my opinion CerocÕs intentions are honourable but they are a business and if it was your business you would be as protective of it too.

In my opinion small organisations trying to enter into an existing market place certainly in the IT environment will often claim to be open and against the established larger organisations, but often when they establish themselves they tend to adopt the same approaches as the larger organisations for exactly the same reasons as the larger organisations adopted them in the first place. What goes around comes around. But hey thatÕs the way of the world.

Franck
22nd-October-2002, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Scot
A couple of corrections to Gus's message.and to add to Scot's comments, Ceroc HQ were extremely forthcoming with offers to help. I spent hours on the phone with David (London Manager) and George (Head of Dance), who offered me advice, tips and shared all their printed material in order to help organizing the event.
As Scot said on Sunday, now that the Scottish Comp. is established though, we will probably try and make it a more global event, and I am sure HQ will be happy to help us promote it.

Originally posted by Scot
It is easy to sound off at large organisations whether it is Ceroc, Microsoft or McDonalds they have never the less been instrumental in opening up and standardising the market and you have got to be grateful for that.I take your point about large successful organisations, but Microsoft truly is evil :wink: :devil: They are not just standardising the market, they are trying to kill off and then copy any new innovative company.

Anyway, that belongs to another thread!

Franck.

Graham
22nd-October-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Franck

I take your point about large successful organisations, but Microsoft truly is evil :wink: :devil: They are not just standardising the market, they are trying to kill off and then copy any new innovative company.

Your appley leanings are of course well known. At least this could bring a bit of balance to the forum - now we can have you Gates-bashing to even up Gus's anti-Ceroc HQ rantings :wink:

John S
22nd-October-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Gus
..... the spirit of the event .... competitiveness is one thing but somehow, and don't ask me how, the Scottish event managed to have a serious-ish competition with the competitiveness being secondary :nice: I find a lot of the stuff in Gus's anti-Ceroc tirades a bit sad, but this point was well made and spot on.

Yes, everyone who took part in Musselburgh tried to dance as well as they possibly could, and a lot of the performances were outstandingly good, but the whole atmosphere was one of celebration and enjoyment, which is how it should be. There was a genuine warmth and encouragement between all the competitors, and if that distinctive spirit of the event can be kept for future years then that will be perfect.

Must admit I had my doubts beforehand about how successful it would all be, but I'm delighted to have been wrong!

And when you think about the Ceroc UK Championships with their revolving crew of presenters and DJs, Scot's more or less solo performance for the whole weekend was awesome.:cheers:

Scot
22nd-October-2002, 05:49 PM
Thankyou John you do my ego a power of good.

However I did in fact have a very good support team and I was using some fairly clever technology which allowed me to Compare and DJ at the same time.

For those intrested it was basically a PocketPC connected to a laptop via a wireless network. Sleeping Yet.....

I am glad you enjoyed the day and I am really happy that your team won. As I said to Sheena I think you should take it to London and also it would be great if you could do it this Saturday at the Party as true Scotsmen of course. See you Wednesday.

Scot

PS I am currently trapped in Tranent so will not be at Roysth tonight

Ste
23rd-October-2002, 01:06 AM
Thought I'd say well done Elliott for doing so so well in the Scottish Champs!!I'm not worthy I'm not worthy!You are a TRIPLE CHAMP,man!

See you soon at Hammersmith I hope and when is the next party..hehehe!

Hope you get to read this! If someone meets Elliott give him my best wishes!

Steve