PDA

View Full Version : Spectating vs Dancing

MartinHarper
1st-September-2004, 04:43 PM
At a freestyle session, how much time do you spend watching other people dance, compared to how much time you spend dancing yourself?
How much time would you like to spend?
How much time do you think you should spend?

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi Martin,

This is something I try to do as much as possible (not always successfully though, thanks to an abundance of insistent ladies :wink: ). I reckon I've learned a great deal from just taking time out to watch - both how to, and how not to do things!.

One of the best things I ever did, was to still go to my local classes when I had a back problem that prevented me from dancing. Although it was frustrating not being able to get up and dance, it forced me to watch and enjoy others for a change! - and of course, I had a perfectly legitimate excuse for saying 'No' for a while, so I could just sit there all night! :waycool:

latinlover
1st-September-2004, 04:57 PM
Personally I hardly ever watch other people dance as I'm usually dancing almost all the time, and when I'm not, I'm either explaining to people that I'm not dancing or getting a drink. in fact I'm actually quite anti-social when I dance , because I can't dance and talk sensibly at the same time,and I'd rather dance & not talk than talk & not dance . :confused:
I don't think there is any 'Should' about it , although obviously one can learn from watching good dancers. I am sometimes aware of people watching me & mrs LL but I always assume it's her they're watching, and who can blame them? :drool: :yum:

Lynn
1st-September-2004, 04:58 PM
Only been to a few freestyles (we had 15 mins after classes here and I spent almost all of that dancing) but I do enjoy spectating as well as dancing. I'm a bit shy and if I asked the guys to dance I might be dancing more... But watching friends dancing and enjoying themselves is nice too, and gives time for a rest. I would probably prefer more dancing though.

Dazzle
1st-September-2004, 05:10 PM
My partnmer broke her wrist after a fall at Christmas. Bless her, but she still followed me out every night dancing, but she had NO CHOICE but to watch. However, as a new dancer, she said that she found watching an invaluable way of learning while unable to dance. She picked things up much quicker once she was up and running again and her style improved no end. This was obviously an extreme, but watching can help. I ten to find myself watching when my freestyle goes through a bad patch, for new ideas and moves. I think it is a personal thing, rather than a set task.

Emma
1st-September-2004, 05:28 PM
I love watching people dance, but to be honest given the opportunity I'd never leave the dancefloor! :)

Andy McGregor
1st-September-2004, 05:30 PM
I can't dance and talk sensibly at the same time,

Ditto :blush:

Sparkles
1st-September-2004, 06:05 PM
I love watching people dance, but to be honest given the opportunity I'd never leave the dancefloor! :)

Ditto :blush: :rolleyes: :waycool:

RobC
1st-September-2004, 06:26 PM
I can't dance and talk sensibly at the same time,
Ditto :blush:
You can talk sensibly ? :confused:

:flower: :hug:

RobC
1st-September-2004, 06:32 PM
I don't get the chance to watch much freestyle. You know, too many ladies, not enough time .... ;)

What I do like to do though is watch other teachers on stage during a class. As a teacher myself, I find it useful to watch and critique other's teaching styles, seeing what works for them, how they teach particular moves, and how well the class follows and picks up the routine being taught. All of which I try to then feed back into my own classes when I teach.

baldrick
1st-September-2004, 06:59 PM
I enjoy watching the dance. Both for the sheer pleasure of seening people having so much fun, and as a learning process. What works, variations on a theme, and style that can help the flow of moves.

Tiggerbabe
1st-September-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm with Emma on this, 99.9% of the time I'd rather be dancing - sometimes though, there are people dancing, having one of those fun dances that you would love to watch - Lisa and Phil at the last Beach Ballroom for example, Franck and JB at an Aberdeen freestyle. :worthy: :worthy:

Most of the time that I spend "watching" is at competitions or on videos at home. :D

Lou
1st-September-2004, 08:40 PM
I tend to dance a lot to begin with, and then, as the evening progresses, I tend to chat & watch more.

Hevmac
1st-September-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree with Emma and Sheena too! I would rather dance than watch...or talk...antisocial I know!
Though it is probably useful to watch other good dancers for style tips.....? nah...still rather dance to every track!Xx
:grin:

Gadget
1st-September-2004, 09:28 PM
I go to a night to dance. And that's what I do. Until the music stops and they kick me out. :waycool:

Watching - I would like to watch some people more, but the only chance I get is while standing at the bar waiting to be served or grabbing a quick drink before heading onto the floor again.
I occasionally find myself leading a few simple moves because my attention has been momentaraly distracted by another couple :blush:
If I'm at a competition or there is any showcases to watch, then my eyeballs dry up :what:

Watching the teacher; I watch them very closely - both the teacher and the demo. Timing, styling, distance, movement and lots of little nuances. Especially during the demo - there you see how the moves should flow together and how the links between them are worked.

Would I dance more? Yes, if I could. Would I watch more? Yes, if I couldn't dance.

Sparkles
1st-September-2004, 11:09 PM
If I'm at a competition or there is any showcases to watch, then my eyeballs dry up :what:

I know this feeling - espcially recently watching the showcases at the Scottish Ceroc Champs :worthy: you guys were all amazing - I didn't want to blink in case I missed anything!
S. x

Emma
1st-September-2004, 11:13 PM
Most of the time that I spend "watching" is at competitions or on videos at home. :DYeah that :)

SteveB
1st-September-2004, 11:27 PM
I like to watch now and again to get a breather and to eye up who i want to dance with next! Hehe....GL...x

foxylady
2nd-September-2004, 12:15 AM
I never want to watch, and I always want to dance, however as I prefer to be asked (as opposed to doing the asking) I end up watching more than I want to !! bummer..... (and when I do decide to ask it always seems that I'm never fast enough :wink: !)

Lory
2nd-September-2004, 12:20 AM
One of the things I loved about Bognor this year, was the seating arrangement. During the LONG freestyle's, I have to confess :blush: I did need the occasional 10 minutes off every now and then but it was lovely to be able to sit and watch in comfort, whilst enjoying a drink and chat with friends, eyeing up the talent together and swapping notes! :wink: And generally enjoying the show. Ready for the next bout! :cheers: :clap:

MartinHarper
2nd-September-2004, 01:12 AM
I generally do about one dance on for every one dance off... though that's more out of shyness than anything else. That said, I love watching other dancers - in a way, it's more enjoyable than actually dancing for me, because I don't have to concentrate so hard. My guilty pleasure is watching advanced men dancing with beginner ladies, especially for the expressions on the lady's face. :)

Gary
2nd-September-2004, 01:28 AM
Like spectating, love dancing.

Sparkles
2nd-September-2004, 03:42 AM
I never want to watch, and I always want to dance, however as I prefer to be asked (as opposed to doing the asking) I end up watching more than I want to !! bummer..... (and when I do decide to ask it always seems that I'm never fast enough :wink: !)

Everybody please note, this is a thinly disguised hint from Foxylady that she'd like you to ask her to dance when you next see her...
... she's a shy little thing sometimes :wink: *not* :yum:
S. x

TheTramp
2nd-September-2004, 08:34 AM
When I first started, I used to watch quite a bit - always watching the guys to try to pick up new things.

Then I went through a stage of dancing every song, every night (even the 4 hour freestyles).

Now that I'm older, I find I can't do that any more. So, I probably dance about 3/4 of the tracks, and watch/chat the rest of the time.

Trampy

Gojive
2nd-September-2004, 09:14 AM
So, I probably dance about 3/4 of the tracks, and watch/chat the rest of the time.

Leaving lots of ladies wondering why they can't finish the last 1/4 of the track with you! :yum: :wink:

CJ
2nd-September-2004, 12:07 PM
Leaving lots of ladies wondering why they can't finish the last 1/4 of the track with you! :yum: :wink:

It's a djing thing!! He has to cue the next record... :wink:

TheTramp
2nd-September-2004, 12:32 PM
No. Some of us are technologically advanced!! :whistle: :wink:

It's an old age thing!

Trampy

CJ
2nd-September-2004, 12:35 PM
No. Some of us are technologically advanced!! :whistle: :wink:

It's an old age thing!

Trampy

Yeah, I know :cool:

He who dies with the most toys wins... :D

TheTramp
2nd-September-2004, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I know :cool:

He who dies with the most toys wins... :D
In that case, Franck is so far ahead that any other 4 men could group together, and he'd still beat us all hands down!! :tears:

Trampy

Gojive
2nd-September-2004, 12:40 PM

Q: Do male DJs have one track minds? :yum:

CJ
2nd-September-2004, 12:43 PM
In that case, Franck is so far ahead that any other 4 men could group together, and he'd still beat us all hands down!! :tears:

Trampy

The thought of Franck beating you anyway, never mind hands down, is just too much to contemplate!! :eek:

(Does this answer Gojive's Q?!?!!?!?!?!?!? :wink: )

Gojive
2nd-September-2004, 12:50 PM
The thought of Franck beating you anyway, never mind hands down, is just too much to contemplate!! :eek:

(Does this answer Gojive's Q?!?!!?!?!?!?!? :wink: )

LOL! No further questions your honour! :waycool:

baldrick
2nd-September-2004, 12:57 PM

Trampy
I'll take that challenge and put my toy collection up against anybodies :na:

ElaineB
2nd-September-2004, 01:37 PM
I don't get much time to sit out, but I love to watch gooood dancers together. You can learn so much by watching!! Even if it is David Barker and Trampy :wink:

Elaine

Franck
2nd-September-2004, 01:50 PM
I'll take that challenge and put my toy collection up against anybodies :na::rofl:

Go back to your playroom Baldrick... you're just an amateur...

quality *and* quantity... I have them all I tell you ALL!! :waycool:

DianaS
2nd-September-2004, 02:21 PM
:rofl:

Yurr in Baldrick, they've taken their gloves off :innocent:

foxylady
2nd-September-2004, 02:57 PM

and apparently Franck 'Has a splendid one to hold' :wink: !!!!!! (his rep says this)

baldrick
2nd-September-2004, 03:08 PM

Right then,

Mountain bikes at dawn,

Kayaks at lunch time,
or
Digerydoo's at dusk,

Pick your wepon. :waycool: :mad: :hug:

Whitebeard
2nd-September-2004, 03:25 PM
I generally do about one dance on for every one dance off...
I can beat that easily as I usually spectate at least 75% of the time. Lack of confidence in my dancing ability, lack of stamina, lack of nerve, and lack of inspiration from the music, all contribute to this sorry state of affairs.

Most of the time though I'm quite happy to watch and learn, but occasionally inwardly fume as I realise that I really want to be up there moving with that particular tune and I've left it too late to find a partner.

At such times I find myself wishing there were a ladies/gents "excuse me" convention. But wouldn't that cause mayhem!!

Yogi_Bear
2nd-September-2004, 09:46 PM
I might well spectate for the first half of the freestyle time then for the second half I could be dancing about 50% of the time...perverse, or what?

Andreas
3rd-September-2004, 11:54 AM
At a freestyle session, how much time do you spend watching other people dance, compared to how much time you spend dancing yourself?
How much time would you like to spend?
How much time do you think you should spend?

Most of the time I spend two or three songs at most watching, the rest dancing. With a few exceptions that is also what I prefer. Sometimes, when I am not motivated, tired or want to watch somebody that can be a bit of a curse, though. :D