PDA

View Full Version : Logging out

filthycute
4th-September-2004, 01:15 PM
Anyone else having any trouble logging out? Somehow we've managed to get me logged in permenantly. Anyone shine any light on this?

filthycute x x

DavidY
4th-September-2004, 04:18 PM
Dear Filthycute,

Not sure why you can't log out - I tried and could log out and back in again OK.

Someone out there probably understands this much better than I do, but here's my attempt to help.

I believe that the forum (like many websites) stores details like who you are in "cookies". I think that by taking away the cookie, it will forget who you are.

I tried the following and it seemed to work - but I think it may only work on a Windows PC running Internet Explorer...
* Make a note of these instructions so you can follow them with Internet Explorer closed down. (Easiest way is probably to copy and paste this post into another application like Wordpad).
* Close down Internet Explorer
* In My Computer, use search to find a folder called "Cookies" (on my old PC it's in the Windows folder)
* Open up this Cookies folder, then in this folder, search for a file with a name of *cerocscotland*.* (Note the three * characters.) On my PC this file is called something like "david@www.cerocscotland[1].txt".
* Rename this file (renaming is safer than deleting, in case something goes wrong). I changed a "c" to a "z" to make mine "david@www.zerocscotland[1].txt"
* Try opening Internet Explorer again, and open the forum and see who it thinks you are! With any luck you'll be able to choose who to log in as. I'd also try logging out and in again to check this works.
* If this doesn't work :blush: , I thikn you should be able to go back and rename the cookie file to the name it originally had (you may need to delete the one it just created) - you'll be back where you started but at least it shouldn't be any worse than it was before. (and await advice from someone who understands more than I do...)

Hope this helps...
David

Lynn
4th-September-2004, 06:22 PM
I believe that the forum (like many websites) stores details like who you are in "cookies". I think that by taking away the cookie, it will forget who you are.
When I log out it says 'All cookies cleared' so I thought it didn't keep the cookies?

Someone out there probably understands this much better than I do... A lot of people probably understand it better than I do... :blush: now where are those cookies...

*crunching, chomping sound* Crumbs!

DavidY
4th-September-2004, 07:34 PM
When I log out it says 'All cookies cleared' so I thought it didn't keep the cookies?It does... but if filthycute can't log out, my guess is that the cookie needs to be manually got rid of.

filthycute
3rd-October-2004, 10:52 PM
AAAAARRRRGHHHH,

Not only can i not log out....again....but when i try and read a thread with say 8 posts, it only shows 4...??

Whats that all about.

FC x x

MartinHarper
3rd-October-2004, 11:07 PM
What web browser and operating system are you using?

under par
4th-October-2004, 12:38 AM
AAAAARRRRGHHHH,

Not only can i not log out....again....but when i try and read a thread with say 8 posts, it only shows 4...??

Whats that all about.

FC x x

Are you using this years threads with last years browser! :whistle: :wink:

Andy McGregor
4th-October-2004, 11:01 AM
Since I upgraded to Windows XP Professional I can't log out either. I got round this by creating another user in XP. When you go to that other user you can log on as a different user.

TheTramp
4th-October-2004, 11:16 AM
Since I upgraded to Windows XP Professional I can't log out either. I got round this by creating another user in XP. When you go to that other user you can log on as a different user.
I use XP Pro, and I don't have any logging out problems.....

Who wants to log out anyhow??? :D

Trampy

drathzel
4th-October-2004, 02:25 PM
I use XP Pro, and I don't have any logging out problems.....

Who wants to log out anyhow??? :D

Trampy

I'm XP at home and Win 98 in work and dont have any problems logging out although (and please dont anyone ever remind me of this) I agree with Tramp why would you want to log out? :eek: :confused:

filthycute
4th-October-2004, 04:27 PM
Still can't get logged out or see the last posts made.....not sure whats happening. I'll leave it a bit to see if it sorts itself out. :sad:

RE: why would you want to log out?.....

.....well cause James can't get logged in. simple really :rolleyes:

filthycute x x

filthycute
4th-October-2004, 04:36 PM
strange one this.........If i go onto the '7 sins party' thread it says 'welome jive brummie' at the top. Then i posted and it posted as me.....then i was able to see all the posts.

Now i can't ...AGAIN! :eek:

Is the whole world going mad?....or just me ? :sick: :whistle:

fc x

Dreadful Scathe
4th-October-2004, 05:36 PM
There is nothing to stop you connecting as different people using internet explorer - you just need to have seperate windows open (both must be started from the icon though, selecting NEW from IE creates a copy which would use the same cookies). If its not letting you logout successfully then read this to find out how to clear cookies (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/customizing/clearcache.mspx) and try again :)