PDA

View Full Version : Camber Nov

william_ceroc
13th-September-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi anyone heading down to Camber?
I havnt booked yet and looking at sharing if anyone fancies going?
Flying down on the 8am flight fri and back on the 14pm flight monday

william_ceroc@hotmail.com

stewart38
29th-October-2004, 01:25 PM
So whos going to camber ?

I here there are a few tickets left but nos should be 1,400 :sick:

Given the delays on the M6 for Southport I wonder what the delays will be like on M25 . Im not sure wether to take the friday off depends if picking up two others. :sick: I have never got to Camber late (after 8pm) and here car parking can be a pain

Positive the journey will be fine it will be clear blue sunny days and probably dark nights and I wont run into any woodlice and will park just out side my room :)

Lounge Lizard
1st-November-2004, 10:16 AM
lots of changes at camber this time with more tango and WCS classes it seems
our drops class may be on the friday night not saturday morning so please get there early or we will miss you and it is Evelyne's first time on stage at camber
Live band - good rocking tonight is a new thing as well - I am dj'inf downstairs when they are playing (just got back from north wales at event which had six live bands.....so have had my live music fix for the next few weeks)
Peter Phillips

stewart38
1st-November-2004, 10:55 AM
Live band - good rocking tonight is a new thing as well - I am dj'inf downstairs when they are playing (just got back from north wales at event which had six live bands.....so have had my live music fix for the next few weeks)
Peter Phillips

Not keen on live bands for Jive but we will see, seems to be increasing use of live bands on the Jive sceen.

Minnie M
1st-November-2004, 01:25 PM
.........Live band - good rocking tonight is a new thing ........

I have booked them for the Winning Post (Twickenham) they are a good Rock 'n' Roll band - not sure how the modern jivers will get on with them (interesting) - the other band is Jive Street - also well know on the circuit as a Rock 'n' Roll band

Jon L
2nd-November-2004, 03:44 AM
lots of changes at camber this time with more tango and WCS classes it seems
our drops class may be on the friday night not saturday morning so please get there early or we will miss you and it is Evelyne's first time on stage at camber
Peter Phillips

I am not at Camber this time, but I will be at Bognor in Jan, but in a subject why are they reducing or degrading the drops and seducers classes.

When I go to Bognor or Camber, a drops class by Mr. Lizard is something I always look forward to. I kind of felt the same way at the rebel yell this year, when they for the second year running did an aerials class which unless you have a fixed partner you can't really do on a social dance floor as with drops and seducers you can if you observe the safety bits. I would have prefered to see drops personally speaking. Then again I have always been a D&S man as opposed to aerials.

Chicklet
2nd-November-2004, 10:59 AM
I know I did this before but I'm having one last wee go, still looking for a ride for my girlfriend (no CJ, not that :grin: ) from Camber to Gatwick direction leaving about lunch time on Sunday...I think I said before to be there for lunch time, which wasn't quite right!!...there's an extra hour or two of wiggle room in there!!!.........and boys, she can wiggle!!!! :what:

Lory
4th-November-2004, 11:33 PM
So whos going to camber ?

Me! :nice:

stewart38
5th-November-2004, 12:00 AM
I know I did this before but I'm having one last wee go, still looking for a ride for my girlfriend (no CJ, not that :grin: ) from Camber to Gatwick direction leaving about lunch time on Sunday...I think I said before to be there for lunch time, which wasn't quite right!!...there's an extra hour or two of wiggle room in there!!!.........and boys, she can wiggle!!!! :what:

If only it was Monday, I seem to be taking half of camber back that way :sad:

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2004, 02:00 AM
Me

and Mrs McGregster :flower:

Dan Hudson
5th-November-2004, 10:19 AM
Me!.... And I am djing two sets in the upstairs room!!

Really looking forward to it now... can't wait to meet poor Mrs McG!! :devil:

Dan :cheers:

SilverFox
5th-November-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm going and am a dance weekender virgin. :innocent:

Would any of you lovely Jive-Meisters be kind enough to give me some 'insider knowledge' to guide me through my coming of age. :)

Lory
5th-November-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm going and am a dance weekender virgin. :innocent:

Would any of you lovely Jive-Meisters be kind enough to give me some 'insider knowledge' to guide me through my coming of age. :)
Well, you might want to take a look at 'my list' (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60408&postcount=79) of minimum pure essentials required, that I made for a previous Camber! :blush: :D

But by far the most important 'must have' for me, is sleeping tablets! Those pesky seagulls have an excruciatingly loud hour, :mad: just about the time we're heading off to bed! (5-30ish) :waycool:

SilverFox
5th-November-2004, 01:33 PM
Well, you might want to take a look at 'my list' (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showpost.php?p=60408&postcount=79) of minimum pure essentials required, that I made for a previous Camber! :blush: :D
Black Bags, Rubber Gloves, Ryvita and Baby Wipes. What kind of weekend have I paid up for??? :eek: :eek:

stewart38
5th-November-2004, 02:38 PM

But by far the most important 'must have' for me, is sleeping tablets! Those pesky seagulls have an excruciatingly loud hour, :mad: just about the time we're heading off to bed! (5-30ish) :waycool:

I had forgotten about those but I dont usually go to bed that early

I also seems one electricity card last the weekend ?

Trousers
5th-November-2004, 03:23 PM
Errrmmm Late as this is

Who's got room for a little one?
I should never have looked at this thread.
Go on someone tempt me, I have the will power of sailor on leave!

Danger Mouse
5th-November-2004, 04:38 PM
I'm Camber bound.

This will be my second time at Camber and my 5th dance weekend this year.

Mugs ................. an essential item to take, the cups supplied just aren’t big enough.

Lory
5th-November-2004, 05:12 PM
I'm Camber bound.

This will be my second time at Camber and my 5th dance weekend this year.

Mugs ................. an essential item to take, the cups supplied just aren’t big enough.
Snap! it's my 5th too! :waycool:

Another tip, the glasses are also silly size, so, 'borrow' one from the venue, for the weekend! :wink: Oh yes, did I mention Ice cube bags? :D

stewart38
5th-November-2004, 05:27 PM
I here Rebel roc are doing a Camber weekend next March :sick:

Is this true ?

spindr
5th-November-2004, 05:57 PM

Is this true ?

Hmmm, it's a long-shot : http://www.rebelroc.com and http://www.rebelroc.com/camber.html

BOOKINGS NOW BEING TAKEN! THE ONE YOU'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!

Rebel Roc Dance Weekend at Pontins, Camber Sands, Rye
4-7th March 2005

Prices from just £84 per person to include accommodation and all workshops/evening dances
BOOK WITH CONFIDENCE!

Initial deposit just £15 - full refund 40 days prior to the event - credit card booking available

OUTSTANDING QUALITY • EXCEPTIONAL VALUE • WORLD-CLASS TEACHING •

SpinDr

Minnie M
5th-November-2004, 07:08 PM
Rebel Roc Dance Weekend at Pontins, Camber Sands, Rye

same weekend at the Blackpool competition :tears:

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2004, 07:13 PM
same weekend as the Blackpool competition :tears:
:tears:

I suppose there's bound to be a clash whatever weekend you choose. But clashing with the UK's biggest Modern Jive event is very brave. All of Katie Baxters events are exceptionally well organised and well attended so I expect it will be a great success :clap:

jivecat
5th-November-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm going. And thanks for the wonderful list. Lory.
Now it's winter, maybe the seagulls will stay asleep until it gets light?

stewart38
6th-November-2004, 01:37 AM
A few years ago you couldnt get into camber unless you sold your body and I tried

Be interestng to see what nos are like for rebel roc looks good.

Pontins must be happy

Minnie M
6th-November-2004, 11:26 AM
.........Pontins must be happy

On the contrary - Pontins don't like the Modern Jive Scene so much as we are not generally drinkers :eek: (certainly not BIG drinkers)

On the other hand, I am going to Rhythm Riot at Camber (same place) at the end of the November (same time at Rock Bottom) - that is a Rock 'n' Roll /R & B weekend and they do drink at this one, takes ages and ages to get a drink and the bar is full ALL night - it finishes at 5am in the top hall. Strangly there are more dancers on the floor at 5am than Franco's one that is why they close the downstairs and bring the dancers up

Lynn
6th-November-2004, 12:35 PM
Mugs ................. an essential item to take, the cups supplied just aren’t big enough. :yeah: They never are, I always pack one going anywhere self catering. (I even have a plastic mug to pack if flying).

I'm not going to Camber this time - but maybe next year. Everyone have a fabby time!

Chickadee
7th-November-2004, 11:59 AM
Me! :nice:

Me too! Looking forward to another hilarious weekend with you Lory! This time, leave the camera at home ok?! :rofl:

Lynn
7th-November-2004, 02:51 PM
Me too! Looking forward to another hilarious weekend with you Lory! This time, leave the camera at home ok?! :rofl: Don't! Looking forward to seeing your pics Lory (well, the ones that are fit to be put on the forum... :wink: )

Zebra Woman
7th-November-2004, 04:22 PM
Don't! Looking forward to seeing your pics Lory (well, the ones that are fit to be put on the forum... :wink: )

You can show me the unfit ones :wink: ...now I've got over 'that photo'.

Miss Conduct and I are looking forward to Camber so much. :cheers:
I will be using Lory's list. May skip the footspa though...Gotta make room for the scizzors and the CARBOARD BOX

See you all there

ZW :flower:

PS. I will be stripey

thewacko
8th-November-2004, 09:58 AM
ANYONE STILL LOOKING FOR A PLACE
I still have 1 place left, can be either male or female, if you want to share wiv us please send me a personal message and we will see what we can do

Cheers Phil J :clap:

Trousers
8th-November-2004, 10:04 AM
PS. I will be stripey

Oh really? I'm shocked!

(Yes this was a tame reply - my first attemt contained expletives and the name of a fictional detective)

I'm about to book with Franco. So I'll be there too now.

I may be stripey TOO! (well some of the time)

Zebra Woman
8th-November-2004, 10:53 AM
Oh really? I'm shocked!

(Yes this was a tame reply - my first attemt contained expletives and the name of a fictional detective)

I'm about to book with Franco. So I'll be there too now.

I may be stripey TOO! (well some of the time)
Great I could do with some camouflage ....(well some of the time)

I have no idea what your first attempt was about :confused: , you can tell me at the w/e :wink:

Alison :flower:

jivecat
8th-November-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm going to start looking forward to it when I've done the packing (just about to print off Lory's list) and got past the M25.

Not stripey, more flowery.

william_ceroc
8th-November-2004, 12:31 PM
If anyone is looking for a ticket for Camber contact Swindon Ceroc but be quick

7th Nov

Know they have one extra as of 11am this morning 7th Nov

Trish
8th-November-2004, 02:16 PM
I'll be going and am really looking forward to it!

