PDA

View Full Version : Lead difference into wrap/sway and layback

Gadget
2nd-September-2004, 08:41 AM
I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now, and just can't get it - any time I want to continue a lady's turning from the sway so that her arm is 'half nelson' and she is infront of me, she's into my side before I know it.

Any suggestions?

TheTramp
2nd-September-2004, 09:16 AM
I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now, and just can't get it - any time I want to continue a lady's turning from the sway so that her arm is 'half nelson' and she is infront of me, she's into my side before I know it.

Any suggestions?
Lead it better?? :devil: :whistle:

Ask me next Tuesday if you don't have it figured, and I'll try to help more then!! :flower:

Trampy

Gojive
2nd-September-2004, 09:17 AM

Any suggestions?

If you're trying to do what I think you're trying do :blush: , you could use your left hand on her hip to encourage her to keep turning :)

DavidB
2nd-September-2004, 12:01 PM
You have 2 problems:
- It is not a common move, so the ladies aren't expecting it.
- Any move that involves the lady going into hammerlock (such as the sway) has to be done with a degree of co-operation from the lady - it can't be forced.

So make it easy for her. Lead her into a sway, and move yourself to finish the move. Then lead a normal sway, and make sure you lead the 'stop' in the sway position. Then lead her without this stop. It might take a few goes, but at least she will still have two working arms afterwards.

RobC
2nd-September-2004, 12:15 PM

Any suggestions?
When teaching the sway, I typically tell the guys to draw a L with their right hand, first drawing their partner straight towards them to start the travelling, then whipping their hand out to the right to wrap their partner in side-to-side.

If you want to get you partner into a half nelson in front of you, you have two options:-
The easy option first, lead the sway as above, but as she comes into your side, take a step around 180 degrees with your left foot, pivoting on the right to bring you face to face with your partner again. ( Ok, so you have changed direction, but your description above wasn't explicit on that point :wink: )

Alternatively, if you want to stay on the spot and end up with her infront of you in a half nelson, you will need to change your lead. Instead of drawing her forwards initially to start her travelling, you need to get her turning on the spot without travelling. This is easiest achieved with a prepare step on the end of the previous move where you take your right hand forwards pushing her back onto her right foot, twisting to her right slightly more than usual. From here, your right hand does more of a U shape (your partner turning on the spot in the center of the U) rather than an L and as your RH reaches the top right part of the U, your partner should be spinning with enough momentum to take her the rest of the way into a half nelson.

TheTramp
2nd-September-2004, 12:28 PM
We just tried that, and it seems harder to us (Sparkles and myself). It isn't that hard I don't think. Just one of those little 'tricks'. I will promise to show you next Tuesday (with an unsuspecting woman!!).

Trampy

spindr
2nd-September-2004, 12:49 PM
If you want the lady in front facing you with her arm in a hammerlock, then you are really leading her to spin on the spot (and keep hold of your hand) -- one version would be something like a "low return" on right-right hands, adjusting the hands so that the lady goes in to the hammerlock.

Make sure that the lady's balanced to be able to spin (and for those who believe in footwork -- on the correct foot).
You need to let the hands adjust freely, otherwise the lady will probably refuse, some ways to encourage her are:

Where possible the hammerlock should be "set up", by keeping the follower's hand that will bend behind their back, close to the hip on the same side -- it is more difficult to bend an arm into a hammerlock if it is initially held to one side, i.e. away from the body.
The hammerlock should be led low (under waist height) to differentiate it from other moves, and to encourage the follower to "break their shoulder".
The leader can encourage the arm to bend into the hammerlock by slightly rotating the handhold.
Take the hands low below her elbow height -- if you keep the hands above her elbow, she won't be able to bend her arm "under it" -- if you keep the hands at her elbow height this can cause her "forearm" to start to block against her elbow and stop her spinning.

Make sure that there's little forward component to the lead -- keep it really gentle and circular.

If all else fails, start in an arm jive lead her to turn into a hammerlock using both sets of hands and release the set you don't want, and maybe do a less than subtle hand change if required :)

SpinDr.

Andreas
3rd-September-2004, 05:05 PM
So make it easy for her. Lead her into a sway, and move yourself to finish the move.

Listen to what this man says :D

Then lead a normal sway, and make sure you lead the 'stop' in the sway position. Then lead her without this stop. It might take a few goes, but at least she will still have two working arms afterwards.

at the end of it please post a link to a video recording BEFORE you untie your amrs and legs, please :rofl: