PDA

View Full Version : Pete Phiilips Drops Ettiquette notes(TM)

Andreas
4th-September-2004, 10:06 AM
Firstly, I don't know it. So is somebody able to point me possibly to a link :blush:

Secondly, is there such thing for moves other than drops? I don't mean arials because most of them require the partner to know anyway. E.g. close moves, twisty moves, spinning moves?

Cheers,
Andreas

Lounge Lizard
4th-September-2004, 10:28 AM
Dance-floor tips for Drops & Seducers
Pease read and help keep our social dance floor safe

FOR THE GUYS
1 ALWAYS Ask your partner if they're ok with drops, seducers, lifts etc. (Before you try them!)
2 ALWAYS Listen to your partner and respect her wishes
3 ALWAYS Avoid moves that twist, bend or pull on your partners back (Check First)
4 ALWAYS Protect your ladies head if you are tipping her back on a crowded floor
5 ALWAYS Keep your back straight and strong throughout the move
6 DO Make sure your partner hears & understands your verbal signals
7 DO Warm up before you attempt these moves
8 DO Keep the move simple, stylish, gentle and safe
9 DO Tell you partner if you are going to lead her into a drop (especially advanced moves)
10 DO Make sure your partner knows and is happy with the move
11 DO Try to lead your partner into a clear space Don’t send her crashing into other dancers
12 DO Be aware (& beware) of the other dancers around you. Keep it close on a busy floor
13 DO Learn the move with a regular partner before you practice on a stranger
14 DO Attend classes & workshops to learn drops, seducers, lifts etc. properly
15 DO Use simple moves until you are comfortable with your partner & she with you
16 DO Tell you partner clearly if you do or don’t dance these type of moves
17 DO Tell your partner if it feels wrong or hurts your muscles, back etc.
18 DO Maintain a steady and strong stance throughout the move
19 DO Keep the move within your centre of gravity. (If you don’t understand this ask).
20 DO Remember these moves require close contact. Dry shirts, deodorant etc are a MUST
21 NEVER Do airsteps or floor level drops on a busy dance floor
22 NEVER Lead a move that causes the ladies head to whiplash
23 NEVER Never crunch or impact the ladies back or head on to your knee (or the floor etc.)
24 NEVER Lower the ladies head below your waist level on a crowded dance floor
25 NEVER Try moves beyond your (or your partners) ability or physical limitations
26 DON’T Try advanced moves with beginners. This does not impress anyone!!!
27 DON’T Copy the guy next to you. His moves probably look great because he practices!
28 DON’T Assume it's ok Some ladies only do these moves with selected partners - respect this
29 DON’T Rely on strength, there is no substitute for skill, technique and ability
30 DON’T Assume it is ok to dance these moves-Your partner may be suffering from a injury

FOR THE GIRLS
1 ALWAYS Tell you partner clearly if you do or don’t dance drops, seducers, lifts etc.
2 ALWAYS Make sure your partner hears & understands your requests
3 ALWAYS Try to support your own weight (on the leg nearest to your partner if possible)
4 ALWAYS Tell your partner if it feels wrong or hurts your muscles, back etc.
5 DO Tell your partner if you have not warmed up or are not ready for drops etc.
6 DO Make sure (whenever possible), your partner knows and is happy with the move
7 DO Attend classes & workshops to learn the move(s) properly
8 DO Be aware (and beware) of the other dancers around you
9 DO Try to avoid crashing into other dancers - keep it close on a crowded floor
10 DO Tell him if you don't hear or understand his signals. If in doubt let go (before the drop!)
11 DO Try to hold onto something firm (behave– this is serious), but not his neck
12 NEVER Anticipate the move. If the guy cant lead it he should not be dancing it
13 NEVER Dance any move, at any time, with anybody if you feel at risk or if it hurts
14 NEVER Throw your head back. It's the first thing that hit's the floor in a fall + risk of whiplash
15 NEVER Never Never throw yourself into a move - allow your partner to gently lead the move
16 DON’T Try moves beyond your (or your partners) ability or physical limitations
17 DON’T Trust a man. (I'm referring to when you are on the dance floor!). But……………
18 DON’T Be afraid to say no if you consider a move (or a dancer) unsafe
19 DON’T Assume it is ok to dance these moves-Your partner may be suffering from a injury
20 DON’T Lean your body-weight away from the man-Try to keep arms & legs close in to your body

Tell the organiser if there is a 'menace' on the dance floor- Organisers: deal with the menace!

This has been prepared by Peter Phillips, the advise is given free and it's sole intention is to make our social dance floor safer and increase our enjoyment of modern jive in all it's genre's.
Please don’t be a menace.

Peter is a leading teacher of Drops & Seducers and holds comprehensive workshops for intermediate and advanced moves throughout the country.
He can offer an evening class at any venue in the South for safe dance floor dips.

For further information on Drops & seducers or If you would like copies of this leaflet for your venue, please contact

Peter Phillips:
dropinnjive@btinternet.com - 01323 760700 or 07767358079

Andreas
4th-September-2004, 11:09 AM
Thanks Peter. That is a very good list and I second pretty much all of its points. There is really only one point that I find impossible to realise: guys #10.

This point only works for REALLY complicated moves. Otherwise I'd have to ask before each move I do. Sure there are similarities between UK and NZ Ceroc/MJ. However, a lot of the names are very different and add to this that I chane the moves to suit wherever the lady moves, I could never say that the move I start will be the move I finish. Even if the lady knows the move I want to do if her weiht/balance is wrong for me to do it it'll become a different move. Now with her 'knowing' what I want to do she is very likely to finish it herself and put both of us in danger.

I can see where you come from by listing this point and totally aree with the idea. But I think that is where the guys actually have to be very SENSIBLE and RESPONSIBLE in what they do, thus avoiding dangers and discomfort.

Funny how much one can argue about possibly the most harmless point in the whole list :D

TheTramp
4th-September-2004, 11:34 AM
Have to say that I agree with Andreas on this point.

It's very rare that ladies will know every dip I do. And without either private lessons, or workshops, or whatever, they won't.

So, the progression on 'new' dips, is firstly to find out if my partner is happy to do dips in general. Then maybe throw in a couple of the really easy ones to make sure that she is taking her own weight, not throwing herself into them etc. Ie. while she may not know the exact move, she knows how to do dips/drops the right way generally. If I'm happy, then I'll try other things, if she isn't doing the easy ones correctly, then I'll stick with those, or stop doing dips with that lady totally.

Of course, there are still plenty of moves that I would only do with someone that I'd practised them with.

Trampy

jiveoholic
4th-September-2004, 11:47 AM
Leaflet also available on line at www.jiveoholic.org.uk under help then safety by permission.

Lounge Lizard
4th-September-2004, 01:02 PM
sorry guys, know what you mean, the intention was to cover as many pointers as possible and this was in immportant point (especially for beginners or advanced moves like the single arm crucifix where the lady takes all her weight on her neck ) and needed inclusion but I agree no one can know all the moves
However it does fit in with the other points.....
when i say happy with the move i dont always mean she must know every drop in the book (who does I know I dont) but on the principle of if you cant lead it dont do it, the 'move' in this context could be a dip drop etc. that is within your and your partners capabilities and suited to the dance enviroment.
An experienced dancer can cope with most moves whereas a beginner is limited to simple moves untill their body balance is correct.
Or
take a ballroom drop is ok on many floors but not on crowded floors!!! - why do men have to drop ladies with their heads about an inch from the floor on a really crowded floor even the best dancers do this and I never understand why.

Trampy has summed it up, just wish more dancers would do the same
pp

spindr
4th-September-2004, 03:18 PM
why do men have to drop ladies with their heads about an inch from the floor on a really crowded floor even the best dancers do this and I never understand why.

Sorry Peter, you're wrong here - the best dancers don't!

SpinDr.

Gadget
4th-September-2004, 10:27 PM
10 DO Make sure your partner knows and is happy with the move
My take on this was not that your partner had to know the exact move in question, but dip, drop, lean, suicide drop, deep dip, lean away, jump... or whatever 'classification' you coud be confident would not be misinterpreted.

MartinHarper
18th-October-2004, 06:06 PM
Does this lot apply to "leans" too?

Simon r
18th-October-2004, 06:42 PM
take a ballroom drop is ok on many floors but not on crowded floors!!! - why do men have to drop ladies with their heads about an inch from the floor on a really crowded floor even the best dancers do this and I never understand why.

pp
:yeah:
Comps maybe but you always get the chap that decides he must show off on the floor by puting the lady in such a bad position.

Jon L
18th-October-2004, 10:56 PM
:yeah:
Comps maybe but you always get the chap that decides he must show off on the floor by puting the lady in such a bad position.

In otherwords being a twit :really: I know of injury that occured with someone last year at Camber, who did Peter's class, despite very clear instructions from Peter that anyone with a rotating partner is not attempt the move (it was the single arm crucifix). :mad:

Monika
19th-October-2004, 04:22 AM
Peter
...just wanted to say a huge THANK YOU :) :hug: for sharing these notes again - cannot be repeated too often and some useful hints for both leaders and followers. I injured my back during dancing in April and despite months of treatment and trying to be careful I've still got a long way to go to full recovery and devastated when someone doesn't respect when I say I cannot do dips or drops just yet (=very very few - thankfully) but with things like this you don't always get a second chance so incredibly important that we encourage each other to be careful and just have lot's of fun dancing
Happy Dancing :flower: :grin: