PDA

View Full Version : In the Dark...

Chicklet
15th-September-2004, 02:46 PM
Half listening to a play on the radio where the protagonists (hmm can there be more than one?) are heading for a "dining event" where people eat in the pitch black....If it wasn't 2.45 in the afternoon I would be assuming things were about to turn a little risque (the organiser is called Janus after all :rofl: )

Anyway - anyone out there ever been to a "blind tasting" such as this?

Flash
15th-September-2004, 02:54 PM
There is a company called dinner in the dark or something operating in London.

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 03:39 PM
There is a company called dinner in the dark or something operating in London.

Sounds interesting :innocent:

Andy McGregor will be up for it - the meal that is :wink:

Flash
15th-September-2004, 03:51 PM
here (http://www.cosmoparty.com)
They also do Dancing Parties, Wine Tasting, Quiet Parties :confused:?
Apparently noone is allowed to talk and the guests get pens and paper to communicate....????

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 04:04 PM
What if you got sushi in the dark, and you don't like sushi :tears:

Chicklet
15th-September-2004, 04:50 PM
damn good point Pammy.
Really wouldn't want to go just to have to taste fish, dark or not.
Mind you, I'd smell it before I had to chew probably.

Lynn
15th-September-2004, 05:55 PM
Quiet Parties :confused:?
Apparently noone is allowed to talk and the guests get pens and paper to communicate....???? Well it might make you think before you 'speak' (which would maybe be a good idea for some people - like me!) and people would pay more attention to body language perhaps - interesting in the dating context. But really being 'quiet' would be intimidating, maybe they play music. But how would you juggle pen, paper and your dinner?

Dance Demon
15th-September-2004, 06:48 PM
Really wouldn't want to go just to have to taste fish, dark or not.
Mind you, I'd smell it before I had to chew probably.

Chickie........I was VERY VERY tempted....................but I'll leave it to CJ
:wink: :wink: :devil: :rofl:

Dance Demon
16th-September-2004, 03:54 PM
Chickie........I was VERY VERY tempted....................but I'll leave it to CJ
:wink: :wink: :devil: :rofl:

Hey CJ.....not like you to let an opportunity to slip.........maybe we should tranfer this to the innuendo thread.......
:wink: :devil:

Lory
16th-September-2004, 04:51 PM
Whilst in cuba last year, we hired a private guide and travelled for about 4 hours to a festival in a small town, celebrating 50 years of Fidel Castro's revolution. (which we were advised against by our tour operator but you have to witness these things first hand, don't you :D )

Basically the Cubans only get one day off a year and on this day they are given FREE alcohol, it comes in small tankers parked in the streets, people bring their own 'cups' and fights around the tanker are common place apparently! The celebrations were running high, dancing in the street, home made costumes, adorned with bottle tops and all manor of things we'd throw away. The streets were decorated with cut up magazines. Whole baby pigs were being roasted on very primative spits, every 50mtrs. (the smell was :drool: )

The streets are filthy but it was very exciting, kids with no shoes was the norm, and we were the ONLY white faces, so we were as much part of the spectacle as anything else, My Daughter, her friend, my sister in-law and myself all having long straight blonde hair, caused quite a reaction! :really:

Anyway, our guide had arranged for us to eat in a 'Palador' which is a normal family house that has a special licence. (They don't really have restaurants in these parts) The foods basic but fine.

All started out brilliantly, we even had 2 men serenading us on guitars! The starters arrived and the wine flowed! :cheers:

But it gets dark very quickly over there, and no sooner had our main course arrived they had a power cut, :eek: our guide had mysteriously vanished and we were left in total darkness, my brother and I speak a little spanish but it was hard to get any indication of what was going on or how long it would last, luckily my brother had a camcorder with a light on but with very limited battery. :rolleyes:

The funniest thing was, the guitar players just carried on as if nothing was wrong, we didn't even have any candles, we were all starving but we couldn't see what was on our plates and we sat there petrified. :sick: Stranded, 4hrs from civilisation as we know it, the streets outside running a riot with drunks, fire works blasting off continuously, that could have well been gun fire for all we knew and NO GUIDE! :tears:

The guide eventually turned up, the lights never did came back on and the guitar players are probably still playing but all in all it ended up being one of the most exciting days ever! :clap:

CJ
16th-September-2004, 05:13 PM
Hey CJ.....not like you to let an opportunity to slip......... :wink: :devil:

Well, chicklet gives me an opportunity to slip as often as I like so was nice to watch one slide right by....

That said, the only thing better than the taste of fish in the dark, is the taste of fish in the light... :devil:

Pammy
16th-September-2004, 05:16 PM
The guide eventually turned up, the lights never did came back on and the guitar players are probably still playing but all in all it ended up being one of the most exciting days ever! :clap:

Great story, sounds scarey, but fun - with the safety net of hindsight :grin:

Chicklet
16th-September-2004, 05:17 PM
let the record show that it was NOT me that started it with the fish, Pammy.

Pammy
17th-September-2004, 09:31 AM
let the record show that it was NOT me that started it with the fish, Pammy.

When has this forum every paid any attention to who started anything :wink:

Now, Chickie, back on topic, cod or plaice? :D

baldrick
17th-September-2004, 09:53 AM

Depends?
Your place or mine

CJ
17th-September-2004, 03:37 PM

Actually, today we are looking for herring. Preferably the red variety!!

:wink:

Flash
17th-September-2004, 04:03 PM
Actually, today we are looking for herring. Preferably the red variety!!

:wink:
And muscles too....

Pammy
17th-September-2004, 04:23 PM
Some times you lot can be so damn crabby! :blush:

Gojive
17th-September-2004, 04:25 PM
Some times you lot can be so damn crabby! :blush:

What a shellfish thing to say! :really: :yum: .