PDA

View Full Version : The FIRST against the Wall

Gus
8th-September-2004, 08:46 AM
I think most people have a list in their head of the people who they most want/need to see removed from the Human gene pool. This expression of (justified) eadication is ususl preceeded by the phrase, "Come the revolution the first agauinst the wall wiil be ..." etc .... well, at least it is of you some from Stoke. So .... who do you think (please dont take this too seriously) :)

Dreadful Scathe
8th-September-2004, 09:22 AM
Multi Choice ? Hardly 'FIRST' against the well then is it?? Franck - add 'people who post illogical polls' to the list ;)

skippy
8th-September-2004, 09:23 AM
At first I thought you had lost the polt :confused: but after reading it agian it made sense!! :flower:

jivecat
8th-September-2004, 09:26 AM
I've been meaning to ask this for some time now - what does ODA mean?

Dance Demon
8th-September-2004, 09:28 AM
I've been meaning to ask this for some time now - what does ODA mean?

Official Devils Advocate.........It's above gus's avatar........
:)

jivecat
8th-September-2004, 09:32 AM
How fast can this guy DD type! Have you thought of entering Who Wants to be a Millionaire?? :flower:

jivecat
8th-September-2004, 09:40 AM
I know people are taking this very seriously 'cos the maverick droppers are winning. I would save the first bullet for people who drive for hundreds of miles up the middle of the motorway without once changing lanes even when the left hand lane is empty.

Gus
8th-September-2004, 10:00 AM
I know people are taking this very seriously 'cos the maverick droppers are winning. I would save the first bullet for people who drive for hundreds of miles up the middle of the motorway without once changing lanes even when the left hand lane is empty.

BU**ER ... knew I forgot someone ... good call Messr JiveCat. Will add to the next poll, for those who are forced to sit through a Pop Idol auditon for 24 hours non-stop (a bullet is too good for that lot).

Dance Demon
8th-September-2004, 10:11 AM
How fast can this guy DD type! Have you thought of entering Who Wants to be a Millionaire?? :flower:

I erm..*cough sough* thought about it *cough* once........
:wink:

Lounge Lizard
8th-September-2004, 10:17 AM
BUILDERS & TRADESMEN!!!!! :what: Thanks pal as your local friendly forum builder I fit into that catagory
Builders are FAR more uesfull than ODA :wink:
pp

Gus
8th-September-2004, 10:21 AM
BUILDERS & TRADESMEN!!!!! :what: Thanks pal as your local friendly forum builder I fit into that catagory
Builders are FAR more uesfull than ODA :wink:
pp

Yeah ... but when I start mixing it it stays mixed and it gets mixed when I say it will .... AND I dont add 50% on to the bill at the end of the job :angry: Shall we take a straw poll ... who would say that builders are timely, cost effective, adn realiable ... and those who think not (LL excepted of course) :devil: .... and you could have voted for someone as well as ODA :(

Stuart M
8th-September-2004, 10:34 AM
Where's the option for "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Marketing Division" ? :D

Oh wait, it says "see Microsoft" in the dictionary...

Gadget
8th-September-2004, 10:41 AM
.... and you could have voted for someone as well as ODA :(
Erm... if it's the FIRST, then how can you pick two? :confused: {:innocent:}

TheTramp
8th-September-2004, 10:43 AM
Multi Choice ? Hardly 'FIRST' against the well then is it?? Franck - add 'people who post illogical polls' to the list ;)
You can just exercise your right to only vote for one thing of course. Maybe smurfs should be added to the list :rolleyes: :whistle:

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 10:51 AM
You can just exercise your right to only vote for one thing of course. Maybe smurfs should be added to the list :rolleyes: :whistle:

Trampy

First against the walll....well, if you put the first against the wall, tehn make the others line up in front then....

Providing you have a powerful enough weapon (Magnum, 7.62SLR etc), and they are all at the same height, you could easily shoot three or four with the same round....

Just a thought....... (goes back and polishes high powered rifle whilst listening to the voices in his head...) :sick: :sick:

jivecat
8th-September-2004, 10:55 AM
Erm... if it's the FIRST, then how can you pick two? :confused: {:innocent:}

Some folks don't listen no matter how many times they get told. :wink:

Lounge Lizard
8th-September-2004, 11:01 AM
Yeah ... but when I start mixing it it stays mixed and it gets mixed when I say it will .... AND I dont add 50% on to the bill at the end of the job :angry: Shall we take a straw poll ... who would say that builders are timely, cost effective, adn realiable ... and those who think not (LL excepted of course) :devil: .... and you could have voted for someone as well as ODA :(well for an extra 50% I could add some more selections :whistle:
You think builders working in your house are bad - try employing them
I have so many serious horror stories but still have to defend the faith

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 11:05 AM

Well, you could say that the first against the wall is teh one you really wanna get, and the rest are just there as a bonus....

Of course using the Gordy baby patent (tm) (C) shotting four people with one bullet method, you would need to put 'the first against the wall' as the last person (furthest away from the wall) to esnure that they get the bullet....

If you had four people in a row and the person who would be first against the wall is actually against the wall then the bullet might not quite make it through three others and get him (or her)...

Now stop annoying me otherwise I shall be testing my high powered scope in the direction of felines....... :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
8th-September-2004, 11:05 AM

I could exercise that right yes, however, I can't be assured that everyone else would ... so however you look at it, its an illogical poll Captain.

Everybody loves Smurfs, except Will :) I want to know why LAWYERS arent on the list :D.

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 11:06 AM

Well, you could say that the first against the wall is the one you really wanna get, and the rest are just there as a bonus....

Of course using the Gordy baby patent (tm) (C) shotting four people with one bullet method, you would need to put 'the first against the wall' as the last person (furthest away from the wall) to ensure that they get the bullet.... :whistle:

If you had four people in a row and the person who would be first against the wall is actually against the wall then the bullet might not quite make it through three others and get him (or her)... :sick:

Now stop annoying me otherwise I shall be testing my high powered scope in the direction of felines....... :wink: :whistle:

skippy
i think we are all getting a little carried away!! : :confused:
I think that we should worry about ourselves!! or we might be put against the WALL!! :eek:
PS I'm not a builder, plumber or politician!!! :rofl:
I sell cheese for a living... :worthy:

skippy
I think that we should worry about ourselves!! or we might be put against the WALL!! :eek:

Dreadful Scathe
8th-September-2004, 11:10 AM
maybe we should have a nicer poll 'Who would be first up against the bike sheds ?'

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 11:12 AM

Blessed are the cheesemakers...

The Cheesemakers...?

Well, it's not meant to be taken literally - I think it refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.......

:waycool:

John S
8th-September-2004, 11:19 AM
Ahh - NOW I know who my fellow-Fifer Skippy really is!

Fantastic cheese shop, too - best in Scotland - except that personally I hate the stuff myself, so it's up against the wall, Skippy! (OMG, did I really type that???? What was I thinking of????:what: :what: )

skippy
8th-September-2004, 11:27 AM
Cheeky, I don't do bike sheds prefer bus shelters!!

Gus
8th-September-2004, 11:30 AM
IEverybody loves Smurfs, except Will :) I want to know why LAWYERS arent on the list :D.
Funnily enough on my first draft they were ... then I remembered LilyB ... would you REALY want to get on the wrong side of her :really:

skippy
8th-September-2004, 11:30 AM
Ahh - NOW I know who my fellow-Fifer Skippy really is!

Fantastic cheese shop, too - best in Scotland - except that personally I hate the stuff myself, so it's up against the wall, Skippy! (OMG, did I really type that???? What was I thinking of????:what: :what: )

Hi there
Yes it is simply the best in the area but also have shops in Glasgow and Edinburgh :clap: (whoops hope I don't get charged for advertising) :worthy:
Nice to speak to you too John. :hug:

PS I thought everyone knew it was me! :flower:

TheTramp
8th-September-2004, 11:40 AM
Right. Cheese-sellers up against the wall. And people with thumbs!!

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 11:46 AM
And people with thumbs!! Trampy

What about people who live in Fenland (Cambridgeshire and Norfolk) - they have thumbs it's just that they haven't learnt how to use opposable thumbs yet.

Must really annoy them as they see people on TV using their thumbs everyday........ :whistle:

Lou
8th-September-2004, 11:47 AM
Blessed are the cheesemakers...
:mad: :angry: :whistle: :rolleyes: :na:

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 12:03 PM
:mad: :angry: :whistle: :rolleyes: :na:

You know you love it really....... :devil:

Andy McGregor
8th-September-2004, 01:09 PM
What about people who live in Fenland (Cambridgeshire and Norfolk) - they have thumbs it's just that they haven't learnt how to use opposable thumbs yet.

What confuses them is that they have two thumbs on one hand and 6 fingers on the other - unlike their parents who have another combination: but they are cousins so you'd expect them to be similar :devil:

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 01:25 PM
What confuses them is that they have two thumbs on one hand and 6 fingers on the other - unlike their parents who have another combination: but they are cousins so you'd expect them to be similar :devil:

I'd like for you to meet my wife and my sister - and there's only one woman stood there...!!!!!!! :really: :really: :really: :eek: :eek: :eek: :sick:

DavidY
8th-September-2004, 01:36 PM
Where's the option for "Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Marketing Division" ? ~snip~in the dictionary...Is that a dictionary, or the Encyclopaedia Galactica? :whistle:

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 01:57 PM
Is that a dictionary, or the Encyclopaedia Galactica? :whistle:

:yeah:

baldrick
8th-September-2004, 03:49 PM
Is that a dictionary, or the Encyclopaedia Galactica? :whistle:
Or are you just pleased to be here?

Sparkles
8th-September-2004, 04:18 PM
maybe we should have a nicer poll 'Who would be first up against the bike sheds ?'
Fantastic idea! :worthy:
... especially seeing as given the choice I'd probably put myself against the wall first in Gus's poll... not a happy thought. :what: :sad:
DS, your version is much more pleasant to ponder over :whistle: :rolleyes: :wink:

Gordon J Pownall
8th-September-2004, 04:44 PM
DS, your version is much more pleasant to ponder over :whistle: :rolleyes: :wink:

Still up for that dance then - did we agree a location (or will a wall / bike shed do...???) :blush: :hug: :wink:

Sparkles
8th-September-2004, 05:18 PM
Still up for that dance then - did we agree a location (or will a wall / bike shed do...???) :blush: :hug: :wink:
I'll dance with you anywhere you like :drool: :grin:
not sure if I'll make it to Chigwell at the weekend or not at the moment though - I was under the impression you were coming to the last round of the Jivemasters, but you never showed up... :tears:
prefer bike sheds to wall though :wink: :whistle:

philsmove
8th-September-2004, 05:36 PM
What about people who live in Fenland (Cambridgeshire and Norfolk)

Care full I born there

Anyhow No use putting them against the wall there aren’t many- just ditches and Dykes

skippy
8th-September-2004, 06:11 PM
I'll dance with you anywhere you like :drool: :grin:
not sure if I'll make it to Chigwell at the weekend or not at the moment though - I was under the impression you were coming to the last round of the Jivemasters, but you never showed up... :tears:
prefer bike sheds to wall though :wink: :whistle:

I woman after my own heart. bike sheds are great!! :rofl: :yum:
and as for thumbs we would not get much done without them!!

and i never used them last time we danced TRAMPY....... :wink: :flower:

under par
8th-September-2004, 06:48 PM

You would have to try and beat me to it jivecat......EVIL people all of them!
especially MIDDLE LANE HOGGERS when the road ahead is empty..

I also would vote a bullet for all BIG ISSUE vendors.....BUT actually a better way would be for lots of bricks to thrown at BIG ISSUE sellers........................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................. and if they survive the stoning the could build themselves a home with the remaining bricks :yeah:

Gordon J Pownall
10th-September-2004, 04:02 PM
Care full I born there

Anyhow No use putting them against the wall there aren’t many- just ditches and Dykes

aaaarrr........ha ya gotta loight boiy...?

Andy McGregor
10th-September-2004, 04:17 PM
aaaarrr........ha ya gotta loight boiy...?

arrrr we rounding these light buoys to port? :confused:

Gordon J Pownall
10th-September-2004, 04:20 PM
arrrr we rounding these light buoys to port? :confused:

:confused: port.....???

oh...err....yes please - a small glass (after all, the sun is past the yardarm.....).......

G... :cheers:

Andy McGregor
10th-September-2004, 04:36 PM
:confused: port.....???

oh...err....yes please - a small glass (after all, the sun is past the yardarm.....).......

G... :cheers:

If you keep a small yardarm strapped to your gin bottle the sun goes past it as you pour :waycool:

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2004, 04:43 PM
'Oi!! Water At The Mark You Boys, I Have An Overlap'

Andy McGregor
10th-September-2004, 04:57 PM

No water, you established your overlap inside two boat lengths of the mark!

And how did you know the boat I race is called Oi!? (http://www.photoboxgallery.com/yachtshots/816782)

under par
10th-September-2004, 04:57 PM
:confused: :eek:

Lynn
10th-September-2004, 05:20 PM
OK - how about telesales calls for things you don't want (esp those prerecorded ones)? Very intrusive - more so than spamming. (Must get round to finding out how to get my number removed) Very few things really annoy me - but they really do! :angry:

Andy McGregor
10th-September-2004, 05:29 PM
OK - how about telesales calls for things you don't want (esp those prerecorded ones)? Very intrusive - more so than spamming. (Must get round to finding out how to get my number removed) Very few things really annoy me - but they really do! :angry:

You just go here (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) and register :waycool:

Zebra Woman
10th-September-2004, 06:23 PM
No water, you established your overlap inside two boat lengths of the mark!

And how did you know the boat I race is called Oi!? (http://www.photoboxgallery.com/yachtshots/816782)

Oi! I wouldn't have said I had one if it hadn't been established it at the two boat lengths circle - I'm not that knid of sailor. So are you letting me in? :devil:

Really you, helming? Waycool :waycool: :waycool: :waycool: :waycool:
My kinda boat :drool: :drool:
Really called 'Oi'? :confused:
That's just too amazing :rofl:

You can pass me a glass port as I overtake you :cheers:

Andy McGregor
10th-September-2004, 07:10 PM
Oi! I wouldn't have said I had one if it hadn't been established it at the two boat lengths circle - I'm not that knid of sailor. So are you letting me in? :devil:

You can pass me a glass port as I overtake you :cheers:

Come on in, but no touching.

I'll pass the port to you as we go past on the beat.

Really you, helming?
My kinda boat

I'm usually bow or pit - but I'll helm if you do my job up front :wink:

Really called 'Oi'? :confused:
That's just too amazing :rofl:

Follow the link (http://www.photoboxgallery.com/yachtshots/816782) and look down the pictures on the right hand side. Oi! is 4th to 6th picture from the top - the one with Oi! on the side in massive letters - but I'm not in that picture, there was a pretty girl in my place on the boat at this years Cowes week - good choice of replacement!

drathzel
10th-September-2004, 07:15 PM
people who phone and ask you to do surveys or try to sell you things

Zebra Woman
11th-September-2004, 11:11 AM
Come on in, but no touching.

Thank you kind sirs, I wouldn't dream of touching, we all know where that leads....

I'll pass the port to you as we go past on the beat.

I'll take it now if you don't mind while we're close. Ooooh! The whole bottle? Are you sure? You're very kind. Thanks.... :cheers:

See you at the windward mark..catch me if you can :devil:

I'm usually bow or pit - but I'll helm if you do my job up front :wink:

No no ! You stick to what you're good at Andy, :wink: I helm normally anyway. What's Gordy's job? Do tell...

Andy McGregor
11th-September-2004, 11:36 AM
What's Gordy's job? Do tell...

Gimp.

Zebra Woman
11th-September-2004, 11:52 AM
Excellent :D Is that Gimp with cabin boy duties?

I could do with a cabin boy over here :devil:

Andy McGregor
11th-September-2004, 12:13 PM
Excellent :D Is that Gimp with cabin boy duties?

Gimps aren't usually allowed in the cabin. They're kept in a sail bag with the mooring lines, fenders, spare sails, anchor, boat hook, etc, in the locker under the starboard side of the cockpit - although there is access through the heads if we need the services of a gimp when we're not racing :innocent:

jivecat
11th-September-2004, 12:36 PM

:yeah: They always call just as I'm rushing about trying to get ready to go out. Or when I'm just about to eat supper. But then there isn't really a convenient time for having your privacy invaded by the evil forces of capitalism, is there? I used to be really rude to them until I began to feel sorry for the operatives who are just trying to make an honest buck, especially the ones who are obviously in a call centre somewhere just outside Delhi.

Thanks Andy McG for the link. I did get my number taken off some time ago but they've gradually been creeping back in.

I've not encountered a pre-recorded one. Not much satisfaction to be gained in being rude to one of them! Do you think they've introduced them to protect their employees from nasty, rude people or are they just.... cheaper than employees?

DavidY
11th-September-2004, 01:01 PM
Thanks Andy McG for the link. I did get my number taken off some time ago but they've gradually been creeping back in.

I've not encountered a pre-recorded one.I used the link to register some time ago, but like Jivecat I'm finding a few creeping back in.

Also had a new type this week - a pre-recorded call that's left (presumably automatically) a message on my answering machine.

Here's the question - if I've registered for the telephone preference service, and these companies still call me, is there any action I can take (especially as I've now got a recording of their call...)?

Zebra Woman
11th-September-2004, 05:09 PM
Gimps aren't usually allowed in the cabin. They're kept in a sail bag with the mooring lines, fenders, spare sails, anchor, boat hook, etc, in the locker under the starboard side of the cockpit - although there is access through the heads if we need the services of a gimp when we're not racing :innocent:

Aha! I can see you run a very tight ship Andy. :worthy: :worthy:

Myself, I like my Gimp to be wearing a tight harness on a trapeze wire ( not much else) , knees tucked under my armpits, spinnaker sheet both in hands, playing it like a good 'un.

Oh yeah, and of course he does everything I say straight away. Very difficult to get hold of them these days.... :confused:

drathzel
11th-September-2004, 05:13 PM
Oh yeah, and of course he does everything I say straight away. Very difficult to get hold of them these days.... :confused:

:worthy: :yeah:

Lynn
11th-September-2004, 05:21 PM
I used to be really rude to them until I began to feel sorry for the operatives who are just trying to make an honest buck, especially the ones who are obviously in a call centre somewhere just outside Delhi. :yeah: I just say straight away that I don't buy anything over the phone. They can't argue with that or try and sell you whatever it is. Its brief and polite. But I still get annoyed. I think that someone could be sitting waiting for an important call, or may just have had devasting news - and then are interupted by one of these calls. Grrr!

I've not encountered a pre-recorded one. We have been getting these about one a week now. And one of them I couldn't hang up - every time I picked up the phone the message was still going on. Even more annoying - tying up the phone line! :angry:

Lynn
11th-September-2004, 05:34 PM
You just go here (http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/) and register :waycool: Thanks! :flower: :hug:

philsmove
11th-September-2004, 05:53 PM
The telephone preference thing will dramatically reduce unwanted phone calls but does not stop calls from overseas marketing companies

Even if you have registered it does not stop people doing “surveys” :sad:

So you need to stop companies finding out you number

Go ex-directory

When ordering things that require you to give your phone number, make sure you tick the box saying you do not want to contacted

If you do get a nuisance call don’t get into a conversation say “sorry no thank you “ and hang up immediately

Modern phones can display who is calling you. My mobile will even show me a picture of them (useful is you have several girlfriends with the same name) :whistle:

If the phone does not recognise the number I think some can be programmed to make an answer machine take the call

Tiggerbabe
11th-September-2004, 06:41 PM
My mobile will even show me a picture of them (useful is you have several girlfriends with the same name) :whistle:

:rofl: :rofl: You can probably get it to ring differently for different girlfriends too, Phil.

drathzel
12th-September-2004, 05:35 PM
:rofl: :rofl: You can probably get it to ring differently for different girlfriends too, Phil.

mmm... yeah ... not liking the thought of that one.... especially as dating is hard enough!!! :sick: