PDA

View Full Version : Rep etiquette?....

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 01:05 AM
This might seem a strange request! :)

The concept of "repping" on this forum is new to me, so....

Although I'm still relatively new to "the group", three members have very kindly left nice comments in my "rep inbox" recently (or whatever you'd called it).

My question is - is there a way of discretely thanking these people for their kind comments, or do we just accept them and say no more?

In the absence of any formal etiquette with these things, I'd just like to say to those members, thankyou! - you're messages have made me feel a little more welcome to the forum :flower:

I hope I'm making sense with the above, it is late, and the vino is flowing rather nicely! :blush:

RobC
1st-September-2004, 01:16 AM
Well now the reps are back and are no longer anonymous, you could always PM the people who gave you the rep. :nice:

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 01:20 AM
Well now the reps are back and are no longer anonymous, you could always PM the people who gave you the rep. :nice:

Thanks for that Rob. I did think of doing that, but just wanted to check beforehand that there was no other way that I should know of :)

Tiggerbabe
1st-September-2004, 01:27 AM
just wanted to check beforehand that there was no other way that I should know of :)
You could always find a post of theirs and give them some rep too :whistle: :clap:

under par
1st-September-2004, 01:28 AM
You could always find a post of theirs and give them some rep too :whistle: :clap:

Great idea Sheena have some rep. :worthy:

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 01:36 AM

LOL! Thanks Sheena, consider yourself 'repped'!.... :wink:

Gadget
1st-September-2004, 10:11 AM
:mad: As far as I am aware,(and please correct me if I'm wrong) the rep system should not be used to promote lovie-ism: All this will results in is cliques having high reps by constantly repping each other and completly de-values the whole rep system.

Someone with a high rep carries some status: what they say deserves some attention and consideration - someone like DavidB with a high rep saying "No, that's not quite right" should be more influential than Mr/Ms Joe Smith (who's been chatting to their mates and being repped) saying "no, that's not quite right"

If you want to rep someone, make it because of what they say on the forum that has merrit rather than just because they said something nice about you.

Grrrrr.

{well, that's my opinion anyway... watch my rep plummit :rolleyes:}

Dreadful Scathe
1st-September-2004, 10:23 AM
:mad: As far as I am aware,(and please correct me if I'm wrong) the rep system should not be used to promote lovie-ism: All this will results in is cliques having high reps by constantly repping each other and completly de-values the whole rep system.

Someone with a high rep carries some status: what they say deserves some attention and consideration - someone like DavidB with a high rep saying "No, that's not quite right" should be more influential than Mr/Ms Joe Smith (who's been chatting to their mates and being repped) saying "no, that's not quite right"

If you want to rep someone, make it because of what they say on the forum that has merrit rather than just because they said something nice about you.

Grrrrr.

its the comments like that, where you state an opinion that some people may not like, that deserves rep....:)

Rhythm King
1st-September-2004, 10:41 AM

Grrrrr.

Fair comment Gadge - have some rep!

ChrisA
1st-September-2004, 11:01 AM

....... :yeah:

If it's a bit of fun, the rep system is fine. But as a serious indicator of anything it is completely useless....

... no one can guarantee or police (nor would anyone want to) how the rep system is used.

... and no one knows how much it is used by the people that use it in different ways.

The thing is, this forum accommodates a broad spectrum of contribution - and a good thing too - but one of the consequences of that looseness is that the rep system is a complete waste of space in traditional forum "reputation" terms.

Chris

Lynn
1st-September-2004, 11:59 AM
If you want to rep someone, make it because of what they say on the forum that has merrit rather than just because they said something nice about you. Yep!

I'm not saying there is no space for some 'being nice to someone' rep on occasions - but I think the rep system works best when its prompted by what someone has said. Its quite affirming when you have said something and someone reps you to say they agree or that you have made a good comment. It means that someone has thought you have said something worthwhile, you feel you have made a useful contribution to the discussion. Negative rep should work the same way - a comment which is a reflection on what the person has said - not on personal dislike.

For me, I don't 'know' very many people on the forum in 'real life' so my only interaction with many people has been via what I have said on the forum - and a positive rep makes me glad I am here as I feel I have said something that at least one other person has found helpful or thought provoking.

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 12:43 PM
For me, I don't 'know' very many people on the forum in 'real life' so my only interaction with many people has been via what I have said on the forum - and a positive rep makes me glad I am here as I feel I have said something that at least one other person has found helpful or thought provoking

:yeah:

I didn't really expect to see comments so early on in my 'posting career' on here, but it certainly made me feel a little more welcome, and glad that I posted what I did :flower:

I think Gadget's point is very valid though, to be of real value the system needs to be used for the reasons he descibed :)

Gadget
1st-September-2004, 12:58 PM
If it's a bit of fun, the rep system is fine. But as a serious indicator of anything it is completely useless....
Not if there are some basic rules of ettiquette laid down - it should police it's self, and whatever minor 'lovieism' exists, it should have very little impact on who is at the top of the list.

What's puzzling me just now is what the rep indicator is actually showing a reputation for? Content? Humor? Presenting an argument? Agreeing with everyone else on the forum?

I think it's a reputation for contributing to the forum; stirring up debate, creating jokes, asking questions and presenting answers. A mark of status within the forum community.

Gordon J Pownall
1st-September-2004, 01:01 PM
I think it's a reputation for contributing to the forum; stirring up debate, creating jokes, asking questions and presenting answers. A mark of status within the forum community.

That's certainly how I see it - it is a snapshot of your involvement within a community - have some rep...!!! :nice:

Rachel
1st-September-2004, 01:09 PM
... My question is - is there a way of discretely thanking these people for their kind comments, or do we just accept them and say no more? ... I do agree with Gadget, but also sympathise with Gojive - it does feel impolite not to at least acknowledge any nice comments that people have sent you. And a PM just to say thanks seems a bit OTT.

In my ideal world, we'd have a button to reply to the rep giver saying: 'I acknowledge your comment and wish to thank you.'

Or perhaps for negative rep: I acknowledge your comment and wish you would bugger off to the far ends of the earth.
PS You smell

Or something ...
R.

Gojive
1st-September-2004, 01:18 PM
Or perhaps for negative rep: I acknowledge your comment and wish you would bugger off to the far ends of the earth.
PS You smell

Or something ...
R.

:rofl: Love the idea!!! (if used correctly of course :wink: )

ChrisA
1st-September-2004, 01:42 PM
Not if there are some basic rules of ettiquette laid down - it should police it's self, and whatever minor 'lovieism' exists, it should have very little impact on who is at the top of the list.

But who makes up the rules? Who decides what they should be?

Look at the top of the rep leader board, for instance - apart from Franck (!), the top two are DavidB and Lory.

Now don't get me wrong, they are both fab, brilliant people, love em both to bits and all that :flower:, but their contributions are completely different in nature - chalk and cheese.

It just illustrates my point that there's no etiquette rules that could be laid down - they'd have to be either so narrow that not everyone would agree with them, or they'd be so broad that they'd be pointless, and equivalent to not having any (except 'no flaming' would be a good one, I suppose).

I think at the end of the day there can be no rules... you sum it up well yourself:

... :yeah:

... but luvvieness has to be just as admissible as oracleness, since it's just as much part of the forum. So shut yer moaning, smelly :wink: :D

Chris

bigdjiver
1st-September-2004, 03:49 PM

Grrrrr.

I tried to rep you, but got the spread it first message.

How many :yeah: , :rofl: and :clap: does it take to make a rep?

I would not like to see hate-ism either, a neg rep for a neg rep. I think neg reps should be kept for extreme cases, if used at all.

I wonder what the ratio of +reps to -reps is, it would be a good measure of forum health, I think.