PDA

View Full Version : Better than Hipsters?

Gus
12th-September-2004, 06:07 PM
Just had a very tired but happy friend calling me up to make me insanely jealous.. She's just come back from the Sunday T-Jive and she was mightliy impressed. Is Hipsters now passe? Is the Sunday Tea Dance to new place to be seen at?

Simon r
13th-September-2004, 06:09 AM
I'm afraid so fab dancers ,cool music ,free coffee and bics and such a friendly spirit....
no one has anything to prove there so very relaxed, what a great finish to any weekend.
:wink:

ChrisA
13th-September-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm afraid so fab dancers ,cool music ,free coffee and bics and such a friendly spirit....
no one has anything to prove there so very relaxed, what a great finish to any weekend.
:wink:
..... :yeah:

I'd agree with that. The venue is small though. IMHO with more than a handful more than were there yesterday it would go like Tuesday Hipsters did last year - too busy, so some people would stop going.

The problem for me that the level at which numbers become self-limiting for a venue I like is higher than the comfort factor for the very people I like to see there.

Chris

Gus
13th-September-2004, 08:52 AM
The problem for me that the level at which numbers become self-limiting for a venue I like is higher than the comfort factor for the very people I like to see there.

Chris

Good point. I've founf the clubs I've enjoyed the most are the smaller clubs (say 40/50 where ther is room to move but you're not dwarfed by acres of open dancefloor. The bigger events 200+ are great as an organiser and DJ but as a dancer they loose a bit of the friendliness ... can be a bit more impersonal. Keep on thinking about running some smaller Sunday Tea dances .... but its all, as usual, down to getting the right kind of venue :(

Sheepman
13th-September-2004, 02:08 PM
Is Hipsters now passe? Is the Sunday Tea Dance to new place to be seen at? No and Yes, they are like chalk and cheese.
I recall the tea dances in Sutton, which used to be very similar in the type of people that came, lots of dance teachers, relaxing and able to enjoy a dance with no pressures. It's a bit like turning up to a cosy front room and meeting all your mates, but with some dancing if you fancy. My problem is, being spoilt for choice with fab dancers, and with music which I can't sit down to, I don't get much of a chance to join in the gossip. (Perhaps I should try and persuade Toby to play some stuff that I hate, so that I can sit down :devil: ) It's also light enough so that you can see everyone there, and small enough so that you can make an attempt to dance with all of them.

But of course as Chris says, it is small, so over crowding can be an issue, the word we should be spreading is that it's like some illustrious golf club, you have to put your name down at birth, in order to stand a chance of getting a place before you retire!

Greg

Gus
13th-September-2004, 03:14 PM
But of course as Chris says, it is small, so over crowding can be an issue, the word we should be spreading is that it's like some illustrious golf club, you have to put your name down at birth, in order to stand a chance of getting a place before you retire!
So will I have to go through an audition to gain admittance when I finally get down there or will a large bribe suffice?

Roger C
13th-September-2004, 03:26 PM
Just had a very tired but happy friend calling me up to make me insanely jealous.. She's just come back from the Sunday T-Jive and she was mightliy impressed. Is Hipsters now passe? Is the Sunday Tea Dance to new place to be seen at?

Hi Gus,

Seeing that Amir runs the Sunday T-Jive and that Amir is the main teacher at Hipsters on Wednesdays - One may see that the Sunday T-Jive is a further extension of his Hipster's activities or at least complimentary to them.

Roger C.

cerocmetro
13th-September-2004, 04:49 PM
Hi Gus,

Seeing that Amir runs the Sunday T-Jive and that Amir is the main teacher at Hipsters on Wednesdays - One may see that the Sunday T-Jive is a further extension of his Hipster's activities or at least complimentary to them.

Roger C.

Do the other organisers of Hipsters get a cut then? :whistle:

Seeing as Amir learnt all his "Modern Jive " at Ceroc NZ, Nigel learnt to dance at Ceroc and taught for CerocMetro and helps organise JiveMasters and JB is still DJ'ing more Ceroc nights a week than anything else, do we call Hipsters Ceroc, or at least complimentary to CerocMetro? :whistle:

How did Oz go?
Adam

Gus
13th-September-2004, 04:57 PM
Seeing as Amir learnt all his "Modern Jive " at Ceroc NZ, Nigel learnt to dance at Ceroc and taught for CerocMetro and helps organise JiveMasters and JB is still DJ'ing more Ceroc nights a week than anything else, do we call Hipsters Ceroc,

Call it 'Ceroc' and scare away all the good DJs , teachers and dancers?? :tears: :tears: :wink:

Surely Ceroc would want to change its name to 'Hipsters' and try and cash in on the improved image :whistle:

Wasn't me who typed that ... a big boy came up, did it, then ran away ... honest

ChrisA
13th-September-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh great :tears:

This thread started out being about a tea dance. But, oh, it's Amir's tea dance. So obviously, it has to become all about Hipsters vs Ceroc?????

Consistent pattern - light-hearted banter to start with, then it just degenerates.

Why does it have to happen, every damn time something remotely Hipsters-related comes up.

Remind me why I bother reading this forum, someone, please?

For those that haven't yet been through about a dozen gory cycles, here's a synopsis....

... Hipsters is a London MJ venue.
... Some people like the teaching there, some don't.
... Some people like the people there, some don't.
... Some people like the music there, some don't.
... They don't teach semicircles. Some people like that, some don't.
... Some people also go to Ceroc venues, some people don't.

Er... can't think of anything else of importance.

Move along people, nothing to see here...

Chris

cerocmetro
13th-September-2004, 05:57 PM
Call it 'Ceroc' and scare away all the good DJs , teachers and dancers?? :tears: :tears: :wink:

Surely Ceroc would want to change its name to 'Hipsters' and try and cash in on the improved image :whistle:

Wasn't me who typed that ... a big boy came up, did it, then ran away ... honest

Sorry Gus "Cash IN"

Hold on ... nice sentiments .. but some of us have to make a living (or at least partialy) from this game! I'm out of contract at the moment, and intend to be till the end of the year. My only income is through my dance business. It can take about 10 - 15 mandays of effort to get a reasonable workshop together. Even my basic 1hr drops class took about 5 mandays to put together. How do you think I would feel if someone took my handouts, videoed the presentation then presented the course themselves. I'm not on about resorting to legal remedies ... I'm on about what is RIGHT.

I have been doing this for 10 years as a sole income?
Do I take it you have no problem with people taking trade away from others but not from yourself?

Hipsters was a great concept, but was never going to be too long term unless they could bring new blood into the dance world. They will not be able to survive from the initial influx of dancers and what are they doing that is new to attact dancers who have joined MJ since then.

Gus remind me, how many times have you been to Hipsters?

Hipsters has done for MJ what any new concept does, it has helped Ceroc improve. Ceroc will produce its own advanced venues and products. Not one offs but as an overall brand.

If it had not been for one of my taxi dancers opening up down the road to me on the same night, there would never have been a JiveMasters. He made me realise I have to improve my product and Hipsters has done that for Ceroc. The clever bit will be if just before it goes pear shape, they can combine the two, but I am not convinced that you are right as to which name might change.

As to scaring away "all the good DJs , teachers", JB DJ's for me two nights a week, Hipsters 1 and what happend to Vicktor, Andy & Rena, Ceroc made them leave Hipsters :confused:

under par
13th-September-2004, 06:02 PM

This thread started out being about a tea dance. But, oh, it's Amir's tea dance. So obviously, it has to become all about Hipsters vs Ceroc?????

Consistent pattern - light-hearted banter to start with, then it just degenerates.

Why does it have to happen, every damn time something remotely Hipsters-related comes up.

Remind me why I bother reading this forum, someone, please?

For those that haven't yet been through about a dozen gory cycles, here's a synopsis....

... Hipsters is a London MJ venue.
... Some people like the teaching there, some don't.
... Some people like the people there, some don't.
... Some people like the music there, some don't.
... They don't teach semicircles. Some people like that, some don't.
... Some people also go to Ceroc venues, some people don't.

Er... can't think of anything else of importance.

Chris

Well said Chris.

Out they come, big guns blazing......you know I reckon a few people are a bit envious out there.

It is after all only a few people going out and ENJOYING their dancing.

Why all the negative vibes continually bleating on about my fun, your fun and every other dancers enjoyment (dancers who have made a choice and paid their money).

Gus
13th-September-2004, 06:10 PM
Do I take it you have no problem with people taking trade away from others but not from yourself?NB .. this is all off thread :sad: .
Urr .. sorry, but I'm not sure where this statement comes from ... I didn’t know anyone was actually taking people away form anyone else. AFAIK both Hipsters and T-Jive are independent events who are meeting a need that other clubs don’t seem to do. I don’t remember anyone saying they were poaching form anyone else. My views on poaching are fairly clear (I don’t even like my eggs poached!).

Hipsters was a great concept, but was never going to be too long term unless they could bring new blood into the dance world. They will not be able to survive from the initial influx of dancers and what are they doing that is new to attract dancers who have joined MJ since then.There is an ODA argument is that Hipsters is managing to retain dancers who would otherwise have left the 'Ceroc' world. Its happened up here. The local Ceroc clubs can't cater for the more experienced/advanced dancers so they go elsewhere.

Hipsters has done for MJ what any new concept does, it has helped Ceroc improve. Ceroc will produce its own advanced venues and products. Not one offs but as an overall brand.Maybe so ... but until that day the independents will fill that gap. The closeness of an analogy to Microsoft is scaringly close. The independents produce software to plug the big holes in MS products .. but gradually MS integrates those aspects into its own code, pushing the independents out of business. Was this the kind of things you are referring to?

Gus remind me, how many times have you been to Hipsters?ONCE! ... the opening night and a great time I had. The point being???

RobC
13th-September-2004, 06:13 PM
Hipsters was a great concept, but was never going to be too long term unless they could bring new blood into the dance world. They will not be able to survive from the initial influx of dancers and what are they doing that is new to attact dancers who have joined MJ since then.
I dunno - they still seem to be going strong. They are attracting dancers in from a very wide catchment area, even on a school night. They don't need to do anything new to attract dancers new to the MJ scene - word of mouth advirtising from people who currently go there is doing the job just fine.

Gus remind me, how many times have you been to Hipsters?

Don't remember seeing you down there much either Adam ? :devil:

Sparkles
13th-September-2004, 06:20 PM

{snip}

Chris
:yeah:
I think what this thread needs is people other than CerocMetro and Gus contributing to it :devil: :wink: (sorry guys, but I have to say that Chris A is right and surely we don't need another :rolleyes: of these debates).

As it turns out I've never been to one of Amir's Tea dances and was planning to go along to one in the near future and I was enjoying reading peoples' comments on it as a venue. So please, people that love dancing, tell me all about what the tea dances are like... I really want to know! :cheers:

under par
13th-September-2004, 06:28 PM
As it turns out I've never been to one of Amir's Tea dances and was planning to go along to one in the near future and I was enjoying reading peoples' comments on it as a venue. So please, people that love dancing, tell me all about what the tea dances are like... I really want to know! :cheers:

Funky! Fab! :yeah: Latin! Tango! :yeah: Great Chooons! :clap: very different lesson more Tango than Jive! :worthy: Humour! :rofl: Ever such jolly nice people! :hug:

(And for the benefit of all the knockers out there) GREAT FUN! :yeah: (try having some!)

Zebra Woman
13th-September-2004, 06:36 PM
I think what this thread needs is people other than CerocMetro and Gus contributing to it :devil: :wink: (sorry guys, but I have to say that Chris A is right and surely we don't need another :rolleyes: of these debates).

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Well said Sparkles. I too am very close to coming to my first Tea dance, and came here looking for information, not that yawn yawn yawn old argument again. It seems to pollute every thread in the end. :angry:

ChrisA
13th-September-2004, 06:41 PM
So please, people that love dancing, tell me all about what the tea dances are like... I really want to know! :cheers:
Well, it's a nice small venue, with lots of comfy seating... There are lots of nice people who are almost all really nice to dance with... there's some unusual and relatively difficult music to dance to, and there's tea, coffee, biccies and sometimes cake or fruit depending on what people bring.

However, the harsh reality is this:

If many more people start going than were there yesterday, it will be too crowded for people that like a relaxed, easy-going atmosphere with space to dance. The fussy ones such as myself will stop going if it gets too crowded.

This will change the atmosphere, since most of the usual suspects are regulars who have been going for a year or more.

Whether this change of atmosphere proves good or bad for those remaining, remains to be seen, but just as other venues have become too popular for their own good, the change will surely happen.

Personally I think the only two ways of managing this growth in popularity is either to make such events ticket-only - and do it before the injuries start - or, make the music progressively more and more difficult until it puts off all but the hardest of hard-core.

I'd be happy with either of these approaches, since on the one hand I'd be happy to buy tickets in advance for Amir's tea dances, and on the other, if I'm not good enough to dance to certain music (which happens plenty often enough :( ), I take steps to become so, rather than moaning about the lack of a beat in the music as do some.

Chris

cerocmetro
13th-September-2004, 06:43 PM
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Well said Sparkles. I too am very close to coming to my first Tea dance, and came here looking for information, not that yawn yawn yawn old argument again. It seems to pollute every thread in the end. :angry:

Guilty as charged, how did I get into that :tears: :flower:

Adam

Sparkles
13th-September-2004, 06:48 PM
If many more people start going than were there yesterday, it will be too crowded for people that like a relaxed, easy-going atmosphere with space to dance. The fussy ones such as myself will stop going if it gets too crowded.
Does that mean that newcomers, such as Zebra Woman and myself, are not welcome? :tears:

This will change the atmosphere, since most of the usual suspects are regulars who have been going for a year or more.
Can you only go if you've already been going for a long time then? :devil: :(

Personally I think the only two ways of managing this growth in popularity is either to make such events ticket-only - and do it before the injuries start - or, make the music progressively more and more difficult until it puts off all but the hardest of hard-core.
Or put it in a different, larger venue? :whistle:

cerocmetro
13th-September-2004, 07:13 PM
Does that mean that newcomers, such as Zebra Woman and myself, are not welcome? :tears:

Couldn't resist this, we are opening a new night. The music will be impossible to dance to, the dance floor is three foot square and entry is limited to one couple.

It should be the most successful MJ night ever, with 100% capacity every night and a guaranteed standard of dancing

Watch very closely for details as it will only be advertised subliminely :rofl:

Divissima
13th-September-2004, 07:14 PM
Does that mean that newcomers, such as Zebra Woman and myself, are not welcome? :tears: Not at all - everyone is welcome. It is a small venue, so it isn't aggressively promoted, but we love having new faces. Gus's friend, Clare, hadn't been before - as it turned out, she was an old friend from my days at Nottingham ceroc (ah, the good old times at the Marcus Garvey centre!). It is a slightly shabby, very friendly venue, and the atmosphere of the tea dance takes its cue from the surroundings. There's plenty of chatting to do while resting from the dancing - and tea! Some people bring their children - everyone is welcome.

Minnie M
13th-September-2004, 07:28 PM
and a very cheap bar :cheers:

I enjoyed my visit, friendly, good dancers, room to dance and a lots different music, inspiring and some times challenging, but as the standard of dancing was high, this was not a problem. The music was not too loud, therefore it was great to have a chat too.

There is something about a T-dance that is different from an evening dance (beside the obvious) I really enjoyed John V's Sutton Tea dances even when there was only a handful of people there, such a shame they stopped.

LONG LIVE AMIR'S T-DANCE :worthy: and in the format that it is now.

I sincerely hope it doesn't become busy like Tuesday Hipsters, or if the format changed. A little difficult for me to go every month but will certainly go again. :clap:

ChrisA
13th-September-2004, 07:42 PM

[sigh]

Why not let's everyone read stuff I don't write into my posts, then? :rolleyes:

I said nothing about whether anyone is welcome or not. I was just commenting on something that seems rather obvious and uncontroversial, that if a venue gets too popular (= busy, crowded, injurious to health, stressful for all these reasons) its character changes because some people stop liking it, and stop going.

Surely this isn't a serious question??? It just so happens that the character of the event, a composite as it is of the place, the music, and the people, has been contributed to substantially by a moderately consistent set of people. This is just an observation, not a piece of legislation.

...or this a serious suggestion?

The whole point about it is that it is a small, intimate affair. Change the venue, change the numbers, it becomes something different. Whether this is good or bad is down to people's preferences, and different people have different tastes.

Personally, I like it the way it is. But then I would, wouldn't I?

If your post was just a wind-up, a tease, then I apologise for taking it seriously. Especially if it wasn't just you setting me up. :hug:

Chris

Sparkles
13th-September-2004, 07:49 PM
[sigh]
If your post was just a wind-up, a tease, then I apologise for taking it seriously. Especially if it wasn't just you setting me up. :hug:

I was teasing :o , just a tad, and I wanted to see if you'd bite, and you did - and as you can see from my devil smilie the second comment was completely tongue in cheek. Sorry.
My first comment was however semi-serious... all this stuff about 'if more people come I'll stop going' did, I have to say, make me think twice about going because I wouldn't want to spoil your, or anyone else's, enjoyment of the event by making it too crowded or lowering the standard of the dancing :flower:
The last comment was a serious one. As I've said, I've never been to one of these events and moving it to a bigger venue seemed the obvious solution to the problem of overcrowding you mentioned. However, now that you have explained to me that the venue is a large part of what makes it such a good event I understand better and thank you for your reply. :cheers:

Daisy
13th-September-2004, 08:06 PM
(And for the benefit of all the knockers out there) GREAT FUN! :yeah: (try having some!)

You leave my knockers out of it young man!! :whistle: :rofl:
------------------------------------------------------------------

My taste in life is simple....I only want the best!

ChrisA
13th-September-2004, 11:17 PM
My first comment was however semi-serious... all this stuff about 'if more people come I'll stop going' did, I have to say, make me think twice about going because I wouldn't want to spoil your, or anyone else's, enjoyment of the event by making it too crowded or lowering the standard of the dancing :flower:

Sure - and of course before I was a regular, I was a newcomer, so I'd feel the same in the same position. There's never a perfect solution to any of this when it's just come one, come all. Tickets in advance is the fairest way of limiting the numbers - then the keenest get preference, since they are the ones prepared to put the most effort into doing whatever it takes to get the tickets first.

The last comment was a serious one. As I've said, I've never been to one of these events and moving it to a bigger venue seemed the obvious solution to the problem of overcrowding you mentioned. However, now that you have explained to me that the venue is a large part of what makes it such a good event I understand better and thank you for your reply. :cheers:
And thanks for taking it that way - I'm really just commenting on the inevitability of anything that gets too popular - unspoilt beaches get spoiled, beautiful views get built on, motorways become car parks... and dance venues turn into bash-fests. :(

Chris

DavidY
14th-September-2004, 12:11 AM
my days at Nottingham ceroc (ah, the good old times at the Marcus Garvey centre!)Marcus Garvey is still going strong- just got in from an excellent night there tonight.

Gus
14th-September-2004, 12:51 AM
I think what this thread needs is people other than CerocMetro and Gus contributing to it .....

Urrrr... hate to be pedanatic (for a change) but as I started the thread and had a fair idea what it was about dont I have some right to contribute? The key premise was (as mentioned by Divissima) was that a good mate of mine went down and had a very good time. The point that I was hoping would come out is that another Jive event now exists with a fairly different offering to the mainstream and its succesfull at doing wht it aims to do. Differentiation round a theme is good. the reference to Hipsters was only in passing, there to allow contrasts/comparisons to be made. The distraction with the 'Ceroc v Hipsters' was short lived.

So .. can we get back on thread :whistle:

Simon r
14th-September-2004, 06:17 AM
I am sure that Amir would like to invite everyone to experience the tea dance sunday ,and would hate the idea that anyone should feel excluded.
The music is harder to find a solid beat but that is the idea to stretch your dancing ability.
All types of music is played by the fab OWK which gives this venue its unique feel.
I am sure if numbers did increase they could be accomadated buy making the event weekly or bi weekly rather than monthly...
Please come and blow your self out all are welcome and feel safe in that no one will be judgeing your dancing capabilities :grin:

Roger C
14th-September-2004, 06:25 AM
Do the other organisers of Hipsters get a cut then? :whistle:

Seeing as Amir learnt all his "Modern Jive " at Ceroc NZ, Nigel learnt to dance at Ceroc and taught for CerocMetro and helps organise JiveMasters and JB is still DJ'ing more Ceroc nights a week than anything else, do we call Hipsters Ceroc, or at least complimentary to CerocMetro? :whistle:

How did Oz go?
Adam

Hi Adam,

I am not sure that Ceroc would like that link being made :really: especially from such a noteable as your good self :whistle:

Oz when very well - I managed to win the Masters DWAS and made the final of the Masters Open! :clap:

Catch you later, :cheers:
Roger C

under par
14th-September-2004, 06:35 AM
Hi Adam,

I am not sure that Ceroc would like that link being made :really: especially from such a noteable as your good self :whistle:

Oz when very well - I managed to win the Masters DWAS and made the final of the Masters Open! :clap:

Catch you later, :cheers:
Roger C

Well done Roger. :worthy: Glad you had a good time, see you tonight. :flower:

Dance Demon
14th-September-2004, 08:23 AM
Urrrr... hate to be pedanatic (for a change) but as I started the thread and had a fair idea what it was about dont I have some right to contribute? The key premise was (as mentioned by Divissima) was that a good mate of mine went down and had a very good time. The point that I was hoping would come out is that another Jive event now exists with a fairly different offering to the mainstream and its succesfull at doing wht it aims to do. Differentiation round a theme is good. the reference to Hipsters was only in passing, there to allow contrasts/comparisons to be made. The distraction with the 'Ceroc v Hipsters' was short lived.

:yeah: ....just what I was thinking Gus................Great minds eh :wink:

ChrisA
14th-September-2004, 08:28 AM
the fab OWK

I like this a lot. :D

I'm going to call him the fab OWK from now on.

:rofl: :rofl:

ChrisA
14th-September-2004, 08:35 AM
I am sure if numbers did increase they could be accomadated buy making the event weekly or bi weekly rather than monthly...
I'm not sure just increasing the number of events is always possible. I think it's great that Toby DJs and Claire does such a fab job with the tea and stuff - and I really appreciate them giving their time in this way. :hug: :worthy:

But to expect them to give up their Sunday afternoon twice a month - or even every week, isn't something that can be taken for granted.

Admittedly, the set up could be that alternative DJs and caterers :na: :whistle: could do different weeks, but it would then be a different product. And if it happened that most people's preference was for one particular DJ - the fab OWK being a case in point - the pressure on that week would remain. And of course maybe Amir would get sick of us if he had to teach us more often :really:

Chris

Gus
14th-September-2004, 09:05 AM
... I think it's great that Toby DJs and Claire does such a fab job with the tea and stuff Hold on ... nobody mentioned you actualy served tea and stuff!! I thought it was a T-Dance in name alone. Please tell me that the "stuff" includes cakes :o

Divissima
14th-September-2004, 09:14 AM
'Stuff' sometimes includes cakes, but will at least be an array of biscuits.

We have one or two baking angels who bring gorgeous cakes when they are able to attend. And there's tea, coffee, fruit teas....

They don't call me 'Tea Wench' for nothing, you know :wink:

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 10:28 AM
Don't remember seeing you down there much either Adam ? :devil:

Touche

Gus
14th-September-2004, 10:33 AM

Touche

OY! ... stop it. Back on thread!

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 10:35 AM
Please come and blow your self out all are welcome and feel safe in that no one will be judgeing your dancing capabilities :grin:

You will, of course, receive a score, out of 100, for the way you drink your tea and eat your biccies :innocent:

Lory
14th-September-2004, 10:50 AM
I've heard about some of the legendary ingredients that go into some of the cakes! :eek: :wink: Eh Dawn! :rofl:
You will, of course, receive a score, out of 100, for the way you drink your tea and eat your biccies :innocent: What happens if you 'dunk' and it plops into your tea? :tears:

DavidB
14th-September-2004, 11:06 AM
the fab OWKSounds like something out of 'Lord Of The Rings'
Then again - Toby's shirts do indicate the involvement of a very strange imagination...

Peter
14th-September-2004, 11:08 AM
They don't call me 'Tea Wench' for nothing, you know

Some think of you as "right-hand-led multiple spin wench" ...

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 11:25 AM
Some think of you as "right-hand-led multiple spin wench" ...

Using a high multiple-spin speed always means you have to spend longer with your wench on the ironing board to remove her crumpets :whistle:

Divissima
14th-September-2004, 11:45 AM
Using a high multiple-spin speed always means you have to spend longer with your wench on the ironing board to remove her crumpets :whistle:ooooh, saucy! :wink: *Barbara Windsor giggle*

Toby wan Kenobe
14th-September-2004, 12:26 PM
I like this a lot. :D

I'm going to call him the fab OWK from now on.

:rofl: :rofl:

Dude,
You are SO busted.... :what:

But seriously, all are most welcome at the T-Jive.

The T-Jive is probably different to most other MJ offerings in a couple of ways:
- Amir provides a wunnerful Tango-Jive class, full of stylish and sexy Amir moves, all with a relaxed Sunday-afternoon sort of feel.
- The Fab OWK, un-fettered by the usual commercial demands to cater to a broader MJ audience (can you tell I’m a management consultant!) is artistically empowered to craft a Klassic Kenobe mix of club-tango, Latin-soul, R&B, lounge-dance, Jazz-Swing and other interesting danceable stuff. It takes a bunch of time to track down the choons, but it’s worth it when I see the dancers working their magic with the tracks out there on the dance floor.
- Divi The Tea Wench ensures the event goes smoothly and that there’s plenty of T and biccies to go round. Often, people bring along fabby cakes.

It is a great venue, but it is small, what makes it work so well is the mix of regulars and new faces, together with a setup that encourages socialising and chat.

Currently we run once a month, and yes, given sufficient interest and/or demand, we would probably increase this to once every 3 weeks or maybe twice per month……probably……maybe.

The Fab OWK

P.S. We struggle a bit with the current sound system. So we’re considering investing in a decent set of powered speakers (appx 300W) – anybody know of a second hand pair available at a decent price? Could be worth free entry to the next couple of T-Jives….

Sheepman
14th-September-2004, 12:55 PM
or lowering the standard of the dancing :flower: :rofl:
Please come, let's see if we can lower the standard together :wink:
To use modern (?) parlance which I'm probably not qualified to do, :eek: the t-dance is unlike most of this discussion, it is "chilled." That would be likely to change if the venue changed, and certainly if it became a bun fight for space, (somebody would have to bring the buns though!)
My other favourite monthly dance had to go down the route of reservations for places, because it became too popular. The organiser consulted the customers about how many was the right number, he now sticks to that, and it has remained as my favourite (along with the t-dance). The t-dance hasn't reached that stage of over crowding yet, and hopefully it can be avoided, as it does involve plenty of admin work.

Greg

Sheepman
14th-September-2004, 01:00 PM
It is a great venue, but it is small Small enough to catch the DJs eye and give him the thumbs up when he plays some great new choon. :clap:

ChrisA
14th-September-2004, 01:14 PM
Small enough to catch the DJs eye and give him the thumbs up when he plays some great new choon. :clap:
And slap him about when he plays a bad one :devil:

Though the fab OWK rarely does that. :cheers:

Chris

ChrisA
14th-September-2004, 01:30 PM
Then again - Toby's shirts do indicate the involvement of a very strange imagination...

This, ladies and gents, is the best definition or 'irony' you'll get all day.

Possibly all month...

Chris

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 01:58 PM

Or a facination for colourful or sparkly things. Hey TWK, I've got these nice coloured beads I could swap for Divissima :devil:

Divissima
14th-September-2004, 02:38 PM
Or a facination for colourful or sparkly things. Hey TWK, I've got these nice coloured beads I could swap for Divissima :devil:Make it swarovski crystrals and I think you've got a fair exchange! :wink:

Sheepman
14th-September-2004, 03:16 PM
the best definition or 'irony' you'll get all day. Strange that, I didn't notice a single crease in Toby's shirt.
Or David's for that matter. :wink:

Greg

Andy McGregor
14th-September-2004, 05:13 PM
Make it Swarovski crystals and I think you've got a fair exchange! :wink:

He collects them? Bit girlie - but then look who's talking :innocent:

Still, the price still seems great value for such a fantastic person :devil:

Lory
14th-September-2004, 06:34 PM
[sigh]
The whole point about it is that it is a small, intimate affair. Change the venue, change the numbers, it becomes something different. Whether this is good or bad is down to people's preferences, and different people have different tastes.

I had my first taste of 'different' but 'great' on friday, at Harrow. When I first arrived, if I'm totally honest my heart sunk, as it looked very quiet but then as I looked around, I noticed a few of what I consider, imaginative, challenging dancers, the ones who make you 'think' and push you to another level! :waycool:

I think I must have danced with most of the men there at least once but what was great for me, was, I got to dance with the same fabby guys, loads of times (which is highly unusual for me, as I rarely dance more than twice with the same person in one night) and by the end of the evening I felt quite exhilarated and I felt my dancing had improved too! :na:

By the end of the evening, there may have only been about 9-10 couples on the floor but the atmosphere was still brilliant, helped of course by super music!

Thank you Latin Lover, we had some amazing ones, didn't we?! :worthy: :clap: :hug:

So I CAN appreciate how sometimes small and intimate affair CAN be better! :o

Gojive
14th-September-2004, 08:00 PM
Look out! I may well be meeting a few more of you at the next T-dance!! :really: .....don't run too fast! :tears:

Just been talking to my dance partner, and we've agreed this seems a great place to "warm up" before our Mini-Masters heat later that evening (if I've got my dates right...next one Oct 10th?) :waycool:

Toby wan Kenobe
14th-September-2004, 08:16 PM
Look out! I may well be meeting a few more of you at the next T-dance!! :really: .....don't run too fast! :tears:

Just been talking to my dance partner, and we've agreed this seems a great place to "warm up" before our Mini-Masters heat later that evening (if I've got my dates right...next one Oct 10th?) :waycool:
That would be great......
Does the Mini-M heat use the same tracks as the Jive-M heats? If so, I'll try and fit a couple of the J-M tracks into the mix.

TwK a.k.a "The Fab OWK"

Toby wan Kenobe
14th-September-2004, 08:19 PM
He collects them? Bit girlie - but then look who's talking :innocent:

Still, the price still seems great value for such a fantastic person :devil:

Not me Dude... but Divi sure does, and then she'd be making loads more on the deal than me!!!!
But hey, anything for a happy Divi :D

TheTramp
15th-September-2004, 12:57 AM
Does the Mini-M heat use the same tracks as the Jive-M heats? If so, I'll try and fit a couple of the J-M tracks into the mix.
Nah. I think that the mini-masters have their own tracks....

Trampy

Gojive
15th-September-2004, 08:53 AM

Nah. I think that the mini-masters have their own tracks....

I'm pretty sure they do use the same tracks. I've seen nothing on the website to indicate otherwise (although I have been known to miss the obvious in the past :blush: ), and we've been playing these tracks to death to get a feel for them (thanks Rob C, CD will be returned this Thursday :blush: ).

Thanks for the offer TWK, I'll find out for sure now :cheers:

Hopefully Adam will read this and confirm...... :confused:

Simon r
15th-September-2004, 09:32 AM
Toby tell them that it is my pet name for you the fab TWK...
mine mine mine mine....
so there you can see i have grown up with the coming of a new year :hug:

ChrisA
15th-September-2004, 11:21 AM
mine mine mine mine....
so there you can see i have grown up with the coming of a new year :hug:
Nope, you're too late to correct that typo!!!

The 'fab OWK' has stuck (and even if it hasn't I'll still use it :devil: ).

(and a very Happy birthday to ya :cheers: )

Chris

Toby wan Kenobe
15th-September-2004, 05:10 PM
mine mine mine mine....
so there you can see i have grown up with the coming of a new year

Nope, you're too late to correct that typo!!!
The 'fab OWK' has stuck (and even if it hasn't I'll still use it :devil: ).
(and a very Happy birthday to ya :cheers: )
Chris
Birthday Boy, quit while you're behind, or I'll tell the forumites my pet name for you!!! :wink:

The Fab OWK a.k.a TwK

djtrev
15th-September-2004, 06:38 PM
Would you be so kind as to tell me where and when all these dances take place ie Hipsters,t-dance and any others that you can think of or at least give me a website to look for.
Talking of the Tdance,reading between the lines,I think a lot of you want to keep it for yourselves and secretly would hate to see an influx of "outsiders".I hope I am wrong but thats the impression I get. Sounds as if you want it to be very cliquee(?)

ChrisA
15th-September-2004, 06:46 PM
Talking of the Tdance,reading between the lines,I think a lot of you want to keep it for yourselves and secretly would hate to see an influx of "outsiders".I hope I am wrong but thats the impression I get. Sounds as if you want it to be very cliquee(?)

Well, you're obviously referring to my comments on this topic, since I'm the only one to have stated what is, to me at least, obvious and uncontroversial...

... namely that with limitations of space in a small venue, if you get too many people it will get unpleasantly crowded, and will cease to be the relaxed, easy-going gathering that it's been previously.

Why do you insist on interpreting this as being cliquey?

I can't be arsed to neg-rep you for this, but it's precisely this sort of accusation that really p1sses me off - it's untrue, unfair, and ignores the real issue which as I've said several times now ad nauseam, is about space.

In the absence of Dr Who's tardis as a dance venue, what would your proposed solution be?

Chris

PS Check out fusiondance.co.uk for the details.

RobC
15th-September-2004, 08:04 PM
Would you be so kind as to tell me where and when all these dances take place ie Hipsters,t-dance and any others that you can think of or at least give me a website to look for.
www.uk-jive.co.uk and www.lyndaslist.com are good starting points. :wink:

Bangers & Mash
15th-September-2004, 11:06 PM
Don't know if this is the best place for this post - but went to jitterbugs in Edinburgh tonight. Really good fun, lots of good dancers there. recognised a lot of the Ceroc crowd and nice to be thinking footwork as well.

Same forum as a normal ceroc night - beginner, freestyle, intermediate, freestyle.

worth checking out.

<a href="http://www.boogienights.net">www.boogienights.net</a>