PDA

View Full Version : Phobia's!

ElaineB
15th-September-2004, 01:06 PM
For some odd reason, I decided to walk into work today. Took a wrong turn and was faced with a bridge.........now these are not normally a problem to me, but this particular one had wires at the side and gave the impression that it was 'open sided'. :tears:

I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides! I stopped in absolute horror and turned round to face about ten people coming towards me. The expression on my face must have been really funny as one man stopped and asked if I was OK! I told him that I have a phobia over 'open sided' bridges and was sorely tempted to ask if I could hold his hand to cross the next bit! :rofl: Rationality restored itself and I managed to get over - walking about six inches behind the poor chap! He must have thought I was barmy!!

Anyone else have a phobia spring up on them like that?

I have also been up the Eiffel Tower and very nearly ended up in tears, as I found it nearly impossible to walk 'the plank' into the lift to get down! Now I understand why the Pope kisses the ground when he gets off a plane - he must be terrified, poor man! :rofl:

Elaine

Gojive
15th-September-2004, 01:14 PM
Awww Elaine! :flower:

My advice would be to keep going to that same bridge. Sooner or later, you will "get over" that phobia :yum:

I have a fear of spiders wearing raincoats! :eek: - anoraknophobia I think it's called :whistle:

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one :blush:

I'm quite luck really, in that I have no phobias (although one or two things may unsettle me a bit), so I can't imagine what it must be like to have to face a real phobia :)

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:18 PM
For some odd reason, I decided to walk into work today. Took a wrong turn and was faced with a bridge.........now these are not normally a problem to me, but this particular one had wires at the side and gave the impression that it was 'open sided'. :tears:

I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides! I stopped in absolute horror and turned round to face about ten people coming towards me. The expression on my face must have been really funny as one man stopped and asked if I was OK! I told him that I have a phobia over 'open sided' bridges and was sorely tempted to ask if I could hold his hand to cross the next bit! :rofl: Rationality restored itself and I managed to get over - walking about six inches behind the poor chap! He must have thought I was barmy!!

Anyone else have a phobia spring up on them like that?

I have also been up the Eiffel Tower and very nearly ended up in tears, as I found it nearly impossible to walk 'the plank' into the lift to get down! Now I understand why the Pope kisses the ground when he gets off a plane - he must be terrified, poor man! :rofl:

Elaine

yeahy a fellow bridge phobic! But then i am afraid of everything! The first time i ever crossed the Erskine Bridge in glasgow i was a passenger in a car. i had to get out at the other side. i then proceeded to collaspse and throw up all over myself! I hate anything to do with heights including flying which i have to do on a regular bases! I feel ill every time! :sick:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:19 PM
Awww Elaine! :flower:

My advice would be to keep going to that same bridge. Sooner or later, you will "get over" that phobia :yum:

I have a fear of spiders wearing raincoats! :eek: - anoraknophobia I think it's called :whistle:

:)

ha ha sorry but i actually think that was very funny! Even though i am afraid of spiders! :rofl: :worthy: :clap: :cheers:

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 01:22 PM
I have a phobia of monkeys. They make my hair stand on end. Last time I went to Scotland. Someone had a little toy one on his back :tears: Terrified me! Made me very uneasy all night.... or was that just C.J. :wink:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:26 PM
I have a phobia of monkeys. They make my hair stand on end. Last time I went to Scotland. Someone had a little toy one on his back :tears: Terrified me! Made me very uneasy all night.... or was that just C.J. :wink:

Big hug :hug:

i just noticed you have dori swimming across your avatar. Wow how cool! But just one question how are you going to pull that one off for the competition! :flower:

baldrick
15th-September-2004, 01:27 PM
I've never been good with phones. :( I don't like phoning people, even friends. However I do like chatting to people, esp. if they phone me :clap: , got over worrying about answering it. It takes some time to gather the courage to pick up and dial. As for phoning strangers?:sick: Its getting better, part of my job is manning the tech support line, taking calls and phoning people back. I was disscussing this with friends and a ex-collegue from years ago was listening. "Wondered why you always passed over the phone calls. Thought you were just a lasy B******". Wonder if I'll ever grow out of it.

Chicklet
15th-September-2004, 01:29 PM
I get really scared around the superfluous apostrophe. :devil:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 01:30 PM
I've never been good with phones. :( I don't like phoning people, even friends. However I do like chatting to people, esp. if they phone me :clap: , got over worrying about answering it. It takes some time to gather the courage to pick up and dial. As for phoning strangers?:sick: Its getting better, part of my job is manning the tech support line, taking calls and phoning people back. I was disscussing this with friends and a ex-collegue from years ago was listening. "Wondered why you always passed over the phone calls. Thought you were just a lasy B******". Wonder if I'll ever grow out of it.

Which art the lazy b@$*@£" bit or the phobia bit?

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 01:31 PM
I also have a phobia of kilt pins, and things that can get caught in them.... :whistle:

ElaineB
15th-September-2004, 01:37 PM
yeahy a fellow bridge phobic! But then i am afraid of everything! The first time i ever crossed the Erskine Bridge in glasgow i was a passenger in a car. i had to get out at the other side. i then proceeded to collaspse and throw up all over myself! I hate anything to do with heights including flying which i have to do on a regular bases! I feel ill every time! :sick:

You would have hated to be with me a couple of years ago then, when I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol. They had stopped the cars to allow pedestrians to cross - the only trouble was that there were thousands and the bridge swayed from side to side! I ran! Thankfully this year they closed it completely!!

Nothing wrong with kilt pins Pammy - just get the guy you are dancing with to put you into as many drops as possible :rofl:

Elaine

ElaineB
15th-September-2004, 01:59 PM

Dunno - is that a phobia or a lack of confidence? I used to hate answering the telephone in my first job, but then I was only 16! Anyway - poor you - hope it gets better!

Just remembered, knew someone who had a phobia of buttons! His Mother told him when he was little, that if he put a button in his mouth it would kill him. What she forgot to explain of course is that he could choke on anything like that! As a consequence, he grew up believing that buttons can kill! He used to do up his shirts etc by not looking at the buttons!

Elaine

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 02:17 PM
You would have hated to be with me a couple of years ago then, when I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol. They had stopped the cars to allow pedestrians to cross - the only trouble was that there were thousands and the bridge swayed from side to side! I ran! Thankfully this year they closed it completely!!

Nothing wrong with kilt pins Pammy - just get the guy you are dancing with to put you into as many drops as possible :rofl:

Elaine

Oh sounds scary. The bridge that is. Although the drops sound fun!

Lory
15th-September-2004, 02:41 PM
Just remembered, knew someone who had a phobia of buttons! His Mother told him when he was little, that if he put a button in his mouth it would kill him. What she forgot to explain of course is that he could choke on anything like that! As a consequence, he grew up believing that buttons can kill! He used to do up his shirts etc by not looking at the buttons!

Elaine
:yeah: one of my friends husbands has that! Weird or what! :what:

I don't like belly buttons! Especially those deep cavernous ones! :sick:

And rough wood! :sick: :tears:

drathzel
15th-September-2004, 02:52 PM
:yeah: one of my friends husbands has that! Weird or what! :what:

I don't like belly buttons! Especially those deep cavernous ones! :sick:

And rough wood! :sick: :tears:

belly buttons are yucky!!! but imaging how your tummy would look if you didn't have one. And where would you get pierced if your belly buttons not there! Not that i have mine done. Some men do find it very attractive!

Pammy
15th-September-2004, 03:40 PM
belly buttons are yucky!!! but imaging how your tummy would look if you didn't have one. And where would you get pierced if your belly buttons not there! Not that i have mine done. Some men do find it very attractive!

Some men have a thing about piercings, it's true... eh C.J. :wink:

Lynn
15th-September-2004, 06:12 PM
...I plucked up courage and walked across, talking to myself (!) on the way over in attempt to reassure myself! Nearly at the end, I realised that I had to cross another bridge - this time, higher and more narrow, with even less than the first one had for sides! If you are ever over in N Ireland - give Carrick-a-rede rope bridge a miss! (Have you ever been over it Drathzel?)

I'm not too keen on cockroaches - I would look away if I saw them on TV. But spending a few months at a time in West Africa I sort of had to put up with them! :sad: Also used to be very scared of wasps - if there was one in a room it took up all my attention. I remember one being on a bus once and I thought I would have to miss my stop as I didn't want to walk down the bus past it, but I also wanted to be off the bus asap! Much better now, if they are near me I might move away, esp if outdoors, but otherwise I more or less ignore them.

Dance Demon
15th-September-2004, 06:44 PM
If you are ever over in N Ireland - give Carrick-a-rede rope bridge a miss! (Have you ever been over it Drathzel?)

i was at my nephews wedding a year past May, in Portrush. They were meant to get their wedding photos taken on the Giants Causeway but it was pouring rain unfortunately...:sad: ..........anyway we went to the carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. I'm not scared of bridges,..normally.. but crossing this was well scary :eek: :eek:

philsmove
15th-September-2004, 06:50 PM
I had to cross the Clifton Suspension Bridge after the balloon festival in Bristol.

Elaine

the swaying was a big problem at last year's Balloon fester so this year they closed the brige during the ballon fester

may be we neeed to take over the brige in a balloon to see if that any better

Dreadful Scathe
15th-September-2004, 06:54 PM
no that was Michael from Glasgow :)

Isnt boomer a monkey :eek:

Lynn
15th-September-2004, 09:43 PM
They were meant to get their wedding photos taken on the Giants Causeway but it was pouring rain unfortunately...:sad: No! :really: Raining? In Northern Ireland? Actually I think it rained every single day that May. Yeuch!

Ninka
15th-September-2004, 10:00 PM
I'm not good with heights. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I was climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge!! I was absolutely petrified and the climb took 3 hours. :eek:
Fortunately my sister was with me and talked me through it calmly for the whole time. :flower:
The fact that they had mesh walkways up onto the bridge didn't help, and the cars below the bridge looked like matchbox ones.
Everyone else was admiring the view, and the only thing I could concentrate on was my breathing :sick:
I'm glad I managed to do it, but NEVER, EVER AGAIN!!!!

Dance Demon
15th-September-2004, 11:48 PM
I get really scared around the superfluous apostrophe. :devil:

Ooooooohhhh................Miooooowwww.' ' ' ' :wink:

Sparkles
16th-September-2004, 01:08 AM
OK, I know it's wierd, but I have a phobia of churches :blush:
It's wierd how something can make you so terrified... especially when others get such comfort from it. :sick:

under par
16th-September-2004, 08:39 AM
OK, I know it's wierd, but I have a phobia of churches :blush:
It's wierd how something can make you so terrified... especially when others get such comfort from it. :sick:

Sparkles, when you consider the first time you go to a church they try and drown you at the font. :eek:

then in later life you go there in a white dress, :yum: on a day when you spend a fortune, put yourself into permanent debt, and you are given a life sentence! :eek:

No wonder these places scare you! :hug: :yeah:

Gadget
16th-September-2004, 08:41 AM
Also used to be very scared of wasps ~ Much better now, if they are near me I might move away, esp if outdoors, but otherwise I more or less ignore them.
My wife is fobic about wasps. And bees. Actually anything that is small buzzes and could be a stinging insect... Out one day pushing the pram and got buzed by a wasp; scream, flail, run. Pram goes trundle, trundle, thump, crash. Occupant goes "Waaaaa!". No-one hurt, but she now puts the break on before running screaming :rofl:

under par
16th-September-2004, 08:43 AM
My wife ....snip....... got buzed by a wasp; scream, flail, run. Pram goes trundle, trundle, thump, crash. Occupant goes "Waaaaa!". No-one hurt, but she now puts the break on before running screaming :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

drathzel
16th-September-2004, 10:30 AM
If you are ever over in N Ireland - give Carrick-a-rede rope bridge a miss! (Have you ever been over it Drathzel?)

I went on it before the reinforced it with the worlds fattest man who , on purpose, swung it and i nearly fell of, i was only 8 and hence why i have the fear of bridges!

Stuart
16th-September-2004, 08:31 PM
Sparkles, when you consider the first time you go to a church they try and drown you at the font. :eek:

then in later life you go there in a white dress, :yum: on a day when you spend a fortune, put yourself into permanent debt, and you are given a life sentence! :eek:

No wonder these places scare you! :hug: :yeah:

Not to mention that the last time you go in there they are likely to throw earth over you!

I have a problem with heights. I'm ok flying, but peering over the edge of things I find unnerving.

Gojive
16th-September-2004, 08:46 PM
Dear you hear about the agrophobic skinhead?.....he said "Oi you, inside, now!"

:na:

For those with a fear of heights, may I offer you some crumb of comfort. It's not the height that kills you, it's hitting the ground! :D

drathzel
17th-September-2004, 07:45 AM
Dear you hear about the agrophobic skinhead?.....he said "Oi you, inside, now!"

:na:

For those with a fear of heights, may I offer you some crumb of comfort. It's not the height that kills you, it's hitting the ground! :D

Depends how high you get, as your head could exploded (imploded?) with the pressure! :clap:

Gadget
17th-September-2004, 08:50 AM
Depends how high you get, as your head could exploded (imploded?) with the pressure! :clap:
Only if you superglue your mouth, nose and ears closed... I suppose it depends on the rate of decompression, but by that point I think you would have died due to oxygen depravation.

(what a plesant turn of conversation...:innocent: )

drathzel
17th-September-2004, 05:05 PM
Only if you superglue your mouth, nose and ears closed... I suppose it depends on the rate of decompression, but by that point I think you would have died due to oxygen depravation.

(what a plesant turn of conversation...:innocent: )

So its not just the fall that could kill you! And dont worry i have hundreds of fears and you haven't made me anymore frightned or less frightened! :yum:

drathzel
19th-September-2004, 04:17 PM
I'm not good with heights. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I was climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge!! I was absolutely petrified and the climb took 3 hours. :eek:
Fortunately my sister was with me and talked me through it calmly for the whole time. :flower:

Thats really brave. i couldn't have gotten two feet off the ground! I hate heights and i have always known it!

Just out of curiousity, do you think that your fears can stem from those around you! Ie my sister is afraid of spiders, my mum is afraid of heights and flying! And these are the things I am afraid of!

Ninka
19th-September-2004, 04:29 PM
Funnily enough my dad has a fear of heights, but I was never bothered by it until I was 23. It has been a gradual thing over the past couple of years, but I notice it getting worse the older I get. :sad:

drathzel
19th-September-2004, 04:36 PM
Funnily enough my dad has a fear of heights, but I was never bothered by it until I was 23. It has been a gradual thing over the past couple of years, but I notice it getting worse the older I get. :sad:

I hate flying now but when i was a kid i loved it!!!

:hug: