PDA

View Full Version : Are there more MJers than Salsa dancers?

Gus
8th-September-2004, 10:52 AM
Just had a blinding light of feeling good (no comments please :really: ).

In an email conversation with Mr Ceroc, he stated just how much Ceroc membership had increased over the last year. Look at Ceroc Scotland .. how many new clubs have been openend over the last few year .. at least 2 or 3. Even in the North west (where things always seem to take longer) we have a couple of new nights and club attendances are definitley on the up. Seems to me we should feel pretty good about the fact that MJ is growing strongly, both in numbers and public perception. I was wondering, are there now more MJers than Salsa dancers ... anyone take a guess, got any facts?

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 10:54 AM
Just had a blinding light of feeling good (no comments please :really: ). I was wondering, are there now more MJers than Salsa dancers ... anyone take a guess, got any facts?

What - in the UK or worldwide....?

Gus
8th-September-2004, 10:57 AM
What - in the UK or worldwide....?

UK you bozzo! Get back to polishing that rifle and just wait until those men with the 'comfy' coats and padded van come to take you away!

Actualy, in NZ it seems like they've got nearly as many Ceroc teachers as sheep ... seems a lot bigger enterprise (proportionaly) than here.

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 11:01 AM
Actualy, in NZ it seems like they've got nearly as many Ceroc teachers as sheep ... seems a lot bigger enterprise (proportionaly) than here.

There is a connection there that I am in no way qualified to explore or research..... :really:

Andreas
8th-September-2004, 11:12 AM

That is quite true. It has it's pros and cons. Many teachers means many different flavours and most of all very good variety. In terms of MJ evolution NZ is certainly on a good track. In having said that, NZ obviously does not have the kind of heritage that the UK has. So it may all simply be an attempt of recognising ones position in the MJ world :D

RE: more MJ than Salsa dancers

Not sure. Obviously I have insufficient experience to gauge the numbers in the UK. For NZ I can say: probably yes. There are a lot of people dancing Salsa but they certainly are not as regular as MJ dancers. So at least in terms of persistence people doing MJ lead the way.
On social dancefloors you often find more Salsa people in one spot than MJ. That could well be because you can fit more people on the floor due to tighter dancing.