PDA

View Full Version : Weston-Super-Mare Competition Video

Andy McGregor
26th-August-2004, 01:27 PM
I've just received the Weston video. I'm half-way through it already and it's the best competition video I've ever seen :clap:

The sound quality and synchronisation of dancing and music are good - the sound echoed a bit in the hall and this has been faithfully reproduced on the video :wink:

BUT, the best thing is that the format of the video is all new and much more sensible. Each category of competition is grouped together. So, for example, you get the first heat of the DWAS, followed by the quarter finals, followed by the semi-finals, the final and lastly the presentation of prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The heats were obviously taking place at intervals during the day so bringing together the rounds in this way does make it look like people have made some very quick costume changes :really:

AND, it gets even better, after each of the first heats you get the scores for each couple and from then onwards each round is followed by a roll of honour showing each individual couple, where they placed and the score they got - absolutely fabulous :clap: :clap: :clap:

AND, it's here, much quicker than the Blackpool video.

TheTramp
26th-August-2004, 01:42 PM
Sounds fantastic. I want to see a copy now :D

Trampy

Gordon J Pownall
27th-August-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds fantastic. I want to see a copy now :D

Trampy

...and it's amazing that they have got it out so quickly and that it is so good..... :worthy:

Err.......actually................no.............. .... :what:

It's not amazing because Steve is professional who takes his work seriously :clap: :cheers: :clap: ......unlike the cowboys...that Ceroc use(s)(d) for the past three years resulting in poor quality videos delivered months after the expected date....

Anyone got their Ceroc Champs 2004 video / DVD yet.....?

No....... I thought not.... :mad:

ElaineB
5th-September-2004, 10:07 PM
...and it's amazing that they have got it out so quickly and that it is so good..... :worthy:

Err.......actually................no.............. .... :what:

It's not amazing because Steve is professional who takes his work seriously :clap: :cheers: :clap: ......unlike the cowboys...that Ceroc use(s)(d) for the past three years resulting in poor quality videos delivered months after the expected date....

Anyone got their Ceroc Champs 2004 video / DVD yet.....?

No....... I thought not.... :mad:

Just received our W-S-M DVD and I echo Andy's comments - certainly the best DVD/video by far - well done guys! :clap: :clap: :clap:

As for the Ceroc Champs - I wanted to order a DVD, but could not find out from the Ce Roc Web site where to get one from - any one able to help?

Elaine

Andy McGregor
5th-September-2004, 11:58 PM
This speed and quality begs the question. Why don't the Ceroc and Blackpool competitions use the same company?

HINT!!!

ChrisA
6th-September-2004, 08:09 AM
This speed and quality begs the question. Why don't the Ceroc and Blackpool competitions use the same company?

......... :yeah:

The DVDs arrived here over the weekend, too. All present and correct. Most impressed with the quality as well, and also with the organisation of material on the DVDs, too, with each round of each category of the comp together - so you get the whole DWAS on the same disc, the whole Intermediate, the whole Advanced... etc...

... rather than sprinkling the rounds across several DVDs, in the running order of the original comp.

Realising how people that buy the DVD probably want to access the material like this, strikes me as a stroke of genius, if incredibly simple, so big up to them for that. :cheers:

So, a challenge to C2D and Ceroc:

If the Bristol chaps can come up with a great product, and get them out within about 6 weeks of the comp, why does it take the rest of them four months or more to produce something which IMO is pretty mediocre in quality terms, albeit a great improvement on previous years' offerings?

This is a genuine question. I've heard all kinds of 'this is how long it takes' nonsense, but clearly it isn't. So come on, C2D, Ceroc... it's clearly possible to do the job properly, so why are you lagging here?

Chris

Jayne
6th-September-2004, 09:46 AM
:yeah:

The quality of the WSM DVD is fantastic! And the order of the heats on the DVDs is a stroke of genius. The picture is sharp and the sound is clear. Fab!

I particularly like having the scores on the video (another reason to buy it!) and the fact that after the presentations you get a photo of the winners and then clips of them in action. Wee touches like that just show the level of care that the comp organisers have gone to to look after their customers. Medals for the finalists was also a lovely touch. :clap:

Ceroc may be the long standing comp and Blackpool may have the names but I think the Bristol/WSM comp really should be in everyone's diary next year (the dates were published on the DVD sleeve - another fab detail). It was very well organised & was 30 minutes behind schedule all day (it was late because Joseph & Tricia were stuck in a traffic jam - but at least it remained 30 minutes late all day, so you knew where you were). The hall was great, with a lovely floor and a fantastic atmosphere.

So to all of those comps organisers who are resting on their laurels - watch out!

Well done again to the organisers of the WSM comp! A fantastic comp, a great day and a brilliant video! :clap:

J :nice:

Sheepman
6th-September-2004, 12:37 PM
From all the above comments I'm looking forward to seeing the DVD, but I can't yet, even though it arrived on Saturday. :tears:

I have tried to played 2 sets of the DVDs on 2 different players (one of which is brand new), none of them will play (apart from the introduction). There is a note in with the DVDs saying that if this happens then "your DVD player does not run fast enough" (or something like that). I don't have a DVD on my PC to check it there.
Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like it must have been anticipated, as otherwise that note wouldn't have been included. Should I send them back and get the low tech video instead? :confused: Are there any techno wizards that can explain why this should apply to DVD players which have no trouble playing any other DVDs/MP3s, CDs?

Greg

cerocmetro
7th-September-2004, 02:28 AM

HINT!!!

Ahem :blush:
JiveMaster video 2003, out on sale in 4 days of event :whistle:
We are going to try and better that this year especially as I leave for NZ two days after the finals. :tears:

Quality, read the forum,
This year DVD too. :whistle:

Jayne
7th-September-2004, 09:47 AM
Ahem :blush:
JiveMaster video 2003, out on sale in 4 days of event :whistle:
Credit where it's due - well done for getting it out so quickly! :clap:

Although... JM is done over 6 months so you do get chance to do most of the leg work before the final happens..... :whistle:

(BTW - it says on the JM webpage that there will be 15 finalists. You already have 13 and you still have two heats plus one mini heat left. Plus there's all of those third placers who might get the chance to go through.... Summat's up with the maths there Adam. :confused: )

J :nice:

Andy McGregor
7th-September-2004, 10:08 AM
I've got a cough and couldn't sleep last night so I watched the Weston DVD all the way through. I'd just like to reiterate that the quality is fabulous and it plays perfectly on my old Tesco DVD player. BUT it will only fast-forward at 2x and won't go backwards at all :confused:

As others have said, it is inspired to put all the heats and the prize-giving for each section together. And, a consequence of this is that you don't so easily notice how often Sharif says "there and be only one winner" :devil:

Also, if all the finals were one after the other it would show that the choice of music was questionable for most of the finals :tears: I'm sure that the WSM team have got the message by now that the music doesn't have to be obscure or very, very fast to be challenging :tears:

But just in case they haven't got the message maybe a few people could remind them about the music being too fast well in advance of next years competition. Also, the use of raw scores in the judging means that some judges could have 3 or 4 times the influence over the result if they chose to :mad:

But, the video is still fab and so's the comp - but that doesn't mean things can't get even better :clap:

HITMAN
7th-September-2004, 10:47 AM
I've just received the Weston video. I'm half-way through it already and it's the best competition video I've ever seen :clap:

The sound quality and synchronisation of dancing and music are good - the sound echoed a bit in the hall and this has been faithfully reproduced on the video :wink:

BUT, the best thing is that the format of the video is all new and much more sensible. Each category of competition is grouped together. So, for example, you get the first heat of the DWAS, followed by the quarter finals, followed by the semi-finals, the final and lastly the presentation of prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The heats were obviously taking place at intervals during the day so bringing together the rounds in this way does make it look like people have made some very quick costume changes :really:

AND, it gets even better, after each of the first heats you get the scores for each couple and from then onwards each round is followed by a roll of honour showing each individual couple, where they placed and the score they got - absolutely fabulous :clap: :clap: :clap:

AND, it's here, much quicker than the Blackpool video.Thanks for the good vibes guys.

This was my first attempt at a competition video/dvd, I had watched other videos from past events as an outsider and found them very confusing jumping from different categorys, I felt that after watching one hour of dwas heats, and quarter finals I then wanted to follow it through to the semi's and final, not jump to intermediate heats etc.
Glad that you liked my format and presentation and look forward to next years event.

If you would like to order a copy of the video/dvd of wsm please send a cheque to Jive Video, 6 Belton Road, Brighton, BN2 3RE or you can pay by credit card by calling me direct on 01273 693758 mob 07905 164228.

Video one contains dwas and intermedites only, running time 3 hours
cost £10+£2.50p/p

Video two contains advanced, open, seniors, aerials, double trouble, salsa, showcase, team challenge, running time 3 hours
cost £10+£2.50p/p

Video one & two together £20+£2.50p/p

DVD one contains dwas running time 1 hour 30 minutes
cost £7.50+£1.50p/p

DVD two contains intermediates running time 1 hour 30 minutes
cost £7.50+£1.50p/p

DVD three contains advanced, open, seniors, running time 1 hour 20 minutes
cost £7.50+£1.50p/p

DVD four contains aerials, salsa, showcase, team challenge, glitter ball
cost £7.50+£1.50p/p

Any two dvds £15+£1.50p/p

All four dvds £25+£2.50p/p

I also have a few copies of MJC8 filmed at the end of June of this year on video & dvd left, running time 3 hours please contact me for details steve@sasdisco2000.freeserve.co.uk :worthy:

HITMAN
7th-September-2004, 11:15 AM
From all the above comments I'm looking forward to seeing the DVD, but I can't yet, even though it arrived on Saturday. :tears:

I have tried to played 2 sets of the DVDs on 2 different players (one of which is brand new), none of them will play (apart from the introduction). There is a note in with the DVDs saying that if this happens then "your DVD player does not run fast enough" (or something like that). I don't have a DVD on my PC to check it there.
Has anyone else had this problem? It seems like it must have been anticipated, as otherwise that note wouldn't have been included. Should I send them back and get the low tech video instead? :confused: Are there any techno wizards that can explain why this should apply to DVD players which have no trouble playing any other DVDs/MP3s, CDs?

Greg

All dvd's/videos are tested by me for sound & vision before posting however it's not possible to watch every dvd/video all the way through.

They say that DVD- discs should work in 96% of current dvd machines, last April I sent out 250 discs for Camber and received seven back not working, when I played them in my machine they all worked. A special film is put on them when made, sometimes this can cause the disc to freeze/jump in the machine, if it works in a laptop/home pc then unfortunely it just doesn't like your machine.

When this happens I'm happy to exchanged it for a video I'll even pay the postage, or it might be possible to supply you with a dvd with chapter points only, no menu's which is the other possibility for it not working, but until you contact me, as per the inside cover states (if you have problems with sound or picture) etc theirs not a lot I can do.

Steve "The Hitman" Strong :nice:

David Franklin
7th-September-2004, 12:06 PM
They say that DVD- discs should work in 96% of current dvd machines, last April I sent out 250 discs for Camber and received seven back not working, when I played them in my machine they all worked. A special film is put on them when made, sometimes this can cause the disc to freeze/jump in the machine, if it works in a laptop/home pc then unfortunely it just doesn't like your machine.The bottom line seems to be that DVDs recorded on a computer-type setup are somewhat finicky - especially for playback (have had far less problems with DVDs storing data files).

The "weirdest" case I've experienced was our Wedding DVD. A friend of ours who did a cabaret for it wanted an extra copy (from the videographer - i.e. not a knockoff). We got it, tested it on our machine, worked fine. Delivered to our friend, and it refused to play on his machine. He tried cleaning it (possibly somewhat over enthusiastically). No joy. We took it back, and it now refused to play on our machine (over several attempts). Then my best man asked if he could try it - refused on his machine as well. He sent it back to us through the post. Now here's the weird bit. That disk now plays perfectly on our machine! Maybe the post office has some magic machinery...!

As for the ordering - it does sound like a really good idea. :clap:

Dave