Lory, your list is excellent - I'd have forgotten half of that and wouldn't have been able to do any washing up! I'd only thought about clothes, foot spa and blister plasters after last time!

Is there any sort of Forum gathering planned at Camber? I'd love to meet up with you all, but wouldn't have a clue what you looked like!

Trish

thewacko
8th-November-2004, 04:03 PM
Is there any sort of Forum gathering planned at Camber? I'd love to meet up with you all, but wouldn't have a clue what you looked like!

Trish
Well don't go by my aviator, as I wont be dressed like that at camber.

good idea though, maybe all forum members should wear a badge with their forum name on so we can all recognise each other :confused:

Andy McGregor
8th-November-2004, 05:07 PM
good idea though, maybe all forum members should wear a badge with their forum name on so we can all recognise each other :confused:

It strikes me that it's time to resurrect the Forum Blimp. Last November we had a nice Nemo balloon which was attached to an A4 notebook and placed on a table at Camber. This balloon bobbing above the crowds became a rallying point for Forumites to meet and write up their experiences. We met loads of forumites and Pammy typed up the whole thread and posted it on here when she got home.

Pammy and I did it last time. Any volunteers to be procurer and guardian of the blimp? And you will need to find a fast typist to type up the notes afterwards.

Dan Hudson
9th-November-2004, 11:38 AM
I will be djing the last set in the upstairs room on Friday night :waycool: ... make sure you save some energy..... :rofl:

Some wicked choons to play out... can't wait... it does mean I will have the rest of the noght to dance too!! :clap: :clap:

Zebra Woman
9th-November-2004, 11:54 AM
I will be djing the last set in the upstairs room on Friday night :waycool: ... make sure you save some energy..... :rofl:

Some wicked choons to play out... can't wait... it does mean I will have the rest of the noght to dance too!! :clap: :clap:
Excellent news Dan :clap: ...better make sure you save some energy too then :whistle:

Is there a DJ schedule for Camber that we can all look at? I like to know in advance so I can plan my route and avoid any extra trips up and down those stairs..... :blush:

Save me a dance

Dan Hudson
9th-November-2004, 11:56 AM
Is there a DJ schedule for Camber that we can all look at? I like to know in advance so I can plan my route and avoid any extra trips up and down those stairs..... :blush:

Save me a dance

There isn't but it will be available when you arrive.... And of course I will save you a dance... or 5 :clap:

Trish
10th-November-2004, 01:08 PM
It strikes me that it's time to resurrect the Forum Blimp. Last November we had a nice Nemo balloon which was attached to an A4 notebook and placed on a table at Camber. This balloon bobbing above the crowds became a rallying point for Forumites to meet and write up their experiences. We met loads of forumites and Pammy typed up the whole thread and posted it on here when she got home.

Pammy and I did it last time. Any volunteers to be procurer and guardian of the blimp? And you will need to find a fast typist to type up the notes afterwards.

Sounds like an excellent idea! I don't want to be sitting with a balloon all night when I could be dancing (does the blimp really need guarding?), but if I can find you and you pass it all on to me I'm quite happy to type it all up later (and yes I'm a fairly fast typist!) It would be lovely to meet some of these people I've been chatting to for the last few months! I can't be relied upon to procure a balloon etc, as I have a dreadful memory and will probably forget, but if your memory is any better and you buy one I'll give you the money for it so your not out of pocket - it's not fair if you paid out for it last time.

Lory
10th-November-2004, 01:42 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea!
Well if nothing else happens, we'll probably be plonking our bags down next to the stage, to the right, near the bar, on the Friday night, if anyone wants to meet up? :cheers:

If anyone wants to arrange to go for Sunday lunch, PM me, I know a nice pub in Rye, where we'll definitly get a very warm welcome, as one of our very own forumites boyfriend owns it! :wink:

Andy McGregor
10th-November-2004, 01:43 PM
Sounds like an excellent idea! I don't want to be sitting with a balloon all night when I could be dancing (does the blimp really need guarding?), but if I can find you and you pass it all on to me I'm quite happy to type it all up later (and yes I'm a fairly fast typist!) It would be lovely to meet some of these people I've been chatting to for the last few months! I can't be relied upon to procure a balloon etc, as I have a dreadful memory and will probably forget, but if your memory is any better and you buy one I'll give you the money for it so your not out of pocket - it's not fair if you paid out for it last time.

All the Blimp bearer needs to do is bring it to the venue, put it on a table attached to and flying from it's note-book and then take it back to their chalet at the end of the night. I'm not really the right person to do it as I'm not getting there 'til Saturday morning. Anyone else fancy buying a large ballon and a notebook and doing it. Just announce it on here and the rest will happen by magic. Trish will type it up.

Lory
10th-November-2004, 01:50 PM
If anyone wants to arrange to go for Sunday lunch, PM me, I know a nice pub in Rye, where we'll definitly get a very warm welcome, as one of our very own forumites boyfriend owns it! :wink:
Just to add, if there were a few of us, I think I'd need to let her know numbers on Friday! :)

Lounge Lizard
10th-November-2004, 07:06 PM
Err I will be DJ'ing Sunday lunchtime - 'new choons with peter & friends' (basicly it is me and Dan)
So we WILL be taking a register and anyone missing [Lory] will be spanked by Mr. Hudson...............so I expct you will go to the pub then :wink:,,,,,wonder if Andy will join you :devil:

As I am DJ'ing both lunchtimes why not have the forum meeting between 1 & 2 sat or sunday
peter

Lory
10th-November-2004, 07:59 PM
Err I will be DJ'ing Sunday lunchtime - 'new choons with peter & friends' (basicly it is me and Dan)
So we WILL be taking a register and anyone missing [Lory] will be spanked by Mr. Hudson...............so I expct you will go to the pub then :wink:,,,,,wonder if Andy will join you :devil:

Now I'm in a real dillema :rolleyes: Sunday lunch AND a spanking from Mr Hudson :yum: OR listening and dancing to what I KNOW will be some really cool stuff, from a couple of my favourite Dj's :confused: :rofl:

Peter, what time's your set finishing?

Lounge Lizard
10th-November-2004, 10:07 PM
Now I'm in a real dillema :rolleyes: Sunday lunch AND a spanking from Mr Hudson :yum: OR listening and dancing to what I KNOW will be some really cool stuff, from a couple of my favourite Dj's :confused: :rofl:

Peter, what time's your set finishing?1 till 2

stewart38
11th-November-2004, 01:14 AM
Silly question but I usually turn up at 9pm

This time likely to be there by 3pm

Do loads all arrive together ?, assume parking is easier ?

Basically is it worth getting there at 3pm or wait for queues to reduce and get there at 6pm and spend time in Rye ?

Lounge Lizard
11th-November-2004, 09:37 AM
well if this helps here is the friday night time table - for some reason it is meant to be a secret, but as my drops and seducer class has moved to friday (after 5 years of 11am satutday) cant see any reason not to inform the dancers who regurarly attend so they can arrive in time for my friday class
18.00-19.00 Body & Feet Styling. Alina
19.00-20.00 Drops and Seducers. Peter & Evelyne
20.00-21.00 TagJive (how to share a lady). John, KJ and Roger
21.00-22.30 Mainly modern music. Gary Marsden
22.30-00.00 Mainly modern music. Roger Chin
00.00-01.30 Mainly modern music. Colin Shaul
01.30-02.45 Mainly modern music. Peter Philips
02.45-04.00 Mainly modern music. Dan Hudson
So get there at 3 is my advice
peter
ps on the timetable it states beginners class - ignore this cos as anyone who has seen my classes will know I always teach a mixed class with a beginners and intermediate option for each move, to suit all levels of dancers (and I am bossy enough to make it work in a large class)

Andy McGregor
11th-November-2004, 10:01 AM
18.00-19.00 Body & Feet Styling. Alina

It's a good thing that I'm already blessed with the same body as Alina as I can't make it on Friday night :tears: :devil:

Camber has attracted all the best DJs - so I've been asked to stand in for one of them at Hove on Friday night. Hopefully I should get to Camber in time for Dan Hudson's set :clap:

Peter
11th-November-2004, 11:28 AM
ANYONE STILL LOOKING FOR A PLACE???

Ceroc Windsor had 2 (of its 16) places left last night. Either male or female. If you are interested, PM me and I will put you in touch with Collette, who has all the details.

[PS Last night, numbers were down a little on last week's 264]

Northants Girly
11th-November-2004, 12:33 PM
I'd love to meet up with you all, but wouldn't have a clue what you looked like!I met some of the forum folk at Southport for the first time but I didn't bump into them till the last night!
This is a recent pic of me but is abit blurry - sorry!
Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the weekend :cheers:

Linda x

Northants Girly
11th-November-2004, 01:14 PM
well if this helps here is the friday night time table - for some reason it is meant to be a secretWhy is the timetable at Camber kept a secret? :sad: This wasn't the case at Southport. It would be really useful to have the timetable beforehand then you could plan your weekend better :waycool:

Bigger Andy
11th-November-2004, 02:09 PM
Why is the timetable at Camber kept a secret? :sad: This wasn't the case at Southport. It would be really useful to have the timetable beforehand then you could plan your weekend better :waycool:

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

well if this helps here is the friday night time table - for some reason it is meant to be a secret, but as my drops and seducer class has moved to friday (after 5 years of 11am satutday) cant see any reason not to inform the dancers who regurarly attend so they can arrive in time for my friday class
peter

I'll be there, Peter !
:worthy:

Andy McGregor
11th-November-2004, 02:37 PM
Why is the timetable at Camber kept a secret? :sad: This wasn't the case at Southport. It would be really useful to have the timetable beforehand then you could plan your weekend better :waycool:

This is exactly what Sue (Mrs McGregster) told me. Although she said it in a way that made me feel I was personally to blame for not knowing the weekend timetable - even though I've got nothing to do with the organisation of Camber and have actually paid to go like every other punter. So, I am obviously to blame for this oversight, sorry :flower:

Trish
11th-November-2004, 03:09 PM
I met some of the forum folk at Southport for the first time but I didn't bump into them till the last night!
This is a recent pic of me but is abit blurry - sorry!
Looking forward to seeing everyone again at the weekend :cheers:

Linda x

Thanks Linda, I'll look out for you! Like the top by the way!

Jon L
11th-November-2004, 07:51 PM
enjoy camber guys - sorry I am not around. :sad: back in Bognor

Jon L
12th-November-2004, 12:53 AM
On the contrary - Pontins don't like the Modern Jive Scene so much as we are not generally drinkers :eek: (certainly not BIG drinkers)

At Bognor in 2003, one of the security guards at Butlins told a friend of mine that our jive weekend was their favourite of the year because they didn't have to worry about us smashing up the place or getting roudy. Plus also we use it out of season so it's easy for them.

Minnie M
12th-November-2004, 01:16 AM
At Bognor in 2003, one of the security guards at Butlins told a friend of mine that our jive weekend was their favourite of the year because they didn't have to worry about us smashing up the place or getting roudy..........

True the employees might like us BUT Pontins/Butlins don't as they don't make money out of us

BTW most of the dance weekenders are 'out of season'

stewart38
12th-November-2004, 02:38 AM
True the employees might like us BUT Pontins/Butlins don't as they don't make money out of us

Im sure they make money :sick:

Lounge Lizard
12th-November-2004, 09:21 AM
Im sure they make money :sick:
as a guide the rave weekend before one of our jive events at camber took over £80,000 over the bar, I have even build an extra bar area for the rave weekends (over steped seating at top of main dance floor), I would imagine the bar takings for a jive weekend are nearer £8k than £80k

Pontins make money on us being there, but we are not big spenders in the restaurant or bars, hence Minnies comment that they do not make much out of us

One of the cleaners told me she got bored at our weekenders cos there was nothing to do
Peter

Lynn
15th-November-2004, 01:02 PM
So, did everyone have a great time? Any biz, news or interesting pics :wink: What did we miss?

Andy McGregor
15th-November-2004, 03:17 PM
So, did everyone have a great time? Any biz, news or interesting pics :wink: What did we miss?

The Good

- The new portable dance floor was fabulous.
- There was music played to suit all tastes (I say this 'cos some of it didn't suit me!). Nigel, LL and Nelson played brilliant sets in the Blues Room and Dan and John Miller were fab upstairs. I wasn't everywhere all of the time so don't take this to mean I didn't like the music of the people I haven't named - but I didn't like the music some of them played :wink:
- The workshops were mostly good.
- I survived a cheeseburger :what:

Overall the event seemed to run very smoothly and seamlessly. Well done Franco.

The Bad

- The heat or lack of it. Friday was cold, Saturday seemed about right, Sunday upstairs was oppressively hot and humid.
- I'm not sure but there seemed to be a lot of women over in the freestyle.
- Lack of floorcraft. I've never seen it so bad. Many people were dancing in giant circles waving their arms like windmills. Last night I actually spoke to a guy who walked onto the floor backwards, I dodged out of his way and he just walked into the couple behind me. I suggested to him that it would be safer if he walked forwards: he thought this new concept was a good idea but it did seem to take him by surprise. I know Jayne had a few encounters and collared some guy who found her partner and apologised.
- The band, the band, the band. The band were a fabulous Rock & Roll band. We are a bunch of fabulous Modern Jivers. MISMATCH!!! Might as well book a fabulous Salsa band for next year :angry:

The Ugly

That cheeseburger :sick:

David Franklin
15th-November-2004, 03:45 PM
- The band, the band, the band. The band were a fabulous Rock & Roll band. We are a bunch of fabulous Modern Jivers. MISMATCH!!! Might as well book a fabulous Salsa band for next year :angry: But remember these points Andy:
live bands add more atmosphere. [:devil: or at least encourage people to go out for fresh air...]
They are more spontaneous than some prerecorded mix. [:devil: as long as you like spontaneous 6 minute drum solos...]
They play music that inspires dancers. [:devil: if you're into balboa, that is...]
They add "value for money". [:devil: if you don't count all the extra dosh you spent at the bar waiting for them to stop...]
Wasn't at this Camber, but just got the Rebel Roc mailout for their March Camber; the mailout makes a big deal of having live bands. That will probably be enough to stop me going.

Organizers take note: you are LOSING customers by using live bands, not gaining them. [Yes, some like bands, but from my experience, the band-haters outnumber them at least 3:1...]

Dave

Andy McGregor
15th-November-2004, 03:52 PM
Organizers take note: you are LOSING customers by using live bands, not gaining them. [Yes, some like bands, but from my experience, the band-haters outnumber them at least 3:1...]

Dave

I really don't think organisers will lose customers (at least not many) just because they've booked a band: so long as that band play music at the right tempo. R&R is the wrong tempo for MJ - which makes the organiser look like he/she doesn't know his/her punters - and will, as David says, lose customers :tears:

If we must book a band, why don't organisers book bands that play the music we usually dance to - seems quite simple now I've typed it :wink:

David Franklin
15th-November-2004, 04:08 PM
I really don't think organisers will lose customers (at least not many) just because they've booked a band: so long as that band play music at the right tempo. R&R is the wrong tempo for MJ - which makes the organiser look like he/she doesn't know his/her punters - and will, as David says, lose customers :tears:The thing is that in theory a band can play for MJ and do it well - one of our memories is dancing to "Moondance" under a full moon in Hawaii to a band. :waycool: But my experience at MJ events leaves me expecting they will be too loud and too fast. They might not be, but why take the risk? It's not like there aren't enough events without live bands to choose instead...

I know I'm repeating myself, but one thing that always amazes me is that the bands booked for MJ tend to be so much worse to dance to than bands for mainstream events (office parties etc...). Is it that the organizers don't tell them what we want, so they make bad assumptions? I just don't get it...

Dave

Andy McGregor
15th-November-2004, 04:16 PM
I know I'm repeating myself, but one thing that always amazes me is that the bands booked for MJ tend to be so much worse to dance to than bands for mainstream events (office parties etc...). Is it that the organizers don't tell them what we want, so they make bad assumptions? I just don't get it...

Dave

I think this is absolutely right. The best night's MJ to a band I've ever had was at a friend's 25th wedding anniversary. They booked a '70s cover band, every track was disco and fabulous to dance to. In fact, the night was so good two of the women there are now MJ regulars.

Maybe I should book that band for a doo. After finding out they cost £1,500 I thought they might be a bit expensive compared to JB or any other decent MJ DJ - who you'd have to have as well!

How much do these fab R&R bands cost the organisers?

foxylady
15th-November-2004, 11:10 PM
How much do these fab R&R bands cost the organisers?

By jove I think he's got it !

Good bands cost money !

(I wasn't at Camber so can't actually claim to have any idea what I think they might have been paid...)

Chickadee
15th-November-2004, 11:22 PM

Lynn we missed you! :tears:

Had a fantastic time as always, lovely to see everyone again. :hug:
Had some great dances, especially last night in the Blues Room. Feeling completely dazed and confused from serious lack of sleep... :confused:
I'm sure Lory will post a few pics on here but you'll all be pleased to know, there are none of Andy Mcgregor this time! :rofl:

Lynn
15th-November-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm sure Lory will post a few pics on here... Yes, pics Lory please! :flower:

...but you'll all be pleased to know, there are none of Andy Mcgregor this time! :rofl: :really: :what: :rofl: :wink:

Dan Hudson
16th-November-2004, 11:01 AM
Had a superb time at Camber this time round..... some fab dances... :clap:

lots of licking :devil:

Got to meet the wonderful Chickadee, nice trousers BTW :whistle: and that new top :drool:

Lory... you are truly a fabulous person.. thanks for the laughs and for the dances :drool:

Music was excellent this year most of the time... band I thought were unsuitable for MJ and hid in the swing room, where a fab set by LL was on. Also got to spend lots of time dancing with Zebra woman :yum:

What was the deal with the heating, i was frozen on friday and baked alive on sunday.... too drunk to notice on Sat :innocent:

Sheepman played an awesome set on Sunday night.. last minute stand in and hopefully a new face at Camber now.... a wicked, challenging and fun set... thanks :cheers:

Rachel, why oh why did we only get a dance last thing on Sunday?? I really missed out on more dreamy dances :flower:

I enjoyed the djing too..... last thing on friday was quiet, but it was still fun. thanks Peter....lunchtimes were wicked and are really becoming part of the camber experience...

Am so tired and aching now....

see you all at jivemasters final this saturday, :waycool:

Walthamstow Town Hall ..... www.cerocmetro.co.uk for tickets.....

Is that good advertising Adam :rofl:

Andy McGregor
16th-November-2004, 11:12 AM
By jove I think he's got it !

Good bands cost money !

(I wasn't at Camber so can't actually claim to have any idea what I think they might have been paid...)

I've just done the sums in my head. If you have a £1,500 band and 150 dancers they've paid £10 each for the band.

Can I have the maths prize now, Franck?

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 11:35 AM
The Good

- There was music played to suit all tastes (I say this 'cos some of it didn't suit me!). Nigel, LL and Nelson played brilliant sets in the Blues Room and Dan and John Miller were fab upstairs. I wasn't everywhere all of the time so don't take this to mean I didn't like the music of the people I haven't named - but I didn't like the music some of them played :wink:
- I survived a cheeseburger :what:

Overall the event seemed to run very smoothly and seamlessly. Well done Franco.

The Bad

- The heat or lack of it. Friday was cold, Saturday seemed about right, Sunday upstairs was oppressively hot and humid.
- I'm not sure but there seemed to be a lot of women over in the freestyle.
- Lack of floorcraft. I've never seen it so bad. Many people were dancing in giant circles waving their arms like windmills. Last night I actually spoke to a guy who walked onto the floor backwards, I dodged out of his way and he just walked into the couple behind me. I suggested to him that it would be safer if he walked forwards: he thought this new concept was a good idea but it did seem to take him by surprise. I know Jayne had a few encounters and collared some guy who found her partner and apologised.
- The band, the band, the band. The band were a fabulous Rock & Roll band. We are a bunch of fabulous Modern Jivers. MISMATCH!!! Might as well book a fabulous Salsa band for next year :angry:

The Ugly

That cheeseburger :sick:

There seemed to be more experimentation by DJs particularly in the hr of free style in afternoon, which was at dancer’s expense not sure what that was about

Upstairs freezing (ok 40f) and downstairs 90f on many occasions not sure what that was about ?

Seemed to be a lot more women about particularly Saturday night and unfortunately I had to refuse some dances :sad:

It is also sad to see a again some teachers not having any floor sense or any knowledge in managing large groups of people

I feel sorry for the 40 or so extra ladies who turned up for Tango and then had to go as it was fixed partners only and this ability of some teachers to ignore or not see what is going on in class. At least if you started with 40 extra ladies you ended up with 5 as some walked of I guess :sick: Not sure what women thought of this ?

It was overall a great weekend but I thought Southport a bit better (re Water dispensers , screens to see teachers feet, full itinerary etc)

Finally the band were very competent but I don’t think they work, and its fine playing a number of slow tracks but not sure if the crowd is right for that

Lory
16th-November-2004, 12:22 PM
I've just woken up from 14hours solid sleep....bliss! :)

I had a great time at Camber, as alway's sharing with Chickadee is mad fun! I'm so glad we're really close because on friday night, although our challet had 2 bedrooms, (2 single beds in each) our challet was so cold, that we made up the double sofa bed in the lounge and put ALL the duvets on it and slept clinging on to each other for warmth! :really:

I think the venue suffered from the same problem on Friday too, it was FREEZING and no matter how much we danced, it still didn't warm up, so it thinned out at 3ish but in a way, I think it actually did me a favour, as I didn't burn out on the first night and managed to stay up till 6am on both the following nights! :D

I'm so lazy when it comes to the classes but I did do ONE! And I loved it! The solo Jazz, it was great fun, so much so, I'm going to see if I can find a class near me, its like a full on aerobics lesson but by the end if it, you've learnt a whole routine! Brilliant! :cheers:

I can't comment on the band, cos I only heard the first song and promptly retreated downstairs, where LL was doing his 'thang'! :waycool: And funnily enough, most of my favourite dancers were down there too! Yippee! :clap:

For me, weekenders are always about the people and the music and not so much about the venue and again this time, I was lucky enough to spend my time with great bunch, (Dan Hudson, I love you :hug: ) and experience some brilliant music. As always, it's the blues room that really does it for me. Sheepy played so many fabulous tracks I'd never heard before :worthy: , Peter, Dan and Roger's sets were brilliant, :drool: (although, I could have done without the few fast ones right at the end! Ouch :sick: )

Thankyou to everyone who danced with me....you know who you are! :cheers:

I did hear lot's of complaints about there being far to many women over (it didn't seem to effect me) but I can't see what the organiser can do about this anyway, any suggestions? :confused:

Dan Hudson
16th-November-2004, 12:26 PM
[QUOTE=stewart38]There seemed to be more experimentation by DJs particularly in the hr of free style in afternoon, which was at dancer’s expense not sure what that was about

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

that is what is was meant to be..... a new music set to introduce stuff we wouldn't dare play on a packed dance floor.... The listing said.. New Music.. Peter and friends......

Lounge Lizard
16th-November-2004, 12:30 PM
There seemed to be more experimentation by DJs particularly in the hr of free style in afternoon, which was at dancer’s expense not sure what that was about
errr it was billed as new tunes with peter and friends, I started it a year ago as a slot to TRY OUT NEW MUSIC so dancers could vote for what they liked in the new batch of tunes being released without affecting the evening dance
that is why I was wearing the mic, that is why I kept asking what you guys thought of the tracks, that is why unpopular tracks were faded out.

This is the fourth time we have done this, we started with about a dozen dancers in nov 2003 and had a full dance floor this time, as there was 9 hours of non stop dancing each evening we decided the two 1 hour lunchtime slots would be a chance for 'new tracks' and give you the dancer chance to decide if it makes the night time playlist

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 12:56 PM
I did hear lot's of complaints about there being far to many women over (it didn't seem to effect me) but I can't see what the organiser can do about this anyway, any suggestions? :confused:

Dont some weekenders try and ensure its 50/50,althought that cant be easy
ie turning away paying customers.

It was odd the only class I attended where nos about even was strickly sinful ? whys that I wonder ?

Jayne
16th-November-2004, 01:03 PM
The Good
- The new "portable" dance floor was fabulous.
:rofl: My legs are soooo sore today from helping to move that floor yesterday!

It was a fab floor though!

The tango workshop was great. Ricardo & Jenny are great teachers and it's such a shame I now live at the other end of the country from them. :tears: I appreciate that some people didn't like it as it was taught without rotation and there were loads of women over, but the teaching itself was first class.

The Bad
:yeah:

- Lack of floorcraft. I've never seen it so bad.
:yeah: The "floorcraft" on the main floor upstairs was appalling - by dancers of all levels from begginers (sic) to international competitors. The guy I spoke to was barging his way onto the dance floor and walked into my partner virtually square on and then didn't even bother to look back, let alone apologise. To give him credit, once I'd spoken to him he did go off and search for my partner and apologised in person.

Thanks to all those lovely people who danced with me over the weekend. :flower:

J :nice:

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 01:21 PM
that is why I was wearing the mic, that is why I kept asking what you guys thought of the tracks, that is why unpopular tracks were faded out.

Yeah, and the one you said was terrible was the most popular :rofl:

"Stairway to heaven", with a thump thump beat. Absolutely revolting, IMHO, and yet the floor was full.

I don't think you can tell what's good and what isn't by giving people 30 seconds of a track and then asking them if they like it, and then fading it out so quickly after asking the question.... for me at least it takes dancing to the whole thing before I can really know if I like something.

Chris

Lory
16th-November-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm not sure what order they'll come out in but ChrisA's with Zebra woman, Dan Hudson, with ZW, Me and Chickadee, Chickadee and Trousers, ZW, me, Northhants Girly and Chickadee :nice: And the 3 wise Monkeys, :D Dan Hudson, LL and ?

Trish
16th-November-2004, 02:08 PM
The tango workshop was great. Ricardo & Jenny are great teachers and it's such a shame I now live at the other end of the country from them. :tears: I appreciate that some people didn't like it as it was taught without rotation and there were loads of women over, but the teaching itself was first class.

I watched the second tango class from the sidelines being one of the "women over" - I'd have loved to have joined in and it do look like a great class. Afterwards I spoke to Ricardo and Jenny and they said they do usually move women on, but that on the first class there didn't seem to be any spare women. I pointed out to them that they'd all disappeared as it appeared to be a set partners thing, and that perhaps if they'd asked the spare women to stand in a particular place in the first place, they might have found a lot more of them than they thought. It also meant that spare women didn't turn up for the second class, and that West Coast Swing was overrun with them! They were very sorry about this and promised to give more thought to it if they were in a similar situation again. I got the impression they weren't really used to so many people. As they said, Tango isn't really a dance you can do in lines, but perhaps a bit more thought was needed in the organisational side of things. I'm sure there are other ways of moving women on - Anna and Roi they managed it with Foxtrot/Quickstep - although that was taught in a circle with a slightly smaller group.

Had a lovely weekend, most of the classes (with the exception of the really badly run Latino Jive class - shame, good moves) were excellent, and I didn't really have a bad dance all weekend!

It was nice to meet a few of the Forumites, it's a shame I didn't buy a balloon and met a few more! Those that I did met were lovely though! Thanks for the dances Jivecat and Silver Fox, and Zebra Woman, it was lovely chatting to you! Also goot to meet you Lory, even though I didn't really talk to you much, too busy dancing!!!

By the way, the music was all fantastic!!!

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 02:20 PM

"Stairway to heaven", with a thump thump beat. Absolutely revolting, IMHO, and yet the floor was full.

I don't think you can tell what's good and what isn't by giving people 30 seconds of a track and then asking them if they like it, and then fading it out so quickly after asking the question.... for me at least it takes dancing to the whole thing before I can really know if I like something.

Chris

Exactly

jivecat
16th-November-2004, 02:29 PM
Dont some weekenders try and ensure its 50/50,althought that cant be easy
ie turning away paying customers.

Someone gave me a complicated explanation of why it wasn't possible to book equal numbers, something to do with the fact that once the chalet was booked to a lead name you couldn't control the mix of people that occupied it. I think. Whereas other organisations have different accommodation arrangements and therefore can sell ladies' places and gents' places. I think the latter will mainly be getting my money from now on.

[/QUOTE]
It was odd the only class I attended where nos about even was strickly sinful ? whys that I wonder ?[/QUOTE]

It's a complete mystery, isn't it? :confused:

Dan Hudson
16th-November-2004, 02:31 PM
the other wise monkey was Jason Coupland.... played a fab set on Sunday upstairs... :D

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 02:45 PM
I watched the second tango class from the sidelines being one of the "women over" - I'd have loved to have joined in and it do look like a great class. Afterwards I spoke to Ricardo and Jenny and they said they do usually move women on, but that on the first class there didn't seem to be any spare women. I pointed out to them that they'd all disappeared as it appeared to be a set partners thing, and that perhaps if they'd asked the spare women to stand in a particular place in the first place, they might have found a lot more of them than they thought. It also meant that spare women didn't turn up for the second class, and that West Coast Swing was overrun with them! They were very sorry about this and promised to give more thought to it if they were in a similar situation again. I got the impression they weren't really used to so many people. As they said, Tango isn't really a dance you can do in lines, but perhaps a bit more thought was needed in the organisational side of things. I'm sure there are other ways of moving women on - Anna and Roi they managed it with Foxtrot/Quickstep - although that was taught in a circle with a slightly smaller group.

I think the Tango was excellent as well and I thought they were great.Im looking for Tango classes now.

Isn’t it for organiser to deal with or at least try and manage the extra ladies?

I attended many workshops and on 3 I went over to fixed partners with people I hadn't met purely as they asked which I guess doesn't help the situation :sick: Was there more fixed partners this time ?

Nigel and Nina seem to have the right idea of paring of the ladies when the Charleston was being taught

I was at a club recently with 10 extra ladies but the teacher was moving on 8 at a time! or when you have 12 and they move on 6 at a time. How silly is that.
I know it cant be easy if your use to teaching 40 or 50 then it jumps to 400 but must be a system that seems fairer. I think the individual line rotation was a good idea and as teacher said you could jump lines if you wanted which was fine assuming nos remained about even

jivecat
16th-November-2004, 02:47 PM

The lunchtime freestyles were the most enjoyable of the whole weekend for me. I liked the music much more than I'd expected, I was not tired and there seemed to be plenty of able and willing partners. I liked the music on the Saturday, (mainly). Can't remember about Sunday, though it was fun to get the chance to vote.

It is also sad to see a again some teachers not having any floor sense or any knowledge in managing large groups of people

I feel sorry for the 40 or so extra ladies who turned up for Tango and then had to go as it was fixed partners only and this ability of some teachers to ignore or not see what is going on in class. At least if you started with 40 extra ladies you ended up with 5 as some walked of I guess :sick: Not sure what women thought of this ?

Frustrated, annoyed and disappointed.

I'd picked out the tango class as being one of the ones not to miss but gave up, as other women were doing in droves. The best class, IMHO, was Paul's beginner's WCS. It was extremely well-organised, no mean feat considering it was in the Blues room which was really too small for the number of peple who turned up, and there was a huge number of surplus ladies. Paul spent a few minutes sorting this out at the beginning which paid dividends for the rest of the lesson. Luckily, because of the focus on footwork, unpartnered ladies could still do something useful during the times when they weren't being led. The steps were explained and broken down in a way that really made sense, consolidating my limited previous knowledge.
I don't think you can really have good teaching without a proper structure to the lesson and good organisation, though I could see that the tango teachers had some good things to say about their subject and could dance beautifully themselves.

Lynn
16th-November-2004, 02:54 PM
Paul spent a few minutes sorting this out at the beginning which paid dividends for the rest of the lesson. Wasn't at there but I think this is what is needed whatever the size of the class - especially in large classes with uneven numbers. (Though not helped if a lot of people turn up after the class has started). Demonstrating and teaching moves from the stage is not all there is to teaching a class, managing the class in terms of rotation etc is also part of it. A teacher can ask a couple of people to 'assist' by counting the extra ladies etc if its too awkward to do from the stage, but its still the teachers responsibility to make sure either they sort it or arrange someone else to.

Lounge Lizard
16th-November-2004, 03:06 PM

ChrisI only faded three tracks midway through - two we took a vote on (sorry lory) and the dance version of stairway to heaven - I was taken by suprise with that trackI thought (hoped) the dancers would hate it and we had three tracks left to play with little time - I only played it as a joke to proove no song was sacred from the dreaded dance mix - as a die hard Led Zep fan I just had to press that stop button, so sorry to Stewart and Chris if you liked it - BTW the shortest time a track played was 1 min 20 sec's - that was Mc Fly (one of Nelson's).
LL

ChrisA
16th-November-2004, 03:16 PM
I only faded three tracks midway through - two we took a vote on (sorry lory) and the dance version of stairway to heaven - I was taken by suprise with that trackI thought (hoped) the dancers would hate it and we had three tracks left to play with little time - I only played it as a joke to prove no song was sacred from the dreaded dance mix
LL

Well IMHO, the lunchtime sessions should be about stretching people's comfort zones a bit.

And I expect I'll get flamed for this, but if putting on a vile thumpetty-thump "dance" travesty of a fantastic classic track fills the floor, how can you base anything on the voting???

Ah wait a minute, Peter, sorry, mate, I see my mistake. I was thinking more votes meant better...

:devil: :devil: :devil:

Lory
16th-November-2004, 03:34 PM
I only faded three tracks midway through - two we took a vote on (sorry lory) and the dance version of stairway to heaven
Just incase people start thinking MY song was the Stairway to heaven one, IT WASN'T!!!!

and yes Peter, your probably right, my track wasn't suitable for Joe public But in my defence, I did get the thumbs up from lot's of people who's opinion I really value! :waycool:

As the saying goes, there's no pleasing everyone! :sad:

Lounge Lizard
16th-November-2004, 03:45 PM
I was not looking for music to stretch the dancers, but trying tracks that I/we was not sure if they would work - messing up lunchtimes is ok, messing up in the evening dance is bad news.

There was no way I was going to play THAT track all the way through - we already had the tracks lined up to follow it and was running out of time - that track was excempt from the voting cos I used my power of veto.:wink: :

I had five tracks that I now know will work that I would have never played on a normal dance night.
Any dance set that starts with the Birdie song is ok in my books :grin:

Trish
16th-November-2004, 03:51 PM
Isn’t it for organiser to deal with or at least try and manage the extra ladies?

Nigel and Nina seem to have the right idea of paring of the ladies when the Charleston was being taught

I know it cant be easy if your use to teaching 40 or 50 then it jumps to 400 but must be a system that seems fairer. I think the individual line rotation was a good idea and as teacher said you could jump lines if you wanted which was fine assuming nos remained about even

I liked the Charleston class, and lead it - which is good really, as now I can add it to my repertoire back home. I don't know where I got the energy from to do it though! I agree that some ways are better than others, but I guess to some extent it comes down to experience - Nigel and Nina have been teaching huge classes for years after all! From what I gather from the Tango people Franco did give teachers some schemes for moving ladies round etc, but I guess as all the people doing tango were moving round the room all the time it can't have been easy - I feel very sad :sad: (not to mention quite bitter and twisted at the time :mad: ) that I couldn't join in though. The other organisational thing that made no sense to me was why they didn't put Viktor's men's styling class opposite the double trouble - surely that would have made sense?!

Northants Girly
16th-November-2004, 04:03 PM
Im looking for Tango classes nowProbably abit out of your way though: go here (http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/town/pipexdsl/o/aocb41/academia/html/index_uk.htm)

Zebra Woman
16th-November-2004, 04:27 PM
I have nearly recovered (14 hours sleep has helped!).
I had a fab weekend, it was a real laugh...Thanks to everyone who danced with me and amused me in conversation. You know who you are. Dan, Andy Mc G, ChrisA, Andy Martin, Sheepman, Silver Fox, Viktor, Trousers...and anyone else who knows me :waycool:

BAD:

My two favourite classes clashed WCS beginners and Tango! :sad:

Upstairs was too hectic for me I was banged into several times, the band were too fast or ponderously slow IMHO although the sound quality was great.

Our electricity cost £14 for the w/e and that included having a 12hr power cut on Friday night (we didn't realise the meter would eat the cards at quite such a rate). Our smug plan to return to our lovely electic blankets and hot drinks at 5AM was foiled.

GOOD

Free water, that was good. Non Smoking that was GREAT.

On Saturday I spent the entire evening in the blues room, watching Paul Warden and Adrian and Loiuse dance was amazing. I enjoyed LL's set so much so I missed the cabaret :blush: Liked Nigel and Nelson's sets too. The highlight was Sheepman on Sunday, that was my favourite. :worthy:

I loved the Tango lessons, but I did have Silver Fox. I felt sorry for all the women who missed out there.

Paul Warden's WCS class was inspirational, he was a brilliant teacher and the music was good too.

I liked the lunchtime experimentation, wish it had lasted longer. I liked the Gotan project track straight after the tango lesson, lots of people liked that because we could carry on Tangoing. I liked Lory's track too.

ZW :hug:

stewart38
16th-November-2004, 04:40 PM
Our electricity cost £14 for the w/e and that included having a 12hr power cut on Friday night (we didn't realise the meter would eat the cards at quite such a rate).

ZW :hug:

I thought they had changed the speed or something ? I got through £12 its usually only £3 or £4 but thats May not been in November before

I had heating on nearly all the time so maybe that was it. Had to put the cooker rings on as well to warm the place up. Whats it like when it gets really cold :what:

jivecat
17th-November-2004, 11:26 AM
I got through £12

Bl**dy Hell! I think we only put £4 in. But then, we did shiver most of the time. I don't think those pathetic little heaters would make a room feel warm no matter how long they were on for. We jostled for turns to press ourselves against it, freezing on one side, scorch marks on the other.

Bigger Andy
17th-November-2004, 02:21 PM
I don't think those pathetic little heaters would make a room feel warm no matter how long they were on for. We jostled for turns to press ourselves against it, freezing on one side, scorch marks on the other.

Lounge Lizard
17th-November-2004, 02:26 PM
it is cheaper to book the top accomodation with free electric in Nov than the low cost rooms that eat electricity
mind you I was in a top 7 and we still had a slug trail on the carpetr the next day.............the previous week I was at Blitz (Ribby) weekend with accomodation that included en-suite bathrooms, central heating, spa bath, washing machine & dishwasher, two comfy sofa's, big bedrooms......basicly it was a fully equiped house, so going from that to Camber was a culture shock (Oh and the weekend before that I was at a dance weekend in a north wales castle- accomodation there was travell lodge equilivent) :D

Gojive
17th-November-2004, 10:27 PM
I was in a top 7 and we still had a slug trail on the carpetr the next day.............

Yukk! - that's why I'd never bring a legless woman back to my chalet!! :wink:

ChrisA
17th-November-2004, 10:33 PM
Yukk! - that's why I'd never bring a legless woman back to my chalet!! :wink:
Usually I find that the oldest jokes are the best.

This is the exception to the rule. :tears:

jockey
18th-November-2004, 02:06 AM

Is this true ?
It is true. I can reveal that Katie has a DWAS comp planned as one of the attractions plus live bands (Franco nipped in there, Katie); question (oh so provocative...):is the DWAS a precurser to another southern-based open dance championship? (Hope So.) Don't underestimate this lady!

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2004, 09:48 AM
It is true. I can reveal that Katie has a DWAS comp planned as one of the attractions plus live bands (Franco nipped in there, Katie);

Franco had a live band at Bognor in January - before Katie announced she was doing her weekend. Or was it a live singer or both :confused: .. it's all going very dark...

IMHO the addition of a band is a backward step - and one that's difficult to step forward from. If Franco doesn't have a band at Camber next time some of the whingers will say he's cut the band to make more profit - I would say he's listened to his customers.

question (oh so provocative...):is the DWAS a precurser to another southern-based open dance championship? (Hope So.) Don't underestimate this lady!

I think it's right that Katie should never be underestimated, she's a fabulous business woman and give her customers what they want :clap:

But, I think the DWAS at Camber is there because it's a good thing for Camber. If Katie organises a competition she will do it because it's a good business decision, not because the DWAS at her Camber went well. But, let's hope she does it.

Minnie M
18th-November-2004, 09:59 AM
............If Katie organises a competition she will do it because it's a good business decision, not because the DWAS at her Camber went well. But, let's hope she does it.

Real shame that all the serious competition entrants will be in Blackpool :tears: BUT on the other hand, maybe that is why she has done it :whistle:

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2004, 10:41 AM
Real shame that all the serious competition entrants will be in Blackpool :tears: BUT on the other hand, maybe that is why she has done it :whistle:

Well spotted Minnie, have some rep :clap:

Lounge Lizard
18th-November-2004, 11:37 AM
Real shame that all the serious competition entrants will be in Blackpool :tears: BUT on the other hand, maybe that is why she has done it :whistle:This was the only weekend date available so Katy booked it (so I understand)

I think her aim was not to 'copy' any existing format, so her weekend had something different (ok so the booking form is the same layout)

Franco tried a competition at Camber in May 1999 an a new moves format, He does new tunes, and yes he had a live singer.
So finding brand new ideas is not easy but I am sure Katy will have something up her sleeve

The the DWAS is a fun thing run by many organisers without ulteria motives, we already have BritRoc on the south coast.
LL

Andy McGregor
18th-November-2004, 11:44 AM
we already have BritRoc on the south coast.
LL

But it is the only competition in the South East that publishes it's judging method and has independent scrutiny of judges. The Ceroc champs seems to treat it's competitors like 3rd rate employees by comparison.

.. and before anyone says "if you don't like it organise your own competition", I did, I organised the first Britroc and the formula is still the same :clap:

And, if Ceroc don't get their act together on their competition I will be organising another competition, it will be in London on the first Sunday in May :angry:

Northants Girly
18th-November-2004, 04:02 PM
I had a great weekend at Camber but I do have a few moans :sad:

I found the floor upstairs to be very slippy, especially on Friday and Saturday.
I found the band far too loud and while they were playing spent most of my time travelling inbetween upstairs and downstairs in an attempt to find some music I fancied dancing to. Am I getting old or does anyone else have problems with those stairs towards the end of the night? :sick:

It was also very, very busy on the dance floor upstairs on Saturday and I managed to get my ankle stamped on which hurt like hell, put me out of dancing action for a while and made me quite grumpy for the rest of the night! :tears:

One thing I did love about Camber was the music though. I heard so many tracks that I have never heard before and it was refreshing to dance to something different than the same old tracks that are often dished out at ones local venue. :grin:

It was also great to see the forum members that I'd met for the first time at Southport. But one thing I love about going away on weekenders is dancing with people that you have never met before. It is like being given your favourite box of chocolates that has no chocy description card - so when you ask guys to dance you have no idea what you are going to get - its both a little daunting but quite exiting at the same time! :drool:

On Saturday night (this is really one for the "Confessions" thread or even the "being refused a dance thread") while the band were having their break I thought I'd find myself a dance. I came across a kinda presentable looking guy :whistle: on the edge of the dance floor and asked him if he would like a dance. "Sorry - I don't dance" he said to me. (my head started to go round with questions like "why are you on a dance weekend then mate?")
. . . . and then the guy carried on to say this "I'm in the band!" . . . . I think he was the double-bass player :blush:

stewart38
18th-November-2004, 05:05 PM

Well for the 10,000 cerocers who wont be maybe it will give them a chance and is an excellent idea

I thought DWAS is largely 'pot luck' any way.

Thats the whole point of it isnt it . So a mug like me can get 2nd place if I have a great partner or 20th if I dont.

Serious competitors should keep away :sad:

Lee
25th-August-2005, 12:33 PM
So.....whoes going to Camber 2005???

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lee

JoC
25th-August-2005, 01:11 PM
So.....whoes going to Camber 2005???You got a link for that Lee? November sounds like a month that needs a jolly somewhere...

Lee
25th-August-2005, 01:12 PM
http://www.jivetime.co.uk/page6.html

it doesn't say much, just a site to book through.

Lee

robd
25th-August-2005, 01:13 PM
So.....whoes going to Camber 2005???

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lee

Yes!

Couldn't make Southport so going to Camber instead. Hope weather not too grim as have heard not so good things about chalet temperatures in November!

JoC
25th-August-2005, 01:35 PM
Hope weather not too grim as have heard not so good things about chalet temperatures in November!So it's bring a hottie is it?

Gill (Norwich)
25th-August-2005, 01:42 PM
Two of us Girlies are going from Norwich, we will be sending our booking off this weekend. Anyone want to share with us?

Chef
25th-August-2005, 01:51 PM
So it's bring a hottie is it?

Camber in November can get pretty cold (Kent at the moment will not really knock your sock off either) so hotties are surely on the packing list. It is also well worth bringing your own duvet (the ones supplied are really only up to summer use) and pillow. You will also get through about £7 in electricity during the weekend as it is a real mistake to turn the heating off at any time because the rooms cool down so fast.

Commis Chef and I will will see you all there. Our booking forms went off yesterday.

Missy D
25th-August-2005, 02:51 PM
I really want to go but, not alone. Sis has too many kids so cant come. Anyone want to either share with me or babysit sis kids just let me know,

dee
25th-August-2005, 03:35 PM
I really want to go but, not alone. Sis has too many kids so cant come. Anyone want to either share with me or babysit sis kids just let me know,

I dont have too many sure we can sort it out. :grin:

TiggsTours
28th-August-2005, 01:28 PM
Camber in November can get pretty cold (Kent at the moment will not really knock your sock off either) so hotties are surely on the packing list. It is also well worth bringing your own duvet (the ones supplied are really only up to summer use) and pillow. You will also get through about £7 in electricity during the weekend as it is a real mistake to turn the heating off at any time because the rooms cool down so fast.

Commis Chef and I will will see you all there. Our booking forms went off yesterday.
Absolutely, I shared with a girl who has really bad asthma one year, and some of our "friends" thought it would be really "funny" to remove the fuse from our heater. It got so cold that night that she ended up in hospital with a major asthma attack! Whatever you do, don't switch the heating off!

Andy McGregor
28th-August-2005, 01:45 PM
There's heating in the Chalets at Camber? :confused:

My advice is to take 2 duvets. The matresses are so lumpy you need a duvet to lie on an another to sleep under. The good news is that you won't be sleeping much :clap:

dee
28th-August-2005, 06:48 PM
There's heating in the Chalets at Camber? :confused:

My advice is to take 2 duvets. The matresses are so lumpy you need a duvet to lie on an another to sleep under. The good news is that you won't be sleeping much :clap:

Is there heating???

Good advice about the duvets, best place to sleep is on the sofa in the front room thats if you do get time to sleep :clap:

One year, in may, sis and i had ants in our chalet, it was so bad they were in the beds, and even managed to get into my smalls which i had in my case :sad: we had to get the manager out to have a look, he sprayed the place while we were out. On our return the whole place stunk and gave me asthma so bad we had to sleep in the dunes on the beach, now that was more comfortable than sleeping in that first class chalet anyday, plus you get to see some added bonuses. :rofl: seemed the full moon comes up early in the dunes if you know what i mean lol :rofl: :rofl:

Clive Long
28th-August-2005, 09:30 PM

I dont have too many sure we can sort it out. :grin:
Seems like one of you has lost count. :whistle:

CRL

Lory
29th-August-2005, 03:26 PM
Is there heating???

There ARE things that LOOK like heaters, they're grey and fixed to the wall but one soon realises, they are only they to 'enhance' the decor ;) :D

Electric blankets are the answer! :wink:

dee
29th-August-2005, 05:53 PM
There ARE things that LOOK like heaters, they're grey and fixed to the wall but one soon realises, they are only they to 'enhance' the decor ;) :D

Electric blankets are the answer! :wink:

Electric bankets if you can afford the electric that is :rofl: cost a fortune to run if i remember correctly :flower:

dee
29th-August-2005, 05:55 PM
Seems like one of you has lost count. :whistle:

CRL

Yeah sis what are you like these days :whistle:

Missy D
30th-August-2005, 12:11 AM
Yeah sis what are you like these days :whistle:

Me? huh! maybe i should of said sis has too many creatures so cant come. Cant imagine Franko would let you bring you bring 2 cats 3 tanks of fish and a ginger weet can you? oh and the offsprings. Guess we could try and sneak them all in :rofl:

dee
30th-August-2005, 09:07 AM
Two of us Girlies are going from Norwich, we will be sending our booking off this weekend. Anyone want to share with us?

Did you find anyone to share with?

Gill (Norwich)
30th-August-2005, 01:41 PM
Did you find anyone to share with?

No we just sent the booking off for the two of us, we didn't want to go on a man-hunt like we did for Southport. Although we did end up finding 4 :whistle:

dee
30th-August-2005, 02:45 PM
No we just sent the booking off for the two of us, we didn't want to go on a man-hunt like we did for Southport. Although we did end up finding 4 :whistle:

Lucky you. im sending mine off this friday, would of done it sooner but the month has flown and looks like the car tax is due this wed :sick:

If anyone else wants to share with sis and i please let me know. Ta :flower:

David Bailey
30th-August-2005, 03:32 PM
Lucky you. im sending mine off this friday, would of done it sooner but the month has flown and looks like the car tax is due this wed :sick:

Wa-hey!

Oh, hold on - you're looking for a woman I guess :tears:

(Clive, where's the Emergency Red Dress? It's an emergency...)

dee
30th-August-2005, 05:30 PM
Wa-hey!

Oh, hold on - you're looking for a woman I guess :tears:

(Clive, where's the Emergency Red Dress? It's an emergency...)

Did i say woman?? but if you fancy dressing up as a woman thats fine by me :innocent:

dee
30th-August-2005, 05:31 PM
Did i say woman?? but if you fancy dressing up as a woman thats fine by me :innocent:

Hurry up clive with the red dress !!! :kiss:

Clive Long
30th-August-2005, 06:01 PM
Hurry up clive with the red dress !!! :kiss:
Sorry it's on loan.

dee
30th-August-2005, 06:13 PM
Sorry it's on loan.

David, i look forward to seeing you in it one day? :blush:

Gill (Norwich)
30th-August-2005, 06:23 PM

Now that I would travel to see :grin:

Gill (Norwich)
30th-August-2005, 06:26 PM

You can still share with us if you want, just get them to add you to my booking. I only sent it off this weekend. It would be great to share with you.
Keep the men for the dance floor ;)

dee
30th-August-2005, 06:30 PM
You can still share with us if you want, just get them to add you to my booking. I only sent it off this weekend. It would be great to share with you.
Keep the men for the dance floor ;)

Ok will have a chat to my sister and let u know :hug: dont worry ive never been out with a dancer as yet so its usually kept to the dance floor :tears:

David Bailey
30th-August-2005, 07:02 PM
Hmmmm.... OK, maybe it's not quite that much of an emergency after all.

dee
30th-August-2005, 07:29 PM
Hmmmm.... OK, maybe it's not quite that much of an emergency after all.

Now im sad :tears: :tears: was REALLY looking forward to that :tears:

(How about a private showing? i promise not to tell a soul)

David Bailey
30th-August-2005, 08:30 PM
(How about a private showing? i promise not to tell a soul)
Well, seeing as you've asked so discreetly...

Seriously, Camber sounds like a bit of a dump - are all weekenders that grotty?

Clive Long
30th-August-2005, 08:38 PM
Well, seeing as you've asked so discreetly...

Seriously, Camber sounds like a bit of a dump - are all weekenders that grotty?
Yes it is a dump - well a little basic, shall we say.

The chalets have the insulation quality of a damp carboard box - with the lid ripped off. However, see Lory's (and others) excellent advice on how to survive the privations of a Camber weekend.

But it's fun, fun, fun all the way. Chance to talk to da laydeez - even to ZW. Expect the week following to be an emotional wash-out due to physical and emotional fatigue.

You will, of course, maintain a dignified aloofness from such frivolous enjoyment. :devil:

CRL

dee
30th-August-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes it is a dump - well a little basic, shall we say.

The chalets have the insulation quality of a damp carboard box - with the lid ripped off. However, see Lory's (and others) excellent advice on how to survive the privations of a Camber weekend.

CRL

Fantastic !!! :clap: i couldn't of put it better if i tried. One thing, you make it sound so much nicer :rofl: but don't we all love going?.

I've not been for a few years, but i do hope those wee stained beds and peeling wallpaper are still there :drool:

JoC
30th-August-2005, 09:20 PM
I've not been for a few years, but i do hope those wee stained beds and peeling wallpaper are still there :drool: I really must get my booking in soon, it sounds irresistable!!! :what: Dee are you in the public relations and marketing team perchance?

Lory
30th-August-2005, 10:08 PM
I really must get my booking in soon, it sounds irresistable!!!

Well Jo, let me reassure you.. there's good news... the doors on the wardrobes no longer fall off, bang or get stuck...

Cos they've taken them all off ;)

And don't forget, you can always use the oven as an extra heater, :wink: (just NOT at the same time as you want to have a shower, cos you can only use one OR the other!)

It's not that bad at all really.....Last time, I had a lovely picture of a smiley face, drawn in Crayon, on my bedroom wall! :na:

ducasi
30th-August-2005, 11:25 PM
I really must get my booking in soon, it sounds irresistable!!! :what: Dee are you in the public relations and marketing team perchance? :yeah:

The way they are talked about around here, both Camber and Southport sound really, really awful places... and all the stuff we're supposed to take to make them liveable makes me wonder if I'll ever want to go to either... :sick:

Tell me it ain't so bad??? :flower:

spindr
30th-August-2005, 11:43 PM
The way they are talked about around here, both Camber and Southport sound really, really awful places... and all the stuff we're supposed to take to make them liveable makes me wonder if I'll ever want to go to either... :sick:

They aren't so bad -- wait till you stay at Beach Boogie, or Monster Jive Cocktail :)

I think to an extent you get what you pay for -- the best dance event at a holiday camp was Salsa Splash at Hayling Island -- but it cost about twice as much as Camber.

SpinDr.

dee
31st-August-2005, 10:29 AM
They aren't so bad -- wait till you stay at Beach Boogie, or Monster Jive Cocktail :)

SpinDr.

Ive never been to MJC but Beach Boogie makes staying at Camber a luxury. Must say Bognor had the best accomodation, no really i can't fault that place :flower:

David Bailey
31st-August-2005, 11:08 AM
Ive never been to MJC but Beach Boogie makes staying at Camber a luxury.
I saw the huts at MJC. For two minutes. Longest two minutes of my life... :eek:

David Franklin
31st-August-2005, 11:16 AM
Ive never been to MJC but Beach Boogie makes staying at Camber a luxury. Must say Bognor had the best accomodation, no really i can't fault that place :flower:Accommodation for the USA Grand Nationals cost around 25 pounds per person (for a couple, sharing) per night. It's not a bad place to stay... :wink:

ducasi
31st-August-2005, 11:59 AM
Accommodation for the USA Grand Nationals cost around 25 pounds per person (for a couple, sharing) per night. It's not a bad place to stay... :wink: I'm up for a weekender there! :drool:

Lee
31st-August-2005, 01:04 PM
:yeah:

It's great, just don't expect high quality living! :eek:

At least you get a free pet for the duration, everytime i've been i've had a cute little mouse to look after, it comes with it's own kitchen to live in. :rofl:

Not sure the ladies liked it much :rolleyes: they spent most of the time on the chairs

Lee

Chef
31st-August-2005, 01:23 PM
The accomodation at theese weekenders is not ususally up to much (I am told that rockbottoms at Torquay is quite good though) but the organisers usually offer the option of buying tickets that do not include on site accomodation. This leaves you free to get local hotels or B&B at a standard to suit your own tastes and pocket. You do however lose out on the convenience of on site accomodation.

As someone that actually enjoys camping I don't find the accomodation too bad (except MJC where camping is preferable despite the midges and tin hut shower blocks). On these weekenders I am at dance lessons, dancing, or sleeeping leaving the only concious times as showering or eating. I can ignore the short comings considering the price.

RachD
31st-August-2005, 01:24 PM

At least you get a free pet for the duration, everytime i've been i've had a cute little mouse to look after, it comes with it's own kitchen to live in. :rofl:

Not sure the ladies liked it much :rolleyes: they spent most of the time on the chairs

Lee

Beware - Camber mice eat dry pasta!

dee
31st-August-2005, 04:22 PM
Accommodation for the USA Grand Nationals cost around 25 pounds per person (for a couple, sharing) per night. It's not a bad place to stay... :wink:

Now that i WOULD call luxury!! sis when can we book? :flower:

dee
31st-August-2005, 04:25 PM

Lee

Well im complaining now :mad: how come i've never seen a mouse? and i pay good money. :hug:

Lee
2nd-September-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry, i think i booked the remaining 'Top' chalets. :blush:

Lee

See note below:

Just over 1200 people have booked for the Jive Weekend at Camber on the weekend of 11-14 November.

Please note that all Top apartments at Camber are sold out, all Mid apartments are still available.

It's gonna be fab!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers:

Mr Cool
3rd-September-2005, 03:14 AM
For my sins i have been too most Jive and swing dance weekends the important issues for me are more than one dance floor, a good choice of music and room to dance lots of dancerand you can dance till late. The best two dance weekends for me by far are Camber and southport both have the same fairly basic accomadation( its not that bad Beach boogie and MJC accomadation is poor by comparison) and if its cold in november leave the heating on 24hrs :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:

TiggsTours
7th-September-2005, 02:42 PM
Ive never been to MJC but Beach Boogie makes staying at Camber a luxury. Must say Bognor had the best accomodation, no really i can't fault that place :flower:
Well, if it gives you any idea, the accommodation at Beach Boogie is luxury compared to MJC!

But you have to consider what you are spending your money on. For MJC, Beach Boogie & Rock Bottoms you are paying for basic (at best) accommodation (although RBs in Torquay is actually pretty good) and the best teachers in the world, the best DJs in the country, and the extra touches (free tea & cakes, more effort on the decor, dancing till the last person drops), whereas with Camber you are paying for marginally better accommodation, teachers that do not get paid, and huge profits for Franco!

If anyone has seen any of Wakey Wakey Campers on Channel 4, that's where Beach Boogie takes place.

David Franklin
7th-September-2005, 02:59 PM
But you have to consider what you are spending your money on. For MJC, Beach Boogie & Rock Bottoms you are paying for basic (at best) accommodation (although RBs in Torquay is actually pretty good) and the best teachers in the world, the best DJs in the country, and the extra touches (free tea & cakes, more effort on the decor, dancing till the last person drops), whereas with Camber you are paying for marginally better accommodation, teachers that do not get paid, and huge profits for Franco!Not to flog a dead horse, but if you really want an amazing teaching lineup, go to a US convention. At the Grand Nationals, the teachers included: Robert Cordoba, Deborah Szekely, Jordan Frisbee, Tatianna Mollman, Yuval Hod, Natalie Gomez, Robert and Nicola Royston, Angel & Debbie Figueroa, Mary Ann Nunez. Nearly every one of them is a US Open winner.

I'd also argue about the relative accommodation merits. Having done RB Torquay and Isle of Wight, I'd say the accommodation at either beats Camber/Bognor quite comfortably. RB are definitely my favourite organisers. :worthy:

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 03:06 PM
... whereas with Camber you are paying for marginally better accommodation, teachers that do not get paid, and huge profits for Franco!
I've said it before:
- I don't care how much it costs (within reason)
- I don't care how much profit the organisers make (at all)

I just care about having a good time. Part of that involves some level of comfort (I'm old and picky now), part of that involves the venue, part of that involves the teachers. None of my enjoyment involves how much the organisers make out of it, any more than I worry about how much the organisers of any holidays I go on make out of me.

In fact, I'll go further - I want organisers to make money, I think more money will make events more professional. And if teachers are technically teaching for free (Why?), I'm sure they see it as a good way of generating business by publicity and promotion. Or at least getting a free weekend away, assuming they don't pay for the accommodation.

TiggsTours
7th-September-2005, 03:11 PM
Not to flog a dead horse, but if you really want an amazing teaching lineup, go to a US convention. At the Grand Nationals, the teachers included: Robert Cordoba, Deborah Szekely, Jordan Frisbee, Tatianna Mollman, Yuval Hod, Natalie Gomez, Robert and Nicola Royston, Angel & Debbie Figueroa, Mary Ann Nunez. Nearly every one of them is a US Open winner.
I'd never heard of it before, but it does look great, have to try it sometime, although not for the next couple of years! Too many other commitments next year for dance holidays.

I'd also argue about the relative accommodation merits. Having done RB Torquay and Isle of Wight, I'd say the accommodation at either beats Camber/Bognor quite comfortably. RB are definitely my favourite organisers. :worthy:
:yeah: They are the best! And they get teachers of the same level you talked about for the US Convention! As do Beach Boogie. The Swing Beach Boogie this year had Andy & Christelle :worthy: (one the International Freestyle this year) and Kevin & Carla :worthy: (came 4th in the World Lindy Champs) and our very own homegrown Gary & Sara :worthy: (UK Lindy Champs) they were all just superb!

Its a very English thing to sing the praises of the overseas constabulary, and forget that we do have some truly awesome dancers and teachers in this country too! (Gary & Sara, we love you!!!) :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

TiggsTours
7th-September-2005, 03:14 PM
I've said it before:
- I don't care how much it costs (within reason)
- I don't care how much profit the organisers make (at all)

I just care about having a good time. Part of that involves some level of comfort (I'm old and picky now), part of that involves the venue, part of that involves the teachers. None of my enjoyment involves how much the organisers make out of it, any more than I worry about how much the organisers of any holidays I go on make out of me.

In fact, I'll go further - I want organisers to make money, I think more money will make events more professional. And if teachers are technically teaching for free (Why?), I'm sure they see it as a good way of generating business by publicity and promotion. Or at least getting a free weekend away, assuming they don't pay for the accommodation.
Yes, I agree with all of that, but when I pay the same amount of money for 2 different weekenders, one of them has a truly mind-blowing line-up of teachers and very basic accommodation, and the other has a mediocre line-up of teachers and basic accommodation, then I would feel the first was better value for money. Camber is hardly the Ritz!

Minnie M
7th-September-2005, 03:16 PM
They are the best! And they get teachers of the same level you talked about for the US Convention
Hate to disaggree with you, but David is right - we are no-where near the level of teaching expertise that they have in the US - and even on our weekenders, the organisers can only afford to book one or maybe two of such teachers (we are talking about mainly MJ events here)

AFA dancing ability, we do have some extremely good dancers in the UK, but ........

However, we do have, and RB does book, the BEST teachers of MJ in the world :worthy:

David Bailey
7th-September-2005, 03:24 PM
Yes, I agree with all of that, but when I pay the same amount of money for 2 different weekenders, one of them has a truly mind-blowing line-up of teachers and very basic accommodation, and the other has a mediocre line-up of teachers and basic accommodation, then I would feel the first was better value for money. Camber is hardly the Ritz!
Sure - this is one reason why I never go to weekenders...

I dunno, I suppose it depends on how important the "learning" thing is to you. If I wanted to go somewhere to learn seriously, I'd prefer an all-day workshop to a weekender, simply because I can focus on learning rather than dancing / recovering from dancing / picking lice out of my bed / etc.

I went to an all-dayer a few years back, in Surrey I believe, with every type of partner dance style being taught - MJ, Latin, Tango, you name it. Great fun, and I learnt a lot. But I was knackered by the evening, all that thinking stuff, and left early.

From what people are saying, it seems to me weekenders are more about fun (dancing, socialising, cocktails etc.) than serious learning, and the DJs are more important to many people than the teachers. But as I said, I dunno, it's all a mystery to me...

TiggsTours
7th-September-2005, 03:25 PM
Hate to disaggree with you, but David is right - we are no-where near the level of teaching expertise that they have in the US - and even on our weekenders, the organisers can only afford to book one or maybe two of such teachers (we are talking about mainly MJ events here)

AFA dancing ability, we do have some extremely good dancers in the UK, but ........

However, we do have, and RB does book, the BEST teachers of MJ in the world :worthy:
Ahem, I happen to know that at least one of those sets of teachers mentioned in the US Convention have been approached to teach at RBs, as have Kevin & Carla, and Andy & Christelle, and Beach Boogie had 3 of the top international teachers for the Swing week, and 1 of those couples were British.

JonD
7th-September-2005, 03:33 PM
Rock Bottoms in Torquay is OK, Bognor is bearable, Camber is terrible and I'm about to experience Southport for the first time.

As a contrast, I spent 6 days commencing 14th August staying in a very comfortable garden shed in the woods (they call them "cabannes") at Tango Valley (http://www.tangovalley.com). It cost a total of €400 (£270.53 at current rates) for 6 days full board, a total of 10 structured & progressive tango workshops each of 90 minutes with truly excellent dance teachers (only 12 couples there so you get lots of attention). I've included the taxi to/from Albi railway station and my wine, ice-cream and mars bar consumption. And I didn't stint myself on wine, ice-cream or mars bars! Teas/coffees etc. are free. There's only one dance floor but you can use it when you like and there is a vine providing fresh grapes growing in the roof. Oh, and the Tarn Valley is rather more attractive and much warmer than Romney Marsh.

It's my belief that we pay a lot for what we get at Jive weekends - but I'm willing to pay it for the fun of meeting lots of other good dancers. Having said that, after freezing last November I decided that Camber is just too awful to contemplate ever again! As for the classes at the national events - well, the teachers may be good but how much do you actually learn in a class with hundreds of people? Maybe a couple of Jive moves and a sense of what another dance may feel like - little more than that. The benefit is in dancing all night with really good people to excellent music.

Businesses exist to make money and I'm all in favour of that - I run one. I just think that there is a stark contrast between what Modern Jive businesses offer and what is available in other countries for other dance styles. As long as there is demand for Jive weekenders then they'll continue to flourish but it would be good to have something a bit less "Hi Di Hi".

David Franklin
7th-September-2005, 03:50 PM
Ahem, I happen to know that at least one of those sets of teachers mentioned in the US Convention have been approached to teach at RBs, as have Kevin & Carla, and Andy & Christelle, and Beach Boogie had 3 of the top international teachers for the Swing week, and 1 of those couples were British.And that's pretty good going given the size of the UK. I thought it was a fabulous coup to get Kevin and Carla over! :worthy:

But it just doesn't come close to the depth you'll get at a US convention. Outside of that list of teachers I gave, there were more than ten other US Open winners there to dance and compete - literally too many for each of them to get a teaching slot.

Minnie M
7th-September-2005, 03:53 PM
(although RBs in Torquay is actually pretty good) and the best teachers in the world, the best DJs in the country, and the extra touches (free tea & cakes, more effort on the decor, dancing till the last person drops),
Ahem, I happen to know that at least one of those sets of teachers mentioned in the US Convention have been approached to teach at RBs, as have Kevin & Carla, and Andy & Christelle, and Beach Boogie had 3 of the top international teachers for the Swing week, and 1 of those couples were British.
IMHO RB's weekenders are the best value for money out of all the MJ weekenders - no question there

However, to keep their prices competitive, they could not afford to book more that one or two overseas teachers, who will be teaching dance styles other than MJ and why would we want more on a Modern Jive weekend....

I think we are arguing at cross purposes :-
eg: UK Lindy events (eg Camp Savoy) do have top class international teachers

It is a little silly to compare the US Open with any of our MJ events - I think the argument was the 'best teachers in the world' and the US do have them

Good news is, many of our teachers are great - we just need to put them all in one place one weekend - wouldn't that be amazing :worthy: (minimum of 20 teachers for a weekend - all top class)

Russell Saxby
7th-September-2005, 05:13 PM
From what people are saying, it seems to me weekenders are more about fun (dancing, socialising, cocktails etc.) than serious learning, and the DJs are more important to many people than the teachers. But as I said, I dunno, it's all a mystery to me...

under par
7th-September-2005, 05:29 PM
fun [/B](dancing, socialising, cocktails etc.) than serious learning, and the DJs are more important to many people than the teachers..

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: WITH GREAT BIG BELLS ON :yeah: :yeah:

Minnie M
7th-September-2005, 06:00 PM
... From what people are saying, it seems to me weekenders are more about fun (dancing, socialising, cocktails etc.) than serious learning, and the DJs are more important to many people than the teachers. ...
:yeah: yes yes yes - ignor previous posts :innocent: :tears: must read all posts, must read all posts, must read all posts, must read all posts, must read all posts, must read all posts, must read all posts,I agree with DavidJames / Russell & Under Par - tis true..........the main reason I go and love to go to MJ weekenders is dancing, socialising, cocktails etc and the stars are the DJs :worthy: :yeah: it is the only time you get to really socialise with dancing friends

BTW It is the dancers & DJs which makes me decide which MJ event to go to :blush: For Swing events it is the teachers / bands / activities that helps my decision to go. The social side is secondary but just as important

dee
7th-September-2005, 06:11 PM

Sis and i usually go for a good laugh, its our time of the year to dance the whole night away into the early hours of the morning, then get up early for the odd workshop and back to bed ready for some more dancing and socialising that evening. And if the DJ is not up to much and we are at Camber, then we have a few drinks and play in the park thats on site. Now what more could one need? except a nice young man to escort me back to my first class chalet :flower:

Gill (Norwich)
7th-September-2005, 06:16 PM
Sis and i usually go for a good laugh, its our time of the year to dance the whole night away into the early hours of the morning, then get up early for the odd workshop and back to bed ready for some more dancing and socialising that evening. And if the DJ is not up to much and we are at Camber, then we have a few drinks and play in the park thats on site. Now what more could one need? except a nice young man to escort me back to my first class chalet :flower:
Hey can Lynn and I come and play on the playground with you ? :clap:

dee
7th-September-2005, 06:22 PM

Of course you can :flower: and bring some spare bread as we noticed the sea gulls like to feed off the tops of peoples cars :rofl:

Have you seen the state of some of those cars? those gulls are MASSIVE, and so are there dropping :rofl:

under par
7th-September-2005, 06:25 PM

Hello! hello! hello! whats going on 'ere then? :what:

Playing in a playground after the prohibition order hours and in direct contravention of the legislation enabled by "The between the Piers Act 1812". :angry: :angry:

Well I see this playground needs special Home Office authority and a constable of the law on patrol during these modern jive festivities. :eek:

I volunteer my sevices to keep these jiving wenches under control in the play ground. I would hate to see anyone flouting the Roundabout Regs. or breaching the Swingers Charter let alone the Slide Rules. :flower:

Gill (Norwich)
7th-September-2005, 06:27 PM
Of course you can :flower: and bring some spare bread as we noticed the sea gulls like to feed off the tops of peoples cars :rofl:

Have you seen the state of some of those cars? those gulls are MASSIVE, and so are there dropping :rofl:
Ah I get it. We put the bread on the roofs of cars well away from ours :rofl:
Shall we bring skipping ropes too? (We don't skip with them of course, but they do have there uses :innocent: )

Gill (Norwich)
7th-September-2005, 06:28 PM

Playing in a playground after the prohibition order hours and in direct contravention of the legislation enabled by "The between the Piers Act 1812". :angry: :angry:

Well I see this playground needs special Home Office authority and a constable of the law on patrol during these modern jive festivities. :eek:

I volunteer my sevices to keep these jiving wenches under control in the play ground. I would hate to see anyone flouting the Roundabout Regs. or breaching the Swingers Charter let alone the Slide Rules. :flower:
Have you got a skipping rope too then? :clap:

dee
7th-September-2005, 06:44 PM

I've come over all hot :yum: the thought of a man in uniform in a playground :drool: have you got hand cuffs? sometimes we get really silly and may need arresting. If you dont then i know my sister has a pair of fluffy leopard skin ones in her dance bag which she calls "lucky cuffs" for some reason :innocent:

Now i can't wait til november :clap:

under par
7th-September-2005, 06:52 PM
I've come over all hot :yum: the thought of a man in uniform in a playground :drool: have you got hand cuffs? sometimes we get really silly and may need arresting.

Mental note remember to take uniform and equipment :whistle:

If you dont then i know my sister has a pair of fluffy leopard skin ones in her dance bag which she calls "lucky cuffs" for some reason :innocent:

Now i can't wait til november :clap:

Now I'm getting a bit hot under the collar.

Gill (Norwich)
7th-September-2005, 06:52 PM
I've come over all hot :yum: the thought of a man in uniform in a playground :drool: have you got hand cuffs? sometimes we get really silly and may need arresting. If you dont then i know my sister has a pair of fluffy leopard skin ones in her dance bag which she calls "lucky cuffs" for some reason :innocent:

Now I can't wait 'til november :clap:
Well if you have the handcuffs :eek: and we have the ropes :D the poor fella don't stand much chance of escape does he ? :wink:
Mind you I suppose we have to catch him first :rofl: That could be fun though :whistle:

dee
7th-September-2005, 07:09 PM
Well if you have the handcuffs :eek: and we have the ropes :D the poor fella don't stand much chance of escape does he ? :wink:
Mind you I suppose we have to catch him first :rofl: That could be fun though :whistle:

Don't worry i a micro scooter :rofl: we will catch him

Yes bring the skipping rope :rofl:

I'm sooooooooooo excited now!!!! :clap:

Missy D
7th-September-2005, 11:33 PM

I will help then we can all go "under Par".

I have a skiping rope and a space hopper :clap: :clap:

Gill (Norwich)
7th-September-2005, 11:38 PM
I will help then we can all go "under Par".

I have a skiping rope and a space hopper :clap: :clap:
Mine boggles as to what we are gonna do with that space hopper :sick:

Missy D
7th-September-2005, 11:40 PM

Mmmmmmm Lets wait for Dees response she has all the ideas :wink:

dee
8th-September-2005, 01:10 PM

Come on sis don't lower the tone, the last time you showed me what you did with your space hopper has scared me for life :mad: not only that there is no way im putting my hands anywhere near those handles. YUK!!!

Gill (Norwich)
8th-September-2005, 01:13 PM
Come on sis don't lower the tone, the last time you showed me what you did with your space hopper has scared me for life :mad: not only that there is no way im putting my hands anywhere near those handles. YUK!!!
Pot? Kettle? Black? :rofl:

Lee
8th-September-2005, 01:19 PM
:what: :confused: Anyway.....back to Camber in Nov ;)

Lee

Yogi_Bear
8th-September-2005, 01:22 PM

This thread is in danger of being 'taken upstairs'

Missy D
8th-September-2005, 05:14 PM

Come on Dee lets keep it in the family one handle each! :rofl: Might take some practice balancing :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: