PDA

View Full Version : The Strap Thing...

Sheepman
25th-August-2004, 12:55 PM
So summer is nearly over, and the midriff thing seemed to be a storm in a teacup, because AFAICS they have been noticeable mainly through their absence, until yesterday that is :sick:

As I walked through the local park, there was this woman lying back on one of the seats, inspecting and scratching her midriff. As I quickly averted my gaze, I estimated that she was about 3 stone (that's 19Kg for the youngsters).
When I say "she" I'm referring to the overhang - and that's even though the woman was lying back :sick:

But moving on quickly to the dancing, there seems to have been an outbreak of a new phenomenom at Ealing lately, of ladies taking the plunge.
Now Mrs. Sheepy will confirm that she will get more dances if she has a plunging neckline (how shallow these men are!) But in the last 2 weeks, the plunging seems to have gone to extraordinary depths. If I have a rather dazed and fixed stare into my partners eyes, it could be that there is just too much happening "elsewhere" and I need to concentrate! :blush:

There is an associated problem too, the unstable straps. One partner accused me of undressing her yesterday :really: (OK I do know her quite well) as almost every other move lead to an ultra thin strap falling off. I've never analysed which moves are likely to cause this to happen, but it seems there are a lot of them! (I did the gentlemanly thing, and offered her a safety pin :whistle: )

Has this outbreak affected other venues? Will any men admit that they consciously make an effort to dance with the women that reveal the most?

Greg

ChrisA
25th-August-2004, 01:00 PM
If I have a rather dazed and fixed stare into my partners eyes, it could be that there is just too much happening "elsewhere" and I need to concentrate! :blush:

ISTR you claimed this had never happened to you, Greg :devil:

Or am I misunderstanding you? :whistle:

Chris

Andy McGregor
25th-August-2004, 01:37 PM
Has this outbreak affected other venues? Will any men admit that they consciously make an effort to dance with the women that reveal the most?

Greg

I think there's a completely bare arms thing that's started recently. Last week I walked into Ealing at the end of the first lesson. There were loads of women over and sitting in a long line. From a certain angle all you could see was a mass of bare arms. These bare arms are probably caused by the strap thing - and, yes, I have had to pin up one of my partners straps recently as I somehow got my hand/finger caught in a loop created by a falling strap :eek:

On the subject of dancing with women that show the most flesh. Speaking personally, I might notice them more but I don't dance with them any more than I do with more modestly dressed women.

Sheepman
25th-August-2004, 02:17 PM
Or am I misunderstanding you? :whistle: :rofl: :rofl:
Yes you are misunderstanding me :angry: Do I need to spell it out? :whistle:

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
25th-August-2004, 02:21 PM
, the plunging seems to have gone to extraordinary depths.

Is that a pun ? :nice:

ChrisA
25th-August-2004, 03:53 PM
:rofl: :rofl:
Yes you are misunderstanding me :angry: Do I need to spell it out? :whistle:

Not at all.

But I do think that if a lady takes the trouble to ensure that there's plenty happening :drool: , a chap should make sure he is suitably appreciative. :whistle:

Chris

Lynn
25th-August-2004, 05:03 PM
Re the strap thing - its bad enough having to toss hair out of the way (and I wear glasses so have to rebalance those every so often) - straps just add a complication when dancing as unless its something really fitted they will fall down. So if I am going for straps, I opt for adjustable ones that don't fall down (well not too often!)

Andy McGregor
25th-August-2004, 05:31 PM
Re the strap thing - its bad enough having to toss hair out of the way (and I wear glasses so have to rebalance those every so often) - straps just add a complication when dancing as unless its something really fitted they will fall down. So if I am going for straps, I opt for adjustable ones that don't fall down (well not too often!)

This reminds me, there is a certain kind of female dancer that has a high maintenance outfit/hairstyle. You reach for their hand and, just as you get to it, they whip it away to adjust their hair, reposition a strap, pull their skirt straight or their top down, etc, etc. In the end you find youself joining in, either to pop that wayward strap back in place or, if you're feeling devilish to slide it out of place :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
25th-August-2004, 05:33 PM
There is an associated problem too, the unstable straps ~snip ~ almost every other move lead to an ultra thin strap falling off.
I have a lovely dress that does this - it's a total pain :sick: Looks great when you're standing, but start to dance and the straps constantly fall down. I cut off one of the little ribbons that are inside (you know the ones girls, they always end up sticking out when you don't want them to :angry: but you're frightened to cut them off in case you need them when you hang the top/dress/skirt up :blush: ) Asked someone to tie the two straps together (at the back) with a lovely little bow - perfect solution and the ribbon was exactly the right colour :clap: :clap:

Has this outbreak affected other venues?
Dunno about dance venues, but the guys in the office were at a 30th birthday party on Friday and did comment (more than once) that there seemed to be a lot of cleavage on show :whistle: :whistle:

TheTramp
25th-August-2004, 06:44 PM
Dunno about dance venues, but the guys in the office were at a 30th birthday party on Friday and did comment (more than once) that there seemed to be a lot of cleavage on show :whistle: :whistle:
I've just got my copy of the Soutport DVD. I can forward them a copy of the Scintillating Sinners if you like :whistle:

Trampy

Tiggerbabe
25th-August-2004, 06:48 PM
I can forward them a copy of the Scintillating Sinners if you like :whistle:

Nah, sure they wouldn't want to see that :whistle: :whistle:

angelique
25th-August-2004, 08:42 PM
This thread has made interesting reading but a wicked thought crossed my mind.................. :wink:
To stop all this "shock horror" thing going on with bare flesh when a hand trails across an exposed midriff, why not all agree to dance.....BUTT NAKED!! :rofl: :rofl:

Now THATS a thought....NOT! :clap: :clap:

Andy McGregor
25th-August-2004, 08:55 PM

No, it's definitely a thought ...

.. just a very scary one :whistle:

Sparkles
26th-August-2004, 12:02 AM
At the Jive Bar tonight, as the taxi dancers made their way to the front of the room to be introduced, the DJ played 'The Stripper' :rolleyes:.
Being one of the taxi dancers in question I, of course, went and 'shot' the DJ afterwards...
... I think she's learnt her lesson and next time will give me plenty of warning that she's going to play it so that I can make sure I've got my stockings on :whistle:
S. x

Bill
2nd-September-2004, 04:03 PM
To stop all this "shock horror" thing going on with bare flesh when a hand trails across an exposed midriff, why not all agree to dance.....BUTT NAKED!! :rofl: :rofl:

Maybe Ceroc HQ will follow this up as a new holiday ....there's the Barcelona and Las palmas ones, some salsa etc....... maybe next is the Naturist Ceroc Holiday. Dancing and an all=over tan :D ;)

Nick M
3rd-September-2004, 08:30 AM
the Naturist Ceroc Holiday. Dancing and an all=over tan

And so much potential for new and innovative moves and holds

drathzel
3rd-September-2004, 08:46 AM
Naturist Ceroc Holiday. Dancing and an all=over tan :D ;)

mmm i think i will miss that one out thanks...

CJ
3rd-September-2004, 09:49 AM
Bringing this back on topic (sort of):

I saw an interesting strap thing in Ann Summers window this morning :whistle:

I'd never seen one of THEM with straps before. :eek: In saying that, the straps did look sturdy so no falling off problems mid-move... :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-September-2004, 09:54 AM
Bringing this back on topic (sort of):

I saw an interesting strap thing in Ann Summers window this morning :whistle:

I'd never seen one of THEM with straps before. :eek: In saying that, the straps did look sturdy so no falling off problems mid-move... :wink:
i thought Ann Summers took out that restraining order on you ? :)

CJ
3rd-September-2004, 09:59 AM
i thought Ann Summers took out that restraining order on you ? :)

They didn't recognise me with the hat and false 'tache!!! :wink:

DangerousCurves
3rd-September-2004, 02:16 PM
After conducting a short and highly unscientific experiment, I came to the conclusion that I get more dances with a high neck top than with a low cut one :confused:

I think maybe the chaps are worried they'll get lost in there and never get out again! :whistle:

Rhythm King
3rd-September-2004, 02:50 PM
Never mind the thin shoulder straps -it's those backless things with a couple of laces to hold them on that are the worry, as far as I'm concerned. Did I hear someone refer to them as "apron-tops"?
Anyway, at Bedford Corn Exchange a couple of years ago, I was dancing with a lady who must remain nameless, for obvious reasons (not a forumite, however). She spun, my right thumb caught in the bow tied at the back holding the handkerchief over her front and you can guess what happened :really: We left the dance floor with her clinging to me to preserve her modesty, whilst trying to sort out the ensuing tangle. I was so embarrassed! :blush:

R-K

Rachel
3rd-September-2004, 03:41 PM
... I was so embarrassed! :blush:

R-K Probably not as embarrassed as she was, though!

I think most ladies learn very early on to double knot everything ...
Rachel

DangerousCurves
3rd-September-2004, 04:22 PM
most ladies learn very early on to double knot everything ...
Rachel

Everything? :eek:

There must be some very nervous gents in Northampton tonight... :rofl:

drathzel
3rd-September-2004, 04:48 PM
i wear a strappy top to class but it a highish cut one.. with a very secure bra... its the only thing for it!!! You must maintain you dignity in some way for i sure as anything dont maintain it with my dancing :tears:

DangerousCurves
3rd-September-2004, 05:43 PM
I confess to loving strappy, low-cut, glam evening wear (even if it does get me fewer dances :tears: )

In order to maintain decorum, I go to my room and test every new item before going dancing in it by simply throwing myself over backwards onto the bed repeatedly with force!

If everything stays where it should, I step out - knowing that I'm secure. If there's "fallout", then I change my top...

Sometimes I have to change planned outfits several times.

...must admit, the whole proceedure really amuses Mikey, waiting patiently in the hall, car keys in hand! :rofl:

under par
3rd-September-2004, 05:46 PM
I confess to loving strappy, low-cut, glam evening wear (even if it does get me fewer dances :tears: )

In order to maintain decorum, I go to my room and test every new item before going dancing in it by simply throwing myself over backwards onto the bed repeatedly with force!

If everything stays where it should, I step out - knowing that I'm secure. If there's "fallout", then I change my top...

Sometimes I have to change planned outfits several times.

...must admit, the whole proceedure really amuses Mikey, waiting patiently in the hall, car keys in hand! :rofl:

Any hidden camera work available sounds hilarious. :rofl:

Sparkles
3rd-September-2004, 05:49 PM
Any hidden camera work available sounds hilarious. :rofl:

Don't knock it till you've tried it!
I have to admit I have a similar method, but it usually envolves lots of spinning and shaking myself about...
...and of course I have to do all this in the shop before I actually buy the item in question :rofl: , because if I can't dance in it there's no point buying it :what: :whistle: :waycool:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-September-2004, 08:31 PM
if I can't dance in it there's no point buying it :what: :whistle: :waycool:
:yeah: :hug: :kiss:

Alfie
4th-September-2004, 12:26 PM
After conducting a short and highly unscientific experiment, I came to the conclusion that I get more dances with a high neck top than with a low cut one :confused:

I think maybe the chaps are worried they'll get lost in there and never get out again! :whistle:

:grin: What a way to go :wink: :clap: :clap:

DianaS
5th-September-2004, 01:17 PM
Carry fishing wire and body tape.
You can tie straps together at the back with fishing wire so they don't slip down. (its also invisible so one colour suits all)
Body tape is brilliant for preventing spillage, and straying fingers! I once had someones fingers disappear down my dresses front as he whirled past. The expresssions on both of our faces must have been priceless! :blush:

Gadget
5th-September-2004, 10:29 PM
I once had someones fingers disappear down my dresses front as he whirled past. The expresssions on both of our faces must have been priceless! :blush:
:devil: ... so the name of that move they were trying was? ... just so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me :whistle:

Tiggerbabe
5th-September-2004, 10:59 PM
just so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me :whistle:
I will admit to having my fingers trapped in a gentleman's shirt buttons once :blush: :blush: but that was nothing compared to the embarassment witnessed when someone ( a yong lady) got their long hair caught in their partner's ( a yong man) trouser button - the ensuing positions as they tried to untangle it were priceless - and no it wasn't CJ :wink:

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 01:12 AM
Not exactly straps, off subject, but .....

During a recent class I twice found myself opposite a young lady whose beautiful long tresses of perfectly straight blonde hair were her crowning glory. (Sorry if that arouses any envy at all in female fellow forumites.) During the practice those very same tresses swished gently and delightfully across my face, softly caressing, on each and every turn or spin she made. For a brief time I was in heaven, savouring the light and delicate feel, breathing in the subtle scent, revelling in the unintended bounty; and oblivious and blind to all around.

Potentially quite dodgy on a crowded dance floor.

drathzel
6th-September-2004, 01:12 PM
whitebeard.....

i have long brown hair and i constantly feel that whether tied back or not that i am hit people with my hair.... now you have made me feel really self concious!!! :what:

under par
6th-September-2004, 02:01 PM
whitebeard.....

i have long brown hair and i constantly feel that whether tied back or not that i am hit people with my hair.... now you have made me feel really self concious!!! :what:

Oh but with a slow spin it can be quite sensuous :drool: as opposed to a lethal weapon to a really fast track :angry:

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 03:36 PM
..... feel that whether tied back or not that i am hit people with my hair....

Just one more thing for a lady to consider when decorating herself for a night of dancing !!!

So much easier for we men. (Well, most of us, eh Martin?)

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 03:39 PM
..... a lethal weapon to a really fast track .....
Could send a fellow's specs skipping to the other end of the floor !!!

drathzel
6th-September-2004, 05:20 PM
Could send a fellow's specs skipping to the other end of the floor !!!

Well i'll have to pull my hair back in a bun so that i dont make anyone blind!!! :whistle:

MartinHarper
6th-September-2004, 06:52 PM
So much easier for we men. (Well, most of us, eh Martin?)

Heh. I once had my hair up with hairsticks, forgot I had them in, and idly demonstrated a comb to a non-dancer friend. Ouchie... :)

There is a poll on ponytails (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3039), btw.

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 07:23 PM
Well i'll have to pull my hair back in a bun so that i dont make anyone blind!!! :whistle:
Thelma plaits hers and takes it up and over. Looks quite stylish but probably carries a small armoury of pins and plasticy bits awaiting the unwary.

drathzel
6th-September-2004, 08:03 PM
i tie mine back and thats the best thing i can do with mine.... i cant plait!!!!

DianaS
6th-September-2004, 10:21 PM
:devil: ... so the name of that move they were trying was? ... just so I can make sure the same thing doesn't happen to me :whistle:
I believe it was the man's spin! but I still can't figure how it happened. It was one of those things you probably couldn't do if you tried to!

Northants Girly
6th-September-2004, 11:18 PM
I believe it was the man's spin! but I still can't figure how it happened. It was one of those things you probably couldn't do if you tried to!
Don't you believe it Diana!
About a year ago I had a guy put his hand down my top twice in one lesson - at the same point in the routine :really:
I assumed he was a beginner but I was informed that he had been dancing for sometime . . . better not say anymore other than you won't bump into him in your neck of the woods!

PS Have good news about Sat 9th Oct - may be able to come to Nantwich :clap:

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 11:38 PM
.... i cant plait!!!!
You could learn ...... gotta be easier than MJ !!

Whitebeard
6th-September-2004, 11:44 PM
About a year ago I had a guy put his hand down my top twice in one lesson -

If it was a man spin I can understand how an undisciplined (or canny) hand might get down there - but I'd like to know how he got it out without breaking an arm or causing terminal embarrassment.

DianaS
7th-September-2004, 08:00 AM
About a year ago I had a guy put his hand down my top twice in one lesson - at the same point in the routine :really:
I assumed he was a beginner but I was informed that he had been dancing for sometime . . . better not say anymore other than you won't bump into him in your neck of the woods!

PS Have good news about Sat 9th Oct - may be able to come to Nantwich :clap:
Since I've been dancing the lead I've realised how hard guys must try to avoid contact with breasts. Fortuntely I'm really well known at the venues for people to understand its a genuine errror on my behalf, but a couple of times I've had a brush with someones breasts and had to really try hard to avoid contact there! and my female followers have had a similar problem with me and mine Excellent news about Nantwich It woiuld be great to have you over!
Love Diana

Gadget
7th-September-2004, 10:15 AM
Since I've been dancing the lead I've realised how hard guys must try to avoid contact with breasts.
:confused: You hand is at hip level, shoulder level or above the lady. Unless you have a very accrobatic lady, there shouldn't be a problem. Any transition between these positions is generally happening in motion and you are at your furthest from the lady at mid-point in that motion - ie. breast level.

The worst "accidental contact" I have done is through a 'pop-up' move where you take both hands in one behind your back, then turn into a half-nelson while ducking under the loop of the lady's arms and releasing while strightening up to have her arms locked round your neck. The gap I had to come up through was a bit smaller than I expected :blush:

Zuhal
7th-September-2004, 12:23 PM
:confused: You hand is at hip level, shoulder level or above the lady. Unless you have a very accrobatic lady, there shouldn't be a problem. Any transition between these positions is generally happening in motion and you are at your furthest from the lady at mid-point in that motion - ie. breast level.

The worst "accidental contact" I have done is through a 'pop-up' move where you take both hands in one behind your back, then turn into a half-nelson while ducking under the loop of the lady's arms and releasing while strightening up to have her arms locked round your neck. The gap I had to come up through was a bit smaller than I expected :blush:

We were recently taught a wrappy movement which started in a basket cuddle and involved moving your partners arms from shoulder to waist and back again, from behind :eek:

Just as it takes longer for a lady to walk around some men, my gibbon arms were just not long enough to perform this move respectably with some ladies
There was two choices in the class. either you had to groin grind to make sure there was enough clearance or by leaving distance between your respective torsos there was a danger of breast brushing. :blush:

Easy in freestyle Just match the moves to your partner.

'breast brushing', 'groin grind', 'from behind' transfered from my other forum :wink:

Zuhal

drathzel
7th-September-2004, 01:45 PM
You could learn ...... gotta be easier than MJ !!

very true.... i shall try for tonight!!

spindr
7th-September-2004, 02:13 PM
Just as it takes longer for a lady to walk around some men, my gibbon arms were just not long enough to perform this move respectably with some ladies. There was two choices in the class. either you had to groin grind to make sure there was enough clearance or by leaving distance between your respective torsos there was a danger of breast brushing. :blush:

Try modifying your grip -- just use the first joint of your fingers to keep hold -- should help preserve your modesty somewhat.

SpinDr.

Whitebeard
7th-September-2004, 04:15 PM
We were recently taught a wrappy movement which started in a basket cuddle and involved moving your partners arms from shoulder to waist and back again, from behind .....

I've seen that move taught and used, but never participated myself. The whole point of the move like many another, I guess, is that it's deliberately a little on the risque (where's that acccent) side and, in Freestyle, to be used with discretion and all the usual disclaimers.

The sort of move that might get taught in a 'Fun' class on a Freestyle night.

Whitebeard
7th-September-2004, 04:40 PM
...... I've realised how hard guys must try to avoid contact with breasts.

The odd brush in passing is bound to happen occasionally (especially for a beginner who is not yet fully spatially aware) but only becomes a real issue with certain amply endowed ladies. I'm sure ladies are instinctively able to dfferentiate between the accidental and the deliberate and a 'brush in passing' excused. I've only ever acknowledged, with a mouthed 'Sorry, are you OK', those brushes which were a little on the hard side.

MartinHarper
7th-September-2004, 05:15 PM
avoid contact with breasts

Yeah, I'm having problems freestyling that first move elbow block. In the class, the ladies all spun with their arms high and elbows easily catchable. In freestyle they all spun with their arms down at their sides or tucked neatly behind their back. With the elbow at that height, I've marked the move down as "too dangerous for freestyle", which is a shame. Any hints?

Gadget
8th-September-2004, 08:31 AM
Blocking on the exit turn to the first move? (Where lady is to your right hand side, your left hand on your left shoulder, right on far hip)
My advice: forget the elbow; your hand is already on their hip and you should be using it in guiding them to turn out - just keep it there and rotate it from thumb up to thumb down as she turns infront of you and use this to block; smooth. :waycool:

If you want to use elbow blocks, what I do is make it the upper arm - just above the elbow - And I trace to there from the shoulder. But generally it's too much work, so I use the shoulder or hip. Also less chance of injury using these.

drathzel
8th-September-2004, 08:34 AM
The whole avoid breast contact is good as it hurts a women when she gets bumped into :whistle: